Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Smile Because It Happened ❯ Chapter 15

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 15
 
Zuko eased his mother onto the well-worn jade green coverlet on the bed. His gaze was hard as flint as he stared at her even though his face remained passive.
 
Tam wiped his forehead with a clean kerchief. “Thank you so much, sir. Really, I'm so sorry to put you out like this…”
 
“Think nothing of it,” Zuko replied, maintaining his detached “Fire Lord” manner. “I had a mother very much like her once.”
 
Ursa winced.
 
The sound of something slamming onto a table caught the shop owner's attention. “I hope Ling isn't causing more problems,” he said, his tone worried.
 
“Go check on him,” Zuko offered. “I would like to speak to your… wife. If I may.”
 
Tam turned to the young man and did a bit of mental assessment. Before he could reply, a knock at the door preempted the appearance of Katara. “I hope I am not intruding,” she apologized.
 
“Is there something wrong?” Tam asked.
 
“No, not at all,” she replied, “but I am a healer- and I was concerned about your wife.”
 
He sighed. “I've had the best doctors in the Earth Kingdom come to examine her, but none of them can tell me what's wrong. She has these horrible headaches, you see- and they leave her body drained and weak. The slightest upset and she's bedridden for a week. Sometimes more.”
 
Katara moved over to Ursa's other side, meeting Zuko's intense gaze for a moment before turning to the ailing woman. “Well, if you'd permit me… I'd like to see if there's anything I can do to ease your pain.”
 
Ursa smiled weakly. “The pain I feel is nothing compared to the anguish I have caused others. I deserve this.”
 
Tam looked upset. Zuko scowled. Katara merely gave the woman a gentle smile. “While once I would've agreed with that theory, I don't believe you've done anything bad enough to warrant suffering such as this. By accepting this, you're causing pain to your husband- and your son.”
 
Ursa closed her eyes. “…Then you have my permission, young healer.”
 
Tam appeared greatly relieved. “I will prepare rooms for you and your friends,” he said, heading for the door. “You are more than welcome to stay here tonight.”
 
Zuko nodded stiffly. “We'd appreciate it.”
 
When the door closed, Zuko slowly turned around and gave his mother a disinterested stare. “Well. Here we are.”
 
“Zuko, be nice,” Katara scolded, pouring water from a pitcher into a basin for easy access. “You haven't seen her in what- ten years? You should be happy.”
 
Ursa sighed, her heart obviously aching. “He has every right to be angry,” she whispered. “I abandoned him to that… that… monster.”
 
“Enough,” Katara soothed. “Just close your eyes and try to relax. I'm going to see what I can do for you.”
 
“There is nothing you can do,” she protested. “This is something I have lived with for ten years. You cannot heal it.”
 
Bending a double handful of water with practiced ease, Katara ignored the woman's objections and moved into her healing mode. Slowly, carefully, she placed her water-gloved hands on Ursa's temples and closed her eyes, focusing her Waterbending abilities on the blood and tissue unseen.
 
Zuko watched the mocha-skinned woman as she unconsciously shifted expressions as she worked. “You've been injured,” she murmured. “It's old and healed, but it seems like the blood flow through that area has slowed because of that injury.” She opened her eyes. “That's probably what's been causing your headaches.”
 
Ursa frowned. “I am not surprised. Even after all these years that horrible man has left his mark on me.”
 
Zuko stepped closer. “Ozai did this to you, didn't he? He hurt you so badly that it did permanent damage?”
 
Ursa's soft brown eyes lifted to her son's. “It was my punishment. For going against his orders,” she murmured.
 
His hand lifted on its own to touch the rough skin next to his eye. “I understand… all too well,” was all he said.
 
“I am… so sorry, Zuko.”
 
He shrugged. “A little late for that, isn't it? You've got your other son to love and care for now. And he isn't horribly disfigured.”
 
“Zuko!” Katara admonished, bending the water back into the basin. “You are not horribly disfigured. That scar has made you a better person. Imagine what a horrible, selfish, spoiled prince you'd have been if you hadn't had the sense to speak up against that tyrant back then. “
 
“You spoke up against him?” Ursa looked surprised.
 
“…Yeah. In the War Room. He wanted to send new recruits to the front line of a battle with the Earth Kingdom as bait while a more experienced squad attacked from the rear. I protested.” He sighed and touched his scar again. “I was challenged to an Agni Kai, but it wasn't against the general I had spoken out against.”
 
“It was your father,” Ursa realized.
 
He nodded once. “…I wouldn't fight him, so he burned my face and banished me, telling me that I could only restore my honor and come home after I had brought back the Avatar.”
 
Katara growled, bending water back out of the basin as she prepared her water-gloves again. “You never lost your honor, Zuko,” she said sternly. “Although you took long enough to realize that.”
 
Zuko smiled softly. “You sound like Uncle.”
 
“I'll take that as a compliment.”
 
Ursa looked upset. “How old were you?” she whispered.
 
Zuko's expression remained carefully neutral. “Thirteen.”
 
“Stupid Ozai,” Katara snorted. “The man should've been castrated for doing that to his own child.”
 
“That's a nice mental picture, Katara.”
 
“In fact, it would've been better if it had happened before your lunatic of a sister had been born.”
 
“I'm delighted you think so highly of me. You would've waited until after I was born. I'm touched.”
 
“Oh, cork it, Sparky.”
 
Ursa chuckled weakly. “You two get along so well,” she murmured. “How long have you been a couple?”
 
Zuko choked and Katara lost her control over the water, letting it fall to splash on the floor. “We are not a couple!” Zuko tried to say, coughing.
 
“I-I'm engaged,” Katara said, bending the water off the floor and out the window. Immersing herself in getting fresh water, she wouldn't look at the former Fire Lady. “I'm marrying the Avatar… on the Autumn Equinox.” Her gaze met Zuko's- and she nearly winced at the pain she saw in those amber depths.
 
“Excuse me,” the Waterbender muttered, giving Ursa the formal Fire Nation bow. “I… I… need to get some towels.”
 
After Katara had fled the room, Ursa sighed; her expression could only be described as regretful. “Forgive me. I merely thought… you two seem to get along so well…” She smiled sadly. “Even though your elements are opposites.” Her voice dropped to a mere breath. “Maybe… maybe it is because.”
 
Zuko cleared his throat. “The Council would never permit a Waterbender as the Fire Lady, Mother,” he reminded her.
 
“Oh, pooh. If you still have those ancient fools as your Council, of course not. Those pig-monkeys were from your grandfather's time. Of course they would not approve. But if you had appointed your own Council, one from your generation, with more open minds, I am certain there would be little resistance. Even from the people.” She lifted one arm weakly and waved it around before lowering it back down. “In fact, I would not be surprised if she were welcomed, given that she would bind the Fire Nation and the Water Tribes in a permanent alliance.”
 
“Stop playing the political matchmaker.” The young Fire Lord looked away. “She's marrying one of my best friends,” he said quietly. “Not to mention the savior of the world. I don't think I could just go up to him and tell him that I love his fiancée and want her for my own.”
 
Ursa beamed. “See? I knew there was more spark between you two than you let on.”
 
“Mother… please. Just drop it. She… she's going to marry Aang and that's that. I can't jeopardize our friendship just because of how I feel.” He glanced at her. “And how is it that you are here, with a new husband and a son? Why didn't you come home?”
 
She grew solemn. “When your father… when Ozai cast me out… he effectively terminated our marriage. I fled here, scared, injured, and alone.” Her hand drifted to her temple and she rubbed it, trying to lessen the headache. “I sent a letter to your uncle, pleading with him to help me.”
 
Zuko's eyes flew wide. “Uncle knew you were here?”
 
“I forbade him from telling you anything about where I was,” she told him sternly. “If Ozai found out where I was, that I was still alive… I was afraid of what he might do to you.”
 
“To me?”
 
“Yes, Zuko. Your grandfather ordered your death… but I took your place. To the people of the Fire Nation, Fire Lady Ursa is dead.”
 
He gaped at her, stunned. “But… you're still alive. Ozai didn't kill you.”
 
She gave a dainty, lady-like snort. “Not for lack of trying. He… nearly beat me to death. It was only because the news arrived that your grandfather finally succumbed to the poison Li and Lo had slipped into his wine that Ozai stopped- and left me for dead.”
 
For a few minutes, he was silent. “How did you manage to get away?”
 
“My ladies' maids. They took my body and carried it to my chambers, where they had summoned my personal physician. He tended my wounds as well as he could, but knew Ozai's temper… and he didn't dare risk him finding out that I still lived.” She sighed. “So he managed to procure passage for me to Omashu… and wrote up a death certificate to give to Ozai.”
 
“So you became Sura and married an Earth Kingdom man and started a new family.”
 
“Yes and no. I told you that I was alone and injured. When I wrote your uncle, he had still been wandering around aimlessly in grief because of Lu Ten's death. My plea brought him out of his sorrow and gave him a purpose. He introduced me to Tam, who ran this tea shop by himself, and he gave me a room in exchange for work.” She chuckled softly. “I paid Iroh to keep quiet about where I was.”
 
Zuko groaned. “Don't tell me.”
 
“Yes. In teas.”
 
“That explains how he always had those new and rare teas even though we were broke and homeless.”
 
She blinked. “Homeless?”
 
“I'll explain later. Please- continue.”
 
Her brown eyes grew distant. “Well, even though I had ongoing problems because of what Ozai did to me, Tam was always there to help. He paid my doctor bills and nursed me through endless complications. He really is a kind, gentle man.” She scowled briefly. “Truly the opposite of your father.”
 
Zuko gazed at her, his face unreadable. “So… then you are… happy here?”
 
“Oh, yes. I am loved, cared for, and appreciated. I have friends here, and of course, my family.” Ursa met his eyes. “You are also my family, my son, but you don't need me anymore. You're a man now. Soon you will have a wife and children of your own.” She smiled wistfully. “Although I do wish I could see them on occasion.”
 
He grinned wryly. “As soon as I father some, I'll be sure to bring them to you.”
 
“Oh, I cannot ask you to do that… after abandoning you like I did…”
 
“I understand why you did, Mother,” Zuko interrupted. “And I'm more grateful than you could imagine. Yes, I've had a rough time since you've been gone, but as Katara said- it's made me a better person. And hopefully, a better Fire Lord.”
 
Ursa smiled brightly. “You are a great Fire Lord,” she declared. “And I think that with a fine woman by your side, you can easily become the best.”
 
“Not you too…”
 
She chuckled. “Now, if you would just confess your feelings to that lovely Waterbender…”
 
Oh no. We're not discussing this any further.” He frowned. “And what makes you think there's feelings there?”
 
“Oh, come on, Zuko. Your eyes practically catch fire every time you look at her. You can feel the electricity in the air.”
 
Flashbacks of Azula's lightning hitting him in the stomach as he jumped to save Katara's life flickered through his mind.
 
“You have no idea.”
 
.o(O)o.
 
Katara stood in the hallway outside Ursa and Tam's bedroom, clutching a couple towels to her chest, her cheeks flaming. How can she think we're a couple? Why does EVERYONE think we're a couple?
 
June's less-than-amused voice lingered in her mind, still fresh after four years. “I see you worked things out with your girlfriend.”
 
“He's not my boyfriend!” “She's not my girlfriend!”
 
The door opened and Zuko appeared in the doorway. “Katara,” he murmured, slightly surprised.
 
“How is she?”
 
“Resting.” He closed the door behind him. “I don't know what Ozai did to her, but it affected her for the past ten years.” He sighed. “Can you really heal her?”
 
Katara examined the towels in her arms as if they held the answers to the universe. “I believe I can. But I would need some Oasis water to do it completely.”
 
Zuko stared at her. “Oasis water?” A memory surfaced. “You mean that special water you were going to use… to heal my face?”
 
Flushing, she nodded. “If… If you wanted… I could… I could still… try.”
 
For several heartbeats, he debated. “You don't know how badly I want to say yes,” he finally whispered, “but at the same time, this scar has made me who I am today. Would I still be me without it?”
 
Katara finally looked up at him and moved closer. Her burned left arm came up and touched the unscarred side of his face. “Look at me, Zuko. For the past four years I've been living the life of an Air Nomad. I don't eat meat. I don't wear fur. I even learned some Airbending maneuvers. Am I still Katara?”
 
He very nearly purred at her touch. “You will always be Katara,” he told her, keeping his voice friendly instead- but not too friendly. “Even if you do look better in blue.”
 
“And you will always be Zuko. With, or without, scars.”
 
He leaned down and gave her brief- very brief- kiss on the temple. “Thank you… Peasant.”
 
Katara flushed. She was starting to think the word was a term of affection. She looked into his eyes- and her heart beat heavily against her ribcage. “You're welcome… Fire Lord,” she replied in the softest of whispers before she shifted to her tiptoes and kissed him gently on the lips.
 
.o(O)o.
 
Aang paused at the bottom of the steps. A strange feeling had gripped his chest as he thought about what had just occurred in his Earthbending teacher's room- and it wasn't as unpleasant as much as confusing.
 
Toph had kissed him and said she wanted to say goodbye before he married Katara. So what did that mean? Toph liked him? As in, more than a friend? He hadn't even thought Toph would ever like someone in that way.
 
But Toph… her bare form lingered in his mind's eye, all curves and pale skin, totally at odds with her rocky element. He recalled every damned detail- and he found himself wondering what it would be like to take one tip in his mouth and…
 
Cursing himself in about twenty different ways, he forced the temptation out of his mind. Why couldn't he imagine doing something like that with Katara? He had tried. But every time he kissed her, even just on the cheek, it felt… awkward.
 
Not like with Toph. When she had kissed him, it hadn't felt awkward at all.
 
In fact… it felt… really good.
 
Sighing quietly, he moved lightly up the stairs, his mind in turmoil. A movement at the top of the stairs, partway down the narrow hall, caused him to focus- and freeze in his tracks.
 
Zuko. Was kissing Katara.
 
No, wait.
 
Katara was kissing Zuko.
 
Why? Why was his fiancée kissing another man? And Zuko of all people?
 
A bevy of emotions swirled inside him like a hurricane- first and foremost being betrayal. One of his best friends and his future wife… together?
 
Zuko pulled away abruptly, before Aang could react and run up the remaining stairs to challenge the Fire Lord to an Agni Kai. “No, Katara. I won't. I won't do this to Aang.”
 
Katara's expression could only be described as pained. “I'm sorry, Zuko. I know… I know he asked my father if he could marry me and he accepted… but…”
 
“That's how things are done in your tribe,” Zuko said firmly. “You can't back out of an engagement arranged by your parents.”
 
Katara let out a muffled, frustrated growl. “Like hell! Gran-gran did! Why can't I?”
 
“Because you care too much about Aang to hurt him like that.”
 
She let out a breath she'd been holding. “…I know.” She frowned at him. “But I'm hurting me.”
 
Zuko's eyes were soft. “It's… hurting me too,” he confessed quietly. “If I had just thrown Mai out of my chambers that day… if I had just gone to you like I wanted to…” He reached out as if to touch her but pulled back before he actually did. “If I had asked you to marry me… before Aang did.”
 
Katara gasped. “What?”
 
Zuko turned away, looking at the ground as he rubbed the back of his neck. “I love you, Katara. I've loved you for a long, long time. Not as long as Aang has, but it's true. And even though it's breaking my heart to see you every day and know that you're marrying him… I will stay by your side and protect you with my life. Just as I've always done.”
 
*I will gladly give my life to save yours.*
 
Before Katara could reply, he pinned her with a stare. “But I will not dishonor my friendship with Aang. Or dishonor you by making you feel guilty about me. So just forget what happened here… and go back to your fiancé.”
 
Aang's heart was pounding, but the storm of emotions in his head was starting to subside- and he was amazed at Zuko's selflessness in this situation. The Fire Lord obviously loved Katara so much that he was willing to step aside in order to maintain his friendship with both of them.
 
And Zuko was always so worried about his honor. It appeared the Firebender was much more honorable than he was.
 
“Like I said, Twinkletoes,” Toph said, “you can't make people change. Sugar Queen is always going to be Sugar Queen- and no amount of traditions or commands are going to turn her into anything except herself.”
 
He almost slapped himself on the forehead.
 
How honorable have I been?
 
Noiselessly, he glided back down the stairs and into the main dining area. Ignoring both Sokka and young Ling, who appeared quite perplexed at the seemingly random, bizarre questions coming from the Water Tribe Warrior, Aang slipped outside and Airbended himself onto the roof of the tea shop.
 
And stared at the sky silently as the sun set and the moon had begun its ascent into the velvet heavens.