Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Tears of the Gifted ❯ Chapter I: A Little Sister’s Remorse ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Tears of the Gifted
Chapter I: A Little Sister's Remorse
 
It is morning and a young girl of twelve in a light pink shirt, with a pink sash tied around her wrist, sits in a room on a fold-away bed beneath one of two windows. She gazed out the open window above her bed at the city around her. Her white silver eyes full of sorrow, her long white silver hair with single thin braid in the back danced in the gentle spring breeze that entered and blew about the room. She had not moved an inch from that spot sense finishing her breakfast two hours earlier. The room around her was more silent than empty meadow of flowers and in its doorway a middle aged man and woman stood gazing at her with concern and worry of a mother and father.
 
“I don't know what to do, dear, all she does is sit their all day,” the woman said worryingly, “She hardly eats or drinks anything and wont talk to anyone not even her friends. I'm really worried,”
 
“She still needs time; a lot has happened to her,” the man said, “She's going to need more than just two weeks to recover from it,”
 
“Poor girl, her father dies protecting her from Anti-gifted fanatics, her brother is killed by his own flames in a mad rage and her mother's in coma she may never wake up from. In the passed year she's almost lost her entire family,” the woman said.
 
“If the plug has to be pulled on her mother you know what we'll have to do,” the man said
 
“I know and I don't mind raising her, but I know her mother will wake up, at least I hope so,” the woman said sadly
 
“Well I have to go meet Dr. Kaito and Detective Jin-sin at city hall for the meeting today. If all goes well. We may be able to get the necessary laws passed to protect Kari, and our daughter. Speaking of whom where is, Sora?”
 
“She's out on her usual morning walk to the park. Matt should be bringing her home right about now,” the woman said.
 
“That's good to hear,” the man said, “You know I always thought Sora would end up being with Tai, oh well. I have to go, have a nice day dear,”
 
The man left the apartment after kissing his wife goodbye. The woman gazes at the girl, takes a deep breath and enters the room fully, “Kari, are you alright, can I get you anything?” she asked.
 
“No thank you,” the girl replied sadly as strings of white silver light circle about her body.
 
“Are you sure?”
 
“I just want to be left alone right now please,” Kari replied sadness and innocence.
 
“Alright, if you need anything don't be afraid to ask. I'll be down stairs at my shop alright,”
 
“Thank you, but I'll be alright,”
 
“O...k,” the woman said hesitantly. She leaves the room closing the door behind her.
 
Kari sat in the room with her head lying firmly in her arms on the window seal looking out over the city, `Tai...why did you have to die,' she thought sadly starting to cry as strings of silver light circled her body , `it's all the naturals fault! They've taken everything from me. Dad, you, and now I may lose mom. I'll be all alone...,' tears began to take form in her eyes, “NO! I don't want to be alone!” yelled sadly as she cried in her arms upon the window seal her tears dripping upon her skirt.
 
The day passes and she wanders about the room, she drew sketches of her family in a sketch book, and laid her on fold away bed. As morning sifted to noon she left the room and made herself a small lunch and then sat down and watched TV for a short while and then returned to the room and gazed out the window once again. Sora arrived home a few minutes later. She entered the room and Kari gazed at the once strong willed digidestined with her golden outlined white cloak that reached no further then her waist, her white dress that reached ankles just barely revealing her white lather bottom cloth slippers. Her face was that of an angel's, but the cloak's hood hid her elf like ears, her sun golden eyes gazed back at Kari and then turned away as remove her hood revealing her beautiful sun-golden hair. Kari gazed at her; if anyone came anywhere near knowing Tai longer than her it was her. She knew Sora was feeling the same pain she that was. She and her brother had been good friends since childhood and now that good friend who had always been there for her when she needed him the most was gone.
 
Kari blinked slowly then spoke in calm voice filled with remorse and sorrow, “How was your walk Sora?”
 
“It was alright,” she replied in a sad innocent voice engulfed with sadness.
 
“You're very late; normally you're out only for an hour.”
“I walked the site of Fire Storm where the Juvenile Hall once stood, got some lunch with Matt, and then he walked me home,” Sora said sadly and innocently
 
“Fire Storm changed some people's views about us Gifted and just who was the real danger to society is. Though a lot of people still blame my brother for the destruction of the Juvenile hall and the deaths it caused, saying he shouldn't have lost his temper and complained to the warden,” Kari said sadly with a bit of anger as strings of silver light again circled her.
 
“That's a laugh, that warden was part of Pure Blue and he was the one who put Tai in that isolated prison outside in the cold. Tai could've complained all he wanted; he would have just been ignored,” Sora pointed out sorrowfully with some anger as strings of golden light circled her, “Those who still blame Tai for it only do so because they're stubborn and arrogated or they had family that was killed in Fire Storm.”
 
“Naturals are all arrogate! When something like that happens they refuse to accept their own portion of the responsibility. Some of them just want to keep hating us because they don't want to admit their wrong about us or least some of us. There have been some Gifted who have attacked naturals straight out, but they were able to get away with it because the wounds were minor that they hardly needed any tending to,” Kari looked out the window.
 
“My dad, Dr. Kaido, Detective Jin-sin and other Pro-gifted are meeting with the city officials today. With any luck they'll be able to get laws passed to protect us from the naturals who'd love nothing more than to make our lives miserable,” Sora explained. She then went silent as looked at her arm and covered up a light burse. Then suddenly changed the subject, “Oh by the way Davis is downstairs. I think he's still there.”
 
“What...why?” Kari asked surprisingly.
 
“He said something about taking you to see your mother today. But he seemed too nervous to ask you. Why don't you go, it'll be better than sitting around here all day?”
 
Kari was silent she hadn't seen her mother since she was taken to the hospital the night of her brother's death and she had been too depressed to ask Mrs. Takenouchi or any of her friends to take her. “Maybe I will go,” she finally, “I haven't seen her since Fire Storm, I guess it's time to pay a visit.” She got up, put on her shoes and then grabbed a small purse and headed for the door.
 
“Kari...” Sora said suddenly.
 
“Yes?”
 
“If you see Matt out there can you tell him I said to go home? I won't be leaving here for the rest of day and I don't really want any company?” Sora asked.
 
“I'll be sure to let him know if I she him, though he may not listen,” Kari replied kindly. She left the apartment, and took the elevator to the first floor. There she found a young man no older than herself, dark red hair no longer than his neck tied in a tight ponytail in the back of his hanging like rabbit's tail from the top, his red shirt tucked into his blue jeans that hid the tongues of his white and blue shoes. He leaned against a near by tree when he noticed her and spoke in a welcoming, well mannered, but nervous voice.
 
“Hey...hey... Kari,” he stuttered looking at her nervously with his fire red eyes.
 
“Hello Davis, where's TK and the others?” she asked politely with a bit of smile on her face.
 
“TK's helping his mom today down at the paper she is a reporter and all. Plus today's meeting in really important. He decided to go with her and hopefully hear some good news. Yolei and her family are getting ready for Mimi's arrival tomorrow, and Cody's helping Ken and his parents move into Odaiba,”
 
“Oh,” she replied sorrowfully, “So it'll just be you acting as my bodyguard today?”
 
“Yeah pretty much,” he replied smartly, “unless you don't want me around, because if that's the case I'll leave.”
 
“NO! No...I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that. I'd like to have you around,” Kari replied blushing, `He reminds me so much of Tai. Just looking at him...strangely gives me a feeling of relief,' she thought.
 
“Well then shell we go to the hospital?” he asked kindly and politely.
 
They set off walking down the busy streets of the late afternoon. Kari stuck close to Davis as they reached the entrance to the subway and walked down to the trains. Davis paid for the tickets and then they caught the train to that would take them to the area the hospital was in. As they sat Kari found herself taking Davis's hand in nervousness as she looked at the money hateful glances aimed her and Davis's way. If not for a Gifted's unnatural hair color they wouldn't stand out as much, but they glances continued she became fearful and her power reacted likewise with strings of silver light circling her body.
“Davis...” she said with an uneasy tone.
“Yes.” He replied.
“Can we get off on the next stop? I'd rather avoid trouble with Anti-gifted natural.”
 
Davis looked around at glances aimed their way. He had noticed them, but he'd hoped no one would bother them because of what happened with Tai Kamiya and Fire Storm, but he knew through his own experiences that fear can often be over run by hate and disperse reason. He turned and nodded in agreement adding, “Alright, but don't worry, I'll protect you.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
They waited for the train to reach its next stop and got off quickly. They walked through the station heading for the exit with Kari staying as close as she possibly could to Davis. Her powers acted in accordance to her nervousness.
 
Davis looked at her but as he did there was uneasiness in his heart a strange feeling of guilt, `Jun,' he thought suddenly when without warning a broken glass bottle came flying at Kari spinning like a thrown pencil. Davis saw and pulled Kari to the other side of him and into protective hug shielding her as the bottled hit and sunk into his shoulder with its jagged points. He gave a gasp of pain as he pulled it quickly before Kari could notice, and blood spray from the newly form wound on his hand.
 
“Blasted freaks! You want turn this place into the next fire storm!” a man yelled as he reached into a trash can and pulled out an empty soda can and threw at the two young Gifted, but it was intercepted by a wall of Fire and incinerated.
 
“Come on let's go!” Davis cried as he grabbed Kari's hand and ran for the exit as other naturals joined in on the trash throwing. Davis shielded Kari from it the best he could as they ran for the stairs with a crowd of angry anti-gifted behind them. They ran up the stairs and into the safety of a near by store as the crowd ran straight by not noticing they had take shelter.
 
“We should be safe here for awhile,” Davis said, “Unless the store clerk's Anti-gifted. Are you alright Kari?”
 
“Yes, thanks to you, but...” she noticed the blood on his hand. “Oh no! You're hand's bleeding!” she suddenly took his hand when she realized that it wasn't his that bleeding. She then noticed the dark red stain on his shoulder and eyes widened with worry. “Your shoulder!”
 
“Huh, oh that it's nothing just a little cut,” he replied covering it up.
 
“That isn't just a little cut! Way do guys always try to act tough about these things?” she grabbed his good hand and spoke to the clerk behind the counter, “Excuse me but do you have a first aid kit?”
 
The clerk looked at them and noticed the strings light circling her body and the fires circling Davis's and his eyes widen with surprise! “You...you're gi...gi...fted!”
 
“What! Damn it! Not another one; we better get out here!” Davis said as he grabbed Kari's hand.
 
“Wait! It's ok! I'm not Anti-gifted...well...not anymore,” the clerk said.
 
“Huh...” Davis replied confusingly.
 
“What do you mean not anymore?” Kari asked confused
 
“I used to think that Gifted were monsters and that they were nothing but a danger to everyone around them, but after hearing about Fire Storm and what caused it. I realized that...well...by treating you guys like monsters we fail to see the monsters within our salves. So you consider yourselves welcome here,”
 
“If that's so then why were you so surprised to see us?” Davis asked curiously
 
“While it was the first time I've ever seen a Gifted with their powers charged,” the clerk said scratching the back of his head.
 
“Sorry about that, our powers act on their own whenever we're placed in danger or get really tense. They'll settle on their own pretty soon,” Kari explained, “In any case about that first aid,”
 
“Oh yes...wait a moment,” the clerk replied. He reached down behind the counter and pulled a white case with a red cross on it, “Here you go. It's not complete but it should help your friend their a little,”
 
“Thank you, is there a bathroom here,”
 
“Yes, in the back corner over there,” the clerk replied pointing.
 
“Thank you, again,” she then grabbed Davis's hand and the two went into the bathroom.
 
Once there Kari made Davis remove his shirt and turn he back to her as she washed Davis's wound thoroughly with soap and water and then took a small bottle of rubbing alcohol and some cotton and poured a little of alcohol onto the cotton.
 
“You...ah...really don't have...ah...to do this,” Davis said enduring the stringing of the alcohol.
 
“You got hurt protecting me, it's the least I can do,” Kari said blushing
 
“Yeah...well...ok, just don't TK we got attacked today,” he said blushing.
 
“Sure,” she said as she finished cleaning up the wound. She reached down for a bandaged, but found only band-aids; “These band-aids are too small for your wound...” she was silent for a while then reached into her small purse and pulled out a long handkerchief. She tied it firmly around his shoulder and then he examined it blushing red.
 
“How's that feel,” she asked.
 
“Batter, thanks, where did you learn to such a good nurse?” he asked still blushing.
 
“I had practice tending to Tai wounds when he...he was in juvi,” she replied, “They used too fire water at him…heavy jet streams of it. The waters were so harsh that they cut into his skin though his shirt. He went through at least ten of the hall's uniform shirts. The warden wouldn't listen when Tai tried to explain why, but of course he was allowing them to treat my brother like garbage,” she cried as tears started to form in her eyes.
 
“Kari...”
 
“They treated him like he was the lowest piece of scam on the planet and then had the nerve to call him a monster!” she cried as more tears began flow and the strings of energy circled more of her body, “I've had hard time going sleep because whenever I close my eyes I see the last images I ever saw of my brother. Pure Blood surrounding him shooting water at him from all sides, trying to drown him with their fire horses! My mother knocked to ground, my brother going berserk and creating that fire storm! I remember it all too well! How my brother's flames engulfed the Juvenile Hall, the people who tried to fight being sucked in and burned to death! Then the flames suddenly dying out living nothing but an empty lot of ash and my unconscious mother...my brother was gone destroyed by his own rage and anger provoked and unleashed by stubborn naturals who refuse even now take responsibly for their actions. They hate us, they fear us and so they attack us and when we...no our power strikes back at them to protect us they run away and call us a freaks and monsters,” tears flowed from her eyes like a light shower from a grey cloud and she soon found herself in Davis's arms. He held her close as she cried and then pulled her away and wiped the tears from her watery eyes.
 
“It's alright,” he spoke gently and kindly looking into her silver eyes, “I know, I'm not Tai, but I'll do everything I can to protect you. To be there for you,”
 
Kari gazed back into his fire red eyes and then cried upon his chest, “Thank you, Davis, thank you,”
 
“You don't have to thank me, I'm friend and I always will be,” Davis said kindly, “Go ahead cry, just let it all out. I'm right here.”
 
He held her and she cried as he did. His arms wrapped carefully around her as she cried on his chest. After a couple more minutes she pulled away and he released and wiped away any remaining tears with his finger.
 
“Ready to go,” he asked kindly and friendly.
 
“Yes...and thank you,” she replied innocently and lovingly, `He not the jerk I remember I him to be he's changed a little,'
 
They left the store after returning the first-aid kit to the store clerk. They walked down the street, Kari stayed closer to Davis feeling a sense of security and comfort. They ignored the many hateful gazes they received and they turned a deaf ear to any outlandish comments thrown at them. Two hours passed and they finally arrived at the hospital. They spoke to the receptionist, and she guided them in direction of Kari's mother's room that had two police men standing outside it. Once there they found her mother laying in the bed in a hospital gown and vase of floors on a nightstand next to her as well as a much unexpected guest, a tall man with short black hair, serious, but kind expression, in a long brown trench coat, with brown lather gloves and black business suit.
 
“Detective Jin-sin what are you doing here,” Kari said surprisingly.
 
“Kari...I thought you'd be at home waiting to hear about how the meeting went?” the man said.
 
“I would be, but I decided to come and visit my mother rather than sit around at home,” Kari replied.
 
“Who's your friend?” Jin-sin asked gazing at Davis.
 
“This is Davis my good friend and you could say body guard,” Kari said smiling.
 
“Body guard, aren't you a bit young for a job like that?” Jin-sin said raising an eyebrow examining the young man.
 
“Hey, I did a pretty good job getting her here in piece and I'll do an even better job of getting back home,”
 
“Judging by that bandage on your arm I take you ran into some trouble on the way here,” Jin-sin commented.
 
“Yeah you could you say that,” Davis replied scratching the back of his head.
 
“While if you need a ride back I'll here for at least another ten minutes checking on the men here keep guard for the injured,” Jin-sin said.
 
“Injured Gifted...” Kari said confusingly.
 
“Yes, after Fire Storm many of Gifted have been attacked by Pure Blood and other Anti-gifted groups. They've been trying to provoke Gifted into using their powers so they can use the injuries and casualties in their favor in the discussions at city hall,” Jin-sin explained, “So far however, many Gifted, who also heard about Fire Storm, have figured out on their own that this could be the only chance they have to get government protect while keeping hold of their freedom. So instead of fighting back, many of them are either staying indoors or enduring what's thrown at them trying their best not to let their powers act their own. Those chose to endure are having a hard time keeping their powers from reacting, especially Fire Starters like you Davis and Earth movers like your friend TK. Because of their determination and courage Professor Takenouchi, Dr. Kaito, others and myself have new evidence to support or side of things, but...”
 
“But what,” Davis asked worryingly.
 
“Kari...Professor Takenouchi was going to ask you this when he got home today, but I guess now's a good a time as any,” Jin-sin replied regretfully, “He kneeled to her eye level and spoke, “Kari we need your permission to mention Tai's involvement in the hearing tomorrow. Fire Storm is useless to us if we don't have the name of person who started it. Furthermore your brother has not gone through not just one but two such events! The first was when he burned down Odaiba high and the second was Fire Storm,”
 
“But if you guys mention Tai's name, wont they be able they trace it back to her and rest our friends and come after us,” Davis pointed out with great concern.
 
“Both you two and you're friends will be under police protection. Don't worry; there are some pro-gifted members like my-self in the force,” Jin-sin explained placing his hand on her shoulder, “Kari, Fire Storm and your brother's treatment at the Juvenile Hall are the best evidence we have not just for Gifted here Japan, but all around the world. But such evidence is useless unless we have the name of Gifted mistreated and sent into rage because of people like those in Pure Blood. However we need the permission of the person's family in order to use it. So what do you say?” Kari was silent; she didn't know what to say. She looked at her mother and then back at Jin-sin. Who nodded and stood up, “Please give us your answer by Monday. That's when the hearing will recommence,” he left the room but stopped just outside the door, “When you're done here come down to the parking lot. I'll give you two a ride home,” and he left.
 
Kari stood with Davis right behind her. He touched her shoulder, “Kari...” he said kindly. She gave a silent reply and sat in the chair at her mother's bedside and held her hand in hers.
 
Davis looked at his friend and then left the room and sat in a chair just outside the door and patiently waited. Kari sat there holding her unconscious mother's hand, “Mom, should I really reveal Tai's name to everyone? Should I really tell them he was the source of Fire Storm?” she questioned. Davis though he did not mean too overheard her just barely, “If I mention him, tell them...how much it will change my life? I don't want to be hounded by the fact that I am the sister of the source of fire storm. I hate naturals for what they have done to dad, to Tai, to you and I'm afraid of what those who lost relatives or friends in Fire Storm may do to me, may do to you if they discover I'm Fire Starter Tai Kamiya's little sister,” she was silent for a while, “...But...If I can ease the suffering of hundreds of other Gifted world wide, then maybe, just maybe, the consequences will worth baring.” She looked downward towards the floor, “Tai was always so brave, in the digital world he showed so much bravery and even when he became a Gifted his courage did not concede to his fear. Tai, my brother was said to be a born leader and he was never one to let someone else make his decisions for him. His life was his own and he gave it to no one but himself, but he was willing to place it in harm's way to protect others,” she was silent once more and raised her head, “Now that I think about it...Tai didn't go into a rage until after you were hit by Pure Blood. He I guess when he saw you and probably even a glance of me he went into a rage to protect you and...me...his family,” she blinked slowly and gave off a brave expression, “He was almost like a sacrifice and his life may be lost but he showed many people what happens when you enrage a slumbering beast…I know...I know what I must do, my burdens may increase and I may ended like Tai someday, but...if I can help ease the suffering of my follow gifted then so be it. I will accept the responsibly and the burdens that come with it,”
 
“Kari...” Davis whispered under his breathe.
 
“I'm going mom, but I'll be back soon for another visit. Hopefully when you wake up the world will be a safer place for Gifted and for us and we can try to get our lives back together,” She then took a deep breath and left the room, “I'm ready to go Davis, let's go, Find Detective Jin-sin,”
 
Looked at her proudly and smile, “Alright,”
 
The two went to the parking lot and joined Detective Jin-sin who was waiting. There Kari spoke with the detective and gave him her answer...
 
“So you'll do it?” Jin-sin asked.
 
“Yes on two conditions,” Kari replied bravely holding up two fingers.
 
“And those are,” Jin-sin asked.
 
“First, I request to be able to speak to the city council on the event personally, because it goes far deeper than what you know, second is I...” she started. She looked a back at her friend and smiled at him, “I want Davis to be allowed to accompany me. I would like him to be at my side when I speak,”
 
“HUH! Yo...you what!” Davis replied surprisingly.
 
Jin-sin giggled at Davis reaction, “I see well then I'll make the arrangements. Until then, however...” he said with a bit of smile, “…I'll be counting on you to keep her out of trouble's eye,” he said looking at Davis who was still shocked by Kari's second condition.
 
“Huh...uh yeah of course no problem,” Davis replied smiling with his hand behind his back, `Good thing it's spring break. It should be cake to talk parents into letting me go,' he thought.
 
“While then it'll be getting dark soon so let's get you two back to your families,” Jin-sin said kindly unlocking his car
 
Davis opened the back seat door for Kari and she got in and he climbed in next to her and closed the door. Once buckled in Jin-sin drove off from the hospital. They drove down the streets as dusk turned to night and upon at arriving at the apartment building where the Takenouchi family lived. Davis walked Kari up to their apartment and the stood with her before the door.
 
“Thanks for what did today Davis,” Kari replied, “I owe you a lot,”
 
“Hey don't mention it, but Kari why do you want me to accompany you to the meeting Monday,” he asked curiously. She gave a reply, “Kari...”
 
“While I'd better be getting inside, Mrs. Takenouchi might be worried about me, and you should hurry up and get back down stairs if you want that ride home from the detective,” she replied, “Well, goodnight Davis,” she then walked up and kissed him quickly on the cheek and then ran inside blushing.
 
Davis stood on the porch stunned with disbelief. He touched his recently kissed cheek, “YEAH!!' he yelled out joyfully. He returned to the park lot where detective Jin-sin was waiting in his car. He got in and they drove off not noticing the shadowy figure sitting on a white motorcycle hiding between two large vans.
 
Kari was greeted welcomingly by her guardians and she spoke to Professor Takenouchi informing him of her meeting with Jin-sin and what she had chosen to do. Kari slept peacefully that night undisturbed for the first time since her brother's death. So peacefully that she didn't hear the window open and an unexpected figure to entered the room and kneeled down next to her.
 
He touched her hand gently, “I'm glad you're doing well, Kari. I know it must be difficult for you, but hang in there a little longer we'll be together again someday...I promise...” the Figure stood up and smiled the hood to his black cloak hiding all of his face but his mouth.
 
“Aren't you going to say something to me too?” a voice asked innocently and lovingly.
 
The figure turned around and their sitting on her bed in her white night gown, her bare feet touching the floor, her sun golden eyes shining beautifully in the dark and strings of golden light circling her body.
 
“Sora! I didn't mean to wake you,”
 
“It's alright I don't mind. One of the benefits of having these ears is that I can hear a lot better than others lately,” Sora replied innocently and kindly, “I had a dream you survived and that you returned to us, but I take you're not planning to stay are you?”
 
“You forget I'm not supposed to be alive,” he answered, “Besides he hasn't deemed worthy enough to return yet. He says I still need bit training,”
 
“Who's he and how did you survive?”
 
“It's a long story one I'd like to tell all of my friends someday, but for now I must remain a secret,”
 
“I missed you more then you know. The thought of having lost you tortured me. Having lost my childhood friend to his own flames of rage hurt too much bear. I'm glad to see that you're alright,” she cried walking up to him and hugging him. He hugged her back.
 
“I'm sorry I worried you, but please...don't tell her I still live,”
 
“I won't one condition,” she said, “You have to promise me you'll return to us someday and soon,”
 
“I promise, now I have to go before she wakes up and sees me, take care of her for me will you,”
 
“I will and be careful,” she said giving a quick kiss on the cheek.
 
“I will goodbye, Sora,” he then climbed back out of the window and jumped to the ground landing firmly on his feet and vanished into the bushes. She watched him as he vanish and smiled happily as she saw cloaked figure drive down the street on a white motorcycle. In the dark of the night, `Remember, you promised, and I'll be holding up to that promise,'