D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Who is the Greatest Thief? ❯ Competition ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Who is the Greatest Thief?
 
Chapter 2—Competition
 
Hello, everybody—Kiki-chan here with some last-minute pre-chapter notes!
 
First of all, this chapter—heck, this whole story— is dedicated to Akkiko, whom, as of March 26, I have known for two years! (Didn't know that, did ya, Akkiko? ^^)
 
Yes, it was two years ago Saturday that we met. She tried to drown me. In a swimming pool. At band camp (no, I will not give it a rest, Akkiko)
 
Anyways, hope you enjoy the chapter—I already have the next one planned out, it's just a case of writing it out. Unfortunately, if I don't work on Okaeri Nasai (one of my Inu-yasha fics), Lily-chan will me ^^;;
 
Later days! :runs off to type chapters:
 
---
 
“Is everything ready?”
 
Police Inspector Saehara turned to see Commander Satoshi Hiwatari scrutinizing him and held back a sigh.
 
“Yes, sir. All security measures are in place for tonight.” The Inspector looked at his watch. “It's nine fifty-three right now. We should expect Dark in seven minutes.”
 
“Very good,” Satoshi said, looking around the security room. He held back a sigh as well; tonight would probably be yet another victory for Dark. He hated working with incompetents. But there was nothing he could do; his father wouldn't listen to him.
 
“It seems that things are taken care of on the ground level,” Satoshi continued. “I'm going to check upstairs one last time.”
 
“Sir, would you like an officer to accompany you?” Inspector Saehara asked.
 
“That will not be necessary,” Satoshi said. “Just make sure your men stay alert.” And he was gone.
 
Saehara grimaced. Every night. Every single night—that kid would boss him and his officers around. Every single night Dark would come in and somehow—somehow—get by every piece of security, every man, and then disappear with the art piece, which was never seen again.
 
That was one thing that really bothered him. Every stolen piece never appeared on the internet or the black market—what could Dark be doing with them? Storing them in the basement of his house?
Saehara chuckled. That was, of course, absurd.
 
“Inspector!” one of his officers suddenly shouted. Saehara jumped and turned; his eyes landed on a small cylindrical canister that had appeared out of no where and was now rolling along the floor. As it stopped, a small red light flashed on each end of the canister. On, off, on, off, faster and faster—
 
“Get down!” Saehara shouted as a loud beeping began accompanying the flashing light; however, the canister did not explode. The ends popped off, and a barely-visible vapour began permeating around the room.
 
Saehara fell to the floor, as did the rest of his men. As he slowly slipped out of consciousness, he looked to the monitors on the wall of the room; all over the museum officers were dropping to the ground.
 
“D-Dark?” he whispered as he slipped into darkness. No. . .this wasn't Dark's style. . .at all. . .
 
A figure jumped from the air vent and landed gracefully, striding over to the computer.
 
“You two okay?” she spoke, tapping away at the keys.
 
“Yes, we're fine.” Another female voice spoke into her earpiece. “The canisters worked like a charm—all the guards are unconscious.”
 
“Perfect.” The figure hit a few more keys, and there were several buzzing noises. “There. The lasers and alarms have been deactivated. Hurry and move the guards into the shadows.”
 
Two voices spoke at once into her earpiece. “Roger.”
 
---
 
Dark descended, gracefully touching down on the roof of the Hakashito Museum. He looked around; there had been no reporters outside, or guards. He was so used to his break-ins being public—oh well.
 
He bent down to peer at a skylight that opened into the lobby of the museum. He grinned; it was so easy to overlook a measly skylight, and he knew that it wouldn't have an alarm on it.
 
As Dark strode down the long, dark corridors of the museum, he felt his grin fade. No alarms, no wires, no lasers, no guards. . .it was beginning to freak him out, how easy it all was. As he entered the room where the Vial of Venus was being kept, Dark stopped.
 
This isn't right, he thought. It's so obviously a trap. . .I should expect Krad or Satoshi to jump out any minute.
 
Despite his better judgement, Dark continued into the room; he went up to the stand that had the Vial of Venus on it—and grabbed thin air. “What the—”
 
“Good evening.” Dark turned and saw Satoshi leaning against a wall. He had just arrived. “So, Dark. . .I see you've already taken the vial.”
 
He doesn't have it? Then who. . . “Well, obviously,” Dark said, smirking. “Who else would have stolen it?”
 
“Indeed.” Satoshi pushed himself off the wall and began walking towards him. “And I can see you've already shut down the security systems and incapacitated the guards . . . impressive.”
 
Dark felt alarm bells going off in his head. He's not kidding. The security was all here, but someone got here before me and turned it all off . . . who?!
 
“Almost too impressive,” Satoshi continued. “Even for the great Phantom Thief Dark. Are you sure you have the vial?”
 
Dark gritted his teeth. “Of course I have it!”
 
Laughter came from a far way off. “Funny you should say you have it,” a mocking voice rang out, “when it appears the treasure is in my hands.”
 
Satoshi and Dark both turned to look above the stand where the vial was supposed to be; out of the shadows came a figure.
 
She appeared to be about eighteen years old, same as Dark or Krad, and she had long black hair with silver streaks. Blue eyes shot with silver sparkled with mirth as she studied the two below her; she was clad all in black, with a black mask covering half of her face, and from her back sprouted bat-like wings. In her hand was a small vial that sparkled in the moonlight.
 
“Who the hell are you?” Dark snapped; he was so pissed off at someone getting the art piece before him that he didn't even attempt to be gallant.
 
“Call me Akkiko,” said the woman. “The demonchild. And your new competition, Phantom Thief Dark.”
 
Dark glared. “What do you mean competition? This is serious business. . .it's nothing a little girl like you should be playing at.”
 
A vein twitched in Akkiko's temple. “Watch it. Just remember, I'm the one who got to this thing before you.” She flicked at the Vial of Venus. “Now then—” She slipped back into the shadows. “Catch me if you can.”
 
A form shot out and raced down the hall to Dark's right. He sighed in irritation and raced after the form.
 
Satoshi was left to stare after him. Dark, you truly are foolish, he thought. You don't even know it that is the one with the art piece.
 
He heard a thump and turned just in time to see another form racing down another hallway. He followed it; obviously this Akkiko had brought a decoy to throw off Dark.
 
As the main hall of the museum emptied, and the footsteps of Satoshi trailed off, a third form emerged from the shadows and settled down on the stand meant for the Vial of Venus.
 
“Well,” Akkiko said, laughing. “That went better than I thought it would.” She reached into a pouch on the belt around her waist, and drew out a false diamond vial. Placing it on the stand, she flew up to the skylight and opened it. Jumping onto the roof, Akkiko took off into the air, murmuring, “Too easy.”
 
---
 
Dark ran after the person he thought was Akkiko; it occurred to him after he left the room that it might not be, but ignored that little voice (which was Daisuke, of course) and continued after the figure, who ran up and down the corridors of the museum, trying to lose him. Dark, however, was not that easily shaken.
 
He followed the figure into a windowless room; there was only one way in or out. Dark felt his chances increase as he approached the figure, who hadn't turned to face him.
 
“Yo,” Dark said, less than five feet away. “By any chance, would you have—”
 
Before he could finish, the figure back-stepped several paces before crouching down and launching herself into the air. Flipping over Dark, she landed gracefully, and cart-wheeled until she stood in the doorway of the room, poised to continue running.
 
But she lingered for several seconds, teasing the Phantom thief, who could see the Vial shine from her hand.
 
So much for being nice to girls, Dark thought. “Who the hell are you?” he asked for a second time that evening. He thought of Akkiko, with her bat-wings; at least this one looked human. “Give me the Vial of Venus now.”
 
The female turned to him, silver eyes shot with gold sparkling with humour. Reddish hair streaked with gold tumbled down her back, and she was dressed in black, with a mask that covered the bottom part of her face.
 
“My name's Kitsune, the sorceress. And maybe this is the real Diamond Vial of Venus. But then, maybe it's not.” She made a gesture and the vial fell to the floor and shattered. “Oops. . .”
 
Dark glared. “Is that all you can say?” he shouted. “How dare you just destroy it like that?!”
 
Kitsune's eyes widened. “You really are gullible, you know?” she said, all humour gone from her voice and eyes. “Do you really think diamond would break that easily? That vial wasn't the real thing. Maybe Akkiko still has it. Or Tenshi. . .”
 
“Tenshi?” Dark was really starting to get pissed off. “There're three of you?”
 
“Maybe. Later.” Kitsune sped off, tapestries fluttering in the sudden breeze. Dark gritted his teeth and hurried after her.
 
I don't know what the hell's going on, he thought. But if I stay on this one I might just be able to retrieve the vial after all.
 
That was what he thought as he continued after Kitsune. He thought he passed Satoshi, but paid him no heed. If the kid wanted to chase him, that was his business.
 
---
 
Satoshi stopped as two forms zipped past him. One just happened to be Dark, the first indistinguishable. He sighed and figured he had better follow Dark. That was what he was supposed to be doing, after all.
 
He began racing down another hallway (the museum truly was like a maze) and finally stopped when he heard something from a separate room. Keeping his guard up, Satoshi glanced in; he saw a pair of black wings belonging to someone who was panting heavily.
 
Something was wrong; Dark didn't tire that easily. But maybe these new thieves were in a different class; maybe they were good enough to make even the Phantom Thief tired. Either way, Satoshi knew he had to take a chance.
 
That was what he thought when he went up the pair of wings, grabbed one, and pulled back hard. As the person fell to the floor, Satoshi threw himself on top of him, and pinned his hands above his head, just as he had when he and Dark had first met.
 
“Dark—” he began as he forced the person down, but stopped when `Dark' let loose an “Oww!” in a very feminine voice.
 
Satoshi found himself staring down at a girl. Her black wings were spread out beneath her, and long silver hair pooled over them and over her face. Green eyes shot with silver stared up at Satoshi, surprised. She was dressed all in black, just like Akkiko, with a mask that went across her eyes.
 
“Uh. . .” she started, blushing. “Could you get off of me?”
 
“Who are you?” Satoshi asked. “What are you doing here?”
 
“I'm Tenshi, the dark angel. And why I'm here is none of your business.”
 
And then she brought her knee up. . .which connected in a very uncomfortable place. Satoshi keeled over, gasping. Tenshi straightened and looked at him apologetically.
 
“I'm sorry,” she said, like she meant it. “But I can't have you capturing me my first night in town. It just wouldn't look good.” She stood and began to walk away. “Oh, yeah, could you please replace this where it's supposed to go?” Satoshi looked up and saw Tenshi place the Diamond Vial of Venus on a table. “We weren't really going to steal it. This was just a test to see how good Dark is. I'll have to meet up with Akkiko and Kitsune to see if he passed the test. In the meantime, I would be grateful if you put this back.
 
“Until next we meet.”
 
And with that, Tenshi spread her wings and in a whirl of wind, was gone.
 
---
 
Meanwhile, Dark was still chasing after Kitsune. Once or twice he thought he had lost her, but then she would laugh from the shadows behind him and they would be off again.
 
Swearing, Dark continued following her. He finally stopped in a circular room, hallways branching off in several directions. He spotted Kitsune sitting on top of a statue.
 
“Aww,” she said. “Getting tired, Phantom Thief Dark?”
 
“Naw,” Dark answered, pushing back his sweaty hair. “Not even winded.”
 
“You know, this whole chase scene is starting to bore me.”
 
“I was just thinking the same thing.” He smiled winningly. “Why don't you call your friends and we'll have a little chat? I'm sure this can all get sorted out.”
 
Kitsune laughed. “Not a chance, Dark-chan.” She unclipped a small vial attached to her earring and threw in into the air. It exploded in mid-air, and Dark shielded himself against the sudden flurry of smoke and sparkles that smelt of flowers.
 
“Until next we meet.”
 
Dark coughed as the smoke cleared; Kitsune was gone.
 
---
 
In a side alley across the street from the museum, Akkiko waited expectantly. She smiled as Kitsune dropped down from above her.
 
“So, what did you think of Phantom Thief Dark?” she asked.
 
“Slow,” Kitsune laughed. “Or maybe he was just flirting with me; he has the look of a womanizer.”
 
“With that face, it doesn't surprise me.” Akkiko removed her mask, blushing a little. Kitsune's face split into a grin as she, too, removed her mask.
 
“You have a crush on him!”
 
“I do not—”
 
“Hello, ladies.” Kitsune and Akkiko looked up as Tenshi dropped down. Folding her wings, the dark angel removed her mask, sighing.
 
“So, where's the Vial?” Akkiko asked eagerly, glad that the subject had moved off of her. “I already placed the false one; they won't realize until weeks from now.”
 
“And I. . .er. . .broke my false vial, just to confuse Dark.” Kitsune cocked her head. “He was really angry when I did it though. . .he must have an antique art fetish or something.”
 
Akkiko rolled her eyes. “Art is treasure in more ways than one,” she said. “So anyways, where is it?”
 
“Well. . .” Tenshi avoided her friends' eyes, curling a piece of hair on her finger. “I . . . don't have it.”
 
“WHAT??” Kitsune and Akkiko slapped their hands to their mouths and glared at Tenshi. “Why not? What happened?”
 
“I. . .ran into someone who. . . .I mean. . . .I gave it back okay?” Tenshi blushed with embarrassment. “Look, it wasn't even going to be a regular target—we don't need it, so what's the problem?”
 
“You ran into someone. . . .” Akkiko blinked. “You mean that Satoshi guy?”
 
“Guys, maybe we better go somewhere else to discuss this.” Kitsune nodded at the two of them. “Let's go.”
 
Akkiko and Tenshi nodded; the three of them stood in a circle, and raised one of their hands. On each girl's hand was a ring; the ring itself was made of three silver bands, linked together. The rings began to glow, and the glow spread until it consumed the demon, the dark angel and the sorceress. Their forms shimmered and shrank, until it appeared that there were three high school girls in the alley instead of three supernatural art thieves.
 
Ginryu Uujou, code name Akkiko, shot a glare at her friend. “Start talking.”
 
Korazuma Shido, code name Tenshi, furrowed her eyebrows. “I just decided to hand it off to Satoshi so he could put the vial back, okay?”
 
Aiko Tatari, code name Kitsune, patted Ginryu's shoulder. “Don't worry about; our little Kora-chan's just got a crush on Satoshi-kun, and she let it spread to her alter-ego.”
 
Korazuma went red; so did Ginryu. “You have a crush on that guy?” she spluttered. “Don't you realize he's a cop?”
 
“Oh, let it go, Gin-chan,” Aiko commented. “After all, you can't really talk.”
 
“What's that supposed to mean?”
 
“Oh please; Dark really insulted you back there, calling you a little girl and saying you don't belong in the art thief business—you let it slide. If anyone else had said it, you totally would have kicked his ass.”
 
Korazuma hid a smile. “She's right, you know.”
 
Ginryu crossed her arms. “Whatever. Let's get home.”
 
Korazuma and Aiko smiled at each other; they linked arms with Ginryu as all three exited the alleyway.
 
“You know you love us, Gin-chan.”
 
“Tolerate. I tolerate you.”
 
---
 
Satoshi made his way back into the main hall where the Diamond Vial of Venus was supposed to go. As he walked up to the stand, he blinked in surprise. There was a vial already there. Picking it up, he studied it carefully.
 
Even it the weak light, his trained eyes could tell it was a fake. Satoshi dropped it to the floor, watching it shatter. Obviously Akkiko or this Kitsune whom he hadn't seen yet had placed it here. Then Tenshi had given him the real one.
 
Why would one girl put a fake vial here when another one gave me the real vial? he thought as he placed the Vial of Venus on the display stand. Why, if she is part of a group, would she make such a decision on her own?
 
He didn't get it. As Satoshi turned and began to walk away from the stand, something zipped from the shadows behind him and jumped over the stand. Spinning around, Satoshi saw the vial was gone, and Dark was landing gracefully, his wings already out.
 
“Really, Satoshi,” he said, amused. “Dropping your guard that easily? For shame.”
 
Leaping into the air, Dark burst through the already-open skylight and was gone.
 
Satoshi watched the Phantom Thief fade from sight, and sighed. Another failure for him. But then again, he had three more things to worry about.
 
Pulling out his cell, Satoshi called an ambulance. Whatever the guards had breathed in, they were still knocked out all over the museum.
 
---
 
Dark landed on a building several blocks away from the museum. He sat down, looking at the Vial of Venus.
 
He took a deep breath in, thinking back to what had happened in the museum. He had been about to grab the Vial when Satoshi had come in; but that Vial had been a fake, just like the one Kitsune had teased him with.
 
“Why would they have done all this, just to return the real Vial?” he said aloud.
 
`Maybe they just wanted to make a splash,' Daisuke said inside his head. `They just wanted to let you know they were here—like they said, they're your competition.'
 
“Yeah, which means they're going to be a real thorn in my side,” Dark grumbled as he leapt into an alley. “As if we didn't have enough to deal with.”
 
`Aw, it'll be okay.' Daisuke, ever cheerful. `After all, you're Phantom Thief Dark.'
 
Dark snorted, smiling despite himself. “True, true. . .”
 
:Even so,: he thought as he and Daisuke switched places. :I'm worried. Where did these three come from? Will they go after my other targets?:
 
“Who knows,” Daisuke said, beginning to run home. “Maybe we'll find out tomorrow.”
 
:Yeah,: Dark said, stretching within Daisuke's mind. :Tomorrow. I'll worry about it tomorrow.:
 
---
 
There's chapter two! Hope you enjoyed it—don't forget to review!
 
Disclaimer—I do not own D.N.Angel or any of its characters and/or settings. I do own any made-up settings, and the OC characters.