Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Tears of the Gifted ❯ Chapter II: Hidden Pain ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Tears of the Gifted
Chapter II: Hidden Pain
 
Noon and Kari sat in her room on her folded-away bed glancing at her roommate and good friend, Sora sitting in a chair in a corner of the room near a window. With her sketch book in hand and lags crossed Kari slowly drew what she saw; a beautiful elven girl in a light yellow dress that reached down to her ankles, a white cloak outlined in gold its hood hanging behind her revealing her beautiful sun golden hair, her right hand carefully holding the golden strap that held the cloak gently around her neck, her elven ears in full show, her sun golden eyes peering out the window as strings of golden light circled about her.
 
“You've been at this since I got back from my walk this morning aren't you done yet? I think my body's starting to go numb,” Sora said calmly.
 
“Just a few more touches,” Kari replied. She drew with care and skill in her peach skirt with sleeveless shirt attached, “Just a bit more...and...there!” she place her pencil into her small purse at her side, “All done,” she walked over to Sora and showed it too her.
 
“Wow! This is amazing, are you going to color it in?” Sora asked friendly.
 
“Later on, yes,” Kari replied smiling. She went back and sat down on her bed.
 
“Kari, forgive me for asking, but aren't you nervous about tomorrow?” Sora asked curiously, “I mean you have to speak before the city council and I heard the Prime Minster will even be their as while as several other delegates from the United Nations.” Kari went silent and lowered her head. “Oh...I'm sorry I didn't mean to bring up unwanted feelings.”
 
“It's alright,” Kari replied friendly. “I know it's not going to be easy, but it's just something I have to do. I know I'll be able to speak tomorrow, especially since Davis agreed to go with me.”
 
“Why did you want Davis to accompany you?” Sora asked curiously. “I mean he isn't exactly the most well mannered person. Wouldn't TK or Ken have been a better choice?”
 
“Neither TK, nor Ken, nor anyone else was there for me while I wallowed in my grief and my talks with you weren't really much help, especially since we rarely spoke,” Kari explained. She held her knees and closed her eyes, “I had hoped it would be TK who would come, but after two weeks of waiting he never showed. It was Davis who came to me, it was he who protected me, it was he who comforted me, held me, and made the promise to always be there for me.”
 
“He made a promise like that! Are we talking about the same Davis Motomiya?”
 
“These were his words and I'll always remember them,” she said kindly and lovingly. “`I know, I'm not Tai, but I'll do everything I can to protect you. To always be there for you.' this he promised me as held me in his arms and let me cry on his chest, and when I could cry no longer he dried my remaining tears and took me to my mother; where I was able to gather the courage and strength needed to make the decision I made.” She looked out the window, “He's changed, for some reason and I really don't care to know why? Whatever the reason I a have feeling he'll tell me on his own...someday.”
 
Sora looked at her with an innocent loving smile, “Sounds to me your feelings of friendship or becoming something greater.”
 
“I think you're right,” Kari replied. She turned to her friend with a smile, “Hey Sora...”
 
“Yes...”
 
“Please don't tell anyone about this. I'd whether TK not find out. It'll only cause problems... problems I'd rather not have to deal with right now.”
 
“Sure, you have my word.”
 
“Thank you,” Kari said kindly.
 
A ringing came from the living room and Mrs. Takenouchi answered it, “Hello...yes she's here, certainly. Kari! Phone!”
 
“Who is it?” Kari asked loudly.
 
“It's Davis!”
 
“Davis...I wonder what he's calling for?” Sora said smiling slyly and curiously.
 
Kari blushed and then ran to the kitchen and took the phone from her guardian, “Hello...Davis what is it...What! Oh no I forgot! When is it coming in? TODAY! Yes I'll come...you'll be here when...alright I'll be ready. I'll see if Sora wants to go too, bye.” She hung up the phone and then ran back to her room.
 
“Sounds like he asked you out,” Sora said innocent smile.
 
“Yes and no,” Kari replied smiling, “Mimi's plane is coming in today and Yolei and her family or having a small welcoming party for her. Davis wanted to know if I wanted to go. Yolei and her mother have already picked up Mimi and are on their way back. Do you wanna come? I'm sure Mimi would love to see you?”
 
Sora shook her head, “Tomorrow's meeting is important, and since Anti-gifted groups are doing everything they can to reduce Gifted's chances of being accepted, cloak on or not I'll be an immediate target. Besides Matt's likely to be there and I'd rather not see him.”
 
“What's been going with you and Matt? You two started out so well,” Kari asked as she brushed her hair in front of the mirror on Sora's vanity between their two beds.
 
“It's nothing that should concern you. It's something the two of us have to work out on our own,”
 
“Alright.” Kari replied friendly, putting on a white coat swatter she picked from the closet, “But you know anyone who's willing and cable of looking beyond the fact that you're a Gifted would see that your one of the most beautiful people they'll ever see.”
 
“Thank you Kari. I only wish Naturals could see me as you and the others do,” Sora said kindly but sadly.
 
“I'm sure they will someday,” Kari replied innocently she put on her shoes and grabbed her small purse. “While I'm going to wait for Davis downstairs, is there anything you want me to tell Matt today?”
 
“Yes, thank you for asking,” she replied. She was silent for a moment. “Tell him I wish to be left alone today and that I'll see him tomorrow for my usual walk to the park at dawn.”
 
“Alright, I'll tell him and I'll be sure to tell Mimi you said hi,”
 
Sora watched her as she walked out the door and then looked down at the ground in sadness, “Kari...I hope whatever relationship you get involved in is a happy and...harmless one...” she said as she touched a light burn mark on her left arm, “My dear childhood friend...please come back to us soon, we need you...I need you.”
 
Kari stood leaning against the wall with her eyes closed just next to the elevator. Fifteen minutes passed when a familiar voice called to her...
 
“Hey Kari, hope I didn't it keep you waiting,”
 
She opened her eyes, “Davis,” she said shaking her head and smiling happily, “Not at all,”
 
“Shell we go, Yolei and her mom will have Mimi at their place within half an hour,”
 
“Then we'd better be going,” Kari said kindly.
 
The two set off towards Yolei's walking side by side nervous of what to say to each other.
 
“So...how's your shoulder?” she asked.
 
“It's healing great...thanks to you,”
 
“Did you get a real bandage for it?”
 
“Yeah when I got home yesterday my mom patched it up,” he replied kindly, “Which reminds me,” he reached into his pocket and pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to her, “Here's your handkerchief back, thanks letting me use it.”
 
“You're welcome,” she said taking it and placing into her purse.
 
The two went silent once again, glancing at one another every now and then. As he walked beside her strings of fire began to circle his body, `Weird, I've always had a crush on her, but I've never really been this nervous around her. Could I be...no...how could I be?' he glanced at her from the corner of his eye for a moment and then looked away towards the ground, `Kari...you're in a worse position than I am...do I really have the right to be with you. Maybe I should...no...I made a promise...and if I break it she might...she might do what Jun did...I ignored Jun's suffering and focused my attention on Kari just so I could ignore it. I can't ignore Kari, I won't ignore her, I won't let her end up like Jun,' he thought sadly. He looked towards the ground his hands in his pockets and a sorrowful look on his face.
 
“Your powers are active, what's wrong?” Kari asked with concern, “You look so sad now,”
 
“Kari...I'll do everything in my power to protect you,”
 
She looked at him, “I know you'll keep your promise to me and I put all my trust in you because I know you will not go back on it,”
 
“Kari...thank you,” he replied with a smile, `I don't deserve your trust or your affection, but if I betray you now. If I leave and ignore you now you might...no I won't let you become like Jun, I refuse to let you.'
 
They continued to walk towards Yolei's, ignoring the outlandish comments and hateful glares thrown at them by anti-gifted Naturals as they passed by. Davis's powers settled and vanished from view as they approached Yolei's. They went straight to her family's apartment and knocked. The door was opened and they were shown in by Yolei's father. Inside they were greeted by Yolei's two older sisters who were still preparing snacks and one of their close friends.
 
“Hey, look whose finally come out into the open! Kari Kamiya and Davis Motomiya!” a twelve year old boy with dyed straight black hair that went no further than his neck, leafy green eyes, dark green bottomed shirt, and black jeans and shoes, “About time you showed you're faces!”
 
“Hey Ken, so how's your family like their new apartment?” Davis asked with Ken's arm around his neck in a friendly manner.
 
“Since we only moved in yesterday we're still settling in, but things are going pretty smoothly so far. There are quite few other Gifted in the apartment building we live in now and the land lord's Pro-gifted! So that takes care of any fears of having our rent jacked up,”
 
“Glad to hear there's some hope for us. It's not much but it's a start,” Davis said. He looked at Ken and especially his hair. “I see your still dyeing you hair black. Honesty Ken why don't leave it alone.”
 
“Hey, how times do I have to tell me and green hair don't mix. Have you ever seen me with Gifted hair color, it's a pretty site,” Ken joked. “But enough about me, where have you been hiding yourself for past week. I know Kari's excuse, but what's yours?”
 
“I've just had a lot of things on my mind,” Davis said seriously but sadly, “Things...ah...I'd rather not talk about,” he said removing Ken's arm.
 
“Cool with me, so Kari how have you been?” Ken asked with concern.
 
“I'm doing ok, Mr. and Mrs. Takenouchi are taking really good care of me, and thanks to Davis, I'm able to deal with my brother's death and mother's coma a bit better. It still hurts when I think about though, but not as much it used to.”
 
“So let me get this straight. Davis got up, went to you and comforted you. Are you sure it was him and not a robot because that doesn't sound like the Davis I know?” Ken said smartly.
 
“A lot's happened to me since Fire Storm and again I don't want to talk about it so don't ask,” Davis said seriously.
 
“Ok ok I get it,” Ken said.
 
“Hey Ken, where's everyone else?” Kari asked.
 
“Matt for some reason chose not to come, TK's in the bathroom and everyone else went with Yolei and her mom to pick up Mimi from the airport,” Ken explained, “I would have gone too, but for some reason Mr. Inoue thinks I'm Yolei's boyfriend and wouldn't let me leave. He keeps asking a butch of questions that I didn't really have answers too.”
 
“Well with the way you and Yolei act around each other you might as while be her boyfriend.” Davis said smartly when Kari suddenly grabbed his hand.
 
“Davis, I'm a little tired from the walk, so I'm going to go sit down,” she said innocently.
 
“Alright sure,” Davis agreed kindly.
 
She walked to the couch when a familiar filled shock and surprise suddenly echoed throughout her ear.
 
“Kari!”
 
She turned around and there she saw a face that had not seen since the death of brother. Standing near the hall he looked at her with shock, a young man no older than her with short earth-brown hair in a ponytail, dark brown eyes, short sleeved brown shirt, black pants, and a pair of brown sneakers. He stood gazing at her as if she'd come back from the dead, as strings of earthy-brown light and rock circled his body.
 
Kari looked at him with a friendly, but sad smile and then turned a way as she spoke, “Hello TK...it's good to...see you again.”
 
“Kari...you're out of your room. I tried calling you on the phone but Mrs. Takenouchi said you didn't want to talk to anyone,”
 
“Because I didn't,” Kari replied with disappointment.
 
“I tried to call you yesterday as while, to try and tell you about Mimi's welcoming party but you weren't home,” TK replied, “Where did you go?”
 
“It's none of your business where I was TK,” she replied sadly backing up towards Davis.
 
Davis walked up to her and touched her shoulder, “Kari, you said you were tired, why don't you sit down and rest.”
 
“Thank you, I'll do that,” she replied. She looked at TK with eyes anger and sorrow and then sat down on the couch. Davis and TK looked at each with competing glances of rivalry. Davis shook his head and sat down next to Kari.
 
Ken looked at Kari and then at TK, `I see...Kari was probably expecting TK to comfort her, but he never showed and Davis did. I don't know what happened yesterday, but it scored Davis some major points with Kari. But...I feel there's something bothering him. I can see it in his eye. I wonder if Kari's noticed it yet,' he thought he looked Kari, `Kari said Davis went to her, if that's true then what ever happened over the past week caused a major change in personality.' He went and sat down next to Davis.
 
TK looked at Kari and then at Davis who she sat unusually close to, `She probably feels like I betrayed her, but...I tried to reach her didn't I.' he sat down near her but received only silence.
 
Time passed and finally Yolei and the others arrived. They entered the apartment with Joe, Cody and Izzy carrying Mimi's many bags to her new room with the Inoues. Yolei entered after them with a girl of fourteen, with light blue hair, sea blue eyes, a tight blue skirt and a light blue shirt and carrying a bouquet of flowers.
 
“Mimi!” Kari cried happily she got up and hugged her. “It's good to see you again, welcome back.”
 
“It's good to be back...with my good friends,” Mimi said friendly. The two separated holding hands. “I'm sorry about Tai, does it still hurt?”
 
“Yes, whenever I think about it. So if it's alright I'd like to keep that topic out of conversation,”
 
“Of course, but if it's alright I'd like to pay a visit to the site of Fire Storm and pay my respects to Tai, that's why I brought these flowers here,” Mimi said.
 
“That shouldn't be a problem, should it mom?” Yolei asked kindly.
 
“Not at as long we go before it gets dark,” Mrs. Inoue said.
 
“It's going to be a while before then. So until then let's party!” Yolei yelled.
 
With that the party began, they ate shacks, talked, danced and just had as much fun as they possibly could. Mimi drowned herself in conversation catching up with her friends when she noticed two of them were missing.
 
“Hey where's Sora and Matt?” Mimi asked.
 
“I don't know Matt's reason, but he's not here and as for Sora, she just didn't want to come. She doesn't want to go anywhere nowadays. She's changed a lot more than us, I'm sure you've heard,” Kari replied.
 
“Yes I did, she told over phone chats,” Mimi said holding a tone of worry all of sudden, “as well as other things.” She went silent, “I think I'll call her real quick and she's how she's doing. Where's the phone?”
 
“In the kitchen,” Yolei answered.
 
Mimi got up and walked to the kitchen while Kari and Yolei continued to converse unaware of Davis who stood watching Kari from across the room near the balcony's sliding glass door as strings of fire circled his body.
 
He later slipped outside onto the balcony closing the door behind him. His eyes scanning over the city while he leaned against the balcony rail, “Kari, so much has happened to her, yet she has the strength to endure it all,” he said to himself sadly. “Jun...I never...I never thought I'd miss you so much,” he gripped his fist with anguish and sorrow. “If only I had paid more attention to you, then maybe I might have been able to...”
 
“Might have been able to what...” a familiar said.
 
Davis turned around and there standing behind him was his good friend, “Ken! How long have you been there?”
 
“Long enough,” Ken replied kindly but seriously. “You know I really did find it strange that, YOU, of all people would go and comfort a friend like that. Especially Kari and all this time I thought you only had a silly schoolboy's crush on her,” Ken smiled friendly, but maturely. “But now I see, little Davis has grown up over the passed year and I take it you're, disappearance, for the week has something to do with your sudden change in character,”
 
“What of it?” Davis replied bitterly as he turned his back to him.
 
“So, tell me, what happened to Jun...to your sister?” Ken asked kindly. Davis gave him a silent reply and turn to him. “Well whatever it was, it caused you to change dramatically and for better I'd say, but you know...” he turned his back to Davis. “It's not always a good idea keep your sorrows locked away inside your heart. Because when you do, your heart becomes frozen, and cold, and you start hurting others around, even those you love the most,” Davis remained silent gripping the rail of the balcony. “Well if you want to talk about it my ear is always open. After all I know how it feels to lose a sibling,” he started to open the sliding glass door.
 
“Wait!” Davis spoke coldly with struggle, “Jun...she...I...that is my parents and I...returned home from my examination at Dr. Kaito's clinic. I went to Jun's...room to tell her to come to dinner, but she never answered. I knocked again but still no answer came. I opened the door and Jun...she was...”
 
“I see...I get it, you don't have to tell me anymore,” Ken said wisely and kindly as he closed the door.
 
“I ignored her; I focused all of my attention on helping Kari through her problems, just so I wouldn't have to think about it. I thought about Jun, all last week. No matter what I did I couldn't ignore the pain. I know we never really got along, but...” Davis said sadly holding back his tears.
 
“But she was still your sister and despite how you fought you still loved her deep down inside. I know the feeling of regret, the regret of never truly letting them know how you feel. I felt the same way when my older brother Sam died all those years ago,” Ken explained wisely but kindly, “You know, you and Kari have something in common. You don't like pushing your problems unto other people. You guys prefer to hide them, to bottle them up inside and never let them go, but you guys don't have too .You have friends who want to help you, but can't if you don't open up to us. I know there's more to your story then what you told me, but you don't need to tell me. You need to tell Kari, when you're ready,”
 
“Kari…she has her own problems I can't bother her with mine,” Davis said sadly, “I made a promise to her. I promised I would be there for her, and that is a promise I can't break for any reason.”
 
“You wouldn't be bothering her with your problems, the two of you would sharing your problems and getting through them together. But you know, I think that promise is all she really cares about right now. She has a big day tomorrow. I don't know if you're aware of it, but knowing you'll be there for her, gives her the strength and courage needed to move on,” Davis was silent as he leaned against the rail. Ken touched his shoulder and looked at him with a friendly smile, “Listen, you can't keep you're troubles locked away forever, but it is up to you to speak when ready and I'm sure by the time your ready Kari's ear will be more than opened,”
 
“Thanks Ken,” Davis replied thankfully as his powers vanished from view and the sliding glass door opened behind them. The two of them turned and laid eyes on the figure standing there, “Kari...what is it.”
 
“If it's alright with you Davis, I'd like to go now. Mimi's getting ready to leave for the site of Fire Storm and I liked to go too. Mrs. Inoue said she'll take us and I'd like you come with me if it's alright.”
 
“I made you a promise remember, so if you want me to come I will.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
She and Davis went back inside and Ken watched them as Yolei came out onto the balcony, “So what did you find out?” she asked smiling slyly, but friendly while leaning on his shoulder.
 
“I found out, that Davis Motomiya's little crush on Kari has transferred into one of most precious things on Earth,” Ken answered passionately.
 
“Those two...who know, but you know TK's not out of it yet,”
 
“I have to disagree; Kari and Davis now care for each more than they show, but only because they miss their siblings so much. They're using each other as replacements. Davis is focusing his attention on Kari because of what Jun did to herself and Kari has placed so much faith and trust into Davis because he reminds her of Tai. They already know this, it's just up to them to reveal it to each other and then begin helping each other with their true feelings,” Ken explained.
 
“When did you get be so wise?” Yolei asked taking his arm as she wiped her light blue hair from her glasses covered eyes.
 
“To tell you truth I have no idea, I guess we've all done a little growing up since we discovered our powers. Even Davis,”
 
Kari and Davis walked with their friends to the elevator that would take them to the parking lot. Not noticing the cloaked figure watching them from down the hall with a smile on his face.
 
“Looks like she's well taken care of. Now...I can do my part without worry. I just hope trouble will steer clear of the meeting tomorrow, but that may be asking too much. I have a bad feeling about tomorrow, but I have to focus on my training if I'm to return before the summer.”