Cyborg 009 Fan Fiction ❯ Bullet in the Dark ❯ Lighter Heart ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: No, I don't own the Cyborgs. I just like messing with their minds.

Bullet in the Dark

Chapter 5: Lighter Heart

Author's Note:

There's really not much to say, but oh well. Yes, now you know whom the man in the dark was: Scarl. His last name, Kugaikotsu, is the Japanese word for skull. Kind of cool, huh? Hope you enjoy this chapter!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

The two stood in almost companionable silence, none of them talking.

Françoise quickly finished the Danish and was sipping her coffee. She wanted to start a conversation, but she could find of anything to say.

Finally, she gave up, and said simply, "Why didn't you kill me? For real?"

He glanced at her lazily, like a cat on the prowl. He shrugged, not saying anything.

She sighed, feeling a tad exasperated. "Please… Tell me…"

He rolled his eyes at her. "Are you always so annoying?" he asked.

"Annoying?" she squawked. "Annoying? I was the one who you wanted to murder in cold blood!"

"And you're the one who wanted me to do it," he said simply. He could feel her anger rising, which amused him to almost no end.

"And you didn't!"

"You know, you look cute when you're mad," he said.

Françoise stepped back, blush rising to her cheeks like a flaming sunset. "Y-you, you -- jerk!" She turned and stomped back into the condo.

This time, he truly did laugh. He wasn't stupid; he knew how to flatter a girl so she would shut up.

Suddenly, he stopped.

He had laughed.

Laughed like he was happy, and not because he wanted to piss someone off.

Well, he did. Just a tat bit, that is.

So what was it? That strange, strange emotion that he felt when Françoise was around him?

It wasn't an emotion that he was used to, if you counted bloodlust as an emotion.

What was happening to him?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

His face was contorted in total fury, his eyes burning into the three men in front of him.

"What do you mean, you have no idea where she is? I know you have her!" he hissed.

"We don't know where she is," Shiva said. He was, unlike the man, extremely calm.

His brother followed his comment. "And if we did, why would be tell you?"

"Unless you pay us," the last man said, finishing up.

Scarl glared at the group. "Expect to hear from me," he growled before sweeping his cape and walking away.

"Of course we will," the three brothers said, long after he left. "Of course we will."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

009 walked out of the condo, dressed in black, cape sweeping behind him, leaving for 'work'.

The girl, he knew, was in his bedroom.

He didn't care about what she did, as long as she didn't kill herself.

He knew she would try to escape.

Why was he still keeping her?

Like a caged bird, would she still sing?

What did he care?

His dark eyes were intent on the ground as he walked to the tall building so familiar to him.

In almost no time, he arrived.

He felt himself go almost instantly emotionless --could he do that?-- like a wooden statue.

He walked into the elevator, pressing the key to the 18th floor.

A dark lobby was what he saw, a man in the dark waiting for him.

"009," he said, acknowledging him. Like his own, it was emotionless.

"Sir."

Not to waste any time, the man said bluntly, "You didn't kill Arnoul's daughter last night."

He remained passive, like the stone his heart had become, hardening over the years like a fossil.

"Our sources say you have her right now."

Nothing.

"Why?"

Like a stone… like a stone.

The words ran through his head like a mantra, forever repeating, etching it into his brain.

Before he could even think about answering, the man continued.

"Are you too lonely, is that it? Or maybe you want some more female companionship. What is it, 009?"

"None of those." The words flew out like arrows, sharp and precise.

"Then why?"

Silence surrounded the air around them like snakes, squeezing him until he wouldn't breathe, and he wanted to gasp for air and beg for mercy, and-

"You can keep her."

The warmth of relief wrapped encircled him.

But what was he so tense about anyway?

He already knew they would say so, so why…?

"You can keep her as long as she isn't found."

"Thank you, Sir."

"Now that that is over, about your mission today…"

He was once more quiescent and alert.

"A young boy, heir to the Fujiwara fortune. He was just found by his father, who was childless until now. Before, the fortune would have gone to us. Now, however, he might be named the new heir. He must be killed. No more mistakes, understand 009?"

"Yes Sir."

"His file will be sent."

A phrase he has heard so often. A death warrant, by all means.

"You may go."

"Yes Sir."

He left, heart feeling perhaps a bit lighter than before.

But what would the girl say when she found out?

What would she do…?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Françoise walked to the balcony.

Her kidnapper, the man she still had no name for, had left earlier.

Where was he?

Why was she so worried, anyway?

He was the man that was about to kill her without a second glance, so why was she feeling things she shouldn't for him?

She was too tenderhearted, her father had told her when she was younger, and cried when she found a dead bird.

But what did her heart have to do with anything?

She should be running, screaming, yelling, asking the gods for an answer.

No. Why. Who. Yes. Please.

A breeze froze her back.

The door slammed shut.

He was home.

Her kidnapper, her angel…

A savoir.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Finally done! This was a really hard chapter to write, because I didn't know how to write it, not to mention it wasn't dark. I was too bubbly. BAD! Please give some support!

Reponses to Reviews:

Kuramie: You put me on your favorite author's list? WOW! I'm so pleased! Extremely happy that you enjoy my writing so much!

GoldAngel2: Actually, there will be quite a few twists in this story later on… so be prepared to be amazed! Me, giving you good support? I must say the same for you! You are one of the best Cyborg writers, and don't deny it!

Queen of Duels: Pizza! Yummy! Myunt myo (Thank you, but with a stuffed mouth!)! I'm so happy you like this story!

InSaNe ReAdEr: You're right. Françoise is starting to scare me. Why is she so calm?! Then again, she is the sweet-tempered Françoise! I'll update both stories as fast as I can!

CosmosAngel1: Thank you, thank you! Hey, you should have seen my earliest writing. I don't know how I ever wrote it! I bet, with a little practice, you could become even better than me!

TFRiD Queen: Hehe! I was worried it was too cheesy! I'm glad you like it now though! Glad you like my story!

Aria Zephyr: Silly! Haha! I hate arranged marriages, too, so I put one in! I'm thinking, if I hate it, maybe other people will, too! And no one though of Françoise, either! They just said she had to marry him! It's not fair!

The Truth: Ah… Someone who is so dissatisfied with my story that s/he wrote the longest review yet. I must say that you are, in fact, a coward. Why not tell me what your penname is and let me read your stories so I can improve by reading your 'deep' work? Instead of giving me ways to improve, you just tell me so. As an author, I have never said I was completely happy with my work. In fact, I probably never will. When have I ever said, 'WOW! This is the greatest story I have ever written! It must have been done by a genius!'? As for the part when I said I 'I knew I once again made it too deep and moving and all, but I know it was good', it was said half-heartedly. I had wanted to lighten up a bit, but I had not succeeded. You also commented on how this story was cliché. My goal is to write something new in the CYBORG fanfiction world. I've seen stories like this, too, in different categories. I'm some-what glad that this is new in CYBORG fiction world! Do you know how many stories there are on this site, in this world? Please. Think about what you're typing. But, all in all, I will think about what you said, and will try to do better. Thank you for giving me your time.

Black Rose Elise: No problem about the tips! I'm still glad you like my story and is checking back!

Sesshoumaruwuzhere: Lucky you! My school starts next week (Aug. 25)! Schools do mess things up a lot, huh? Anyway, we must keep in touch and everything! You're the bestest!

Serene Faerie: EEPS! You love my story? You're great! And this is coming from a wonderful writer, too! I'm amazed! Thanks for thinking so!

Kurama's Mate: I'm glad you love it! I'm writing more!

Sess9: This story deserves a 'wow…'?! Thank you!

Blade Cyberstrike: You think it's dark? Thank you so much! I was getting worried because a flamer said it was so totally not. I have potential? That's way too flattering! This story will have over 15 chapters, that's for sure, because I do tend to drag it for a long time while still writing nicely. You have this story 2nd only to another story? I'm honored beyond words! That's very nice of you! As for a character death at the end… I'm thinking about that. Thanks for your wonderfully long review! You made me want to write again!

Dante: Dark, good, and well written? Now you're just flattering me! But then again, thanks for thinking so!

Cherry Blossom Princess2: Updating as fast as I can! Thanks for the review!