Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Smile Because It Happened ❯ Chapter 5

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 5
 
“Katara, I don't WANT to wear a dress…”
 
The fifteen-year-old Waterbender made a face she knew her friend couldn't see but didn't care anyway. “It's your birthday, Toph, and you're going to look nice whether you like it or not.”
 
“That would be a `not'.”
 
Katara sighed. “Well, I think you look great. That shade of green really brings out your eyes.”
 
Toph blinked. “Why would I want to do that? My eyes are useless anyway.”
 
“So?” Katara thought for a moment. “Just think of them as accessories- for you, they aren't really necessary but they complete you as a whole.” She grinned. “The rest of us peons are required to have them, but you? You defy conformity and have them simply to make yourself more beautiful.”
 
The Earthbender's grey eyes widened slightly. She hadn't thought about her appearance much- well, ever- but her friend's words made her wonder… Was she really missing anything by being blind? She could see well enough with her Earthbending- that was always good enough for her.
 
The Blind Bandit didn't need to be pretty. What good would it do her in the long run anyway?
 
Still, she could feel how Sokka's heart would beat harder when he held Suki close, or how Suki's pulse would increase when the warrior would kiss her just so. Suki had once said she could see her whole future in Sokka's eyes.
 
So what would future could Toph see?
 
Nothing. That's right. Nothing.
 
Lifting the skirt of her floor-length emerald-green dress with its gold trim and silk embroidery, she walked up the steps to the Jasmine Dragon, Iroh's pride and joy tea shop. Katara held open the door and…
 
“Happy Birthday, Toph!!” cheered a chorus of voices. With her bare feet she could “see” her friends, at least where they stood, if not detailed images.
 
Zuko stood to the far left, his feet braced far apart as if he were aboard one of his ships rather than inside a tea shop, and his girlfriend sat in a chair nearby, her steady pulse indicating that she seemed somewhat bored with the celebration so far. Next to Mai bounced Ty Lee, who had changed out of her Kyoshi Warrior armor for the occasion. Suki had placed herself directly in between the former circus performer and Sokka, whether by purpose or by coincident- Toph suspected on purpose- and Aang stood in front of the newly engaged couple.
 
Iroh sauntered in, a large cake on a tray in his hands. “Come, come,” he shooed those in his way. “Let the birthday girl in. This is a very special occasion, after all.”
 
Toph waved her hand in the air. “It's not that important, Pops. I've had birthdays before.”
 
“Ah, but you were never a teenager before,” Iroh pointed out. “Now a whole new world opens up for you as you trek along life's road.”
 
“Cut the euphemisms and focus on the cake, Uncle,” Zuko grunted good-naturedly.
 
“As my Fire Lord commands.”
 
Placing a baker's dozen of candles in the cake, Iroh gestured to Zuko. The Firebender blinked. “What?”
 
“What greater honor for our young friend on her special day than to have the Fire Lord himself light the candles on her cake?”
 
Rolling his eyes, Zuko heaved a sigh- and shot out a puff of fire that lit the candles perfectly. Iroh beamed.
 
Toph stared at the cake as her friends all began to sing. She'd never had a party before. Even when she had been at home with her parents, they merely brought in a small treat and ate at the huge dining room table- as usual. A few presents, consisting mostly of girly things like dresses and dolls, were given afterwards, and then her parents would disappear, going back to doing whatever it was that kept them busy all day long. Every day.
 
Even on her birthday.
 
The song ended. Aang nudged her. “Blow out the candles, Sifu Toph,” he grinned.
 
“And don't forget to make a wish,” Ty Lee chirped.
 
A wish? What in the world would I wish for? What could I possibly want that would be granted for me?
 
Toph took a deep breath and exhaled in the direction of the cake. The tiny flames on the cake vanished, leaving only thin trails of smoke in their wake.
 
Applause and cheers echoed in her ears as Iroh cut the cake and started serving up pieces to everyone. Conversation and laughter continued long after the cake and tea had been consumed, and eventually people started to take their leave.
 
“Happy Birthday, Toph,” Zuko said, giving the Earthbender a friendly hug.
 
“Thanks for coming, Sparky.”
 
Mai and Ty Lee bid their farewells and soon Sokka and Suki were fighting yawns. Toph waved them both off. “Go home before you two pass out, Snoozles.”
 
“Yes, ma'am,” Sokka saluted. He said goodbye to his sister, who was washing the dishes while Iroh dozed in a chair in the corner of the room, and escorted his young fiancé out into the Earth Kingdom night.
 
Toph followed them out as far as the stairway, then drifted along the deck surrounding the tea shop, her hand drifting along the railing and her mind filled with confusing thoughts.
 
“Hey, Toph.”
 
Her head lifted. “What are you doing out here, Twinkletoes? You should be helping your girlfriend.”
 
Aang chuckled. “Who better than a Waterbending Master to wash the dishes faster than anyone else?”
 
Toph snorted. “That'd be like me as a farmer.”
 
“Exactly.
 
A moment of silence passed. Then Aang spoke. “You look really nice tonight, Toph.”
 
“Yeah, right.”
 
He turned her towards him, even though he knew she couldn't see him. “I mean it. You can tell if I'm lying, right?”
 
She frowned. “Yeah…”
 
“Trust me. You look amazing.”
 
Toph actually blushed. “Stop it.”
 
Aang giggled. “All right, all right. But I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday before we left. And to give you your present.”
 
A suspicious look washed over Toph's face. “It better not be a pair of shoes.”
 
This time he laughed out loud. “No, I know better.” He held out a small item and put it in her hands. “Here. Happy Birthday.”
 
Toph's Earthbending senses went on alert. It was a necklace, a long, thin metal chain. And hanging from the chain was a chunk of highly condensed rock. She rubbed her fingers over it.
 
“I've never felt a rock like this,” Toph said, confused. “What is it?”
 
“I got it from Bumi,” Aang replied, taking the necklace out of her hands and securing it around her neck. “He said it's a diamond, but one that hasn't been polished or cut or anything. I saw it and thought about you.”
 
Toph lifted her sightless gaze to his. “Why?”
 
“The color of the stone matches your eyes,” he said, smiling as he examined his gift. “And it reminds me of you- kinda rough around the edges, but a priceless gem underneath all that dirt.”
 
He leaned close and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. “You're my best friend, Toph. I wanted to get you something you like, so I of course got you a rock.”
 
“Aang? Aang!”
 
The Avatar perked up. “I'm coming, Katara!” He turned back to his Earthbending teacher. “I hope you like it. Happy Birthday, Toph.”
 
Long after Aang had left with his girlfriend, Toph stood outside in the cool night air, the chunk of condensed mineral in her hands. Tears had slipped down her cheeks, slightly smudging the light makeup Katara had so carefully applied. The wish she had made on the birthday cake a few hours prior drifted back into her mind.
 
I wish… that I could find love like my friends have.
 
The next day, Toph mailed goodbye letters to all of her friends and disappeared on her quest to “coat herself in a healthy layer of her element from every corner of the world.”
 
In truth, she was running away.
 
.o(O)o.
 
Sokka looked up from the list of provisions he and his sister had created and leveled a look at the young Airbender. “I think it would be best if we rested here for the night and got a fresh start in the morning,” he said.
 
Aang nodded slowly. “It'll give us more time to pack supplies and figure out where we're going.”
 
“We're heading to Ba Sing Se,” Zuko announced from where he sat, a pair of small fireballs dancing and spinning in perfect harmony above his hand. He toyed with the flames almost unconsciously. “I'm sure Uncle will know something.”
 
“He usually does,” Toph agreed.
 
“What about the Kyoshi Warriors?” Katara asked, looking up from the bag she was packing. “Shouldn't we head there first? Try to head off Azula?”
 
“Chances are she's already been there,” Zuko replied logically. “She would've predicted we'd figure out what she's doing and try to stop her. So it's likely she's abducted Ty Lee the same way she took Mai.”
 
Sokka snorted. “That's if Mai was really kidnapped.”
 
Zuko lifted his eyebrow skeptically. “Are you saying Azula killed her? There was no blood anywhere in the room, and even if she had used lightning, there would've been some trace of burn marks or scorched hair. Mai's room was undisturbed.”
 
“Exactly.” Sokka pointed his pen at him. “Which means she left without a struggle. So either she was knocked unconscious- or she left willingly.” He crossed his arms and frowned. “And I don't know about the rest of you, but I think knocking that girl out would probably be damn near impossible. She's got keener instincts than a fox-cat.”
 
“I hate to say it, Zuko, but Sokka's got a valid point,” Katara admitted. “Mai was best friends with Azula for years and only betrayed her when your life was at stake. What if Azula somehow convinced her that she was forgiven for turning against her?”
 
“Mai's a lot of things, but gullible isn't one of them.” Zuko asked. “And she isn't a traitor, Katara.”
 
Katara scowled. “We're not saying she is,” she retorted hotly, “but we can't rule it out either.”
 
“Yeah, the Fire Nation isn't known for producing honest people,” Toph chimed in. She could feel him turn his head toward her and she was willing to bet he was glaring. “What? It's true…”
 
Zuko sighed and hung his head, the two fireballs vanishing from where they had been hovering above his hand. “All right, I get it.” He looked at Katara. “But there's still no point to look for Azula on Kyoshi Island.”
 
“I'm not so sure,” Sokka mused. “If she's been there already, we can talk to the Warriors and see if they can give us any clues to where she might be heading. If she hasn't, then we can warn Ty Lee and the others that she will probably be coming.”
 
Zuko mulled that over and nodded. “Good thinking. I vote we leave after breakfast tomorrow.”
 
Toph raised her hand. “Second!”
 
Sokka heaved a sigh in agreement. “Great.” His stomach rumbled. “Now let's find some dinner!”
 
Aang stood and followed the older man outside the lodge. “If you try feeding me sea prunes again, I'll be sick for a week.”
 
“Ocean kumquats!”
 
“Whatever they are, they're nasty!”
 
As the fur door cover flapped back into place, a thick silence fell over the trio that remained, save for the soft crackling and popping of the fire in the pit. Toph stretched and grunted. “I'm going to find me another blanket before my feet freeze off.”
 
The door flopped closed a second time, leaving Zuko alone with the one person he desperately didn't want to be alone with.
 
Silence loomed.
 
Zuko cleared his throat. “You… uh, you look…” Fabulous. Gorgeous. Breathtaking. Like four years of dreaming come true. “…good.” Idiot.
 
Katara lifted her blue eyes and stared at him curiously. “…Thanks,” she replied slowly. She tilted her head and regarded him as if he were on display. “You haven't changed much.”
 
Ouch. “Is that a bad thing?”
 
She shrugged. “I thought you would've grown your hair out a lot longer.”
 
Zuko blinked. “Why?”
 
“Most of the Fire Nation men I've seen had long hair so they can tie it back in that goofy topknot.”
 
“You think topknots are goofy?”
 
Katara let out a small laugh. “Well… yeah. Everyone has one, even the girls.”
 
“At least they don't wear beaded hair loopies.”
 
She mock-scowled at him. “Hey! I was just a kid!”
 
Zuko smiled faintly. “You still have the beads, just not the loops.”
 
One tanned hand lifted up to touch the beaded strands of hair she had in front of her ear. “Well, I did grow up, you know.”
 
Golden eyes blazed in the firelight. “Yeah. I know.”
 
Katara looked up and blinked at the brightness in his gaze. She looked down at the fur rug they sat on, unable to speak.
 
“Those colors look weird on you.”
 
Her head snapped up and she gaped at him. “Excuse me?”
 
Zuko flushed and turned away. “I-I just meant that I liked you better in your other clothes. I mean, that you looked nice in them.”
 
She scowled. “You mean those skimpy Fire Nation clothes? Figures you'd like stuff like that.”
 
He faced her again, his face betraying his sincerity. “No! I meant your blue ones! You've always looked pretty in blue.” His face turned even redder, causing the scar covering his eye to nearly blend in. “I mean… I… I…” He scrambled to his feet and gave her a formal Fire Nation bow- but the one between equals. Without looking at her he spun on his heel and fled the lodge.
 
Leaving a very confused Waterbender in the smoke of his hasty departure.