Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Terdwilicker's Anime Reviews ❯ Trigun ( Chapter 12 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Trigun was recently remade, and I heartily encourage anyone interested to completely ignore it and watch the original. Yes, it is old, hand drawn cell animation and a bit of CGI. It is goofy. It has real biting tragedy in it. Characters die. It is about death. It is also about rebirth, and redemption. Trigun is what you get when you take the Akira Kurosawa catalog of dozens of Samurai movies, and all the Long Wolf And Cub movies, and then put them on a desert planet on a failed colony in space where water is the most precious resource, power is supplied by dying aliens that use biological fusion to make power and water, and bandits and madmen terrorise towns you swear belong in a spaghetti western. It is goofy. The main hero is Vash the Stampede, a criminal of mass destruction or a goofy and cheerful clown who happens to be where the exciting things are happening. He's getting blamed for stuff bandits and master criminals do. It isn't fair the moon got blown up. 

The thing is, the story of Vash and the two insurance girls who follow him everywhere are a good comedy team. The events that gradually lead to facing the master villain require time and effort to reveal, something that should not happen in the second ep of the show. Ahem. Vash is hindi for "victory", and he's lucky. He wins by being lucky a lot of the time. The girls follow him around, noting he's not the cause of all the damages and deny many of the claims against him, for their company, justifying their continued journeys. Many things happen, and many crimes and villains are revealled. It is a good story, and a huge influence on later anime. It may feel dated and hard to watch, however, so don't feel ashamed if you can't deal with how old it is.