Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Smile Because It Happened ❯ Chapter 16

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 16
 
Aang didn't even look up as Toph bent a pillar of ground underneath her feet that allowed her to join him on the roof with ease. As the earth returned to its prior location, she sat down next to him.
 
“Don't see much point in staring at the sky like that,” she observed. “Is there something up there with the answers to all the problems in the world?”
 
“No,” he replied quietly, sighing. “But it does offer a nice view.”
 
“I'll take your word for it.”
 
Aang's cheeks flushed red as he realized what he had said could have two different meanings. For a while they sat in silence, the young Airbender afraid to speak.
 
“Why are you up here, Twinkletoes? Did my kiss disgust you that badly?”
 
He jumped in surprise and turned toward her, waving his hands frantically in negation. “N-no! It wasn't that! I…” He slumped over as if in defeat. “I think… I think I made a huge mistake.”
 
Toph's expression remained perfectly blank. “It's not your fault,” she said noncommittally. “I just wanted you to know how I felt before you married Sugar Queen. Seize the day and all that, you know?”
 
Aang looked at her, his mouth open as he went to explain himself- and he stopped as he processed her words. “How… you feel?” he repeated rather dumbly.
 
She took a deep breath and lifted her chin, almost as if she were gazing at the sky too. “Well, there's not much point in it now, but… I don't like you.”
 
He blinked. “Huh?”
 
Toph blushed but didn't lower her head. “Nope. I don't like you. Haven't for a long time.”
 
Aang frowned. Scratched his head. “Then… that kiss…?”
 
This time she turned her head toward him. Her eyes seemed to stare at him. “I don't like you anymore, Twinkletoes… because I started feeling something stronger than friendship towards you a long time ago.”
 
His pulse sped up. “…You…?”
 
“That's right. I've pretty much fallen for you.” She reached inside the neckline of her tunic and pulled out the diamond-chunk on its chain. “Ever since you gave this to me on my thirteenth birthday.”
 
For a moment, he didn't speak. “Then… why didn't you ever say anything?”
 
“Oh, puh-leeze. You were all about Sugar Queen.” She rolled her eyes as she tucked the stone back inside her shirt. “Besides, what would've been the point? We were both just kids.” She chuckled dryly. “We kinda still are.”
 
“I had no idea…”
 
She nodded firmly. “Of course. I didn't dare let on. The only one who knew was Sparky- and he was wise enough to keep silent on it.”
 
Aang's heart sunk at her reference to Zuko. “I think I made a mistake,” he repeated softly.
 
“You mentioned that- I told you, it wasn't your fault.”
 
“No, no,” he said, waving his hand negligently. “Not about the kiss. About Katara. And Zuko.”
 
Toph tried not to perk up. “What about them?”
 
“I saw them kissing.”
 
Mentally, Toph mulled over knocking the obviously idiotic Fire Lord unconscious or squeezing him in a huge atta-boy hug. “And Sparky's still alive?”
 
“He broke it almost as soon as it happened,” he explained, feeling oddly detached. “And told Katara… he wouldn't dishonor my friendship that way.” He frowned. “Katara… Katara said that being with me was hurting her.”
 
“You are kinda pushy.”
 
“I… I didn't realize. I just wanted to… bring back some of my heritage.”
 
“Forcing someone to be something they're not is never a good thing.”
 
“What else was I supposed to do? It's up to me to bring back the Air Nomad traditions.”
 
“And you can do that, but you shouldn't try to completely make over someone's personality and habits. Especially their traditions. The Water Tribe has their own customs that are just as important as yours. You can still educate other people about your beliefs without pushing them on them. And I know you can do it- regardless of who's by your side. Katara isn't the only fish in the sea.” She chuckled. “Literally.”
 
He sighed. “I've been with her for so long. She's the first girl I ever loved.”
 
“Let me point something obvious out to you, Twinkletoes.” Toph turned herself so that her body faced him. “Who was the first girl Snoozles loved? I mean, really loved?”
 
The Airbender looked at her curiously. “That's easy. Yue.”
 
“And what, pray tell, happened to his first love?”
 
His expression grew somber. “She gave up her life here on Earth and became the Moon Spirit.”
 
“Exactly. So where is he now? Is he still pining after her?”
 
He caught on to her meaning. “No. He's married to Suki now… and they're having a baby in a couple months.”
 
“Bingo!” Toph slapped him on the back- but without the usual strength she usually put into it. “First loves are great, but they sometimes don't last.”
 
“But they can last,” he protested. “I know they can. If I can just convince her…”
 
She put a hand over his mouth to stop him from saying something stupid. “You know, you're acting an awful lot like my parents.”
 
His eyes widened. “Meckufse mef?”
 
“They were always telling me what to do. Where to go. What to wear. How to act. Even what food I could eat.”
 
He winced.
 
“You told me that I was the best Earthbender in the world.”
 
“Mou marf.”
 
“I know. But I haven't once heard you tell Katara that she's the best Waterbender in the world.”
 
“Sof?”
 
“When you love someone- really love someone- you want to make them feel like they can take on the world at any time. Because their happiness brings you happiness. Haven't you ever noticed how Sparky always gives her little compliments? Like on her clothes, her hair, her bending?” She blew her bangs out of her face. “What have you been saying to Katara lately?”
 
Aang closed his eyes in defeat. He knew exactly what he'd been saying to her. He'd been every bit as controlling of his fiancée as Lord and Lady Bei Fong had been toward Toph.
 
Toph dropped her hand. “You saw Sparky kiss Katara, right?”
 
He shook his head. “Katara… kissed Zuko.”
 
Nice one, Sweetness. Ten points for you. “Then what?”
 
“He pulled away. Told her he didn't want to jeopardize our friendship just because he… loved… her…” he trailed off, fully realizing what had been said.
 
Toph's eyes widened slightly. You confessed? Twenty points to you, Sparky. “Did you hear Sugar Queen say anything?”
 
“She said… her Gran-gran had backed out of an arranged marriage… and she wanted to know why she couldn't too.”
 
Toph snorted. “She cares about you too much to do it.”
 
“That's what Zuko said.”
 
She leaned her head to the side, her pale eyes seeming to glow in the moonlight. “Amazing, isn't it, how we all seem to know Sugar Queen so well- except for you?”
 
“Toph! Aang! Get down here or Sokka's going to eat both your dinners!” Katara's voice called from down below.
 
The blind Earthbender shook her head with a smile. “Doesn't matter how old we get- she still treats us like kids.” Without another word, she stepped off the roof and landed gracefully next to Katara, who lifted an eyebrow in silent question.
 
“Your fiancé is having an Airbender moment,” she explained. “He'll be down as soon as he gets his head out of the clouds.”
 
Katara watched in slight confusion as her young friend went back into the tea house. Turning, she glanced up at the rooftop. “Aang?”
 
With a swirl of air, the Avatar glided lightly to the ground. His grey eyes seemed full of questions- not, necessarily, directed towards her. “Sorry. I was just… thinking about what to do next.”
 
“We're going to the Eastern Air Temple from here, right?” she asked, looking thoughtful as they walked inside. “Although I'd like to stop by the Northern Water Tribe first, though, if we had the time- Ursa, I mean Sura, needs healing that can only be done if I had some Oasis water and-“
 
“Why don't you head there instead, then?”
 
She blinked at him. “Huh?”
 
He gave her a cheerful smile as they sat down at the table with the rest of their little group. “Since you need to go to the Northern Water Tribe, why don't the four of you head up there to get the Oasis water for Lady Sura?”
 
Zuko, Toph, and Sokka all stopped what they were doing (the former two trying to keep their food from being devoured by the latter) and stared at the Airbender curiously. The expression on Katara's face could only be described as flabbergasted. “Four of us?”
 
“Yeah!” He selected a tasty-looking fruit from the bowl in the center of the table. “Appa can travel faster with just me. So I can head to the Eastern Temple, talk with Guru and meet up with you at the North Pole.”
 
Zuko leaned on his elbow. “And how are we getting to the North Pole?”
 
“Ship, I guess. Toph would be more comfortable on one anyway. You know she hates flying.”
 
The Earthbender in question huffed indignantly. “I don't hate flying- I hate not being able to see. There's a difference.”
 
“Still, I think I should go with you,” Katara mused. “What if Azula comes after you, or Appa gets hurt, or you get sick-!”
 
Aang shook his head, that same happy smile on his lips. “You need to get the Oasis water from the North Pole,” he reminded her.
 
Sokka nodded. “They won't give it to me because I'm not a `Master Waterbender' like you.”
 
Zuko took a bite of meat bun, chewed thoughtfully, and swallowed. “They'd probably seal me in a block of ice if I went without you,” he pointed out. “Fire Nation still isn't the most welcome in a lot of places, the Northern Water Tribe being one of them.”
 
“Oh, hell with it. I'll go with Twinkletoes.”
 
Everyone turned towards Toph. “You'll what?” Sokka asked between bites.
 
“I'll go with him to find this old Guru guy. That way, he's got a Master Earthbender-“
 
“And Metalbender,” Sokka added, his mouth full of bun.
 
“-In case Crazy or anyone else comes after him.”
 
Aang's expression was openly surprised. “You hate flying, Toph,” he repeated, his voice quiet. “Why would you want to come with me when… you…?” He trailed off, remembering her confession earlier but unwilling to say anything in front of the others.
 
She shrugged. “You may be the Avatar, but you're not omnipotent. You need someone to watch your back in case something happens.”
 
Sokka snorted. “Yeah- that way you won't end up with another scar on it.”
 
Katara bent the tea out of her brother's cup and splashed it in his face. “Sokka! That's mean!”
 
Dripping tea, Sokka glared at her. “You're one to talk. I just refilled my cup.”
 
“Wait a minute.” Zuko held up a hand. “Who's going where?”
 
“You, Sweetness, and Snoozles are taking a ship to the North Pole,” Toph answered cheerfully, “and Twinkletoes and I are going to look for the all-knowing Guru guy at the Eastern Air Temple.”
 
Zuko and Katara exchanged a brief but poignant glance. “Is… that okay?”
 
The Waterbender flushed slightly and reached for a meat bun, but paused and chose an apple instead. “It'd be a good opportunity for you to do some political schmoozing,” she replied. “So that the Fire Nation will be welcome in the future.”
 
“Besides, it's your mother we're getting that water for,” Sokka added, gesturing with a half-eaten bun. “We're not an Oasis water delivery service.”
 
Aang noticed Katara's hesitation over the meat bun and closed his eyes. I'm forcing her to become someone she's not. How can I claim to love her?