Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Terdwilicker's Anime Reviews ❯ FLCL aka Fooly Cooly ( Chapter 30 )

[ A - All Readers ]

FLCL is probably the best anime ever made about the stages of adolescence. And it does it with both abstract and massively overstated imagery. It is a beautiful show, extremely creative animation, and has some memorable characters, including the main love interest, who does not care much about the hero so much as the thing that's inside him. You could say it is his potential, or you could call it the metaphor for the man he could grow up to be. It is a lot of metaphor. 

This show would be required viewing for teenage boys except that there's some implied sex in it, and some nudity and metaphors that allude to it, so can't actually recommend it to the underage. For those over 18, it is pretty interesting and has a ton of memes based on it. 

The television as a guitar playing monster and the giant steam iron factory, and the monsters that erupt... its a very strange show. There's a girl with a Rickenbacher base that's got a rope pull start 2-stroke engine, and a rare Japanese motorscooter (it isn't a vespa, its a Rabbit), and a particular guitar riff played by the Pillows, which is a Japanese punk band that's pretty good. Their soundtrack in the series was very timely.