Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Takato Files - "Mirror Mirror" ❯ Goodbye, Hello...err, Hello, Goodbye ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

THE TAKATO FILES:
"Mirror Mirror"

By:
Maniacal Matt***************************************************************
DIS CLAIMER: I don't own Digimon, or any other show for that matter. No copyright infringement is intended. Any show/characters mentioned here is copyrighted by their respective owners, any celebrities mentioned here are...the celebrities' own properties. Any game shows/movies/books or other copyrighted catchphrases mentioned here are copyrighted by the show's respective owners.
***************************************************************

(A/N: This story takes place in the near future. Takato, Henry, Kazu, Kenta and the other kids are starting high school, while Suzie moves on to err...I don't even know how old she is. Anyways, they're in high school, so they have to put up with those itchy uniforms with the shirt and tie...)

CHAPTER ONE:

Goodbye, Hello...err, Hello, Goodbye

"Dammit Kazu!" Kenta yelled angrily as he put the navy-blue jacket part of his uniform on. "You weren't at the museum yesterday. I stood and waited at the door for three and a half hours waiting for you, and you didn't show up!"

"C'mon Kenta, you know that isn't the truth! I was in the museum...I guess...we were just at different places. I was in the...uh, the...Ancient Egypt Exhibits. Where were you?" Kazu asked.

"That's funny, I happened to pass by there a couple of times while waiting." Kenta replied.

Kazu gave Kenta a friendly slap on the back. "Hey, c'mon buddy, you and I both know that I'm really serious about passing history this year!"

Kenta sighed and wiped his glasses. "Yeah right." He opened up his agenda and scribbled a few notes down and put in his backpack. "Listen, the assignment's due on Friday, and all we've taped so far is that footage of four security guards chasing you 'cause you tripped some damn alarm!"

Kazu took off his jacket and sat down. "We've got plenty of time until Friday rolls around! I mean, today's Monday isn't it?"

"Kazu, you idiot...it's Wednesday!" Kenta snapped. "Be at the museum tomorrow and don't be late! We have 1 day to film something that's worthy of at least a C-...plus, this is your only hope of passing history."

Kazu looked up at Kenta. "No it isn't! I've still got the end-of-the-year exam, don't I?"

"If you don't know half the things we learned in history, the exam won't do anything to bring up your mark!" Kenta hissed.

Kazu raised his right hand, grinned and snickered. "I solemnly swear that I will meet Kenta at the museum tomorrow so we can work on our history project." he tried to stifle his laughter as he said it, but as soon as he finished, he was rolling on the ground laughing.

"I swear Kazu," Kenta said to his friend, "you are the craziest person I know."

"I try my hardest to get on your nerves." Kazu replied, grinning, and slapped Kenta on the back again.

***

Takato Matsuda, a 13 year-old boy with light brown hair sat at a table in the far corner of the library. He rubbed his eyes and forced himself to read over the information in the books he took and take notes. He had 2 nights to finish his report on Ancient Egypt and he was only half-done.

"Jeez, I knew high school was hard, but I never thought it to be this hard." Said Takato. He flipped through the pages of a book, looking for a picture of the Great Pyramid at Giza. Finally, he found a large enough picture of the Pyramid. He took out his sketchbook, but just as he was about to draw, the librarian's voice came over the loudspeaker.

"Attention, it is 4:55. The library will be closing in five minutes. If you plan on taking books out, please bring them to the front desk now." The librarian's voice echoed throughout the library.

"Aw man..." Takato muttered as he put away his paper and pencil. He took his library card out of his pocket and held it in one hand while he tried to carry six huge books in the other.

After much difficulty carrying six heavy books to the front desk, Takato presented his card to librarian.

The librarian took his card, scanned it, and began scanning each book. When she had finished, she stacked all the books up and handed Takato his card.

"These are due in two weeks." She said.

"Thank you." Takato groaned as he tried to lift the books. "I'll be glad when this Ancient Egypt report is over..." he muttered as he left the library.

Takato's house wasn't that far from the library. It was only 3 blocks away, which was a very short walk...but was agonizingly slow with six books in his arms. And because of the books, Takato couldn't really see where he was going, and the next thing he knew, he had bumped into another boy and the two of them were on the ground.

"Sorry about that." Takato said quickly as he began picking up his books.

"I should've been watching where I was going instead of reading. It's my fault, and I'm sorry." The other boy replied.

"Hey wait, I recognize your voice...Henry, is that you?" Takato asked.

"Takato?" Henry asked as well.

"Henry, it's you! I haven't seen you in a long time!" Takato said happily. He was glad he met his old friend once again.

"My family and I moved back to Japan after dad...uh, got in trouble back in Hong Kong." Henry said, sounding slightly embarrassed.

"I hope it was nothing serious." Takato said concernedly.

"No, no...I think he got into an argument with grandma and she, uh, kind of chased us all the way to the airport in a taxi."

"Wow...I kinda just got a mental picture of how it looked like."

"She was waving her cane in the air and yelling at the top of her lungs..." Henry sighed. "She caused quite a commotion at the airport."

Takato laughed quietly. "Oops, sorry. I didn't mean to poke fun at your family or anything..." He said quickly.

Henry smiled. "Nah, it's okay...it was pretty funny the way she yelled at the security guards and smacked one with her cane."

"That must've been funny." Takato replied.

"Here, let me help you with some of those books." Henry offered, grabbing 3 books.

"Thanks." Takato said as he picked up the remaining books.

"So, do you still live in the same house you lived in 3 years ago?" Henry asked, not sure which direction to go.

"Yep." Takato replied.

And with that, the two boys walked down the street to Takato's house.

***

The next morning, while walking to school together, Takato and Henry met up with Kazu and Kenta. They both exchanged greetings and proceeded to walk to school.

"Our project's going to be the best one in the class!" Kazu boasted.

"Yeah...right." Kenta muttered as he walked beside Kazu. "We added some new footage...of Kazu getting bitten by his neighbor's dog."

Takato, Henry and Kazu laughed while Kenta, hands in his pockets, stared at the sidewalk angrily, kicking a small pebble.

Kazu, noticing that the expression on Kenta's face was far from happy, slapped his friend on the back once more.

"Ow! Stop that!" Kenta yelled as he backed away from Kazu.

"C'mon buddy! I mean...cheer up! We'll get this project done and we'll get an A+ for sure!" Kazu said to Kenta, a wide smile on his face.

Kenta turned to face Kazu, his eyes a fiery red with anger. Kazu had never seen Kenta like this before. That was for sure.

"You mean I'LL get this project done and I'LL get an A+!" Kenta fumed. "For TWO whole fucking weeks I've kept on encouraging you to get this project done, and you've always told me you'll do your part the next day, but you end up forgetting about it! TWO WEEKS!! We've had TWO WEEKS to finish the project, but you haven't done a thing!!!!!"

"That's not true! I've been looking over several books, drawing some pictures, taking down some notes--" Kazu retorted.

"Pictures that are so badly drawn you can't tell if it's a fucking dead body or if it's the pharaoh's wife! Notes with so many spelling and grammatical errors, it's so different from the original text!" Kenta replied, sounding even more angry than before. "I'll finish the project myself! Go and slack off for all I care! I've tried to help you so you wouldn't fail, yet you don't do anything to help yourself!"

"Now you've just gone too far! More than half of what you just said are lies!" Kazu said, starting to get angry as well.

"No they're not! Unlike you, I don't lie that much!"

"You're lying right now!"

"No I'm not!"

"Yes you are!"

"No I'm not!"

The two started pushing each other, which then escalated to shoving. The two then began throwing punches at each other, and soon, the two of them were on the ground, choking on another.

"You coast through life, make messes, and get people like me to clean up after you!" Kenta shouted as he punched Kazu in the face once more.

Meanwhile, Henry and Takato both tried to pry Kenta off of Kazu, but Kenta stayed put.

"Kenta! Not only are people giving us weird looks, but you're hurting one of your closest friends!" Henry yelled as he tugged on Kenta's arm.

"He's no longer a friend of mine! Stay out of this Mr. Philosophy!" Kenta replied.

What Kenta had just declared shocked Takato, Henry, Kazu...and Kenta himself.

"He isn't?" Takato asked, clearly surprised and shocked.

"No..." Kenta replied, "he isn't."

Kenta quickly got up, brushed the dust off his sleeve, straightened his tie and walked away.

"That was definitely not the Kenta I once knew." Henry said.

"Of course it isn't, you idiot!" Kazu yelled at Henry. "Kenta's turned into some selfish, power-hungry, a...rog...gint snob!"

Kazu got up as well and walked away.

"This...is not good." Henry muttered.

"You got that right. And wasn't that s'posed to be 'arrogant?'" Said Takato.