Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Smile Because It Happened ❯ Chapter 3

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 3
 
Katara entered her father's private lodge, a rather confused look on her face. “Dad, have you seen Aang or Sokka anywhere? I've looked everywhere, but it's almost like they're not in the village at all.”
 
Hakoda looked up from the piece of parchment he had been staring at. His eyes were soft and filled with a muted joy, but his expression was one of wistful reflection. “Oh, good morning, Katara.”
 
She walked over to kneel by her father's side. Gazing at the picture in his hand, she placed her hand gently on his shoulder. “I miss her too, Dad.”
 
The older man sighed and carefully laid the sketch of his wife back in its proper place inside his personal trunk. “I'm always wishing she were still here,” he murmured, his voice quiet as a snowfall, “but right now, I could really use her advice.”
 
Katara looked puzzled. “Is something wrong?”
 
He glanced up at her and abruptly his gaze seemed to clarify. “Oh… uh, no, honey.” He smiled and the sadness that had been present evaporated as if it had never been. “You asked me something. I'm sorry- my mind was elsewhere.”
 
She grinned. “At least it didn't abandon camp completely, like Sokka's does half the time.”
 
Hakoda laughed. “It does, doesn't it?”
 
“Speaking of Sokka, I've been looking all over the place for him, but neither him nor Aang seem to be anywhere in the village. Did they leave on Appa or something?”
 
The Water Tribe Chieftain looked positively thoughtful. “I believe they said they were heading to the Southern Air Temple today.” He handed her a scroll sealed with the Air Nomad symbol. “Aang left this for you.”
 
A suspicious look on her face, Katara broke the seal and opened the scroll to read the contents. “Katara- Sokka, Suki and I are heading to the Southern Air Temple and we'd like you to join us as soon as you can. I'm sending Appa back for you and your dad. Love, Aang.
 
Katara raised her head and gave her father a skeptical look. “That's awful vague. Why would they head to the Southern Air Temple out of the blue like that?”
 
Hakoda shrugged and concentrated on putting away his personal things in their trunk. “Maybe he needed to pray to the spirits of his people for guidance?” he suggested. “It was his home, remember.”
 
She didn't appear convinced. “Then why take Sokka and Suki? Suki shouldn't be tr-…” she trailed off, remembering it wasn't her place to tell Hakoda about her delicate condition. (As if anything about the Kyoshi warrior could be called “delicate.”)
 
“It was his decision to take them, wasn't it? Don't question it.” Hakoda stood up and stretched. “Well, we should probably get going then. Don't want to leave Appa waiting out there in the snow.”
 
Katara wasn't stupid. “What's going on, Dad? Why is everyone gone? And why is Aang asking both of us to fly to the Temple on such short notice? Something isn't right.”
 
He frowned. “Did you ever think maybe it's a celebration for Sokka and Suki's upcoming addition?”
 
Blue eyes flew wide. “You… you know?”
 
“How could I not?” He chuckled. “She's been eating more meat than a tiger-whale.” He winked at his daughter. “Your mother was the same way when she was pregnant with your brother.”
 
“Oh, lord. Does Sokka know?”
 
Hakoda shook his head. “Don't think so.” He belted his summer parka and headed for the door hide to hold it open for her. “I love my son, but he's about as sharp as a bag of slush when it comes to female things.”
 
Katara giggled as she left the lodge. “That's Sokka for you.”
 
.o(O)o.
 
Aang beamed cheerfully as he glided out to meet the huge flying bison and his passengers. “Welcome back, Appa ol' buddy!”
 
“Aang!” Katara called, waving one hand in the air.
 
“Hey, Katara!” Aang hollered back. “Glad you decided to come!”
 
The Waterbender blinked, confused. “I had a choice?” she asked her father without turning her attention from her boyfriend, who swooped to the side and out in front of his bison's nose, apparently leading the way.
 
Hakoda cleared his throat and looked away. “Not really.”
 
Unconsciously, Katara smoothed her dark orange skirt, which was covering a pair of loose brown pants. “I suppose I do need to be here,” she mused. “Especially to make sure my brother doesn't make an ass of himself.”
 
“Katara!”
 
She blushed. “Sorry. But it's true.”
 
He snorted. “Still. You shouldn't use language like that. A proper woman always-“
 
“Conducts herself quietly, demurely, and with pride. I know.”
 
Hakoda sighed. “Where did I go wrong with you?”
 
Katara grinned. “You let me run away on countless adventures with my scatter-brained brother, a childish monk, a foul-mouthed Earthbender, and a spoiled prince.”
 
Her father's eyes reflected his daughter's image- now a young, beautiful woman. “I suppose I should be happy you came home with your honor intact, considering.”
 
“Dad!”
 
He shrugged. “Sokka's told me all about Haru…”
 
Katara blushed lightly. “Nothing happened!”
 
“…Jet…”
 
Her blush deepened. “I was naïve.”
 
“…Zuko…”
 
Katara's jaw dropped. “Zuko? Who said anything about Zuko?”
 
Hakoda gave her a direct look. “I hear things.”
 
She scowled. “There was nothing between Zuko and me. He hasn't even contacted any of us except Sokka for the past three years!”
 
The Water Tribe chieftain didn't say anything further on the matter, but it continued to pester Katara's brain as Appa descended in his flight to land in the Southern Air Temple.
 
Stupid Zuko...
 
.o(O)o.
 
Aang practically bounced with excitement as Appa wearily lowered himself to the ground so that it would be easier for his passengers to dismount. He snapped his modified glider shut and rushed over to the bison's side to gaze up at his intended.
 
Katara smiled as Aang offered her his hand to help her out of the saddle. Her dark hair rippled down her back like a chocolate waterfall as she landed on the stony ground. As she straightened and looked up at him, the yellow cloth that had been flung over one shoulder slipped off. The young Avatar blushed slightly as she fixed her clothing.
 
“It looks great on you, Katara,” he chirped, his grey eyes sparkling.
 
She glanced down at the Air Nomad clothing he had somehow procured for her and had insisted she wear today. Personally, she didn't like the style, but she wore it for him. “Thank you. I appreciate you buying it for me.”
 
“He's right, Sugar Queen. You look fabulous.”
 
Katara's attention snapped to the nearby doorway where a vaguely familiar face stood grinning like a madman. Er, madwoman. “Toph?”
 
“In the flesh.”
 
Katara ran across the crumbling courtyard and flung her arms around the younger woman, leaving Aang to help her father down from Appa's back. “Toph! By the oceans! Where have you been?”
 
The Earthbender shrugged but kept right on grinning as she allowed herself to be hugged. “Here. There. And especially over there. But now I'm here.” Finally she hugged Katara back. “You haven't changed at all.”
 
Katara mock-scowled. “Oh, don't give me that. At least I grew taller.”
 
“Oooo. That hurt.” Sokka sauntered up to his sister and Toph and gave them his usual smirk. “Coming from a shrimp-fish like you, that's really weak.”
 
Sparks shot from Katara's eyes. Sure, she wasn't as tall as Sokka or Aang, who both had passed Hakoda in terms of height, but she was hardly short. “Being shorter has its advantages,” she retorted pertly. “At least my feet don't stick out from the bottom of my furs when I sleep!”
 
“And I doubt your feet stink up the lodge like Sokka's either,” Suki added with a smile as she appeared behind her husband. One hand rested comfortably on the gentle slope of her belly, which was covered with a lovely green and gold tunic-dress.
 
Katara stared at her sister-in-law with a confused expression. “Um, Suki? Did you… talk to Sokka yet?”
 
“Yeah, you missed all the fun, Sweetness,” Toph answered for the Kyoshi warrior. “Snoozles nearly went into conniptions. It was great.”
 
Sokka eyed his sister. “What- you knew? And you didn't think you should tell me?”
 
“I felt that if anyone should tell you, it should be your wife, dummy,” Katara replied, crossing her arms over her chest. “I'm just glad she did it before she gave birth.”
 
The group of friends laughed, both over the joke and due to the fact it felt so good to be reunited with everyone after having been apart for so long.
 
Aang strode up to the gathering and blinked, confused but smiling. “What did I miss?”
 
“Typical Water Tribe sibling hissy-fit,” Toph clarified.
 
The Avatar chuckled, then peered around as if looking for someone. “Hey, Toph. Where's Zuko?”
 
Katara's heart skipped a beat. Toph scowled. “Mister High-and-Mighty Fire Lord couldn't make it. His girlfriend vanished and he thinks Crazy had something to do with it.”
 
Everyone gasped. “Mai is missing?” Suki exclaimed.
 
“And Azula's back?” Sokka added.
 
The blind Earthbender held up her hands to stop their alarm. “There's no proof that Crazy is on the move,” she explained, “but there was a note in Needles' room that Sparky thinks was from his sister. He's just dealing with the servants that got hurt during the attack.”
 
“Attack?!”
 
Katara sighed. “Toph, you have to learn to tell a story properly.”
 
Toph huffed. “I thought I did tell you. During an attack on the palace, a lot of servants got hurt, and somewhere in all the chaos Needles disappeared. One of the guards found a note under her bed that Sparky thinks is from his sister.”
 
“Why does he think that?” Aang asked.
 
“Yeah,” Sokka piped up. “Did you get a look at the note?”
 
“Oh, yes,” Toph replied, her tone dripping with fake sincerity. “It was written so neatly too.”
 
Suki slapped her husband on the arm. “Idiot.”
 
“What did the note say?” Aang urged, his grey eyes locked on his Earthbending teacher.
 
“'You should have feared me more.'
 
The group fell silent at these words, each mulling over the possible meaning.
 
“But Sparky said not to worry about it,” Toph finally said, waving her hand negligently. “He's going to help take care the servants that were hurt and then see if one of them can identify who led the attack.” She turned her head towards Aang and Katara. “But he sent his congrats and all that.”
 
Katara blinked. “Sokka and Suki are over there, Toph.”
 
The younger woman smiled cheekily. “I know.” She lifted her blind eyes to Aang. “You haven't asked her yet? You're getting slow in your old age, Twinkletoes.”
 
“Toph!” Aang blushed furiously. “You're ruining my surprise!” Then he leaned down and stared at her, nose to nose. “And you're older than I am.”
 
“Barely!”
 
“Six months, at least. You're sixteen already and I won't be sixteen until the autumn equinox.”
 
“That doesn't mean anything!”
 
“She's right, Aang,” Sokka observed. “You do look old, what with your shiny bald head and the fact you're as tall as a platypus-bear. If you decided to grow a goatee you'd look just like Gran-Pakku.”
 
“Hold up,” Katara demanded. She turned to Aang. “Ask me what?”
 
“Here it comes,” Toph grinned.
 
Aang rubbed the back of his neck. “I wanted to wait until later.”
 
“Well, too bad. What's going on?” She looked at her friends and brother. “Aren't we here to celebrate my upcoming niece or nephew?”
 
Hakoda walked up, followed by Kana and Pakku himself. “Not exactly,” he said, a mysterious smile on his lips.
 
“We're here for you, Katara,” Pakku added. “This celebration is for you. And for the Avatar.”
 
Katara was completely lost. “Huh?”
 
Aang blushed again. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece of cloth. “Th-this is… for you,” he stammered.
 
“How romantic,” Toph snorted.
 
Katara took the proffered cloth and gazed at it for a moment, a lump of unease settling rather roughly in her stomach. Slowly, almost hesitantly, she unfolded the material until the gift within was exposed. She stared in mute shock, first at the necklace, then at Aang.
 
“K-Katara, w-w-would you… uh, will you… m-marry me?”
 
Hakoda and Pakku both cleared their throats. Aang winced. “I… I mean… I would be honored to… to, uh… have you as my wife.”
 
The Water Tribesmen nodded in approval. Kana scowled. “She should at least have some say in the matter,” the elder woman grumped under her breath.
 
“That's not how things are done,” Pakku reminded her quietly. “A man doesn't ask for permission from anyone except the young lady's father. And Aang already went through the proper proposal with Hakoda.”
 
Kana shot her husband a disgusted look. “You should know better, Pakku.”
 
The Waterbending Master actually appeared to be fidgeting. “We… we'll talk about this later.”
 
Meanwhile, Katara could only stare at the orangeish-yellow- or was it yellowish-orange?- betrothal necklace with its carved wooden pendant. She gazed mutely at the Air Nomad symbol Aang had painstakingly engraved into the ornament.
 
A great gust of wind suddenly swept over the group, causing everyone to try and block the blast of air, which blew the necklace and its cloth wrapping out of Katara's hand. She tried to grab it as it flew away, but she missed. Turning, she looked at the source of the gust to see…
 
Nothing.
 
She blinked. What could've caused such a huge gust of wind? It wasn't Aang…
 
A dark figure dropped down seemingly from the sky in the middle of their group, surprising everyone and triggering a defensive stance from every warrior- except Toph.
 
“Glad you could make it, Sparky.”
 
Zuko straightened up from where he had landed in a crouch and proceeded to brush off his dark red tunic and black pants with impeccable calm. “Wouldn't miss it,” he deadpanned.