Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction / Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dark Side of the Moon ❯ Hey Joe ( Chapter 26 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Hey Joe
*Matt*
I don't know what everyone's problem is. Why is everyone so depressed for? This is not working for me! I need to so something fast. I can't do anything for Perry. But for Ed and Blondie, that I can do!
I walked into the main lobby to them like Santa Claus at Christmas. Poppy and Ed looked like deflated balloons after a parade. I winced in grimace. Damn, I've seen happier faces in my chorus class! Well, better get to work! I whistled loudly to my victims. Blondie and Ed looked up at me. I straightened myself up a bit. “Come on,” I called out. “I'm taking you both with me!” They stared at me confused. “Why? Where are we going?” he asked. “To the prison.” I answered. Blondie and Ed stared at me as if I had lost my ever-loving mind. “Why?” Blondie asked. “To cheer you up.” I replied. This really lost them. “How is a trip to prison going to cheer us up?” Ed asked as he tried to make sense of my logic. I shook my head in distress. “Just come with me!” I demanded. Confused, my depressed friends followed me out of the Dark Moon House.
We walked downtown to the city. I had my excuses ready for when anyone stopped to ask where we were going. (We're not really allowed off campus until after six weeks. This is only week four. I don't really care. This is more important than some stupid campus rules. I really cannot take there moping around much longer!) Lucky for us, we were out in the clear all of the way. Good, because I have no time for a fight with the campus officials. Blondie and Ed stayed close to me like scared little children being shown that there were no such things as ghosts. My crew and I made it to the prison house. Visiting hours wouldn't end until three hours later. IT was only two o'clock now.
Once the guards were done searching us, (We had a bit of a problem with Ed because of his automail limbs. I cleared it up quickly!), we walked down to the visitor's room. It was a vacant place. Ed and Blondie stood on either side of me. I pressed the call button lightly. “Joey.” I said lightly. “It's me, Matt. I've brought a couple of people here to see ya.” Then, the barred door slid open. A slender looking young man dragged his feet over to us. He looked sullen and sick. The guy was in desperate need of a haircut and a bath. His dark green uniform hung too loosely on his skinny body.
Blondie moved in closer to me nervously. “Aw don't worry, girl,” I said softly. “He can't hurt ya. See? He's behind the glass.” I tapped the glass lightly to confirm it. That didn't help. The guy sat in front of us. “Hey man.” he said in a weak croak. I smiled in pity. I turned to my other two pals. “Ed, Poppy, this is my friend Joe.” I said. I turned back to my jailbait buddy. “Joe,” I addressed. “Tell the nice children why you are here.” Joe shut his eyes and drew in a deep breath. When he opened his yellowish-hazel eyes again, I could see that he was ready to begin.
“It started when I was sixteen.” Joe started his story. “I had a normal life at first. Matt and I were good pals. My life was great until I met Nancy. She was a lovely nymph. Silky light brown hair, deep violet eyes, bi-lingual, hot little body…” Joe shut his eyes for a moment to savor the image of his late girlfriend. I rolled my eyes in annoyance. I cleared my throat loudly. Joe came back to earth quickly. “Oh sorry,” he said. “Anyway, I loved Nancy. But I was too shy to approach her. But one spring, I decided to take my chances. It was at the Spring Dance. We were sitting on opposite ends of each other. I finally stood up and walked over to her. I asked, `Would you like to dance with me?' Nancy stood to her feet and said, `Sure.' We ended up hanging out together the entire dance. I was in heaven that night.
“From then on, we were dating. But the paradise was short-lived. Nancy kept cheating on me. I would be hurt but she'd beg me to forgive her. I was dumb, young, and in love at the time. So I always took her back. One night, I couldn't take the game anymore. I heard from Matt that Nancy was cheating on me with one of the guys that bullied me around in grade school. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I went to the local gun shop and bought a forty-seven caliber. I told Matt that I was going to kill that slut for playing around on me one too many times. He didn't believe me and said, `Very cute Joe, you know you don't have it in you to kill an ant!'”
I paused looking up. “Hold up!” I exclaimed in shock. “When did I ever say that?” Joe just ignored me and went on with his story. “That night, I crept of to her apartment.” he continued on. “I crawled silently across the floor to their bedroom. Nancy and the bastard were having sex at the time. It made my blood boil faster. I sprung forward into her room and fired the gun nine times. I had done it! I had killed that bitch and her asshole other man! But that taste of victory was short-lived. Four days later, I was arrested for first-degree murder. My trial didn't last too long either. I was convicted and sentenced to ten years in prison. I have to attend a juvenile correction program every week. I look back now and wish I hadn't taken this path. But it's too late, now.”
I looked to either side of me and saw that Blondie and Ed were sitting in silent shock. The security guard approached Joe. “Time's up pal!” he said. “Alright” Joe replied. He rose to feet and turned back to us. He waved pitifully at us. We all waved back. Then, Joe finished his journey back to his cell. It always breaks my heart to see him like that.
Ed, Blondie, and I were walking back to the campus. Silence was all around us a first. Then, Ed turned to me and said, “What was the point of all that?” I stopped dead in my tracks. My two companions stopped and turned to me in curiosity. I was upset. “I took you to hear Joe's story because,” I explained in a strong voice. “I don't want either of you to end up like him!” Blondie and Ed were stunned. I turned to Blondie first. “I don't want to see you go to jail for murdering your shitty boyfriend and best friend.” Then, I turned to Ed. “And I don't ever want to see you dead because of Perry being driven to kill you!” I snapped at my roommate. My two companions looked at each other in new thought about what I just said. I walked on ahead of them. My work here is done!
Where Are You Going to Run to Now?