D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Who is the Greatest Thief? ❯ Lost Loves ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Who is the Greatest Thief?
 
Chapter 1—Lost Loves
 
Okay, new story time!! (Unenthusiastic cheers from behind) ::WHACK:: (Slightly more enthusiastic cheering from behind)
 
It all started something like this (a scene between me and several muses):
 
Kiki: Okay, so who wants to help me write a new story?
 
::cricket cricket::
 
Kev: What kind of story?
 
Kiki: A D.N.Angel fic where Meg, Akkiko and I are art thieves just like Dark!
 
::cricket, cricket::
 
Dorin: Wonder how he's going to react to that?
 
Kiki: WAAH! (T.T) Can't one of you help me in the SLIGHTEST??
 
Muses: No!
 
Kiki: Help. . . (Was blown over by force of `No') ::stands up:: Okay, FINE! I'll write it myself!
 
(Sits down at computer, looking determined)
 
::five hours later::
 
Drake: Are you still at it?
 
Kiki: WAH!!! (T.T)
 
Yes, another self-insertion. Please don't shoot me.
 
(Random Author's note: Because of the . . . erm . . . material that's eventually going to happen ^^;; you are to assume that the ages of the characters are . . . slightly adjusted. In other words, Daisuke, Satoshi, etc. are about sixteen years old, and in grade eleven; Dark and Krad look. . .eighteen? Nineteen? Twenty-ish?)
 
(Another random author's note:
 
: . . . : single colons in italics denote Dark mind-speaking
 
`. . .' single quotations in italics denote Daisuke mind-speaking
 
Easy, right?)
 
---
 
Phantom Thief Dark . . . the greatest thief in all Asia . . . no one can beat him . . .
 
Those were the things the papers always said first thing in the morning. Everyone in Japan knew of the mysterious burglar, who was said to have black wings, who was said to disappear without a trace every time, who was said to be uncatchable. . .
 
The greatest thief? Perhaps.
 
But what if there came along those that were greater . . . ?
 
---
 
Daisuke came into school, grabbed his indoor shoes, and made his way to homeroom. Dropping his bag beside his desk, he collapsed into it, looking depressed.
 
His eyes drifted over to two empty desks in the corner of the classroom. Those were two desks that wouldn't fill up when the bell rang. They weren't coming back . . . not for a long time.
 
-flashback-
 
“Um . . . Daisuke?” Daisuke turned to see Risa and Riku standing, blushing, with downcast eyes.
 
“Hey, girls,” he said, blinking in confusion. “Ah . . . what's up?”
 
Risa looked and Riku and stepped forward hesitantly. “Um . . . well . . . we . . . Riku and I decided that you should be the first to know, Daisuke!”
 
“We're . . . that is . . . our family is moving.” Riku bit her lip. “Our father is getting transferred to Hong Kong . . . we'll be leaving in a week. . .”
 
Daisuke felt something inside of him drop. It was about the size of a boulder.
 
“You're . . . leaving? For how long?”
 
“We don't know.” Risa looked him in the eye. “But we just wanted to let you know—we still want to talk to you! We still want to be friends—”
 
“Good friends,” Riku added. “And. . .I mean, long-distance relationships are never easy, but. . .you know, with internet and snail mail, we could make it work!”
 
Daisuke forced his face into a smile and scratched the back of his head nonchalantly. “Yeah—we'll be penpals. That'll be great! And—” He gave them a true smile. “I know you girls will make loads of friends at your new school.”
 
Risa and Riku smiled and both gave off sighs of relief. “We knew you'd understand Daisuke.”
 
“Yeah,” he chuckled. “That's me.”
 
-end flashback-
 
:That's me. . .:
 
Daisuke suddenly sat up ramrod straight. `Dark?'
 
:You're an idiot, you know. They leave, and all you can say is “let's be penpals?”:
 
`Like I had a choice. What did you want me to do, kidnap them and lock them in the basement?'
 
:Hmm, maybe not, but you could have done something!! Something other than:
 
“Hey, Daisuke!” Takeshi suddenly clapped Daisuke on the shoulder, and shoved a paper under his nose. “Did you read the article on Dark?”
 
Daisuke sweatdropped. It was morning ritual in his class for Takeshi to yak on and on about Dark—Daisuke cringed to think about the day that he found out his best friend actually was the Phantom Thief Dark.
 
. . .Well, in a matter of speaking. . .
 
The bell rang, cutting off both Takeshi's rant and Dark's obvious pouting. Daisuke was left to brood in his math class.
 
Daisuke glanced over at the window; Satoshi was sitting, reading a book. Lucky guy barely even had to pay attention in class. Daisuke held back a sigh; Satoshi definitely knew about Dark, not to mention he now had Krad to worry about. When did life get so complicated again?
 
Daisuke was definitely at rock bottom. Risa and Riku, his first loves, were gone; Krad wanted to kill him; Satoshi wanted to throw his alter ego into jail; he shared his DNA with a criminal—
 
:Get over yourself, already: Dark snapped.
 
`What? It's true—you are a criminal.'
 
:I am not getting into this again—for the last time—:
 
“Attention class!” Yutabaka-sensei, the math teacher, called out. “Can I please have your attention—Takeshi, put down that newspaper. Thank-you. Now, then, I am pleased to announce that we have three exchange students from America joining us. Ladies—”
 
Daisuke blinked as murmurs went around the classroom. Exchange students? This late in the year?
 
For some reason he looked at Satoshi; all that was between him and Daisuke was another empty desk. Satoshi seemed unaffected by the news, but through hanging out with him, Daisuke could see a flicker of interest as he pulled out a little notebook and started writing in it.
 
The sliding doors opened and in walked three girls, all looking like they were sixteen. The class, once again, started whispering.
 
The first girl that walked in had pale skin and long dark brown hair with a purple streak in it (The teacher's face twitched as he took that in). She also had piercing green eyes and a rather closed expression. She carried a courier bag, and in her hands, she had what could have been a sketchbook.
 
The second girl was a typical Asian girl, with black hair and slightly tanned skin, but her eyes were also an unusual color: in this case, a brilliant sea-blue. Not to mention that she stared down everyone in the class with a kind of violent, mischievous energy. Across her shoulder was a tattered backpack with several pins and stickers.
 
The last girl was the tallest of the three, with reddish-copper hair and grey eyes that also stared everyone down. Daisuke almost shuddered as the temperature dropped a few degrees. Obviously not a people person. She carried a brand-new bag, very fashionable.
 
“Ladies, if you could introduce yourselves?” Yutabaka asked, after writing their names on the board.
 
The girls looked at each other with cynical expressions, and the whole class sweatdropped. Why bother writing our names on the board if we're just going to tell them ourselves?
 
The girl with the purple streak stepped forward. “Konnichiwa; my name is Korazuma Shido. I'm very pleased to meet you.” She bowed slightly to the class, who all blinked. As she stepped back, her closed expression did not change.
 
The blue-eyed Japanese girl stepped forward. “My name's Ginryu Uujou; I was in the same class as Korazuma in America, and I would just like to warn you that I am completely insane!”
 
Korazuma sighed and smacked Ginryu upside the head; the class sweatdropped again.
 
The grey-eyed girl stepped forward. “I'm Aiko Tatari; I was also in the same class as Kora-chan and Gin-chan, and I would like to second Gin-chan's announcement—she is crazy. We all are.”
 
This time, even the teacher sweatdropped. “Well, um . . . that was a very interesting introduction, ladies,” he said, wiping his brow. “Now, then, Uujou, Tatari, you'll be taking the two desks at the front. . .”
 
Daisuke held back a sigh as the two girls sat down. Risa and Riku's desks . . .
 
“And Shido, you'll be sitting at the back, between Daisuke Niwa and Satoshi Hiwatari.”
 
Daisuke looked at the desk to his left; he stood up and smiled. “It's this one, Shido-san,” he said cheerfully, as the girl made her way towards it. She nodded at him and sat down.
 
Daisuke also sat down and watched the three new students out of the corner of his eye as the class proceeded. They kept their heads down, did the work, and when Yutabaka-sensei went into a totally unrelated tangent, Ginryu and Aiko talked in low voices at the front. Korazuma opened what was indeed a sketchbook and began doodling in it.
 
When the lesson was finally over, the class started buzzing with the usual gossip-filled conversations, with no few glances at the new girls. Ginryu and Aiko sat up on their desks and called over to Korazuma. The girl stood up; unfortunately, her hand knocked her sketchbook and it fell to the floor, scattering pieces of paper all over the place.
 
Daisuke stood up as Korazuma bent down, blushing. “Sorry,” she muttered, grabbing the papers hurriedly.
 
Daisuke shook his head. “No problem,” he said, gathering the papers also. “Here you go—” He was about to hand her the stack of papers when he happened to glance down at one drawing.
 
It was Dark. Dark, flying across the moonlit sky, his black wings stretched and yet still scattered with stars. The Phantom Thief's face was slightly turned away from the viewer, and the whole thing was shaded in perfectly, with a single word etched in the bottom corner:
 
Freedom.
 
“Ah—” Daisuke stared until Korazuma gently took the stack from him. “Um . . . that's a . . . really good drawing . . . you're really talented.”
 
“Thanks,” she said, putting them back in her sketchbook.
 
“Excuse me,” said a voice behind her. It was Satoshi. “I believe this also belongs to you.”
 
Daisuke looked around Korazuma's shoulder at the picture. His eyes widened. This time the picture was of Krad—white wings spread with the setting sun in the background; his long hair partially covering his face, which was turned to the viewer, his eyes staring, piercing, with another word in the top corner:
 
Judgement.
 
“It is a very nice drawing,” Satoshi said, bringing Daisuke back to this dimension. “May I ask where the inspiration came from, Shido-san?”
 
Korazuma was silent for several minutes as she took hold of the drawing, but Satoshi didn't let go. “. . . Well, it will sound silly to you, but I get my ideas for my drawings from . . . dreams.” She stopped, blushing, as if waiting for Daisuke and Satoshi to start laughing.
 
Satoshi let go of the drawing. “Interesting,” he said, and sat down. As Korazuma made her way to Ginryu and Aiko, Daisuke watched both her and Satoshi. In the meantime, Dark was going nuts.
 
:How the hell did that girl draw such a picture of me?! It's like she took it out of real life—like she was watching me fly as she drew it! But she just moved to Japan, right? So how—:
 
`Personally, I'm more worried about how Krad feels about his picture,' Daisuke thought, looking over at Satoshi. He was faced away from Daisuke, looking out the window. `I don't think either of them bought Shido-san's story about it coming from her dreams.'
 
:Hmph. Suspicious bastards. I believe her. . . . .Although I still don't like it:
 
Daisuke sighed and tuned in to what Takeshi was saying at the front of the classroom—yet another rant on Phantom Thief Dark. Whoopee.
 
“Who is this guy?” rang out another voice. It was Ginryu Uujou.
 
Takeshi stared at her. “You don't know?! Phantom Thief Dark is the greatest thief in all of Asia! I wouldn't be surprised if he was the greatest thief in the entire world!”
 
Ginryu grabbed the paper from his hand and scanned it. “Hah—the greatest art thief in the entire world—just because he's never been caught? He wouldn't last long in America . . . probably just another smoke-and-mirrors wannabe trying to play with the big boys.”
 
Takeshi went red. Mentally, so did Dark. And poor Daisuke was left to try and tune both of them out.
 
---
 
When the bell rang, signalling the end of the period, Korazuma, Ginryu and Aiko were almost the first ones out the door, except—
 
“Shido! Come here for a moment, please.”
 
Korazuma stopped and went up to Yutabaka's desk, face unreadable.
 
“I am very pleased to have you in my class; however, I cannot atone for that hideous streak in your hair. It totally goes against school rules; therefore, I must ask you to dye it out by tomorrow.”
 
“But sensei—” Korazuma absently touched the purple streak. “I . . . I like it. It makes me an individual.”
 
“Be an individual some other way,” he said hotly. “I want it gone by tomorrow, otherwise it's study halls until the end of the year.”
 
Korazuma sighed. “Yes sensei—”
 
“But sensei!” Aiko suddenly popped up on Korazuma's shoulder. “Kora-chan's hair looks awesome with the streak, and after all, my hair's a weird color too—”
 
“But your hair color is natural, Tatari. Rules are rules.”
 
“Excuse me, Sensei.” Yutabaka and the two girls jumped as Satoshi came up behind them. “I believe you should allow Shido-san to keep her hair as it is. After all, everyone knows you dye your hair all the time.” Everyone's eyes went to Yutabaka's greasy-looking dark brown hair. Now that he mentioned it. . .
 
As the silence that ensued dragged on, Satoshi walked out of the classroom.
 
The teacher blubbered a bit. “I . . . that's—ahem!” he wiped his brow with a handkerchief. “Very well, Shido, you may keep that streak—for the time being.” His eyes snapped to the back of the room. “Niwa! Get to class!”
 
“Y-yes, Sensei,” Daisuke said, gathering up his books and hurrying out of class, followed by Aiko and Korazuma.
 
“Hey,” he said to Korazuma. “He's not so bad, Yutabaka-sensei, that is; once he gets used to you, he won't mind what color your hair is.”
 
Korazuma nodded. “Thank-you, um . . .”
 
“Oh! My name's Daisuke! Daisuke Niwa. It's a pleasure to meet you, Shido-san.”
 
“Oh, please, just call me Kora. It's much easier.”
 
“You can call me Ai-chan!” Aiko said, resting her arms on Korazuma's shoulders. “Nice to meet you, Daisuke-kun.”
 
“Yes, well, I'll see you in class—”
 
“Wait. That other boy . . . the one who helped me . . . his name is Satoshi, right?” Korazuma asked.
 
“Yeah, Satoshi Hiwatari. Why?”
 
“I want to thank him for helping me out.”
 
“Daisuke!” The three all looked to see Takeshi running towards his friend, a mini-radio in hand. “I just heard that a note has been delivered to the Hakashito Museum—tonight, at ten o'clock, Phantom Thief Dark is going to steal the Diamond Vial of Venus!”
 
“Ah . . . that's . . . great, Takeshi,” Daisuke said, sweatdropping. His mother had dropped another note . . . perfect.
 
He turned back to Aiko and Korazuma, to find the both of them gone.
 
---
 
“So, how's tonight at ten?”
 
“That's when Phantom Thief Dark is supposed to grab it.”
 
“Okay, then—nine fifty-five.”
 
“That'll work.”
 
“Why are we stealing another thief's target? It doesn't seem very honourable.”
 
“Honour among thieves? Oh, please. . .”
 
“Anyways, it's not like we're just stealing his target. This `Great Thief' needs to learn he's got some competition—and besides, it'd be rude not to introduce ourselves.”
 
“Introduce ourselves. Right.”
 
“Then tonight at nine-fifty-five. The Hakashito Museum. The Diamond Vial of Venus. Shouldn't be too hard.”
 
“Not for us, at any rate.”
 
“Right.”
 
# # #
 
And . . . that's it! Yay! Okay, first chapter complete . . . The real fun begins in chapter two—Bwahahaha!
 
And as a side note, I'll probably be drawing the two sketches mentioned in this chapter (one of Dark and one of Krad); they'll just be for fun, but if they're good enough, I may put them up on the internet (since my friend Rae now has a working scanner which I shamelessly use for my own work) ^^;;
 
Disclaimer: I do not own D.N.Angel, any of its characters, etc. I do not gain any profit from this story, and this story is for entertainment value only.