Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ End is just the Beginning ❯ Cake ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Cake
 
 
He's definitely not suffering from Ageusia. It's just that every food his tongue had touched loses its sweetness.
 
 
For the last two hours since he began his break, L had already consumed two plates of tarts, seven boxes of Oreo, seventeen chocolate bars with varied flavors, five packs of M&M's, three ripe bananas, a juicy melon and fourteen slices of cake. He's simply amazing. L can bring home a gold trophy from an eating competition if he just tried. Unfortunately, the predicament he's dealing with is not a facile eating contest but an abstruse competition between his main priorities and personal desires. He's starting to get annoyed. Why can't he find the satisfaction he craves for? Then a gentle vibration emanated somewhere inside his pocket. He pulled his cell phone out and looked at the glowing screen. The time read five o'clock in the morning and it means that he needs to return to work. However an image of a purple haired lady crossed his thoughts and L felt stressed once more. Thus he decided to have one last piece of cake before he resumes with his search for the hidden file. L immediately hopped of the counter and made his way to the door to get a new cake. He pulled the doorknob towards him and was about to take a step when he saw Feuille with arm raised and fist closed as if she was going to make a knock.
 
 
“Oh,” they both said.
 
 
L unconsciously scratched his feet. Is she going to plead again for her freedom? Hopefully not. L doesn't want to act tough anymore when deep inside he's hurt. As cold as before he said, “How can I help you Miss Myers?”
 
 
“I wish to talk to you.”
 
 
“If this is regarding your petition to go home, I'm informing you this early you're just wasting your effort—“
 
 
“I plan to stay with you L,” said Feuille abruptly.
 
 
L impassively stared at her, not saying anything. He was surprised that Feuille had suddenly become cooperative and even called him by his name.
 
 
“I said I'll stay.” Feuille repeated incase L didn't heard her.
 
 
“I'm more than happy to know that you decided to collaborate with me. I really appreciate it.” But L's voice isn't as enthusiastic as he claims to be. He predicts that Feuille has a concealed agenda for her alteration of choice. “Is there anything more?”
 
 
“Yes. I want matters to be settled between us.” Feuille responded in a rather firm way. Sure, she had uncertainties with Watari's dubious revelations. But the idea that she wasn't just a co-worker for L had motivated her to ask a request one dare not say to his captor. “Mind if I come in?”
 
L indolently ushered her to his large room. He motioned the girl to accommodate the chair near the computer set while he took a seat in his bed, legs pulled to his chest. “Care to explicate what you have in mind Miss Myers?” L asked.
 
 
“You mentioned earlier that I'm needed in solving a genocide case you're working on. I really have no clue on how a student like me could provide you assistance. Nonetheless, I'll work diligently and do everything I can to get to the bottom of it.” Feuille explained.
 
 
“I see.” L nibbled his thumb, “The reason why I demanded your aid on the case is that I know your premises are useful.” He said. “If what you assume can be considered correct, then the span of the investigation might be abridged and finding a suspect will be easier. And according to records you already figured out the murderer behind this, but your files were erased…or rather, destroyed.” Gravity was present in his tone.
 
 
Feuille nodded and recalled the topic, “But I think we should have an agreement. You have to let me go back to my world once we're done.”
 
 
Over eight hundred thousand words consists the English language. The eyes however speak a more precise code through its narrowing, brow arches, dilations, blinking or the asymmetrical closure. Feuille had been observing L's round orbs from the time they started their conversation. His glossy hair fell into his eyes but it didn't hindered Feuille to notice the presence of dismay on it. She feels happy that the great L wants her company. Still, she has friends and family probably worrying about her sudden disappearance. Furthermore, Feuille prefers her life as a regular teen studying in a university. It was perfect and she has nothing to complain about. Truth to be told, she admires L a lot but she's certain there's no love involved. She wants to return home, it's final and nobody can stop her.
 
 
“Then it's a deal, “L lazily offered his hand to Feuille for a shake. She smiled and extended her hand and received a firm grip from the detective. “It's an honor to work with you L.”
 
 
“No the privilege is mine.” He released her hands, “It's great to have in my team one of the finest CIA Agent around.”
 
 
“I hope I'll be able to meet you're expectations, sir.” Feuille smiled.
 
 
“Drop the formalities Miss Myers and stick to the old tradition. My legal name is L but please do address me as Ryuuzaki for safety reasons. Did I make myself clear?”
 
 
“Of course, Ryuuzaki.” Feuille was relieved that her attempt to convince L worked the way she wanted. She was so excited; she wants to begin straight away. “Maybe we should get started. How about discussing to me all the facts you have gathered so far?”
 
 
“No.” he bluntly replied. “There is something we need to do first. Now that you agreed to work for me, I will have to order you to live with me until this case is closed. “What?” Feuille responded with hesitation. “So you'll need clothes and other necessities, correct?” the detective eyed her inquisitively.
 
 
“Uh yeah,” she nodded.
 
 
“Then to the mall we go,” L announced. The quite astonished lady suggested, “We can just go to my old house, the one I used to live at, to get the things I needed.”
 
 
“I regret to inform you, but they're already gone. According to your last will and testament, all of them will be put up for auction and the money raised will be given to Wammy's House. Apparently you were gone for twelve months and three weeks. People then made conclusions that either you were lost or dead”, L stated with a matter-of-a-fact tone.
 
 
“All of them?” she asked with raised eyebrows. “How about my house? My bank accounts and other properties? Did I even have such?”
 
 
“Yes you did. However, just like I said, they're all gone—except for your bank account. You transferred it to me.”
 
 
Feuille was confused. Why would I transfer it all to you? Was the old me really that charitable? Now I don't even have a single penny.”
 
 
The detective continued, “…but you don't need to worry.”
 
 
Is he going to return my bank account? she thought.
 
 
L carried on. “I'm going to pay for all of your concerns, both needs and wants.”
 
 
Of course you have to pay for everything, silly, you have my money after all. She said to herself with disappointment, yet she uttered, “Oh I see. Thank you.”
 
 
 
-o0oo000oo0o-
 
 
“We will meet here in two and a half hours,” the raven-haired detective informed Feuille. “Watari will accompany and help you in carrying the merchandise you will buy.” It was already ten in the morning, almost five hours since the two conversed about their agreement. They are currently having early lunch at a fine dining restaurant inside the mall, yet the purple head is quite annoyed with the folks staying at the table adjacent to them.
 
 
They are teens, perhaps a year older than she is. They are giggling and squealing about the guy perpendicular to her who was apparently bloating himself with a green colored ice cream. She can hear their voices saying, “Isn't he so cute?” and “Yeah. He looks so cool.” She was taken aback though when she heard “Don't be so loud, you two. His girlfriend might hear us.” Instinctively, Feuille gave them a cold stare. That's when the girls decided to leave the place in fear of her. One of them scolded, “See! I told you his girlfriend heard us.”
 
 
“Hmmph… unsophisticated ladies.” she mumbled, quite irritated that they didn't understand what she was trying to point out. After that, she lazily placed her chin on her palm with her elbow on the table. She asked L, “You're not going with us?”
 
 
“I'm sorry. I also have something to do.” L replied not being aware of what just happened. With that the three of them left the place.
 
 
During the whole time Feuille was shopping, all she ever talked about with Watari was concerning his opinion with the clothes she was choosing. The old man will happily reply, “Yes, it looks very fine.” The only thing she asked that was out of place was,” What is Ryuuzaki's favorite color?” Watari replied, “Nothing in particular though he prefers white above anything else.”
 
 
Sure… that's a color, she thought with sarcasm. “I see. I think I want to go there,” she said pointing to the shoe department and the old man willingly nodded.
 
 
Moments passed and it's already eleven forty-seven. Still there was no sign of Feuille or Watari near the restaurant. L began to consider the high probability that Feuille might have tricked Watari and decided to run off. She perhaps went to the police station and claimed she was kidnapped. She could be identified and this will alert their enemies that the agent who have headed the genocide case investigation before is indeed alive. L knew his responsibility to protect the young lady at all cost but how will he do that if she's so snobbish and doesn't follow his orders most of the time. Sooner or later she'll get herself to trouble hence L had to do something about it. He should get her entire trust one way or another.
 
 
“Sorry we're late.” Feuille uttered, interrupting his thoughts.
 
 
“No big deal.” He said standing up feeling relieved that none of his hypotheses came to reality. “You provided me some extra moments to think.” He took the paper bags she was holding and nodded when she said, “Thank you.”
 
 
-ooo000ooo-
 
 
For the first time, Feuille doesn't want her school uniform to be washed.
 
 
She was done arranging her newly bought clothes and now she had her uniform laid upon the bed so she can stare at it. Feuille likes to see every pasta sauce stain in her skirt and she likes to smell the sweet fragrance of her perfume which was a valentine gift from her crush in the campus. Feuille carefully placed her uniform inside a plastic bag. Pathetic but she wants to preserve it the way it is. Her gray-checkered skirt, white blouse, blue bow and black long-sleeved vest are the only remembrance she has of her student life. Then the thought of death came to her like a lightning. With her new goals at hand, she's bounded to all kinds of danger. Dying is inevitable.
 
 
“My goodness! What have I done?” Her heart skipped a beat. She was thinking now about the decision she had made. “Was it wrong to have an accord with L? Should I…”
 
 
Then she saw a black paper bag beside her and recalled that she was supposed to do something. Feuille immediately went to the living room where L was busy typing something on his laptop.
 
 
“Is there something you need Miss Myers?” L asked as he turned the mechanical chair to where Feuille was standing.
 
 
“Well I think…I need a friend, “she replied timidly. “I want you to have this.” Feuille handed the detective the bag she was holding. Still astonished, L took it and carefully examined its contents. “A friendship present. I was about to give it to you a while ago but you were too preoccupied with work. But in case it doesn't suit your taste you can—“
 
 
“I like it. Thank you, “he abruptly said to Feuille. It was a white polo with matching black long sleeve shirt.”
 
 
She smiled in response, “Think I'll be going now.” She turned around to head towards her room but felt a gentle grip on her wrist.
 
 
“Wait.”
 
 
Suddenly the detective wrapped his arms around her and Feuille fell forwards against him. This is the main reason why L had detested human emotions in the first place. It dulls rational thinking and control. However, he waited so long to hug her. He can still remember how nervous he can be when he was being touched without his consent. He also remembered how this lady had thought him how good it feels to be secured in one's arms, how good it felt to be loved. And in that moment, all the things he had meticulously planned, all the things he needs to accomplish and all the things that were important didn't matter. All that mattered was being with the lady he had never seen for a long time, feeling that connection again, and knowing that he was no longer alone.
 
 
To his surprise, Feuille hugged him back. “Guess we're friends now,” she said.
 
 
Being near someone allows you to be aware of things that are not easily recognized. The first thing Feuille noticed was how sweet he smelled. She can't figure out though if its perfume, shampoo or if he it's just his natural fragrance. The aroma gave Feuille a serene feeling that made her close her eyes. She also observed that he was on the slender side; he is very tall compared to her and also well-built, probably from playing tennis. Her arms started to loosen, but he held onto her that made them look at each other while their hands lingered around the other.
 
 
“I apologize…I don't know what I was doing,” he admitted.
 
 
She smiled innocently at him. “You like to play a game?”
 
When L heard the word game, the first thing that crossed his mind was chess, then tennis, then scrabble, then crossword puzzle, then sudoku, etc. So he was surprised when the girl with gleaming eyes asked him, “You know the rock-paper-scissors game, right?”
 
 
“Yes. It's quite self-explanatory.”, he replied whilst giving her a skeptical look.
 
 
Feuille continued, “But this time it will be different. Every time you lose, you have to answer a question truthfully that would be thrown by the other player. Final score would be up to five and the loser will have to face the corresponding consequence.”
 
 
“You know that I won't be defeated right?” he taunted. It was quite an audacious move in her judgment.
 
 
“We'll see about that,” she answered with equal confidence.
 
 
She didn't plan on any of this, but she came up with a conjecture. What if L is trying to hide the facts from me so the case won't be solved? She'll have no other option but to stay for good…Or L was just being considerate that he prioritizes her necessities first, yet in either instance, she preferred to solve the mystery as soon as possible.
 
 
L then released his grip on the lady before him then the game started. The detective gestured a scissor sign while Feuille brought down a rock sign. “Rock… I won. Okay, first question. How do you view the intentions behind the abductions and murders?”
 
 
“Hmm, hold that question.” Ryuuzaki quickly went outside and, after a few seconds, came back with a plate of chocolate fudge cake. He placed it on a small table and ushered the girl to sit beside him. He gave one fork to Feuille and sliced a small piece of the sweet, which immediately entered his mouth. “Abductions were made in rural areas in different parts of the globe. I assume that they prefer performing the crime in undisclosed locations so that they won't draw too much attention. People went missing without a certain pattern. They were all…just gone, so I thought that they were kidnapped to increase manpower. Possibly a preparation for world domination,” he pointed out.
 
 
“World domination, you say. How about the women and the children? What happened to them?” she asked with eyes widened with shock.
 
 
“That's two questions in a row…scissors! My turn.” he snapped back. “So how are things going in your world? You satisfied with it?”
 
 
“That's also two questions in a row,” she said. “Anyway, I can say that I'm really much contented with my present state as a student. Although I wasn't raised in a family, the nuns who took care of me were really kind. They allowed me to be educated in an elite school without having me pay for it. I am also surrounded with great people. I have my clever best friend Miley, my hilarious yet bright classmates, and other people who care for me. Basically, I'm satisfied,” she replied with emphasis on the satisfied part. “Paper! My turn…what happened to the women and the kids?” she inquired while helping herself to some cake that was on the table.
 
 
“There was a video tape that you were able to acquire. It's like a video from a surveillance camera. It contains footage showing the location of where people were being slain, mostly men and women in their forties and above. However there were a few children who were spared, but who knows what happened to them.” Ryuuzaki narrated while his thumb pressed his lower lip whilst in thought.
 
 
“Paper! My turn again!” Feuille said mockingly.
 
 
“If these events occurred in different parts of the world, then I presume we're dealing with something big…but with only the two of us, this can be tedious work.” Feuille said through a mouthful of cake.
 
 
“We have support from the CIA, FBI, and my investigative team, which includes Yagami Light. If you recover your documents, we'll regain full support from the ICPO,” he said.
 
 
“Oh, by the way, how is Yagami Light…is he still alive? You see in Death Note both of you died, and I was really fascinated with the twist that was presented in the story, and...” she paused, “Sorry. I really don't know when to stop.”
 
 
L grinned to himself. It appears that Feuille is beginning to adjust more quickly than expected to her new environment. He then replied, “You really don't abide by your own rules, do you? You worked with Light during the Kira case and with Misa as well. He's still living with his family and is currently finishing his collegiate studies before working in the NPA. Rock…my turn.”
 
 
He hesitated before inquiring. “Can you recall anything… about your past?”
 
 
Feuille looked down and shook her head. “None… nothing at all.”
 
 
“Scissors…I won again,” he said casually, quite disappointed that all the memories of the times they've been together were just easily blown away by the wind. To shift his thoughts, he asked, “So do you have an idea where you placed your back-up files on any of your investigations?”
 
 
“None, as of the moment. I told you, I couldn't remember anything. But if I were going to hide something that's very important, I would probably conceal it somewhere obvious. A place where a there's a lot of people but nobody notices it.” She replied while wiping the sides of her lips.
 
 
“Paper…my turn again.” The detective smirked teasingly. Feuille suddenly felt quite alarmed, knowing that L is one point ahead of her. “Why would you place something significant in those places?” he asked. Then, seeing that there was only one little piece of cake left. He scooped it onto his fork but handed it out to Feuille, telling her that she could take the fork. However, she opened her mouth and ate the last piece off his fork.
 
 
“It's really illogical to hide your important documents there. Even commonplace culprits would think the same way, so they won't bother searching those places. But, of course, I won't let my things be that vulnerable. I could have transcribed it with a password or transcribed it to a language only I know.”
 
 
As expected, L thought, a grin forming on his lips. “Wait,” Feuille said leaning forward to wipe a bit of icing left in L's mouth. His lips curled into a timid smirk implying that he appreciated that small act of affection.
 
 
“Scissors… finally my turn.” Feuille said, feeling relieved. “How come Light is still studying? He should be twenty three by now according to-” L cut her off. “Don't rely too much on the manga, anime or movies that you've read and seen. It's due to Jastin's stubbornness that some little details were changed. He said it'd attract a bigger audience if he altered some bits of information. Do not be anxious though. No major events were altered. In inference, Tsugumi Ohba is Jastin in disguise.”
 
 
 
“You're friends with Light already? And for real?”
 
 
“That would be another violation,” L reminded the girl.
 
 
“You didn't allow me to finish my question sir,” she opposed.
 
 
The detective sighed at Feuille's tenacity and replied, “Yeah, I believe so. We're on good terms now, albeit we still bicker at each other whenever we have differing opinions. We're actually more childish than I imagined.”
 
 
Then the game continued. “Scissors!” they said at the same time.
 
 
“Paper!”
 
 
“Rock!”
 
 
“Paper!” they both shouted. L is smiling while Feuille is giggling due to the fact that they have similar thoughts on what signs to bring down.
 
 
“Rock!” the raven-haired guy said with delight in his words at his attained triumph. Feuille, knowing well her defeat shouted, “Thunder!”
 
 
“There's no such thing as thunder in this game Miss Myers,” he coldly said while taunting her.
 
 
“I don't abide by the rules, right?” She firmly said pretending to be mad. She stuck out her tongue and admitted, “Okay Ryuuzaki, you won. But only this time.”
 
 
“I always win in the end,” he replied in a for-your-information tone.
 
 
“You think so? How about in…” With that, she leaped over him in a split-second, causing the two of them to fall on the bed where she was on top, pinning the surprised detective down. “…flirting?” she whispered to L's ear while flashing an evil grin.
 
 
He felt his heartbeat quicken, knowing that they are in an awkward position. He can feel the strands of Feuille's hair brush his pale cheeks, since their faces are just inches apart. Her firm grip on his shoulders is sending chills down his spine. He was startled for a moment, but was able to say, “So you're challenging me again.”
 
 
“Yes,” she said with a laugh. In response, L swiftly placed his hands on the purple-haired maiden's waist and gently rolled her over. His hands fastened Feuille's wrists against the bed.
 
 
“So what should we do next?” L inquired in mock innocence. Suddenly the attention of the two was caught by an old man who just entered the room.
 
 
“Downloading is finished, Ryuuzaki. The files you needed are al—“ Watari stopped, as his eyes widened after seeing the two in bed. He coughed twice and proceeded, “Forgive me for the interruption. Please continue with whatever you're doing. I'll leave you two now.”
 
 
L waited for the sound of the door closing before turning back his gaze to the girl. Feuille started laughing incessantly, and teased the guy on top of her. “Pervert!” He then released his grip on her wrist and moved his body away from the lady. “Please don't take it seriously, I was just playing around. I didn't mean any harm,” L apologized.
 
 
“Huh, I knew you wouldn't do it. Just try and you'll find yourself decapitated.” Feuille said, still laughing at the thought of Watari's reaction. “You should rest now, Ryuuzaki. I'll start searching for my backup files tomorrow morning. Okay? See you later.”
 
 
“Wait”, he called as he gently nibbled his thumb. “I think there's something we forgot.”
 
 
Feuille blinked twice. “Yeah, my consequence.”
 
 
“Exactly,” L pointed out. He quickly took a black velvet box out of his pocket. The girl is just staring, looking completely clueless at him. He opened it in front of Feuille. It was a lovely silver necklace. Did he plan for all of this? she said to herself. It was a silver leaf pendant, which was outlined with beaming emerald gems. The detective went to the girl's back and carefully placed it on her neck. “Please wear this all the time”, he uttered.
 
 
“Oh I will, thank you. You shouldn't have,” she said in amusement as she turned around to see the detective. She is staring at the pendant in her palm. “It's my first time to be really bonded to a person I just met. I don't understand why I feel so comfortable around you, Ryuuzaki.” She said with a sincere smile and then bowed her head. “Again, thank you for everything. I really had fun.”
 
 
“No, thank you.” L shyly replied. “Thank you for trusting me.”
 
 
After looking at him for a few seconds, she leaned over and kissed him tenderly on his cheeks. He was caught completely off-guard. It gave him an odd feeling of anxiety. She pulled away, with an obvious blush on her cheeks. “Goodnight. Sleep tight.” She quickly said and left the room.
 
 
Feuille's sweet smile faded off her face. She traced the necklace with her finger and uttered, “Everything is going just as planned. I'm sorry Ryuuzaki, I have to do this.”