Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Terdwilicker's Anime Reviews ❯ Youjo Senki aka Tanya The Evil ( Chapter 22 )

[ A - All Readers ]

The Saga of Tanya the Evil or Youjo Senki in Japanese is the story of a Job (pronounced jobe) from the Old Testament of the Bible. In this case, refusing the attentions of a hateful god causes escalation and things continue to get worse. First, the hero of the story dies, and it pretty much gets worse from there. Rather than descend to hell, he is reincarnated as a little girl a the start of WW1, which has been extended into the 1920's without resolution because magic is real, and mages can fly and fire artillery spells from their rifles, using the bullet to aim and send the spell downrange. Things are not good, and Tanya is a cute little blonde girl, abandoned by her mother at an orphanage and chooses to join the German military in order to get an officer's rank rather than suffer as a conscript. She is good at it and gains magical power and skill as a leader. She is also able to twist the laws of the Geneva Convention to commit war crimes, which she does pretty often. She wins but scares people on all sides because she is ruthless. Tanya most wants a comfortable retirement, and plans to get a Rear Eschelon job, away from battle. Unfortunately, showing ability as a soldier and cleverness in papers written on strategy gets her promoted back to the frontlines and back into danger. This is her own fault and she curses God for making her suffer. God intends for her to pray to him, but she doesn't like to cave to the sort of monster-being that turns a man into a little girl and then shoves her into a war. Not the actions of a loving god. Tanya is much beloved by fanfiction authors because she is ultra-rational, angry, and forced to adapt to unwanted situations and overwhelming odds, the sort of thing you want to see in a hero. She does not have an easy time, so she's easy to write dealing with stuff that isn't a pushover. 

Additionally, the voice actress for Tanya is the same one as for Madoka in Madoka Magica and for Komachi from SNAFU/Oregairu. These are heavy burdens on the soul, and if you like isekai, it is easy to have that same girl having lived all three of these lives, thus a very interesting character is produced. The cutest little sister in anime is secretly the terrifying war criminal and the horrified magical girl who had to kill her best friend to save the world and died in the process. So yeah, Tanya is a great character with all kinds of isekai protential.