Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Two Months ❯ The Meeting ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
A/N: I decided to start a Death Note story, because it’s my favorite Manga and there just aren’t enough fanfics for it out there.

Summary: L, Mello, and Near are given two months to get to know each other more, before L leaves to Japan for the Kira case.

Rated: Not sure about the rating, I mean, there’s no real serious adult supervision required so I guess everyone can read. But there will be spoilers...

Disclaimer: I Do not own Death Note or any of the characters. But praise the geniuses who do, Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata.


Two Months
Chapter 1: The meeting...


“YAY! WE’RE FREEEEE!”

Tiny feet padded on the floor of Wammy’s orphanage as the children were all released from their morning studies.

Watari stood outside of the school room door smiling as all the children ran by greeting him, some even stopped to give the old man a tender hug before running off

to play outside.

None seemed to notice or either didn’t care to notice the tall rugged looking boy that stood behind him. The boy looked to be in his mid-teens and his height was a

little undetermined due to the deep hunch in his stance.

By the looks of him you would think that he hadn’t slept in days. Dark colored hair sat unkept upon his head, dark rings circled his wide round eyes, and he wore casual baggy clothes which consisted of long blue jeans and a long sleeved white shirt that looked to be covered in different colored stains, possibly from earlier
foods he had eaten.

He continued to stand behind Watari with his hands stuck in his pocket as he watched the last few children scurry off from their studies.

Watari smiled as he motioned for the boy to follow him into the room where just two remaining children sat inside.

The younger of the two laid sprawled out across the carpeting. His white hair hung covering his amusement filled eyes as he crashed two robot toys together making both of their heads pop off.

“Boom...” He said as he casually tossed the smaller of the two robots across the room into a building made of legos, smiling as the building toppled over leaving a colorful mess covering the floor.

The other missing orphan sat alone at a table placed on the far end of the room. His chair stood on its hind legs while his head rested against the light green wall.
Short legs were balanced on top of the small table while one arm laid draped across the back of his chair. His other arm rested on its elbow against the window sill and his hand held onto a half wrapped chocolate bar that hung from his mouth.

His eyes boredly stared out the window into the play yard where he watched a group of kids climb onto the large jungle gym.

Watari politely cleared his throat drawing all attention to him.

“Hello, how have you two been, Near?...Mello?”

Near, not taking his attention away from his decapitated robot, nodded his head in acknowledgment of Watari.

Mello on the other hand stood to his feet, the look of anger apparent on his face.

“What took you so long, I could be outside by now you know?”

The unnoticed boy that stood behind Watari, stuck his thumb nail into his mouth as he stared curiously at the short tempered young blonde.

“Now Now Mello, there is no need to be upset. I just wanted to introduce you two to someone who will be very important in choosing which of you will become L’s successor.”

Mello now stood in front of Watari with the same angry look on his face. His arms were crossed as a piece of uneaten chocolate sat clenched between his teeth.

“And exactly who is that?”

Watari stepped to the side allowing Mello and Near to get a good view of the boy that stood behind him.
That said boy lightly stood to his full height as he stuck both of his hands into his pocket.

“I am L.”

The piece of chocolate dropped from Mello’s mouth as he stared up at the supposed L.
Near on the other hand, popped the head back on to his robot and stood to his feet. He walked pass Mello and up to L stretching out his small hand.

“The names Near! Pleased to Meet’cha!”

L studied the young boy for a second before grabbing his hand and smiling thoughtfully.

“Thanks, it’s nice to meet you too.”

Mello however, was not convinced. He recovered from his sudden shock and pushed passed little Near.
The blonde circled L a few times, inspecting the teen, even lifting up the boys shirt and looking at his back.

L stood still, but looked towards Watari in confusion.

“Watari-kun, please make Mello-chan stop.”

The old man cleared his throat and took a step forward.

“Why yes... Mello it is very rude to invade L’s personal space.”

“I don’t know, are you sure he’s L? I expected someone a bit more heroic looking, you know like Super Man or Captain Planet. He just looks like some over worked highschool kid. I’ve seen him around the orphanage plenty of times and he never seemed that important. How can I be convinced that he’s L?”

Watari gently grabbed Mello who was now on the verge of looking down the back of L’s pants.

Near also came to the rescue and grabbed L’s hand pulling him over to the colorful pile of fallen legos.

Mello frowned and was about to stomp over to the two, but was stopped when a gentle hand grasped lightly onto his shoulder.

“Now Mello. I know it’s a shock to have L suddenly reveal himself to you at a time like this, but I assure you that is him.”

“I don’t believe you, I think this is just some trick. That guy must just be working for L and he’s come to observe us...Then he’ll report back to the real deal about which of us will make the better successor...Am I right?”

Watari sighed as he placed both of his hands on the boy’s shoulder and bent down so that he was at eye level with him.

“Look Mello, I understand why you don’t believe that is the real L but he is and I suggest you spend a lot time with him because in about two months, he will be heading off to Japan to work on the Kira case.”

Near who had been recently absorbed in showing L a few finger puppets that he had made of himself, Mello, Watari, and a few other people from around the orphanage, looked at L after hearing what had just been said.

“So you’re going to work on the Kira case, from Japan?”

L stuck his thumb nail into his mouth as he twirled around the small finger puppet of Watari with his other hand.

“Yes, I have reason to believe that Kira is located in Japan.”

Mello walked up to L once again and stared him in the face.

“So, if that’s the case. Then coming from what Watari said, you have just two months to convince me that you’re L. Near maybe fooled easily, but right now I feel that there is only a 5 percent chance that you are the real L.”

L smiled as he placed the finger puppets of Near and Watari on the middle and index fingers located on his right hand.

He placed the finger puppet of Mello on the index finger located on his left hand, staring at it careful. He then looked towards the real Mello who stood with his hands on his hips, still waiting for a response.

“Two months will give us enough time to get to know each other better and hopefully convince you that I am indeed L.”

Watari smiled as he clapped his hands together.

“Perfect, well you three have fun. I’ll be getting back to work now...L you make sure these kids behave...and don’t feed them too many sweets. Mello, Near, I’m expecting a lot from you two.”

With that said, Watari turned on his heel and left the room leaving L and his two successors alone.

Near and Mello watched Watari leave, then turned their attention towards L who looked to be in deep thought, as he continued to stare at the puppets placed on his fingers.

He carefully removed the puppet of Watari from his finger and placed it back with the pile of other finger puppets.

He then looked between the two finger puppets of Mello and Near, as both boys continued to watch him with curiosity. L then nodded his head as if confirming something and looked towards the young boys, smiling happily.

“Let’s go get some cake...”

TBC...

Read and Review Please... !