Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Sailor Goddess ❯ Konatsu's Wish ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Ranma One Half/Sailor Moon/Ah! My Goddess crossover Fan Fiction
By Michael A. Ivins
 
Ranma, and all of his/her friends and family are the creation of Rumiko Takahashi. I do not own any of them, nor do I own any of the characters from Ah! My Goddess or Sailor Moon. I'm writing this for fun, not profit. I'm so poor that suing me wouldn't do you much good.
 
WARNING: This is a sequel to a previous fic I wrote called, “Nodoka's Lessons.” That was a Lemon fic. While there won't be as much emphasis on sex (it will be more implied than described) in this sequel, it will deal with subjects like incest. If these subjects offend you, stop reading.
 
 
Chapter 15
Konatsu's Wish
 
In Celestial Realms at the home of Bast, Ranma knocked on the door. Shortly the cat goddess answered the door. The first time this had happened on a previous visit Ranma had been surprised that her friend had no servants. Now she just took it in stride.
 
The cat-eared humanoid hugged the redhead and exclaimed, “Princess, it's good to see you.”
 
Ranma just looked at her with a raised eyebrow. Finally, with a slight blush, the smaller goddess said, “I mean Ranma.”
 
At that the redheaded goddess tightened the hug with her friend. “Hi, Boo.”
 
After the two separated, the cat goddess asked, “You said you wanted to talk to me about something. What can I do for you?”
 
They went inside and sat in a pair of comfortable chairs. When she was settled, Ranma explained, “I'd like to get together with a doctor but I don't know how to find one here in Celestial Realms.”
 
Bast looked puzzled. “A doctor? Are you ill?”
 
“Not sick, but I am pregnant,” Ranma explained.
 
Her confusion deepening, the cat goddess asked, “Why would you need a doctor for that?”
 
Ranma rolled her eyes. “In the mortal realm most pregnant women seek out the services of a doctor, sometimes more than one. That physician would monitor the health of the mother and the baby and see to it that the pregnancy is progressing properly.”
 
The cat goddess seemed to consider that for a while. “Yes, I understand that, but mortal women have a lot of problems with pregnancy that goddesses don't. Most prominent is the fact that most deities can heal themselves. For the ones that can't there are healers. I was pretty sure that if your goddess powers didn't include healing then your Senshi powers do included self-healing. What's your real reason for asking?”
 
Ranma fidgeted a bit before saying, “Well, I don't know that I'm worried about me so much as the other women in my life. I told you that my father got turned into a woman and got pregnant?”
 
Bast agreed, “Yes, you told me about that. Considering the way she was in raising and training you it seemed like poetic justice.”
 
Ranma explained, “She recently gave birth and her labor was five hours long and painful. At the end of it she was exhausted. I was told that if she hadn't been very strong and physically fit, she could have had a lot more problems than she did.”
 
The cat goddess finally understood. “I see. You are concerned about your wives. You should know that there are very few doctors in the Celestial realms. There is Aesculepius the Greek god of medicine and by extension doctors. He spends most of his time working with doctors in the mortal realms. I doubt if he will be free to help you.”
 
“Oh.” Ranma sounded very disappointed.
 
At this the smaller woman pointed out, “For what you want, you don't really need a doctor. I think a midwife would be just as good, especially a divine midwife.”
 
The redhead was surprised to hear this. “A divine midwife? There actually is such a thing?”
 
Bast laughed. “In the same Egyptian pantheon as me there is Hathor. Among other things she is goddess of pregnancy and childbirth. Sort of out of necessity for her specialty she is also a midwife. She can check you out and she can also help your wives.”
 
Ranma breathed a big sigh of relief. “That sounds ideal. Could you introduce me to her?”
 
The cat goddess replied, “I can do better than that.” She went to pick up a telephone. She pressed no buttons but soon was saying into the handset, “Hathor, it's Bast. You were saying the other day you'd like to meet my friend Ranma.” There was a pause, then, “Yes, she's at my house right now. She believes she might need the services of a midwife.”
 
Bast smiled as she hung up the phone. “She'll be right over.”
 
Ranma felt a little surprise. “She wanted to meet me?”
 
With a smile the feline woman said, “You have a reputation. Nearly every deity in the Celestial Realms wants to meet you. They want to find out if you live up to that reputation.”
 
A short while later the doorbell rang and Bast ushered in what appeared to be a pretty young woman. She was wearing white pants that hugged her form and a white blouse with long, puffy sleeves that left her midriff bare. Her hair was black and she was wearing heavy eyeliner in the ancient Egyptian style.
 
After introductions she came to right to the point. “I was surprised to hear that you wanted a midwife. I'd heard that you are pregnant but I also heard that you had a lot of powers, including healing.”
 
Ranma nodded. “That's true, but it's not me that I'm concerned with so much. There are two mortal women who are pregnant with children from my male form. One of them is my mother.”
 
Hathor quirked an eyebrow. “Your mother? Oh, you sex gods.” She grinned, shaking her head.
 
Ranma gave a sheepish smile and said, “Actually, she got pregnant before I became divine.”
 
The goddess of childbirth took a moment to consider that. “Then I guess it makes more sense why they made you a sex deity. There were many who wondered about that.”
 
The redhead shrugged. “I wondered about it too. With the kind of training I've been getting, it just doesn't seem like what a sex deity would get. Sure, I've been given lots of training on sex, also counseling and stuff like that, but that's only been a small part of the training. A lot more of it was in martial arts, combat techniques and the like. Urd thinks it was to give me time to get that combat training in before Hell took an interest in me. Kami-Sama won't say what it's all for.”
 
Hathor chuckled. “That's the Boss for you. Sometimes I think he does that just because he likes being mysterious.”
 
Now intrigued, Bast asked, “Why do you say that?”

The older goddess explained, “I've seen situations where full disclosure would not have made any difference to the possible success of a mission and the Boss was still be all secretive and enigmatic about it. Now if the mission would fail without information, He'll tell, but only in that kind of situation.”
 
The cat goddess considered that for a moment then said, “Now that you mention it, I have seen Him behave that way. I just never thought about it before.”
 
Hathor frowned a bit. “I don't think He'll ever change. Sometimes I think He does it because He likes messing with people's heads.”
 
Ranma offered, “I think He feels that any lessons someone gets from the situation will stick better if they learn it for themselves instead of having it told to them.”
 
The black haired goddess nodded. “That's likely true too. It still doesn't mean He doesn't get some fun out of doing it.”
 
She stood up and walked over to Ranma. Gently she touched the redhead's face and Ranma could feel herself being probed. She endured the probing for a time.
 
When Hathor stepped back she said, “You don't need a midwife, at least not now. A mortal would probably say you are disgustingly healthy. The babies are both healthy and looking forward to being born. They say hello and that they love their mommy.”
 
Ranma sat back in her chair with eyes wide. “They spoke to you?”
 
The Egyptian goddess nodded. “At their current stage of development it is more emotions than words. Even so, the meaning was clear.”
 
With a contemplative expression on her face, Ranma gently patted her abdomen and said, “I love you kids too. I look forward to the chance to hold you in my arms.”
 
That evening, when Ranma returned to the Saotome home, Hathor went with her. When they entered the genkan Nodoka came in response to Ranma's call of “Tadaima.”
 
The elder Saotome noted, “Oh, you brought a guest.”
 
Ranma smiled. “She is much more than a guest. Saotome Nodoka, meet Hathor.”
 
The Egyptian goddess bowed and said, “I am goddess first class, category one, unlimited license. Among other things I am a goddess of pregnancy and childbirth. You must be Ranma's mother.”
 
Nodoka bowed and said, “Yes, I am. It is a pleasure to meet you, Hathor-San.”
 
The divine midwife turned and said, “Ranma, you didn't tell me your mother was beautiful.”
 
The redhead gave a sheepish smile. “I'm sorry, I thought you'd figure that part out. I mean, since she is my mom, I do kind of look like her.”
 
Hathor looked back and forth between mother and daughter and finally said, “You do look like her indeed. It's just that the few mortals that I've seen who were changed into goddesses got prettier as part of the transformation.”
 
The tall goddess shook her head. “I don't know about that. The only changes in my looks I could see were that I grew taller and my hair got longer. Other than the marks my face and figure are exactly the same as when I was mortal.”
 
The midwife shook her head. In a musing tone she said, “So you were mortal women with divine beauty. That is a potent combination. Even as a sex changer you must have got a lot of marriage proposals as well as other proposals less formal.”
 
Ranma nodded. “Considering my age most of it was just requests to date. Although there were a few guys that seemed to want to bypass the whole dating and getting married parts and go right to the honeymoon.”
 
Nodoka took that moment to say, “Where are my manners to keep a guest standing in the genkan? Please come in and make yourself comfortable.”
 
They went into the living room where introductions were repeated when they met Akane. Hathor complimented Ranma on her choice of wives.
 
When the pleasantries were out of the way the goddess of childbirth explained, “As part of my duties I have learned to be a midwife. It seems that Ranma is not confident about the abilities of a mortal obstetrician to deal with pregnancy where the father was a man with a magic curse. She asked me to check you out and, if needed, to be here to help with the delivery of your babies.”
 
Akane couldn't help noticing the omission in that. “What about Ranma's pregnancy? Won't she need help too?”
 
Hathor chuckled. “I think Ranma asked about a midwife for herself mostly because it's `what pregnant women do.' Goddesses with healing powers don't need an obstetrician or even a midwife. When Ranma delivers her babies, it's likely the most I'll be able to do for her is to hold her hand and tell her, `You're doing fine,' or `Push now.' Mostly that just amounts to moral support.”
 
The redhead responded, “I'd be happy for the moral support. You need to remember that I spent sixteen years as a guy and a couple more years as a part-time girl who was mostly in denial about her femininity. Ever since people found out that I was pregnant, I've been hearing the horror stories about difficult deliveries and rough pregnancies from older mothers. As much as I wanted to be a mother myself, I was nervous about what I'd have to go through to get there.”
 
The Egyptian goddess nodded. “I guess that makes sense. I also feel that even after all these months you are still feeling a little unsure of your divinity.”
 
Ranma shrugged. “Well… Yeah. I didn't really want to be a god/dess in the first place. Kami-Sama had to trick me to get me to make that Wish. Even after months of being this way, I still run into things that surprise me about it. I'm often saying, `I can really do that?'”
 
Hathor laughed. “That's better than some deities who go into a situation with the attitude, `I'm a god, I can do anything.' It is usually at times like that the one learns that they can't actually do everything.”
 
The divine midwife stood up. “Now we need to get to business. Because I am using magic and psychic energies to probe your bodies, I won't need to do any of the poking and prodding that a mortal doctor would do to you. All I need to do is to touch you. Do I have your permission to do that?”
 
Both Nodoka and Akane agreed. The midwife walked around behind Nodoka's chair and with the tips of her fingers, touched the sides of the auburn haired woman's face. Nodoka wasn't sensitive to magic and ki like Ranma was so she couldn't feel what was happening in her body other than a vague sense of warmth.
 
When the goddess lowered her hands after a few minutes she said, “Ranma told me about the pressure point technique that had been used to make you infertile. While the effects of the sex magic to increase your libido did erode the infertility, there were still some lingering aftereffects. They didn't prevent you from becoming pregnant, but they would have interfered with you having a healthy baby.”
 
Alarmed, Nodoka asked, “Can you do anything about it?”
 
Hathor smiled warmly. “I already did. Your sorcerer nephew said he didn't know enough about that area of a woman's body to try and correct your infertility. I know that area very well. I straightened out and repaired all of your damaged ki paths.”
 
The elder Saotome asked, “Damaged? What kind of damage are you talking about?”
 
The midwife explained, “The one who used the pressure point technique on you was clumsy. What he did to you accomplished his purpose of preventing you from getting pregnant, but it injured you. While you had recovered enough to conceive a child, you wouldn't have been able to carry that child to term. If I hadn't healed you just now you would have miscarried, probably quite soon. Besides the miscarriage you could have suffered problems that could have threatened your life. It would seem a good thing Ranma contacted me.”
 
“… A miscarriage? Damn that perverted little demon!”
 
Ranma muttered to herself, “If the old freak weren't already dead, I'd kill him for that.”
 
The Egyptian goddess soothed the expectant mother, “Don't let it trouble you. You're fine now and your baby is fine. For your age you are otherwise healthy and should have no further trouble.”
 
She walked over to the couch where Akane was seated and sat next to her. The goddess held out her hands and when the girl nodded, Hathor placed her fingertips on the sides of Akane's face. The black haired girl could sense something going on, but was unsure of what it was she was feeling.
 
After a few moments the goddess of childbirth withdrew her hands and sat back. “You are young, strong and in excellent health. Keep up your exercises and continue to eat a healthy diet and you should give birth to a healthy baby boy. That part about the exercise goes for you too, Nodoka-Chan. I know some mortal women take pregnancy as an excuse to be lazy. The more physically fit you are, the easier your pregnancy will be for you.”
 
The midwife turned. “I have heard of women in their sixties giving birth with no trouble. Still an eighteen year gap between your first delivery and your second could strain your body in ways you don't expect. I will come back next week to check on you again, Nodoka. As for you other two, I will look at you while I'm here, but I don't really expect to see anything different.
 
* * *
 
Time had passed. Ranma's belly has begun to expand, but hadn't gotten huge yet. She had been called to Heaven to report to the office of the Goddess Relief Hot Line. Urd was explaining what was going on.
 
The platinum blond goddess said, “You have an assignment. This is one that you knew would be coming.”
 
The redhead thought a moment then said, “Is this the time I'm finally going to help Konatsu?”
 
Urd smiled. “That's right, Ranma. The gender confused male kunoichi who is more girlish that a lot of the girls you know. The strategy that was decided for this is to grant him a Wish. With that he can wish himself to be turned into a girl or to win the love of that okonomiyaki chef he fancies if that is what he wants.”
 
Ranma asked, “Do you know if Konatsu still works for Kuonji Ukyo?”
 
The platinum blond goddess seemed surprised by the question. “I thought the girl was your best friend.”
 
Ranma snorted. “I think `was' is the important word there. I haven't seen her since she moved to Osaka right after I got married to Akane. I sent her letters but she never answered.”
 
Urd considered that. “So she didn't react well to your marriage?”
 
The redhead nodded. “You could say that. After the whole business with the Family Stone I had told her that I was finally comfortable with my curse and she would have to think about the engagement. I told her that I didn't think I would be comfortable married to a woman who didn't swing both ways. She said she would think about it.”
 
The older goddess asked, “What did she decide?”
 
Ranma shook her head. “I still don't know. I went back a couple of times to ask her if she wanted to continue the relationship on that basis and she just said she was still thinking. I got tired of waiting. To avoid the problems with the last attempt at a wedding, Akane and I eloped. Afterward I called Ukyo on the phone and told her. She hung up on me. A week later she closed her restaurant and moved to Osaka.”
 
“Have you been in touch with her after that?”
 
The redheaded goddess sighed sadly. “I tried. If I call on the phone she hangs up as soon as she knows it's me. I've sent letters and she never answers. I don't know if she even opens them. I guess she didn't get the idea that I still wanted her as a friend even if we didn't get married.”
 
The platinum blonde goddess said, “Well, I guess you will have a chance to reconnect with her. Konatsu still works for her at her new restaurant in Osaka.”
 
At the offices of the Goddess Relief Hotline Ranma had been fully briefed on what to expect, so she settled down at the desk and opened a book. The volume she was reading was full of schematics of the inner working of the Gates of Time. She had been over this material before but felt it was a good idea to review it. By now the redheaded goddess know the operations of the Gates backward and forward but was still learning some of the finer details about the hardware.
 
She got so involved with her reading that when the phone did ring; it came as a surprise. The display on the phone confirmed that it was Konatsu who was calling. Ranma pressed a button the phone. She spoke in even tones the phrase she had been taught. “You have reached the Goddess Relief Hotline. I will be there shortly to help you with your Wish.” Just as her finger was descending on the “release” button she could hear, “Huh?”
 
The one word was too short to say for sure, but it sounded like Konatsu. Ranma rubbed her hands together. She was looking forward to helping the ninja, she wasn't so sure about the likely confrontation with Ukyo.
 
At Okonomiyaki Ucchan's Restaurant in Osaka a young man dressed in a pretty kimono looked at the phone with a puzzled expression. Ukyo, the chef, noticed the expression and asked, “What's the problem, sugar?”
 
The girlish young man looked up and said, “I guess must have dialed wrong. I was trying to call the man who makes your throwing spatulas, as you asked me to. Instead I got something called the Goddess Relief Hotline.”
 
Ukyo frowned. “I never heard of that one before. Well, like you said, it must have been a wrong number.”
 
Konatsu nodded but still looked troubled. Ukyo noticed and asked, “Why are you still looking like that Ko-Chan?”
 
He hesitantly said, “I never heard of the place that answered the call, but the voice was familiar.”
 
“Oh? Who did it sound like?”
 
Looking thoughtful, the ninja answered, “Saotome Ranma.”
 
Now looking equally puzzled, Ukyo asked, “What would Ranchan be doing answering the phone for a Goddess Hotline?”

Konatsu just shrugged.
 
They were interrupted by a knock at the door. Ukyo called out, “We're closed!”
 
The knocking was repeated, this time a little more forcefully. The chef frowned and yelled out, “Come back at 11:00 when we open for lunch.”
 
The voice that spoke didn't seem to be shouting, yet it came through at a volume that could easily be heard. The ki-enhanced voice said, “I'm not here for lunch. I'm here on business.”
 
The chef grumbled as she walked toward the front door. All of her vendors knew by now they were supposed to go to the back door when they came to conduct business. This likely was a salesperson who was trying to get Ukyo to purchase her products instead of the suppliers she was already buying from.
 
Back in the kitchen Konatsu's frown deepened. The voice from the front door was exactly the same as the voice he had heard on the phone. Unless that person had been just across the street, how had she gotten here so fast?
 
When Ukyo unlocked the door and opened it she didn't immediately recognize the person standing there. It was a woman who stood a towering six foot two. She was a stunningly beautiful woman whose scarlet hair was in a ponytail that came all the way down to the bottom of her butt. She wore an elegant gown that left her arms and shoulders bare but came up in the front to a sort of choker around her neck. It looked like a large part of her back was bare. The gown appeared to be made of cream colored silk and came down to her ankles.
 
The woman standing there didn't look like a sales person. This woman looked ready to go out for a night on the town at an elegant restaurant or nightclub. The woman was made more exotic looking by the tattooed yin/yang symbols on her face.
 
The chef asked, “Can I help you?”
 
What she wasn't ready for was when the vision of divine beauty looked down at her and smiled broadly. In a voice that sounded cultured, the woman said, “Hi, Ucchan. Is Konatsu here?”
 
Huh? Only Ranchan ever called her that. This gorgeous and … stately… woman couldn't possibly Ranchan. Even when in female form her old friend never had this air of poise, didn't give this sense of elegance. Not only that, but the woman was radiating a sense of peace and calm a lot like Ono Kasumi.
 
Ukyo looked into the blue eyes and tentatively said, “R-Ranchan, is that you?”
 
The smile seemed to brighten. “Yes, It's me.”
 
The chef was floundering. “But you look so elegant and… feminine.”
 
The vision of loveliness inclined her head in a miniature bow. “Thanks Ucchan. That was the look I was trying for. I've had a lot of help in learning that kind of stuff. I think you should take a look at this before we talk anymore. I've got one for you too.”
 
The tall woman handed Ukyo a business card and passed a second one to Konatsu had come up behind his employer. On reading it Ukyo said, “Goddess?” The card now reflected how far Ranma had advanced. It now showed God/dess second class, category 1, Limited license. She was no longer considered an apprentice.
 
“Goddess?” Ukyo was having trouble grasping this. “When did you become a goddess?”
 
Ranma took a look around and politely requested, “Could we continue this conversation inside?”
 
Ukyo shook herself and stepped inside, clearing the door for the goddess to enter. As the tall woman walked in the chef again noted how graceful and poised she was as she moved. This looked more like some supermodel than the boy turned girl she was used to. There was no trace of masculinity visible in the person in front of her.
 
When the door was locked, Ranma directed, “Hold the business card by the upper left and lower right corners. When you've done that, squeeze and let go.”
 
Ukyo complied then looked from the booklet in her hand to the woman who had given her the card. Ranma told her, “It would be simpler if you just read the booklet. It's a quick read.”
 
After she had read the booklet, Ukyo looked at the goddess and said, “Did you say you were here for Konatsu?”
 
“That's right,” the goddess confirmed. “Look, if I could have avoided a confrontation with you I would have, but to meet with Konatsu I almost have to see you too. I suppose I could have waited to approach him until he had left to do some shopping or something.”
 
Sounding stricken, Ukyo asked, “You didn't want to talk to me?”
 
As she replied, Ranma kept her expression neutral, but there was still a trace of hurt in her tone. “You refused to talk to me, but you made your wishes clear enough. You moved away from Nerima without saying goodbye. You hung up on me when I called you on the phone and you never answered the letters I sent. I can only assume you found it painful to talk to me. I never wanted to cause you any pain.”
 
Ukyo couldn't understand why she couldn't summon up the anger she wanted. She should be furious at Ranma, but the aura of peace she was radiating prevented it. She said in a reasonable tone, “You married Akane. What was there left for me?”
 
The goddess shook her head. “I told you how it was with me. I can't say I'm completely male or female anymore. I really am both. I told you that the person (or people) I marry had to be willing to accept that. While I would want that in someone I would marry, I never meant that it was a condition for friendship. I never meant for you to think that you have to jump into bed with my girl side to stay my friend.”
 
The chef protested, “I do love you Ranchan. I just wasn't sure I could deal with you on that basis. I don't really think I swing that way.”
 
Ranma bowed her head for a moment. “I'm sorry if my coming here opens old wounds. I'm here as a goddess on an assignment. Konatsu had been found to be deserving of a Wish and as the god/dess of Yin and Yang I was deemed the best qualified to help with that.”
 
Ukyo couldn't let that pass. “You're not here for me?”
 
Looking surprised, Ranma said, “Ucchan, you've made it clear that, in spite of your cross dressing, you are firmly convinced of your heterosexuality and comfortable with it. My area of responsibility is specifically to help those people who are confused about their sexuality. You don't need my services.”
 
Not wanting to surrender on this matter, Ukyo turned to an attack. She demanded, “Are you even a real goddess?”
 
A sad expression on her face, Ranma unfolded her wings and manifested her divine aura. Ukyo dropped to her knees while Konatsu actually groveled on the floor.
 
After standing that way for a moment Ranma folded her wings and made them vanish. She pulled in her aura so that only those people who were sensitive to such things would be able to detect it.
 
When Ukyo finally made it back to her feet, Ranma told her, “I'm sorry that my presence here disturbs you. It was not my intention to hurt you. You've moved away from me and moved on with your life. At least I hope you've moved on with your life. I grieve for the friendship that we once had, but I too had to move on. I have responsibilities now. Since my presence makes you uncomfortable, would you excuse Konatsu for a while to leave and talk to me privately?”
 
The chef turned to her waitress, “Konatsu?”
 
The male kunoichi diffidently asked, “May I, Ukyo-Sama? I really think I need to hear what she has to say.”
 
Ukyo nodded. “Yeah, you can go upstairs. I'm going to finish setting up for lunch.” She paused for a moment then looked at the goddess in her form-fitting gown. She asked, “Ranchan, are you getting fat?”
 
Ranma's eyebrows went up. “Now I know you haven't been reading the letters I sent you. Ucchan, I'm pregnant, about six months along.” She patted her abdomen and added in a tone of satisfaction, “I'm going to have twins.”
 
The chef's mouth hung open and her eyes were nearly bugged out. “You… twins…” For a while longer she just stood and moved her mouth. Finally she said, “You… really are a girl.”
 
Ranma sighed. “I tried to tell you that. You didn't seem to want to hear me when I told you that when I was in female form I was as much a girl as someone who was born that way. That even includes getting pregnant. But to be more accurate I would have to point out that I am more than just a girl now. I am a goddess and a god now too. I know you read the booklet. Now you just need to try and believe it.”
 
She turned away from the confused chef and started up the stairs. Ranma took it for granted that Konatsu would follow her.
 
When they reached the living room in the apartment over the restaurant, Ranma sat on the couch and leaned back. She let go a huge sigh and said, “That went about the way I expected. I was hoping we could still be friends but it looks like her ideas of romance got in the way of the friendship.”
 
Konatsu waited for Ranma to get through her emotional moment.
 
The goddess looked up and said, “Now, you will want to know about this wish business.”
 
The ninja said, “Well… yes. I confess that I am curious. Is this anything like the wishes that genies give in the old stories?”
 
Ranma smiled. “In a way they are similar. The biggest difference is that most of the genies in the stories were granting wishes because they were forced to do so. They were usually enslaved or bound to the lamp or whatever other vessel they were kept in. As a result of that they were required to grant the wish, but were always looking for a way to turn it against the person making the wish.”
 
The goddess continued, “The Goddess Relief Hotline is often one of the first assignments of a new god or goddess. It can often be looked at as proof that the new deity has graduated from apprentice status. You could say this is my first `real' assignment. I have been working on a job that I was specially recruited for. While this isn't the first time I have actually worked in my specialty, the previous time wasn't an official assignment. You could say I'm feeling kind of excited to be here right now.”
 
Konatsu considered that. “Are you saying you were assigned specifically to me?”
 
The goddess nodded. “That's right. You read the booklet so you know my area of specialization. You were born male but were raised as a girl and trained in a girl's Art. You dress as a girl and act like one. Indeed it has been said that you are more feminine than your employer, Ukyo. I can tell that you resent having a male body. In spite of that you are in love with Ukyo.”
 
The boy in the kimono blushed bright red. Ranma told him, “I'm sorry if that embarrasses you, but this is my job. If it helps you could try to think of me as you would about a doctor.”
 
The young man nodded and tried to control his embarrassment.
 
Ranma studied the kunoichi's face for a moment before continuing. “Before we get to you actually making your wish I need to give you a little more information. This is a true divine Wish in the classic sense. You could wish for literally anything. However before you make your wish I advise you think carefully about what kind of wish you want to make. While I would hope you would wish for something specific to your gender issues you are not limited to that.”
 
Konatsu considered that. “Could you explain that a little more?”
 
The redhead nodded. “The `classic' wishes are for things like wealth, power, immortality, that sort of thing. You have to be very careful when you make wishes like that. Most especially you should be careful of how you phrase it. There is no rule against asking about it before making an `official' Wish. It was from making a wish that I hadn't thought out properly that I became a god/dess.”
 
The kunoichi looked puzzled. “I'm confused. Are you saying you didn't want to be a goddess?”
 
“No, I didn't,” she confirmed. “I'm used to it now and getting to where I actually like some things about it.”
 
Displaying his intelligence, the young man asked, “Are there any other wishes that I should watch out for?
 
“I'm glad you asked,” Ranma approved. “I can't tell you if you don't ask. One of the kinds of wishes that can easily have unintended consequences are the ones that change the past. The type of thing I'm talking about is like where you would say, `I wish I'd never met' this person or that person. Or you may have said to yourself that `If this one event in my life had gone differently, my life wouldn't be the mess that it is now.' The problem is that other people and events intruding could result in your life being an even worse mess. Or even worse if that event went differently later events could cause you to die.”
 
After a pause she added, “There is also the chance that you were wrong in your assessment of where your life went wrong. If the event you Wish to change was just a symptom of the problem and not the cause, you risk wasting a wish without fixing the problem.”
 
Konatsu took that in and weighed it carefully. “If I understand correctly you are saying then it's better to try to wish for something that will change things for me now, rather than try to change the past.”
 
The goddess confirmed, “Right! Another thing to think about is this: If you use your Wish to change that one event in the past and it causes you to change because of it, you could find out that you don't like the person you change into. With wishes of that type you would be the only one aware of the changes.”
 
The ninja nodded. “I think I understand.”
 
He thought about it for a time. “I often feel as if I am a woman in a man's body. I think I would like to become truly female in body as well as in spirit. However, I still feel reservations about it. Could I wish to be like you and get the ability to change from male to female and back?”
 
Ranma nodded. “You could wish for that. I need to point out that this is one of those things where you have to be careful how you phrase your wish. If you wished to be able to change like I do you could end up becoming a god/dess like me.”
 
Now curious, Konatsu asked, “Is being a goddess all that bad?”
 
The redhead looked down at the floor for a moment. “I'm immortal now. You might believe that's a good thing, but think about this - Because of my stupidly worded wish, I can look forward to watching people I love grow old and die while I don't change or age in the least.”
 
 
“Oh. I'm so sorry, Ranma-Sama.”
 
“Don't let it trouble you,” Ranma said. “It's my problem. I still haven't quite figured out how to deal with it. Part of me thinks that I shouldn't try to get into relationships with anyone or to just limit myself to other immortals. I've already been told that I can't change my current lovers into deities. I guess I've got a long time to think about it. That still doesn't change the fact that I'm in relationships with mortals now and will have that pain to look forward to.”
 
To divert the conversation away from what was obviously a painful subject for Ranma, Konatsu said, “Right, so I have to be careful not only about what I say as my Wish, but how I say it. If I were to wish to get the same curse you used to have, would that work?”
 
Ranma nodded. “That would work. It would allow you to try out being a girl. If you decided that it was what you really wanted there are ways of locking the curse so you would stay a girl for the rest of your life.”
 
“I see,” the ninja said thoughtfully. “Could I make the wish that I get the same curse you had along with the means to lock it should I decide to use it later?”
 
The goddess smiled. “I'm glad to see that you're taking this seriously and thinking carefully about it.”
 
She paused a moment then went on. “I hope you won't mind a bit more advice. If you do wish for the sex change curse it must be because it is what you want. You must know that changing sex won't make Ukyo love you. You only have to look at the way she reacted to my curse to see that. I'd like to hope that she would still see you as a friend after you changed. In my case it was an example of how romance can ruin a friendship.”
 
The ninja considered that for a time. “You very likely are right about that. I believe that Ukyo-Sama's feelings toward me are more those of a woman to a girl who is a friend rather than a woman for a man. I don't think it likely that my becoming a real girl would change that. In fact, since I wouldn't plan on making any glaringly obvious changes in my behavior, there is even the chance that she may not notice, at least not right away.”
 
Ranma nodded. “I can see that. On the idea that she might not notice, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to keep quiet about it. I'm not saying you should make any kind of public announcement, but I think you should tell Ucchan. Since you live in the same place and work together, she is the one most likely to find out. Since she does consider you a friend, she might see it as some kind of betrayal if you try to keep something that big a secret from her.”
 
A thoughtful expression on his face, the kunoichi nodded. “There is truth in what you say.”
 
Ranma went on, “There is another thing to think about. You are assuming your female form would look pretty close to your male form. Think about how different my female form was. As a girl I was a lot shorter, weighed less and had a different hair color.”
 
Demonstrating that he had been thinking about it, Konatsu asked, “Couldn't I specify as part of the wish that my female form will look similar to my current appearance?”
 
“Yes, you can!” With a smile Ranma pulled a notepad from stuff space and started jotting down notes. After a moment she read off, “Here's what I have so far. You would like to be able to change sex with hot and cold water like my original Jusenkyo curse. You want your female form to be completely female but to look enough like your current male form that people would have trouble noticing the difference. You also want the means to lock the curse should you decide you like being female and want to be that way permanently. You are willing to let Ukyo make up her own mind about whether she sees you either as friend or maybe something more. Does that sum up the wish you want to make?”
 
Konatsu weighed that listing carefully. He asked, “Do you think I have left myself enough escape clauses?”
 
Ranma nodded. She said, “I won't lie to you. Getting the Jusenkyo girl curse is not something you can get out of. Once you get it you will at the very least be stuck with changing for the rest of your life if you don't chose to be locked as female. The curse magic fights against a cure. Gods and goddess can cure it, but they probably won't because the curses are supposed to teach you something.”
 
Intrigued, Konatsu asked, “What did you learn from your curse?”

Without hesitation, Ranma answered, “That women are not weak. They have their own strengths and weaknesses that may be different from those of men, but they still have strengths. I learned that I like being a girl as much as I liked being a boy, but not so much that I would want to be female permanently. On the other hand, if I were to be permanently locked as female, I think I could live with that and learn to like it.”
 
Konatsu cocked his head at an angle and out of curiosity asked, “How are you enjoying being pregnant?”
 
Ranma smiled patted her enlarged abdomen. “That isn't really a fair question. I had only been pregnant for a few hours when I was transformed into a god/dess. Goddesses don't go through the same discomforts associated with pregnancy as mortal women do. Compared to what my mom and Akane are going through I'm getting all of the good parts of pregnancy and none of the bad parts.”
 
She paused a moment before going on. “When you think about getting locked in female form you should consider what it might be like if you get pregnant. I know that you currently don't hold a high opinion of men in general but there is still the chance that you may meet a man you would fall in love with and to whom you would want to give yourself. You may find a man of sufficiently good character that you would want to bear a child or children for him.”
 
Konatsu looked down at his own abdomen. While thinking about what Ranma had just said he placed both hands on his stomach and said, “You're right that I don't much like men but I can imagine the possibility of such a thing happening. If I did, it wouldn't be with any of the men I know now. Maybe it could happen with some man I have yet to meet or possibly if Ukyo-sama were to somehow to become a man.” He hastily added, “That's not part of the wish. I wouldn't inflict that on anyone without their consent.”
 
From down the stairs Ukyo's voice sounded, “Hey, Ko-Chan! We're almost ready to open. Will you be much longer? I'm gonna need my waitress.”
 
The ninja called back, “I'll just need a few more minutes. We're almost done here.”
 
“Ok”
 
Konatsu looked at Ranma and said, “Before I let doubts change my mind, I will make my official Wish. I Wish to get the Jusenkyo girl curse according the specifications we just discussed. In addition to that I include as part of the wish that I be given the means to lock myself in female form should I decide that I prefer that over changing from male to female and back. Just like the notes you read to me.”
 
At the last word the marks on Ranma's face began to glow. A shaft of light penetrated the ceiling and shined down on the goddess as she floated up to hang suspended between the floor and the ceiling. In a voice that seemed to come from everywhere at the same time, Ranma said, “Wish Granted.”
 
“Ack!” Konatsu exclaimed as he suddenly found himself drenched in water that seemed to come from nowhere. No… That was she that was drenched. Did the water have to be so cold?
 
The kunoichi pulled at the top of her kimono and looked down inside. Next she reached inside. She had been wearing a bra stuffed with cotton balls to give herself the simulated shape of breasts. That padding was now pressing uncomfortably on her real breasts. Somewhat gingerly she pulled the cotton out and let the bra cups settle on top of the new parts of her anatomy.
 
The new woman commented, “I think you've made me bigger than this bra was designed for.”
 
Ranma chuckled and said, “I didn't do it. Those are the breasts you would have developed if you had been born female.” She produced a hand mirror and gave it to Konatsu.
 
The ninja looked at herself and touched her fingers to her face. “I guess I look pretty close that what I did as a man.” She took a closer look and realized, “I'm not wearing any makeup. Before it took a fair amount of cosmetics to get that feminine looking face.”
 
The goddess smiled. “Now you're what's called a `natural beauty.' With no make up at all you're pretty. With the right cosmetics you would look gorgeous, even hot. Even back before I got the goddess upgrade people always said the same sort of thing about me. Since then I stopped paying attention to it.”
 
Konatsu rested her hands on her hips and looked down at herself. “My hips are wider now.”
 
Ranma nodded with a smirk. “That's normal for a woman too. Your waist is slimmer too. If you don't wear things too tightly cinched at the waist, the difference shouldn't be very noticeable. Before you dressed to give the illusion of a feminine shape, but now you really have that shape. In fact you have a very pretty and sexy woman's body. You are trim, fit and muscular from all of your ninja training but you have curves in all the right places. You will likely have to put up with more flirting from your male customers.”
 
The new woman laughed at that. “I've learned how to deal with that.”
 
Suddenly Konatsu noticed something lying at her feet. It was a metal flask that looked just big enough to hold a liter of fluid. She handed the mirror back to Ranma, then picked up the flask and asked, “Is this…?”
 
Ranma confirmed, “That is water from the Chiisuiton. If you decide that you like being female and want to stay that way, pour that over your head and let it drip down your body. The means to unlock a Jusenkyo curse that has been locked was destroyed. A god or goddess has the power to undo the lock or to cure the curse completely. A god or goddess can also change you so that the female is your true form with no curse. I already did that once for someone.“
 
The ninja opened her mouth to speak but Ranma motioned for her to be silent. “I can't promise to be available to do that if you want it. While the gods like to grant Wishes from time to time, we don't want mortals to depend on us to bail them out of their problems all the time. If you do decide to stay female, use the water in the flask. If my duties allow, I will try to come to see you in a year and see what you have decided. I may not be allowed to change you the way I described. We'd have to see at the time. I strongly recommend that you find a secure place to hide that flask. You may even want to put it somewhere like a bank safe deposit box.”
 
Konatsu nodded. “I'll do that. It should be safe enough for today to just hide it in my room. Ukyo-Sama would not be likely to recognize the significance of the flask. I will see about getting to the bank tomorrow.”
 
Ranma made a gesture with her hand and the water that soaked the ninja's clothes was immediately gone, leaving her completely dry. The bra that had been uncomfortably tight now fit with perfect comfort. The goddess explained, “I changed your bra so it fits you comfortably now and I dried your clothes. One thing you're going to have to get used to for the time you have the curse or until you lock it, you will be a water magnet. If there is the slightest chance of getting splashed you will be. Since it's magic you can expect to get rained on out of an otherwise clear sky or even water to flow uphill to get you wet.”
 
The ninja nodded. “I remember that about your own curse.”
 
The goddess commented, “In your favor is the fact that you're going to want to stay in your cursed form as much as you can. Cold water is easier to find that hot. That means you are less likely to have accidents that change you into a male when you don't want to be one. However, working in a restaurant and serving hot tea there is a lot of opportunity to get splashed with hot water. Since your two forms look so much alike it shouldn't be a problem to get cold water to change back to female without anyone noticing.”
 
Ranma jotted some things down and tore off a sheet from her notepad. When she handed that to the new girl she explained, “The female outer clothing you have now should still fit you mostly. As soon as you can you should go out and buy some new feminine undergarments. These are the sizes you will need.”
 
She paused a moment then said, “If you stay in female form long enough at a stretch you will have a menstrual period, just like any other woman. That could be one of the things that makes you decide you don't want to be locked as a woman. If you decide to tell Ukyo about it, she should be able to help you deal with it. She will know what feminine products to use and can advise you.”
 
Konatsu asked, “Have you had to deal with that?”
 
The goddess nodded. “I wouldn't have been able to get pregnant if I hadn't. Once you start the only way to avoid the cycle is by being male when that `time of the month' comes. Even being in male form during your period doesn't guarantee that you will feel Ok. I went through a lot of worry, pain and shame because I was embarrassed and didn't want to tell anyone what was happening to me. If you're smart you won't try to hide it from Ukyo when it happens to you.”
 
As they walked toward the stairs Konatsu said, “I'll keep that in mind.”
 
When they got to the bottom of the stairs Ukyo nodded and said, “About time. I'm just about to open the door for lunch.”
 
She paused and peered at her waitress. “Did you make a wish? I thought I heard Ranchan call out that your wish was granted but you don't look different.”
 
The ninja smiled and said, “Maybe you're not looking close enough. She gestured at her breasts and said, “These are real now, not cotton stuffed in a bra. I've wished for the curse Ranma used to have so I can try out being a real girl. I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell a lot of people about it.”
 
Ukyo's eyes went wide for a moment as she looked her waitress over. Then she shrugged and said, “Most of our customers think you're a real girl anyway. It shouldn't be that big of an adjustment.”
 
Konatsu just smiled and bowed her head.
 
As they turned toward the door, Ukyo stopped and quoted, “'Curse Ranma used to have?' Are you permanently a girl now?”
 
Ranma shook her head. “Because of the way I worded the Wish that got me divine I can still change back and forth.”
 
“Oh, that's too bad.”
 
The goddess frowned then sighed, “I can see you still don't understand. I like being able to change from male to female & back. As I have been told, changing sex is now one of my divine powers. Of course right now I have to stay female until after my babies are born.”
 
The chef mentally kicked herself. It wasn't fair. Ranma was supposed to be the one who was always putting her foot in her mouth.
 
Ranma walked with Ukyo toward the door and stood while the chef turned the knob to unlock the main entrance. The goddess said, “I've got other stuff that I have to do. If either of you need me for anything I will still be living at my Mom's house at least until my babies are born and likely for at least a few months after that. Beyond that I don't know. My duties may require me to move or even to travel.”
 
Not sure why she was asking, the chef still felt some concern. “Are things Ok between you and Akane?”
 
The goddess nodded then said, “So far things are Ok. I do get the feeling that Akane is not completely happy with all the time I have to spend away from her on Divine business. Besides that I have other responsibilities that take up some of my time. I still love her and can sense that she still loves me. I'm worried that there may come a time when that isn't enough.”
 
She shook herself. “Anyway what I wanted to say was that my phone number is still the same at Mom's house. If either of you want to just get together with me and talk, give me a call and I'll be over as soon as my duties allow. If you have an emergency that I can help you with, this is my cell phone number.” She handed Ukyo two cards.
 
The redhead cautioned, “Like I said, that's for emergencies. Give the other card to Konatsu. Call me at that number only if you are in danger of dying without my help.” Then she walked out the door.
 
Ukyo just stood and stared at the door for a while. She idly tapped the card with Ranma's cell phone number against her palm. Ranchan was so different now. He… no she was so poised and mature. The awkwardness, the macho bravado were gone. She wanted to believe that it was an act, but she wasn't so sure.
 
The young chef was shaken out of her introspection when the first of her lunch customers pushed open the door, ringing the door chime. Ukyo pocketed the card and headed off to the kitchen while Konatsu stepped forward to greet the customer.
 
The young woman wearing the bandolier of throwing spatulas reflected on the fact that here was something else new that she would have to get used to. Her waitress wasn't a boy who looked like a pretty girl at the moment - she really was a pretty girl. Those seductive curves she had now were no longer the product of padding and artifice but real womanly curves.
 
While Konatsu took the customer's order, Ukyo thought on another matter. It was now a goddess who was saying she wanted to be her friend. It was true that Ranchan hadn't placed conditions on their friendship, only on any possible marriage. Was it time to put aside her dreams of a life as Ranma's wife and seriously consider what was offered? Having a deity as a friend was a possibility that should not dismissed lightly.
 
When Ranma had married it had placed him beyond her reach as a possible husband. Because of the demands of her father that supposedly only left killing Ranma as a way to regain her family honor. That was an option Ukyo had refused to consider. She still cared for Ranma too much to even attempt such a thing.
 
Now that Ranma was a god/dess it put a whole new complexion on things. The chef decided she didn't know enough to make any decisions. After work she would need to have a long talk with Konatsu. After that it would probably be a good idea to get Ranchan's unopened letters out of the box she had stored them in and actually read them. Maybe after that she could plan on what she was going to say to her father. Even if Ukyo were willing to try and kill Ranma, that likely would no longer be an option.
 
Author's Note: It was a long time coming, but Konatsu's problem has finally been addressed. Sorry to be so predictable on this one.