Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Mistaken Identity ❯ Night of the Ball (moment of reprieve) ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: KT still owns bleach.
 
[A/N]
 
I am so sorry for the delay. Was just caught up with everything. With the new semester starting, online review still ongoing, and at the same time working nights, well, for short, I was really busy.
 
Anyway, here's the next chappie. Hope you guys like it
 
To everyone who has reviewed, thank you so much. Really appreciate it.
 
 
 
Chapter 12
 
 
Night of the ball I
(moment of reprieve)
 
 
 
She heard the soft strains of the violin and the humdrum of the orchestra from the ballroom. She knew that people, friends and acquaintances alike, were starting to gather inside the well lit large circular room. They have all come, to what is supposed to be her party.
 
Her palms sweat at the thought of what is about to happen, her heart beating wildly corresponding to each beat and tempo of the music. The so sweet music, instead of steadying her nerves just jars her senses, adding more tension to her taut body.
 
She closed her eyes and said a silent prayer. No, prayers cannot help her now. Not a single plea could save her from her own destiny. No form of bargaining could get her out of this. No amount of persuasion could make her brother change his mind. Nothing can release her from this nightmare.
 
God! How quickly the days have gone by. How quickly her most dreaded day came. In such a short week, a span of seven days, her life has changed. No one informed her that so many depressing things could happen in such a short span of time.
 
She looked out the window, just in time to see her former best buddy pass by with two scout guards, obviously patrolling the west garden. Renji…she sighed. She never meant to hurt him. Obviously her brother has not informed the whole palace about her engagement. Guess he wants to surprise the whole frigging palace and its guest of the dreaded er, wonderful news.
 
Her eyes strayed and stayed with her friend as they rounded off the pavilion, out of her sight. How she missed her friend. She really didn't want to throw his proposition back to his face. But what else could she do? She was sure as hell surprised that he felt that way towards her. She never imagined he would. To her he would always be her best friend. The kind and caring brother that she never had.
 
He just doesn't make her heart flutter. His presence, though always welcome never flustered her. His smile never made her knees week. Her stomach never did summersaults with just a look from him. The thought of him never made her shiver with a tingling delight from head to toe. No, she never felt that way with Renji. She never felt the same way she did when she was with Ichigo.
 
Yet how could someone who can make her feel so wonderful, hurt her so terribly too?
 
She heard the door open, but she did not tear her eyes from the window. Without actually looking she knew who it was. The soft confident strides nearing her was another reminder of what is about to become of her life.
 
“Rukia” He waited for her to face him “It's time” He said as he offered his arm to his sister.
 
She looked at her brother, looking every inch like the royal prince that he was. His black trouser and white cotton piqued shirt under a black tailcoat made him look more distinguished and noble. Yet undeniably cold and distant.
 
She took a deep breath, reaching out for her brother's outstretched arm. She could do it, she told herself. She can. But her hand stopped midway, a few inches short from her brothers' arm.
 
God, no she can't do it.
 
“Rukia” he said with a hint of ire and steel in his voice.
 
“Just a few minutes more” she lifted her pleading eyes to his “Please” Not seeing any signs of softening in her brother “I promise, I'll do what you want me to do. I won't disgrace our name. I'll be there, but please, just a few minutes, no hours more.”
 
“You have till midnight before I announce your engagement. And by gods, you will be there when that happens, smiling prettily, doing justice to the noble name that you carry!” With that he swept out of her room. It has to be done he told himself quietly. It has to be done.
 
She could not believe she got the reprieve that she asked. “Thank you” She said softly.
 
-------------------------------------------------------
 
Chad was puffing by the time they got to the palace gates. He could not believe how eager Ichigo was to attend his own engagement party. Since early afternoon Ichigo has been a flurry of activity getting ready for the ball. He even wore the black formal attire that he used to detest so much without even a whine or an argument. Is he really that excited to meet the princess? Then he smiled, the next events would surely be hilarious enough for him.
 
They were ushered inside the great hall where a livery of servants were gathered, ready to take their cloaks. They were then escorted to the ballroom. Ichigo's eyes went wide behind his mask. The room was grandiose. Lights graced the white and gold colored paneling of the walls. The high vaulted ceiling was illuminated by five sparkling chandeliers, and another larger one in the middle, hanging gracefully casting the huge room in a soft glow. There were also alcoves in the sides whose openings were draped with a sheer, light fabric, lending a sort of privacy to those inside them. Then on one side, there stood a grand Y shaped staircase, the middle circular platform adorned with flowers, adding a charming touch to the said area. The balustrade was also decorated with yards or soft white silk arranged in semi arcs hanging from the balustrade with wreathes of yellow and white roses at each junction.
 
Every nook and cranny of the room spoke of beauty, style and power. Everything that he had struggled to have, dreamed of having is now right before his very eyes. And all of these could be his, the money, power and status quo, if, if he would ignore what his heart and soul yearns for.
 
“Whew!” Ishida said his eyes also roving around the place.
 
“Sir Kurosaki?” He turned around to the sound of the voice and found himself face to face with the green-eyed royal guard that he was asking Rukia about.
 
“Yes” he said, already thinking about asking him where Rukia was. He knew that this solemn faced guy could lead him to where she was.
 
“His Highness requests your presence in the library for a small chat.” Ichigo nodded and all there of them started walking “Alone” he added. Ishida and Chad immediately tensed up.
 
“We go with him” Chad said pointing at Ichigo.
 
“Oh but the party has much more to offer” A guy with silver white hair said. A creepy smile never leaving his face “It would be a shame for you guys to miss it” The hidden threat was not lost on the three.
 
How the hell that guy came up to them with him realizing or sensing it, Ichigo has no idea. But noticing his comrades' mounting ire “Stay” he said. He could not let them start a brawl. He and only he alone would bear the brunt and result of everything that is about to happen. With a final nod to Ishida and Chad he allowed himself to be led away.
 
“Who are you?” He asked as soon as the noise faded behind closed doors. The royal guard stopped walking and looked straight at him “Sir Ulquiorra Schiffer, Knight of the Realm” as he opened his uniform coat and graced Ichigo with the glimpse of his own zanpakutou.
 
Ichigo knew then that Ulquiorra was not someone to mess with. Yes, he was right from the beginning, this straight faced royal guard is as strong as he thought he would be. Maybe even stronger.
 
They now stood before a massive oak door, and Ulquiorra opened it without any qualms. “Pleas have a seat” he said, indicating a straight backed chair facing the big rosewood table in the middle of what looks likes like a library room. “His Highness, the Prince will be with you in a moment.”
 
He was then left alone, his thoughts going back to his plan. How would the princess react to what he is about to say? Would the prince consider it an insult, or a reprieve? Where could Rukia be at this moment?
 
Ichigo heard the door open and stood up looking at the man walking towards the table. In his hair was a kenseikan, leading no doubt in his mind about the man's identity. Ichigo bowed down before the prince. He was expecting some form of an angry welcome from him. But he never expected to be looked down with so much loathing. The princes' eyes raked him from head to toe, the ice in his eyes could not be mistaken.
 
“You have quite the guts to dream about something that is clearly out of your range” Byakuya said “You will regret ever aiming so high” with that he swept past Ichigo, but not fast enough not to hear the younger guy mutter “I already do” In a flash Ichigo was staring at a sword pointed directly at his throat.
 
He cleared his throat “Look, you don't want this. And neither do I. Why don't we just call it quits?” his eyes never leaving the princes'.
 
“You will not humiliate my sister!” still pointing his zanpakutou in Ichigo's chest. “You will go out there and finish what you have set out to do.” And then he left the room without as much as a glance at Ichigo.
 
He slumped in the chair, his hands rubbing his face. He never thought it would be that hard to break it off.
 
Damn! Damn! Damn!
 
----------------------------------------------------------
 
She felt that the walls were closing in on her. She has to get out. Getting her shawl that matches her gown, she went out of her chamber, quietly and stealthily going the long way about till she reached the eastern garden. If she was to fulfill her promise to her brother, she knew she has to stay close. The music can be heard from inside the ballroom. She walked around the garden, keeping within the shadows, going inside the small maze made of preened shrubs. Inside was dark, perfect, in complete tandem to how she feels. The lights only reaches out within the maze's entrance, while the inside, completely shielded within its walls was dark, except for the full moon casting its faint glow inside.
 
She looked up to the stars and the full moon. Usually, the moons beam and the twinkling stars could make her feel serene. But it wasn't the case tonight. She walked further inside the maze, towards the pavilion that she knew was there. She just doesn't want to be disturbed by nosy guest who never knew where to stay put.
 
Upon reaching her destination, she went inside the beautifully lit pavilion and sat inside. She sighed and closed her eyes, silently and fervently praying to the gods to give her courage to face her future. She was a Kuchiki, it was expected of her. And yes, she has no choice but to comply. And she will. The twisting pain in her chest seared, but still she will do it. She is a Kuchiki.
 
------------------------------------------------------
 
Ichigo looked at the large throng of people inside. They were all elegantly dressed, wearing their respective masks. Some even went all out as putting on ridiculous costume. He could still feel the whip if a purple dinosaurs tail as it smacked him in the back. And the irritating feathers on a woman's head dress. He didn't know if she was trying to be a rooster or a peacock. Standing on the stairs, his hands on the balustrade, he can even see a chicken, a cat, and a bunny making their way to the punch bowl. His eyes skimmed the big crush of people below. He was hoping to catch a glimpse of either the princess or Rukia. Ever since the prince has formally opened the masquerade ball, he had not seen either of the two girls that he was looking for. Chad and Ishida was also scanning the whole floor area under his instructions.
 
Just as he was about to give up, he saw a small peek of the redhead that he was supposedly betrothed to. Keeping his eyes on her, he quickly made his way. He had to at least try. Maybe she'd be more considerate and reasonable.
 
She was talking to two other girls, one was short with black hair tied into a knot. And for a brief second, he almost thought that she was Rukia. The other was tall and voluptuous with soft green hair falling freely in her back. All of them had their masks off and was busily chatting with one another.
 
“Oh Hime-chan, it truly is wonderful to see you again.” The smaller girl said.
 
So, she likes to be addressed formally huh? Stopping just a few feet behind her “Hime-chan” and waited till she turned towards him “Eh…yes?” she said, but her eyes held a look of bewilderment. “May I have this dance?” He has to talk to her.
 
“Go Hime!” the two other squeaked and pushed her towards him. He led her to the dance floor. He could tell she was silently guessing who he was. His hair was covered in a black bandana and his mask covers three fourths of his face, just leaving his mouth and chin uncovered.
 
“Uh…do I know you?” she asked.
 
“You might.” He answered. She was truly beautiful. But there was nothing extraordinary about her.
 
“Ok, let me guess!” she said, her eyes going round with each idea “Are you, uhm, I know you're an alien!” then she looked down “or maybe a pirate! Yes! You're Captain Ahab! Yes, you are” then looking at his legs “but you don't have moby dick with you, so most probably isn't him” Then looking Brightly again “I know, you are a ghost. No an evil entity!” she looked pleased with her conclusion “You take away girls as your slave and tie them up…”
 
His face was scrunched up in a look of disgust. Several times he was about to break off her incessant ramblings but she just kept on and on. God, he didn't think he could endure this kind of ramblings and train of thought for the rest of his life! Her so chirpy voice was felt like cymbals clanging in his ears.
 
“No Hime, please listen for a second” he said but she just kept on. “Just shut the fuck up!” he said. He was now quite desperate to stop his ears from bleeding. And wonders of wonders, she did.
 
He saw the fear reflected in her eyes, and also the beginning traces of tears. Shit! But before he could even apologize “I suggest you let her go this instant” It was Ulquiorra, and , oh hell, his eyes were not very friendly.
 
“Look” he started “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell Hime-chan”
 
Ulquiorra raked him with his eyes and led her away. Great going Kurosaki, he said to himself. Still feeling the royal guards' eyes on him he slowly made his way out towards the garden. He needs to think. Plan A talk to the prince, was an utter failure. Plan B talk to the princes was another complete failure. Shit!
 
He kept on walking, still thinking of ways to have his engagement called off, when he realized he had just entered a maze of sorts. It was smaller than the one inside the King's Court, but it offered more solitude. He kept on walking, not actually minding where exactly inside the maze he was going. Heck, he wouldn't even mind it if he got lost lost.
 
God, what is happening to me anyways? For as long as I can remember, marrying into a noble family was what I have always dreamed of. I have always wanted to be part of the nobility, having the same privileges and power as they have. Having enough money to support his crazy father and his two lovely sisters. And now that it's almost within my grasp, why do I want to suddenly just take off and leave it all behind? Why do I not feel content? Why does my heart refuses to agree with my brain. Rationally and realistically, I know what I should do. But my heart is pointing me to another direction. It's pointing me to her.
 
He knew, that the reason why he was willing to let go of everything that he has worked so hard for was the midget. He smiled at the thought. His midget. He could still not forget how utterly forlorn she looked that day in the forest. He has to make it right. But he just doesn't know how.
 
-----------------------------------------------------
 
She didn't know how long she had sat in the pavilion, but the night was becoming chillier every minute. She draped her shawl on her shoulders to protect herself from the draft. She felt completely alone. Then she heard some scuffing noises from within the maze. Great, just when she wanted, needed to be alone… damn. She hastily put on her mask. Maybe if she just ignores whoever it is that is disturbing her much needed solitude they would go away and leave her in peace.
 
----------------------------------------------------
 
He rounded off the last turn and came into a clearing. This must be the middle of the maze, he thought. Then his eyes drifted to the glittering pavilion in the middle. It was painted white with arched trellises. The roof was slanted and covered with a vine like plant that was pretty much blooming with yellow flowers. The flowers and the leaves were scattered on the roof and was also running down on each post, blending the colors beautifully. Small lights were also twirled on the post with the flowers. The lights covers the whole pavilion from the outside, and places the inside in a soft glow. It would have been a very romantic place if one was with the right person.
 
Just as he was about to step towards the pavilion, he saw that someone has already beaten him to it. Great, company, just what I didn't want.
 
He stood there, not really wanting to bother the other person, but also not wanting to go back to the ball. Just as he was about to leave the person inside stood up and turned. Their gazes locked and both felt their hearts skip.
 
 
[A/N]
 
So, *begs* don't throw in the bombs yet please!
Yes, there will be a part two. I promise! No bombs, please!
 
So, what do you guys think? I could have continued on but it would be too lengthy. I usually have an average length of 9 - 12 pages each chap, and if I went on and continued, I could end up with more than 20 pages.
 
Next chapter is already on the works. Wanna hear and read and know the inside scoop about the masquerade ball? Well, just click on the review button and you'll get your front row, special edition, Masquerade Ball part II.
 
 
Sneak Peek:
 
Something about her draws him close. He couldn't exactly see her face. But there is something compelling about her. Something that makes his heart flutter within his chest. Something that made him walk towards the pavilion, and say “May I have this dance my lady?”
 
She saw him walk up, for the life of her she couldn't seem to tear her gaze away from this elegantly masked man. Something about his gaze makes her knees weak and turns her insides into jelly. His mere presence tales her breath away. She couldn't seem to think. No words of protest got out of her mouth as she felt his left hand circle her waist, while the other entwined in hers.