Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Terdwilicker's Anime Reviews ❯ Full Metal Panic ( Chapter 29 )

[ A - All Readers ]

The basic setting here is there are a few people whose brains have access to some really amazing technology that they access via some kind of telepathy to the akashic record, which is a popular trope in certain kinds of Buddhist-scifi. These Whispered are rare, and valuable because anybody with access and control over them can get the next cold-fusion reactor or microwave oven. They are worth kidnapping by governments or arms dealers. 

Our heroine is a girl who is a Whispered and our hero is a child soldier whose plane got hijacked to Afghanistan during one of its wars and ended up mentally damaged by the trauma. He has the same scar as Ruroni Kenshin, which is deliberate, and is forced to go undercover as a returned Japanese student in the same school and class with our heroine in order to protect her while an arms-dealer is hunting her. Many comedy events occur as the this child soldier overreacts to common mistakes, making the girl hate him and think he's a weirdo. This is good comedy buildup. Then there's a school trip that goes wrong and our hero reveals himself not to be some military otaku but an actual capable mecha pilot to the girl that's been convinced he's just nuts until now. True love? Probably. 

Fumoffu is even more comedy. Most the remainder of FMP is not so fun, and goes increasingly dark and depressing. The only bright points include revealling that Sagara enjoys fishing as his hobby, and that this is an actual legitimate medical case for bigamy, since Whispered can be telepathic with each other, and this happens between the heroine and the captain, who is a teenage girl genius Whispered, herself. Not many fan fiction stories talk about the complexities of fully linked telepathic wives, but Sagara will have to figure that out. 

The mecha in this series are much beloved and pretty realistic. The magic light hawk wings are NOT beloved, and pretty well wrecks the setting. The comedy works well, and Fumoffu is excellent, and silly.