Crossover With Non-anime Series Fan Fiction ❯ Terdwilicker's Anime Reviews ❯ Solo Leveling ( Chapter 50 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Manhau are manga, only with a lot more white space, and every panel takes a page. They also read from left to right. Solo Leveling is a Korean take on the reverse isekai Gate idea, only without nationalism or cute girls being cute or giggling villains. Instead, you get the approach from the country with the highest suicide rate in the world: Korea. And its dark. In the first episode the hero gets arms and legs cut off and only survives pure gutteral horror because a timer runs out and he gets the Gamer treatment in a world where 1% of the population get superpowers, but they are fixed rather than trainable, so the Koreans have a problem with warlords in their general population, and laws to prevent them being evil don't count behind the gates, which lead to pocket universes with monsters, and a countdown timer that releases them outside, forcing the super powered idiots to risk their lives clearing the gate so it will close without releasing this horde of aliens. 

It is a dark story. Definitely not one to watch last show of an evening. And worse, you keep expecting things to get worse, because they mostly do. And with the title Solo Leveling, you keep expecting the protagonists friends, gf, and sister, and mom to all die leaving him along and abandoned, full of grief and rage and desire for revenge because the warlords want him dead, even if they aren't sure why. It is that kind of show. So like SAO, only darker. And without giggling villains.