Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Smile Because It Happened ❯ Chapter 4

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 4
 
A dark figure dropped down seemingly from the sky in the middle of their group, surprising everyone and triggering a defensive stance from every warrior- except Toph.
 
“Glad you could make it, Sparky.”
 
Zuko straightened up from where he had landed in a crouch and proceeded to brush off his dark red tunic and black pants with impeccable calm. “Wouldn't miss it,” he deadpanned.
 
Sokka lifted a hand up to his brow to peer curiously at the sky. “How did you do that? Are you part Airbender or something?”
 
The young Fire Lord thought of his maternal grandfather, Avatar Roku, but decided against saying anything about it. “I had one of our new balloons drop me off. Figured it would've been a hell of a climb, considering I don't have a flying bison to ferry me around like some people.”
 
Appa bellowed cheerfully.
 
“Good to see you too, you big pile of fur.”
 
Aang's grin couldn't get any bigger. “It's been a long time, Sifu Hotman.”
 
Please don't call me that.”
 
Toph snickered. “Is `Zuzu' more to your liking, Mr. Fire Lord?”
 
Zuko turned and started walking toward the edge of the ancient crumbling temple. “I'm outta here.”
 
Katara, who had been stunned into silence at Zuko's abrupt appearance, took a step forward, her hand slightly outstretched as if she wanted to grab hold of his arm to prevent him from leaving. “Zuko…”
 
He stopped. Slowly turned around. Gazed at the Waterbender who had drifted in and out of his traitorous thoughts for the past four years. His golden eyes absorbed the changes that had matured her since they had last seen each other.
 
Taller than Toph (although that wasn't saying much), with slender, graceful arms and long legs, from what he could see even though she was practically overwhelmed by the voluminous brown pants and dark orange skirt she wore. The yellow cloth she had wrapped around her midsection and flung over one shoulder made her already tanned skin seem even darker. Her eyes, as blue as the oceans she commanded, were larger than he remembered, edged with thick black lashes that gave her a much more mature look. Wavy brown hair, normally tied back, hung loose down her back and brushed her hips as the breeze danced through it.
 
She looked… like a woman.
 
Zuko didn't know what to say. Three years he hadn't seen her, had only imagined her as he had last saw her- a girl on the brink of womanhood but with an inner strength and ability beyond her years, and he was completely speechless at the changes in her.
 
Aang had moved away, searching for the necklace that had blown away when Zuko's air balloon whooshed by. Sokka and Suki were gazing at him in slight confusion, wondering why he was acting so distant considering this was his first time seeing everyone in so long. Toph merely crossed her arms and smirked, privy to unsaid information only she could possibly know.
 
“Zuko?”
 
He blinked, as if that alone would clear his mind of thoughts he knew he shouldn't be having. He focused on Katara's face, searching for some trace of the young girl he had said goodbye to years ago.
 
Long before the last time he had seen her.
 
He knew just how to irritate her, too. He smirked. “Peasant.”
 
Katara crossed her arms and gave him a rather mischievous smile. “If that's the title you prefer, then I'm more than happy to oblige. Peasant Zuko.”
 
Sokka guffawed. Suki slapped her forehead with her palm. Toph shook her head in amazement at the sheer stupidity of some people.
 
Zuko slowly walked towards the Waterbender, his eyes never leaving hers. When he was just a couple feet from her, he stopped and leaned close to her ear. “No matter my title, I'm still above you,” he murmured, knowing he was inciting her wrath both with his manner and his words.
 
She turned her head slightly. “Fire Lord or peasant, you'll never be above me,” she replied in the same soft tone. Her face flushed red as she realized how close he was to her face- and to her lips.
 
He chuckled and straightened. Brushing past the madly blushing Waterbender he turned his attention to Sokka and Suki. “Hadn't heard from you two in a while. You had me wondering if something had happened.”
 
Katara tried very hard to focus her breathing and to will the heat to leave her face. “Awwww… Were you worried about us?” she heard Sokka gush.
 
“We were… preoccupied,” Suki replied, patting her belly. “Sorry.”
 
Zuko eyed the pregnant woman. “So I see. Going to repopulate the South Pole all by yourself, Boomerang Boy?” he asked Sokka.
 
The younger man gave Zuko a familiar toothy grin as he put an arm around his wife. “One warrior at a time.”
 
“Katara!” Everyone turned to see Aang rushing back, an object in his hand. “I found it!”
 
The Waterbender stood in a sort of mute paralysis as Aang moved behind her to remove her mother's necklace and replace it with his own. As the young Avatar secured the orange-yellow band around her throat, Katara's gaze rose- and met Zuko's. His amber eyes seemed to burn, but his face remained passive. What is he thinking?
 
Finally Aang stepped back and turned his new fiancé toward him. “It looks beautiful on you, Katara,” he murmured, smiling.
 
Katara looked at everyone. Her father and grandfather were beaming. Gran-gran looked slightly upset. Sokka was clapping in approval, whereas Suki seemed a bit more… concerned. Toph merely scowled.
 
And Zuko…
 
Turning her head to her other side, the blue-eyed beauty sought the Fire Lord's gaze once more. For a moment, he merely stared at her, his expression completely blank.
 
Then he smiled, lifting her hand and bowing over it. “Congratulations to you both.” He looked at Aang. “When is the wedding?”
 
“The autumn equinox,” Aang announced, causing Katara to swivel sharply towards him. “Once I turn sixteen, we'll be able to get married.”
 
Sokka stroked his chin thoughtfully. “Technically speaking, aren't you, like a hundred and fifteen years old or something?”
 
The Avatar laughed. “Yeah, I suppose. But your father said I had to wait until I was physically sixteen.”
 
Katara put her hands on her hips and huffed. “Don't I get some say in this?”
 
Aang looked confused. “Katara, we've been together for four years. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. And your dad's already given his approval.”
 
“What about my approval?”
 
Hakoda cleared his throat. “Katara…” he warned.
 
Aang put his arms around Katara's shoulders and pulled her close. “You know I love you. I've always loved you. And now we can be together for the rest of our lives. Don't you want that? You said we'd always be together.”
 
She softened slightly. “I did say that… but…”
 
“Then there's nothing to worry about!”
 
Zuko cleared his throat. “Actually, we've got quite a bit to worry about.”
 
He obviously had everyone's attention. “What's wrong?” Suki asked.
 
“I assume Toph has informed you of why I was late?”
 
“Some random soldiers attacked some of your servants and you're missing a girlfriend,” Sokka supplied helpfully.
 
“Er… yeah. Something like that.” He crossed his arms over his chest. “And there was a note left in Mai's room that I believe to be from Azula.”
 
“But there's no proof that it was her,” Suki protested.
 
“I know my sister,” Zuko muttered, “and I can completely see her tracking down and taking revenge on those that betrayed her. Mai helped us escape the Boiling Rock, remember?”
 
Sokka and Suki nodded slowly. “And then your crazy sister threw her and Ty Lee in prison for treason.”
 
“Exactly.” Zuko ran a hand through his hair, which was currently bereft of topknot and crown. “If she is out to find who betrayed her and has already gotten to Mai…”
 
Suki's hands flew up to cover her gasp of dawning horror. “She's going to go after Ty Lee next.”
 
“Who is on Kyoshi Island with the Kyoshi Warriors,” Sokka finished, scowling.
 
“I'm sorry to have ruined your celebration with such troubling news,” Zuko apologized to Aang and Hakoda, “but if Azula's power has grown to the point where she's capable of abducting someone as deadly as Mai, there's no telling how soon she will strike against the Fire Nation and try to kill us all.”
 
Hakoda nodded. “No, you were right in telling us.” He turned to Pakku and Kana. “We should hurry back to the village and get a message to the Northern Water Tribe. Get them to ready their defenses.”
 
As the elders left, Aang turned to the Fire Lord. “What do you want us to do?”
 
“Do?” Zuko blinked, startled. “I want you to stay with your families, stay safe. I'll hunt down Azula on my own.”
 
“We're not doing that,” Katara announced. “We're coming with you to help you.”
 
Toph punched one fist into her palm. “Yeah! I'm up for some Crazy-bashing too!”
 
Suki put her hands on Sokka's arm. “You need to go too.”
 
“Absolutely not! You need me with you!”
 
“They need your brain, Sokka. I will be fine- Gran-gran will take care of me, and we've got plenty of Waterbenders to defend the village should anything happen. Zuko needs you.” She looked saddened. “The Kyoshi Warriors need you.”
 
He sighed and pulled his wife into his arms. “How can I say no to you?”
 
“You can't. So stop trying.”
 
“All right, everyone!” Aang hollered. “Let's head back to the South Pole to drop off Suki and grab supplies before we set off for the Fire Nation.”
 
Zuko watched for a moment as the Avatar helped his new fiancé into Appa's saddle. “I think I'll just take my balloon,” he mused.
 
“I'm going with Zuko,” Toph decided. “At least I can see when I'm on that metal contraption.”
 
Aang waved. “We'll meet back up with you at the Southern Water Tribe's village!”
 
.o(O)o.
 
“All right, Sparky. Spill.”
 
Zuko lifted his only eyebrow at her skeptically. “Excuse me?”
 
“When Crazy first went AWOL, you didn't want our help. What changed your mind?”
 
He shrugged. “Maybe I'm more mature now and realize I need others to assist me.”
 
Toph snorted and actually spit over the side of the balloon's metal basket. “Bullshit. You forget- I can tell when you're lying.”
 
“That's not very lady-like, Toph.”
 
“I don't care! We're talking about you here, not me.”
 
“What about me?”
 
“You're in love with Katara!”
 
Zuko choked, spluttered, and coughed. “I beg your pardon?!”
 
Toph smirked as if she had an ace up her sleeve. “I could feel your heartbeat, you know. You got upset when Aang put that stupid necklace around Sugar Queen's neck.”
 
He leaned against the heat-resistant boiler which heated the air inside the huge balloon. “I think you're talking about you.
 
“I don't love Katara, stupid.”
 
Zuko chortled. “No, but you love Aang.”
 
Toph turned away quickly to hide her blush but he saw it anyway. “Why should I care who he marries? I'm just his Earthbending teacher.”
 
“And Katara is just his Waterbending teacher,” he retorted. “You are both his very close friends. It's just that he met her first and his childish heart hasn't been able to see beyond that.”
 
The laugh that escaped her was dry and without humor. “A fat lot of good that does either one of us.” She turned her face to the wind, her long bangs brushed out of her face by the steady breeze. Zuko could finally see the wistfulness in her expression and he felt it- and understood.
 
“It's just not meant to be, Sparky,” she sighed. “You and Katara, me and Aang… It's just not in our destinies.”