Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Prisoner of War: Akai ❯ Prologue: Discovery ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Prisoner Of War: Akai
 
Prologue: Discovery
~
“Forget about the one I left at home,
I need to run far away,
Can't go back to that place,
Like she told me…
I'm just a big disgrace.”
~
Zuko could feel his chest tighten, adrenaline pumping through his veins. He had just been discovered in the engine room of Zhao's ship, after managing to destroy three of five cooling valves a guard finally appeared to investigate the loud explosions. Zuko smirked to himself as he barely made out the word ghost over the clang of the navy's metal plated boots and gushing steam spouts. With a fleeting smile the young man disappeared into a vent that he would follow for several minutes before reaching the life boats.
 
He had rigged one up earlier in the day after he and Iroh had spoken about Zhao's true plans, he leapt into the boat which almost instantly snapped the frayed rope that had fastened it to the Fire Navy Ship. Zuko smirked as he impacted upon the icy waters of the North, now it was Zhao who was at the disadvantage. His fleet would not be here for another week or two to help with the repairs, leaving them to sit on this section of the Northern seas. He could hear the boat groaning as it slowly came to a halt, huge jets of steam and soot hissing forth from the large smoke stacks.
 
The Prince gave the Large Navy ship one last glance before rowing into the near darkness; his hood and mask up to protect his head from the harsh elements to which he was not accustom to. But even his warm clothing and natural resistance to cold began to fail him as his sweat began to saturate the warm insolated cloth from the inside causing its heat resistance to fail slowly. The Fire bender began to slow down, his fingers growing numb at his futile attempts to continue his break neck pace. He lost his grip on his oars as his small boat suddenly jolted to a stop.
 
Peering over the edge through the darkness Zuko could see large pieces of ice holding the frame of his boat free of the water, “Think you can just sneak onto our waters, eh?” A smug voice called, the exhausted prince suddenly felt himself being pinned to the small boat by thick pieces of ice around his ankles. “You idiots think that can hold me?” He scoffed, but his retort was quickly silenced as a bone tipped spear slashed him across the abdomen, he grit his teeth as warm blood began to pour from the painful wound.
~
Katara sat in silence as she watched the antics of everyone around her, the Water Lord was hosting a feast at Aang's arrival and the little monk seemed to be happily adapting to the cold Northern Water Tribe. Young girls giggled at him cutely as he sat grinning like an idiot, she sighed. Sokka was grinning like an idiot too, `But…. Then again, when wasn't he?' She thought to herself as she watched her brother flirt with Princess Yue through half lidded eyes. Her eyes were beginning to feel heavy with fatigue when suddenly the loud boom of the halls doors being thrown open startled her out of her almost sleeping state. A gasp arose from the many Northerners in the hall, their Lord rose quickly from his seat; his brow furrowed with a frown. “What is the meaning of this disturbance, Hahn?” The young warrior smirked at the older man, “We've got another guest my Lord, but I would not think he is to be welcomed in the same fashion as our other esteemed visitors…” He said signaling out into the hall for someone, another gasp arose as a bloody figure was dragged in across the whitish grey floor.
 
Katara's eyes widened in horror as Hahn's men dragged in a blood soaked and disheveled Zuko, his handsome amber eyes now marred by a bestial glare. The Water Lord rose, his kind face darkened, “So you're the wretch Hahn was telling me about… You that has slain five of my most courageous warriors men… How dare you, a Fire Nation dog even show your face on our waters?!” Zuko raised his eyes in with a smug smirk at the furious Lord, “… No ocean or Kingdom will welcome the face of this dog, and if cowards who gang up on and attack a weaponless and travel weary warrior are courageous, then your lands and waves MUSTbe fit for an exiled dog such as myself…”
 
Yue watched her father return to his seat, his face red with fury. She cast Sokka a worried glance, “That boy… He's a dead man now; I have never seen my father so furious…” The young man shook his head calmly, “Don't feel bad for him Yue; he doesn't deserve your sympathy.” Sokka said, watching as the Water Lord summoned a tall and lithe old man from the crowd. “Master Pakko, punish this insolent whelp….” The older man nodded with out a word as he summoned water from the floor.
 
Katara watched as the master water bender began to harshly flog the Fire Nation Prince, the thick water whip's dark color confirming her fears; that was not fresh water but pain inducing salt water. Steam hissed from the fire bender's back as his body attempted to protect itself from the heavy onslaught, but the Prince's eyes remained focused on the Water Lord in an unblinking glare. He made no sound as his skin was split open painfully by the searing force of the water as it streaked across his now bared back.
 
Katara could feel bile pulling at he back of her throat, enemy or not she could not stand by and watch as someone was treated so cruelly. “Stop it!” She cried, using her bending powers to quell the movement of the whip, “You're only lowering yourselves to the Fire Nation's level! He deserves a trial, has this war really driven us so low?” She said shaking her head as she moved down to Zuko's side. The Prince's glazed eyes were still fixed on the Water Lord even though he was unconscious and barely sitting upright. She reached out slowly, placing her index and middle finger to the side of his neck, a relieved sigh escaping her slightly partial lips as she felt the dull thud of his pulse.
 
“….You are right young one, I am sorry. I do not know what came over me… This young woman speaks the truth! We should not lower ourselves to their level. The boy shall be given his trial on the upcoming full moon.” He waved his hand motioning for the guards to take him away, Katara raised an eyebrow slowly. “You're putting him in a sell in that condition??” She questioned, jumping up quickly. “Yes… We are, is there anything wrong with that?” She narrowed her eyes at the response, “He'll bleed to death before the end of this week, let alone the next two!”
 
The water Lord raised his brows inquiringly, “What would you like? The duty of caretaker?” Katara blushed angrily, “I don't want him to be pampered, I just think its wrong you would let him die before giving him the fair trial you so KINDLY offered him.”
“Alright then, who of the healers would like to heal the boy?” A murmur of conversation swept the room but no one rose to take the responsibility, avoiding eye contact with Aang and Sokka Katara nodded. “….I will take full responsibility for caring and watching over him…” The Water Lord nodded, “Lady Izumi, help Katara with some of your healing supplies and you men carry him to the prison wards, everyone else… Let the festivities continue!”