Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Terdwilicker's Anime Reviews ❯ Martian Successor Nadesico ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

I really love Martian Successor Nadesico. ADV did the English dub and its one of their best works. Not only that, but they got the voice actor from the English dub for Evangelion to play the main hero that parodies both Gundam and Evangelion. Exactly like the Japanese production got the Japanese voice actor from Evangelion for their show. Because Symmetry. 

Evangelion is depressing. Nadesico has its moments of seriousness, but it is often fun. The hero, Aikito Tenkawa, is a cook from Mars, and he is terrified of the Jovian Lizards (alien invaders) who attack Earth and its satellites and colonies with murderous robots, killing everyone. The problem is, he's a good pilot and his childhood friend is the captain of the newest space battleship Nadesico. So they hire him as a cook, then force him to pilot a robot to fight the aliens. His battlecry is "I'm a cook!". 

For someone to fully enjoy this show you need to watch at least one series of Gundam, which is basically hard feelings and backstory and intrigue for around 19 episodes, followed by 4 episodes of battle culminating in a space colony getting dropped on Earth in retaliation. And I'm not even joking. The hero often dies. And nothing is really resolved, only anger and desire for revenge is renewed. I kinda feel like this is Japan complaining about how the USA rebuilt their country after they committed war crimes across the Pacific and massacred civilians in China, but pretend it was okay because we nuked them twice at the end. We didn't HAVE to stop. Why they persist in their militant bigotry, I just don't understand. But it is a huge part of Gundam's themes, and consistently lacks self-awareness that Japan was a villain in WW2. Go figure. 

Nadesico has a bunch of fun characters, several of which develop feelings for Tenkawa, who just wants to be left alone to cook in the galley and make delicious food for people. 

There is no movie called Prince Of Darkness alleged to be a sequel. It does not exist, exactly like the Star Wars movies since Disney bought the franchise and ruined it for billions of fans. Nadesico was a 26 episode TV series. That is all.