Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Ran's Scary Thoughts ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Ran began to fidget, looking at the clock for the 97th time in the last hour before looking at the corner of the wall which had a small dot in the upper left hand corner that was simply fascinating.
She wasn’t waiting for anyone.
But she was excited that Conan was coming home.
That freaked her out.
It had been 9 years since Conan came to live with her and 5 years since she and Shinichi spilt up.
Though to be fair they had never been together in the first place.
Though they both knew that the feeling that they felt for each other was still going strong, Ran suggested that they try and move on.
Shinichi reluctantly agreed.
He had then started calling once a week.
Then slowly once every two weeks. Then slowly it went to once a month. Once every couple of months, to once a year.
He hadn’t called in two.
Ran had come to accept it. In fact she had even dated a few classmates, but none had ever filled that hole that she had kept Shinichi in for so long.
But now…
But now that feeling was coming back.
The feeling she would get when she looked at Shinichi, even heard his name.
But not for Shinichi.
For Conan.
She could feel the hole in her heart slowly start to patch itself up, but with Conan!
It really started when Conan and his little friend, Ai had started to date. Every time Ran saw them together, jealousy seeped into her body like a virus.
She didn’t know what was scarier in this situation; being jealous of Ai or the dreams she was having.
Trapped in a fiery kiss, Ran moaned, hands running through the others short brown hair. She felt his hands on the small of her back, slowly making their way to the hem of her shirt, Ran having no intention of stopping them. She moaned louder when they started lying soft butterfly kisses on her neck. Pulling at the hair of the man under her, meeting his gaze.
Only to be slightly tented by round glasses.
Waking up in a cold sweat, Ran scrambled out of bed, dashing to the bath.
“Tadima.” A voice called bringing her out of her recollections and thoughts. “Welcome home Conan-kun.” She smiled shyly, feeling her chest contract at the sight of him.
“Hey Ran-neechan! Don’t worry, I already ate. I’m going to take a shower okay?”
“Alright Conan-kun.” Her voice light and dreamy. When she heard the shower turn on she tensed.
“DAMNIT! I DID IT AGAIN!” she screamed and ran into her room, locking the door.
Conan poked his head out of the bathroom and looked to she if ran was ok.
“What the hell was THAT about?”

III

Ran fell onto her bed content on staring at the ceiling for the rest of her life.
What’s wrong with me! Why am I thinking about Conan THAT way! He’s pratically a little brother to me!
She sat up, leaning back onto the head board, sifting her gaze of to the picture of her and Shinichi on a school field trip to the aquarium when they were sixteen. They were standing in front of the turtle case, Shinichi, sticky from the soda. (he thought it would be funny to pretend to throw Ran into the crocodile was funny. She didn’t find it funny.) He was holding her by the waist in a warm hug both smiling.
She stared contently at the photograph. Conan and Shinichi look so much alike…She grabbed a washable marker from her desk picking up the picture. She smiled as she drew little glasses on top of the Shinichi’s face. She studied it hard, eyes widening with shock, dropping the picture as she dashed from the room, coming back, holding a school picture of Conan’s. looking back to the picture that had fallen, glass shattered around it.
Oh my god…
She dropped the photo.
I knew it! I KNEW IT! I confronted him so many times! HE LIED TO ME!
Conan…
Shinichi…
Are the same.
It explains so much.
Why Conan was always so smart.
Why when Shinichi was there, Conan wasn’t.
Why when Conan got his girlfriend, Shinichi told me not to wait for him anymore.
Why I feel the same towards Conan as I did Shinichi.
There ARE one in the same.

And I lost them.

III