Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ A Digi-Tale [FFC] ❯ Chapter 3 - revised ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Digi-Tale, Chapter 3

by Time Lady

-----------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon. I'm just borrowing them for the duration of this story.

-----------------------

The time passed torturously slow for Takeru. Sadly the week the earl was away was far too short, and the time until Yamato returned to the palace too long. Takeru's back ached from lashings he received from the earl for minor errors, such as spilling soup on the tablecloth when serving it. Patamon went about his own chores almost nervously. Gazimon's tricks and torments were becoming unbearable to the little Digimon. Two thoughts kept the youths from going mad. First was the secret adventure, where Takeru and Patamon would be Wizardmon's assistants. Second was Takeru's upcoming birthday - and freedom.

Finally the earl, Yamato, Gabumon and Gazimon left for the capital. The staff breathed a sigh of relief. Patamon and Takeru set out for Wizardmon's cottage immediately. Cook and Vargas knew that the two were going to be helping Wizardmon with some sort of project. So long as they returned a week before the earl was due back, neither cared exactly what Takeru and Patamon were doing with Wizardmon.

They were warmly greeted by the old Digimon. Wizardmon allowed the two a day to rest, before beginning their brief training. Aside from the training they expected in dealing with Wizardmon's act, they were also given a crash course on etiquette and behavior. "You will be guests at the palace," explained Wizardmon. "You will be expected to carry yourself in particular ways. I am trying to teach you in three days what you should have been learning your entire life."

Takeru tried to remember what he could from behavior he had witnessed at the manor. It was easier than he thought. Dancing, however, was a little harder. A Floramon friend of Wizardmon's endeavored to teach the youth some basic dance steps. With all of the training, Takeru became nervous with anticipation.

- -

Hikari waited as the royal carriage pulled up in front of the palace entrance. A footman jumped from his position on the back of the carriage and opened the door. A young man with short, blonde hair in a guard's uniform stepped from the carriage. "Who is that?" asked Miyako.

Sir Koushirou stood behind the princess and Lady Miyako with his notes. "My guess would be that this is Wallace, Princess Sora's bodyguard." Another young man with slightly longer golden hair stepped out of the carriage. He was dressed as a nobleman. "This would be Lord Michael, the queen's emissary. He has been in charge of the wedding negotiations." A boy, also dressed in finery followed Lord Michael. "That should be Viscount Iori, the queen's nephew and ward. Viscount Iori's late mother was the queen's younger sister. He has been the princess' companion since his parents died four years ago."

"How awful," said Hikari, her heart going out to the boy. A slender young woman with a familiar face stepped out of the carriage. Lady Jun, Lord Daisuke's sister, had been sent to greet the princess and her party and to lead the official escort. Hikari was surprised, since Lady Jun was rather flighty. The princess honestly thought Lady Jun was something of a flake. But since Lady Jun and Lord Daisuke's father had been the king's companion in their youth, the two were often given important assignments. Suddenly an elegant young woman stepping out of the carriage caught Hikari's attention. Lord Michael helped her step out of the carriage. Prince Taichi rushed forward to take her hand. Hikari had no doubt that this was Princess Sora. He escorted the princess into the palace.

After the princess and her party had a chance to rest and refresh themselves, there would be an official presentation ceremony. Princess Sora would be presented to the king and queen. The betrothal papers would be signed. The wedding date would be set. Then the engagement festivities would begin.

Hikari felt incredibly alone.

----

"I wish we had more time," said Takeru.

"At least you will understand what to expect in my performance," returned Wizardmon. "Now, as to your disguises. . . ." He began to rummage in a large chest. "I know it's here somewhere. . . . no, that's not it. . . . that isn't it either. . . ah, here it is!" Wizardmon pulled out what looked like an orange egg, with little wings

"What is it?" asked Patamon.

"This is a digimental," explained Wizardmon. "It will allow you to digivolve. Digivolved, no one will know you so long as you don't reveal your identity." He handed the Digimental to Takeru. "Say 'Digi armor energize.' The digimental will merge with your digivice."

Takeru glanced at Patamon, who nodded. "Digi armor energize!" said Takeru. A bright glow suffused Patamon. The little Digimon grew, his shape changing. Light flashed. A large, winged horse stood in Patamon's place. The digimental turned into a beam of light that flew into the digivice and disappeared. "Wha. . . ." began Takeru in surprise.

"Your friend Patamon digivolved to Pegasusmon," said Wizardmon. "As I said, no one will know that this is Patamon. Until Patamon is able to digivolve higher on his own, this digimental will allow him to progress to a newer, more powerful form."

"Are there other digimentals?" asked Pegasusmon as he tested the feel of his newer, larger wings.

"Yes. Each digimental will affect you differently," replied Wizardmon. "Now Takeru, go and change into your costume."

Takeru picked up the white satin outfit and looked at it critically. "Do I have to?"

"You don't want your brother and father to discover your presence, do you?"

"But this. . . . ."

"Is all part of the act. Go on now," Wizardmon shooed Takeru out of the room. The young man returned several minutes later dressed in a white satin tunic and satin leggings. White leather boots came up to his knees. Pegasusmon snickered when he saw the white-feathered wings attached to the back of Takeru's vest.

"Ha-ha," retorted Takeru dryly. "Laugh it up."

"Remember Takeru, you are part of my act. You are the tenshi, the angel. This is your role. You will only be known as the tenshi for your own protection."

"I understand. I feel stupid in this outfit, but I understand," replied Takeru.

Wizardmon pulled a white hood over Takeru's head, hiding his hair. The front of the hood came down over his face to form a mask, only allowing his eyes, nose, and mouth to be seen. Finally Wizardmon handed Takeru a helmet that covered his face except for his mouth. Two slits allowed him perfect vision, but did not allow those on the outside to see his eyes. "Well?" said Takeru as he turned around to Pegasusmon.

"If I didn't know it was you in the first place, I wouldn't know it was you," admitted Pegasusmon. He tried to see around the mask and helmet, but could not. Looking at a particular angle did allow a glimpse of Takeru's eyes. But that one would have to be much shorter than Takeru and standing right under his chin making a conscious effort to look up into his eyes.

"That is the idea," returned Wizardmon. "Now, let us be off. Our first show is this evening."

----

Hikari tried hard not to yawn. These long ceremonies were tiresome. It was mostly official introductions. Next to her, Prince Taichi was a bundle of nervous energy. His eyes never left Princess Sora's. Both had to be prompted for their parts in the introduction ceremony. The younger princess blushed when her stomach growled, leaving her wishing she had eaten a snack before the ceremony began.

After two hours of formal introductions, Hikari breathed a sigh of relief. The ceremony was over and the feast would begin. Hikari found herself seated between Lord Daisuke and Viscount Iori. Despite her pleasant conversation with the young viscount, Hikari still felt alone. The princess glanced around the room. At a nearby table she caught the eye of Sir Ken, who raised his glass to her. Lady Miyako, seated to Ken's right, did not notice the exchange.

The dinner was practically as long as the introduction ceremony, with far too many courses for the princess' taste. Hikari picked at the plates set in front of her despite her hunger. She didn't notice her mother's worried glances.

Servants began clearing away the dessert dishes. Gennai, the prime minister, stood. "On behalf of the royal family, I would like to invite our honored guests to a special performance. If you all would please move to the ball room?" The assembled guests stood and walked to the ballroom. Chairs were arranged in a semicircle. Two boxes, one large and one huge, dominated the center of the room. Next to it was a table with various items laid out. Gennai stepped forward.

"Your majesties, your highnesses, honored noble guests. I am honored this evening to present an entertainer known throughout our lands for his skills of prestidigitation and amazing feats of magic. And now, without further adieu, Wizardmon!" Gennai walked over to his seat.

Wizardmon's outfit glittered more than normal. Those who knew him applauded enthusiastically. Those who didn't applauded politely. The Digimon made a low bow. "Thank you for your warm welcome," said Wizardmon. "I would now like to introduce my assistant. . . ." Wizardmon looked around. "Errr. . . . I appear to be missing one assistant." He looked somewhat embarrassed. "Forgive me ladies and gentlemen. Might I ask for an assistant from the audience for the moment?"" The old Digimon scanned the crowd for the moment. Several of the nobles assembled seemed to want to take up his offer. However, Wizardmon already had his choice in mind. "Princess Hikari," said Wizardmon with a bow, "if you would do me the honor of assisting me with this trick?"

"Me?" Princess Hikari seemed surprised to be chosen.

"Go ahead," whispered Prince Taichi, who sat next to her.

No one noticed that Gatomon was glaring at Wizardmon, or Wizardmon's wink towards Gatomon.

Princess Hikari stood and approached Wizardmon. The audience applauded. "What would you like me to do?" she asked softly.

"Your highness, please examine this table. Are there any trap doors beneath?" asked Wizardmon.

"No," she said aloud.

Wizardmon unlatched two panels on the box and swung them down. "Please examine the box. Assure the audience that there are no false panels."

Hikari became intrigued by her request. She thoroughly examined the box. "There are no false panels."

"Could anything be hiding anywhere near the box?"

"Absolutely not," she replied, her hands on her hips. Stifled laughter rippled through the audience.

"Very well. Would you help me close these panels?" Hikari complied. Once the panels were closed, the box was totally sealed. Wizardmon stepped over to the table of supplies and retrieved a large, red cloth. "Your highness, please examine this cloth and describe it to the audience."

"It's a very fine satin," she said. "But nothing is hiding in it."

"Then let us proceed." Wizardmon covered the box with the cloth. The cloth was not long enough to touch the floor. "Your highness, please watch that nothing sneaks in and climbs in through the bottom of the box." Taking one corner of the table, Wizardmon walks around and turns the table three times. "Princess Hikari, when I count to three, I would like you to pull the cloth off. Ready?"

Hikari picked up a corner of the cloth. "Ready."

"One. Two. Three!" Wizardmon gestured as Hikari pulled the cloth off the box. Then he flipped the latch on the top panel of the box. It flew open and the side panels dropped.

The audience gasped. A figure rose from a crouching position. Standing before them, in the center of the platform, was a young man dressed entirely in white. A silvery helmet covered his head and most of his face. White, feathered wings adorned his shoulders.

"Princess Hikari, ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce my assistant, the Tenshi," announced Wizardmon.

As the crowd applauded, Takeru bowed low. He felt as if a horde of Snowbotamon were bouncing around in his stomach. Wizardmon moved a stool in front of the table and he stepped down. Takeru glanced around at the audience. He saw Viscount Yamato seated behind Prince Taichi, and their father seated a few rows further back. Their appearance made his nervousness increase. Then his eyes fell on Princess Hikari. Everything else was forgotten.

Or would have been, had Wizardmon not said, "Thank you for your assistance your highness. The Tenshi will now assist me." Takeru blinked in confusion, though no one saw it past the helmet, then nodded.

"I can't believe he actually did that," said Gatomon quietly, an angry note to her voice.

"Patience little one," said Leomon. He sat behind Gatomon, as did Pixiemon, the queen's Digimon.

"Think you Wizardmon plots?" asked Pixiemon.

"I know he's up to something," said Gatomon. "And I don't want Hikari to be hurt."

"Now Tenshi," said Wizardmon, "I'm sure many of these people assembled do not believe I conjured you out of thin air. Shall I repeat this trick?"

Takeru was very aware of the audiences' eyes upon him. . . particularly the eyes of the princess. He swallowed hard. "Perhaps it should be up to your noble audience," replied Takeru, his voice strong and clear. He had to remember to project his voice, not to use the meek tone he normally did in the presence of his superiors. "You are an angel," Wizardmon had told him before they left. "Rise above those who try to cast you down." Takeru kept running this thought through his mind. He seemed to need it most when he looked into the audience and saw Viscount Yamato behind Prince Taichi. Further back sat the earl. "I can't let them distract me," thought Takeru.

Wizardmon turned to the audience. "Shall I?" The chorus of yes and the cheers weren't unexpected. "Then perhaps we should conjure something larger. If you would assist me, Tenshi?"

As they had practiced, they moved forward the larger box and repeated the actions from before. Takeru pulled off the cloth. The box opened up to reveal Pegasusmon. The Digimon reared up and spread his wings in a grand gesture.

"I wonder if this is Wizardmon's attempt to bring you an angel of your own," Leomon whispered jokingly to Gatomon. She glared at him.

"There is much I have not been told," said Pixiemon. "Right am I?"

Gatomon chose to ignore the two of them and shifted her attention to Princess Hikari. Wizardmon, his angel assistant, and the Pegasusmon were going through an elaborate routine of making things disappear and reappear. But Gatomon could tell that the princess' eyes weren't on the trickery. They were on the young man in white. Gatomon wanted to know every last detail about this stranger. She would find out somehow.

The performance was not nearly as long as Hikari would have liked. However, this was just a preview of Wizardmon's grand performance in a couple of days. "Is Wizardmon going to stay at the palace?" she asked her mother.

"Of course," replied the queen.

Hikari didn't ask about the tenshi. It stood to reason that, if Wizardmon was going to stay in the palace, so would his assistants. She knew he wasn't a real angel. He was flesh and blood, yet something about the mysterious youth made the princess want to find out more about him. What kind of young man hid behind the helmet?

"Thank you," said Wizardmon with a low bow. The tenshi and Pegasusmon bowed as well.

"Encore! Encore!" shouted several guests as they stood and applauded.

"Ah, you are too kind. However, you will have to wait for the full performance," said Wizardmon.

"You were most kind to give us this preview," said the king. "You and your assistants are welcome to stay at the palace."

"Your highness is most gracious," replied Wizardmon. "The Tenshi, Pegasusmon and I are honored."

The king clapped three times. Servants stepped forward and escorted Takeru, Pegasusmon, and Wizardmon out of the room. Hikari wanted to go after them, but she knew she wouldn't be permitted. Slowly the nobles and their Digimon began to withdraw from the ballroom. Finally she was able to leave.

"Where do you think you're going?" asked Lady Mimi.

"Oh. . . . ummm. . . ."

"Don't stammer. It's not lady like and you have a long day ahead of you tomorrow. Off to bed," said Lady Mimi authoritatively. Sighing, Hikari allowed Lady Mimi to escort her back to her room.

Gatomon peeked out from behind a drape. She knew the princess had intended to try and find Wizardmon's companion.

Wizardmon, however, had anticipated someone trying to find Takeru's room. A warding spell would keep anyone from finding him. Unaware of this, Takeru sat down on the bed.

Never before had he been able to stay in such a fine room. Once, when he was younger and the earl was away, he had snuck into one of the guest bedrooms for a few hours and fell asleep. Melorah scolded himm warned the boy away from doing that again.

"Your bath is drawn sir," said the servant who led him to the room. "Is there anything else you will need?"

"No, thank you," said Takeru.

"I'm going to devolve," said Pegasusmon when they were alone. "I don't think I can get very comfortable like this to sleep."

"Sure," said Takeru as he removed his helmet. "I'm going to take my bath."

As Takeru undressed, Pegasusmon devolved to Patamon. "Boy, digivolving takes a lot out of you," he said as he followed Takeru to the bathroom. "Mind if I eat the fruit in the bowl on the table."

"As long as it isn't wax," replied Takeru. He eased himself into the hot water. Scented oils and soaps sat on the edge of the tub. Smiling, he chose one of the soaps and picked up a washcloth with the royal monogram. He couldn't remember ever having such a luxurious bath in his life. When he finished, he wrapped himself in a fluffy towel and sat in front of the fireplace to dry.

Over in the bed, he could see Patamon was sound asleep. Most of the fruit in the bowl was gone. Takeru finished drying himself, then climbed into bed as well. Sleep didn't come as easily to him. Takeru's dreams were filled with a beautiful princess with soft brown eyes.

That same princess awoke the next morning after dreaming of being carried away by an angel in white satin. She didn't want to wake up. But Gatomon could be rather insistent. Besides, she had to be ready in time for a ladies' breakfast.

Lady Mimi, Lady Miyako, and Lady Jun were already in the queen's garden with their Digimon. Hawkmon sat and fidgeted. He hated these kinds of breakfasts, since he was usually the only male present, other than Pixiemon. He sighed in relief when Gatomon came. Gatomon was much better conversation than Palmon. "I really hate these things," he confided to Gatomon in a low voice.

"Me too," admitted Gatomon. "I could think of a dozen things I'd rather be doing. Hikari really doesn't like these either. But the queen insists."

"Yes, but you're not the only male here."

"What about Pixiemon?"

"Have you ever tried to hold a lengthy conversation with him?"

"You're right about that." The two ended their conversation when they saw the queen and Princess Sora approaching. Hawkmon spied Biyomon walking behind Princess Sora. His eyes went wide as he tried to slick back some of his feathers. Gatomon winced, shaking her head in disbelief.

The ladies and their Digimon rose and curtsied politely while Hawkmon bowed. Princess Sora sat in a seat next to Hikari. "We didn't have much of a chance to speak yesterday," said Sora with a smile to her future sister-in-law. Hikari was glad of the change. She had been speaking with, or rather listening to, Lady Jun. Talking with Princess Sora would provide a refreshing change.

---

Takeru awoke as the sun streamed into his room. He didn't remember ever sleeping so well. "Ah, you're awake."

"GAH!" Takeru was surprised to see Wizardmon sitting in the chair before the fire.

"Another five minutes," muttered Patamon, who rolled to his other side.

"Sorry to startle you," said Wizardmon. "I was planning on performing in the fair this afternoon, so I thought you might want to walk around and see some of the sights this morning." Takeru sat up, rubbed his eyes, and yawned. He jostled Patamon until he too awoke. "Why don't you digivolve Patamon, then go into the other room and change. I'll send for breakfast."

Nodding, Takeru found his digivice in his pocket from the day before. Sleepily Patamon glided to the floor. "Digi-Armor energize!" called Takeru, fighting back a yawn. Once Patamon digivolved to Pegasusmon, Takeru stumbled out of the room into the bathroom. He put on another white satin suit in a different style than the one from the day before.

"Do I have to wear the wings?" he asked.

"You must maintain your appearance," returned Wizardmon.

"I even have to wear it this morning? I'll feel ridiculous marching around town wearing a pair of wings," protested Takeru.

"I didn't get much choice in the matter, did I?" asked Pegasusmon.

"As long as you are with me, you'll be fine," returned Wizardmon.

As Takeru settled his helmet, a polite knock came at the door. Wizardmon opened it. A servant walked in pushing a cart laden with food. Takeru and Pegasusmon's mouths watered at the smells. The servant served freshly squeezed juice, bacon and eggs, pancakes, fruit pastries. . . . The youngsters gorged themselves on the fine food ravenously. The servant made sure their plates were never empty. Pegasusmon preferred the fruit filled pastries and pancakes over the rest. All were sated when the servant pushed the cart out of the room.

"If you're not too stuffed to move, let's go to the fair," said Wizardmon.

-----

Princess Hikari was listening to Princess Sora tell of her homeland. Much about Sora made Hikari feel as if the princess was a kindred spirit. However, Hikari's mind kept drifting off to the mysterious young man that came with Wizardmon the night before.

"My cousin Iori and I would very much like to see some of the capital," Sora said.

"An escort could be provided, if you would like to go after lunch," suggested the queen. "Hikari, would you like to join them this afternoon?"

"If we don't make a big deal of it, I might," said Hikari. "It's just no fun going and having everyone recognize you."

"I know," said Sora. "Sometimes Iori and I would dress up as peasants and sneak out to see the fair."

"Yes, and your mother would get extremely upset afterwards," added Biyomon.

"I'm certain we could arrange something less formal," said the queen.

------

Takeru walked and stared, amazed at the sights of the capital. It was a far cry from the small village near the manor - this fair was ten times larger than any he had seen. A couple of street artists begged him and Pegasusmon to pose for sketches. Takeru's face turned bright red, but he did pose. Wizardmon stopped and talked with old acquaintances. Takeru noticed he was talking to an Elecmon, who kept turning and looking at Takeru. The artists, who were rapidly gathering, soon blocked off his view.

After lunch, they browsed a little more, then made their way to a small stage surrounded by some benches. "We're going to just do some mini performances," said Wizardmon. "Think of them as practice for your great performance at the palace."

People started filling in the benches quickly. Word had spread that Wizardmon was performing, and everyone wanted to see him.

By the second performance, Takeru was gaining confidence. He was glad for the chance to practice.

--------

With much wrangling by the queen, a small escort was arranged. To avoid attracting attention, only the prince and princesses, Viscount Yamato, Lord Daisuke, and Viscount Iori were there, with Princess Sora's bodyguard Michael and a couple of other guards dressed in plain clothes. They chose the plainest clothing they had. To the casual observer, they appeared a small group of well-to-do people on holiday. Their Digimon, all rare and easily noticed types, remained behind at the palace.

Iori's eyes went wide at all the sights. "Your city is quite different from home," he said.

"Yes," added Sora. "The architecture is quite different. We also do not have open fairs quite like this."

"Sometimes this is the best way to find hidden talent," admitted Taichi. "Last year we found some excellent musicians and artists."

"Artist Row is usually down this way," said Hikari. They made their way down one of the side streets to another square. Several artists had parchments, tapestries, weavings, pottery, and canvases laid out on the ground and on tables. Sora examined some pottery and baskets, commenting on how lovely they were. She purchased a tapestry, which was rolled up and handed to a guard. Taichi made notes about the various artists, remembering a few from previous meetings.

"Oh my," said Hikari. She was near some tables where artists were doing sketches of people while they waited. She was very surprised to find sketches of Wizardmon's angel companion and Pegasusmon.

"Such a charming young man," said a young woman who was coloring in a sketch with chalk. "He is with Wizardmon in the entertainers' square." Grateful for the news, Hikari bought a couple of the woman's sketches of the tenshi. The artist rolled the parchments carefully and tied them with ribbons. "I had to go over there and watch him."

"Thank you," said Hikari as she pulled out a few extra coins for the woman.

"Oh miss, this is too much," protested the woman.

"This is well worth it," she said, gesturing with the pictures. "As is your news." Before the woman could say anything else, Hikari turned to the others. "How about we visit the entertainers' square next?"

-----

Takeru finished setting up for the next show. He glanced up and saw several people sitting down together. Suddenly, his heart leapt into his throat. The princess! Then his heart fell into the pit of his stomach. Yamato. . . . "Say nothing," he heard Wizardmon whisper in his ear.

"But. . . ."

"It looks as if they are trying to see the sights without being noticed. Few people recognize them when they are not in their lofty settings."

Nodding, Takeru continued preparations.

Princess Sora sat on one of the benches between Taichi and Iori. It was fun walking about and not being noticed. She glanced over at Hikari. "I think your sister is smitten with Wizardmon's tenshi," she whispered to Taichi.

"What makes you say that?" he asked.

"The performance hasn't even started and she hasn't been able to keep her eyes off him." Taichi glanced across Sora at his sister.

"I wouldn't be surprised if this was part of some plan of Wizardmon's," said Taichi. "She was very down the last time he visited. And with Wizardmon, you never know what lurks in that mind of his."

"That would be so sweet," said Sora. She slipped her hand in Taichi's.

"I wonder who is behind that helmet," said Yamato. "It can't be anyone of noble blood. No one of noble birth would do anything as demeaning as being a full time magician's assistant."

"I would," said Iori. "It looks like fun."

"And besides, Wizardmon is far more than any stage magician, as you should well know," returned Taichi.

"What do you mean?" asked Iori.

"Wizardmon is rumored to be one of the most powerful Digimon around," said Taichi. "No one truly knows how powerful he is. Performing is a hobby."

"So why would Yamato know any differently?" asked Iori.

Taichi smiled. His fiancée's young cousin was as inquisitive as Sir Koushirou. "Wizardmon has a cottage in Yamato's province," explained the prince.

"Yes, but he's only recently returned," interjected Yamato. "He's been away since. . ." he was about to say since his mother died, but stopped, ". . . since my fourth birthday."

"I don't see what's so special about that angel," sniffed Daisuke. "What's he got that I haven't?"

"He's tall," began Hikari, "handsome, graceful. . . ."

"All right, all right," snapped Daisuke

Before anything else could be said, the angel picked up a small mallet and hit a gong. The entire audience became focused on the performance.

Takeru was as nervous as he was the night before. Just when he was starting to feel comfortable. . . . He didn't know if it was because of the princess or Yamato. "Just ignore them," Pegasusmon whispered in Takeru's ear. Nodding, Takeru continued with the routine as he had done before. He tried to block out the noble's presence, but it was very difficult.

Hikari wasn't watching the act at all. Her eyes were only for the tenshi. Somehow she needed to get some time to talk with him, to see what kind of person was beneath the helmet. For Hikari, the performance was all too short.

"Come on," said Taichi, tugging on her sleeve.

"Can't we stay for another show?" she asked her brother, putting on her little girl voice.

Prince Taichi knew his sister's tricks all too well. "We have the special performance coming up. Besides, we only have a couple of hours left, and there is more to show our guests." With a sigh, Hikari allowed her brother to tow her away.

By the time Takeru and Pegasusmon returned to the palace, both were tired and hoping for a quiet meal, a hot soak and a chance to sleep. Sleeping would have to wait. Takeru was waiting for a servant to draw his bath when Wizardmon announced they had been invited to dine with the royal family. The bath would have to be a quick one. He dressed in one of the more elegant costumes Wizardmon provided him with. "I think for dinner, you might trade a cape for the wings," suggested Wizardmon as he picked out a green vest and matching cape for Takeru. "The wings might be uncomfortable at the dinner table."

Dinner. Most of Takeru's appetite fled. It wasn't that he was unused to being the one served. It wasn't that he was surrounded by the most powerful nobles of the kingdom. It was the fact that he was seated between Princess Hikari and Lady Mimi. He felt Lady Mimi critically watching his every move. And the princess. . . . every time she spoke to him, he felt tongue-tied.

Mimi studied the "tenshi" seated next to her. It was obvious Princess Hikari was becoming infatuated with him. The young man seemed to be hanging on her every word. He also appeared ready to die of embarrassment. The part of his face that could be seen under the helmet (which she considered rude to wear at the dinner table, but the king and queen were allowing), was turning bright red. Obviously he was unused to being surrounded by nobility. Yet there was a particular air about him that she couldn't help liking him.

Gatomon stared daggers at the young man seated next to the princess. Was this more of Wizardmon's tricks? Some coincidence he was seated where he was. Hikari hadn't stopped talking about him since she'd returned from the fair. Pegasusmon watched her curiously, then glanced over at Takeru and the princess. He felt sorry for Takeru, who looked like he would rather be anywhere than there.

After dinner they moved to the parlor. Takeru found himself talking with some of the gentlemen. As Wizardmon taught him, he tried to be as circumvent as possible. Everyone tried to pry into his origins, but he had several stock answers to give. Even the Digimon were questioning him.

At last he managed to slip away into one of the gardens. He was becoming overheated from the crush of bodies and the helmet he wore. Takeru found a quiet, secluded area by a fountain. Carefully he made certain he was alone. With a sigh he slipped the helmet off and pulled back the hood. The breeze blowing through his hair felt great after wearing the heavy helmet all day.

Hikari saw the tenshi slip out of the room. As soon as she could, she followed him, unaware she was being followed by Gatomon. The princess watched as the tenshi pulled back his hood. Mentally she cursed her poor positioning. All she could see was golden hair glistening in the moonlight.

Suddenly, Takeru heard movement in the bushes. Hurriedly he put on his helmet, leaving the hood off. "Who's out there?" he called. Biting her lower lip, Hikari stepped forward. "Your highness!" Takeru hurriedly bowed.

"Oh please don't. I'm so tired of that," she said.

"Yes your highness," replied Takeru.

"Hikari," corrected the princess. "We are alone."

Gatomon's sensitive ears strained to hear what Hikari was saying to the tenshi. "What are you doing?" she heard a soft voice say behind her. Startled, she turned to see Pegasusmon standing behind her.

"None of your business," she snapped in a low voice.

"Spying," returned Pegasusmon. "The princess and the tenshi are over that way."

"What's it to you?" Gatomon flexed her claws.

Pegasusmon stepped back. "Easy there," he returned. "I'm just making sure the tenshi is all right."

"Why do you wear that helmet?" asked Hikari, looking up at Takeru. She found that if she looked at just the right angle, she could see his eyes through the slits of the helmet. They were the most incredible shade of blue. "If I commanded you, would you take it off?"

"Forgive me your highness," replied Takeru. "I can not. Even if you commanded me."

"Why?"

"There are those. . . if they found out I was here. . . . I would be in a lot of trouble. They didn't want me to be here. . . ."

In the bushes, Gatomon growled warningly, ready to leap at the tenshi. "Lady Gatomon, these are relatives of the tenshi. If they discovered he was here, they would most likely hurt him," said Pegasusmon.

Gatomon's fur stopped bristling as she considered Pegasusmon's words. "Is he of noble birth?"

"Yes," said Pegasusmon after a couple of moments. "Please tell no one that I told you. Even that small bit of information might endanger him. I would rather face your claws than the fury of his relatives."

"Even briefly?" said Hikari softly.

"Forgive me, but no. You have already seen more than I should have allowed."

"Your highness!" they heard someone calling. Takeru stepped back into the shadows as Lady Miyako came towards them. "You had best return to the palace. Lady Mimi is looking for you. If she finds you out here. . . ."

"Very well," Hikari turned to say farewell to the tenshi, but he was gone. Her heart sank.

Behind a tree, Takeru removed his helmet and pulled up his hood/mask. "Forgive me your highness," he whispered, then set his helmet back on his head.

<to be continued>