Doctor Who Fan Fiction ❯ Doctor Who and Start Of It All ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Once Ian and Barbara reached the car Susan was a block down from the school. Not wonting to lose her they jump into the car.Once they caught up Ian turned the head lights off and slowly drove down Totters Lane. In the passenger set Barbara turned to face Ian, 'Park the car over there.' she pointed to a space in-front of a small shop. 'We'll have a good view of the gates.We don't wont her to see us'
Ian smiled at Barbara's Bossiness. He obediently put the car into park, he put on the hand brakes and switched off the engine.'You better hope she dosen't! sitting in a park car would be hard to explain'

'Luckily, the fog isn't to bad like a few weeks ago, or I wouldn't of found this place myself again.'
Pulling her coat collar higher around her neck, she said hesitantly, 'I suppose we are doing the right thing - right'
'You mean it's hard to justify our idle curiosity'
'But her homework'
'Thats just an excuse really, isn't it? The truth is Barbara, we're both curious about Susan. to tell you the truth and we won't be happen until we know some answers.'

'You can't just pass it off like that! If I thought I was being a busybody, I'd go straight home. I thought you'd agree that there was something very mysterious about her?'

Ian yawned. It wasn't like he didn't share Barbara's concern earlier he was just starting to dell increasingly doubtful about the whole thing. 'I guess I did...Still. There must be a perfectly good example to explain it all'
'Well...'Said Ian rather feebly. 'To began with she has an IQ near that of a genius. I imagine'
'And what about the gaps? the things she doesn't know'
'Maybe be only concentrates on what catches her interest, and ignores the rest.'

'That isn't good enough, Ian! How do you explain that a very intelligent teenage girl doesn't know how many shilling there are in a pound.'

Ian couldn't help but stare at her with surprise.'Really'
Barbara just nodded, remembering. Back when Susan hadn't even seemed put out at the ridiculous mistake.
'I'm sorry, Miss. Wright. I just though you were on the decimal system now'
'Don't be ridiculous, Susan.The United States and European Countries have that systems.And you know perfectly well we are not.'

Susan seemed to frown for a moment the said, 'of course, it hasn't happened yet.You'll change in a few years.'

Ian just looked at Barbara with a look of astonishment.'decimal system, in England? Ha! That will be the day! i guess she' must be a foreigner. There's just something about the way she talks

'Oh Ian, admit it. It dosn't make sense'
'No, I guess it doesn't. Ian agreed. 'Nothing about her makes sense. You know, the other day I was hand out papers while talking about chemical changes. I'd given them a litmus paper to show the cause and effect.' 'Let me guess she knew all the answers before you even got started. Right'
'Yes, but theres more. She knew the answers alright. But they just didn't interest her.'

Ian could see Susan now, looking up at him. 'Yes, I can see red turns to blue, Mr. Chesterton, but thats because we are dealing with two inactive chemicals. They only act in relation to one another.
'Thats the whole point of the experiment'
'Yes, I know. But...it's a bit obvious, isn't it? I'm not trying to be rude, but couldn't we at lest deal with two active chemicals. Then the red could turn blue all by itself, while got on to something more interesting.' She sighed. 'I'm sorry, it was just an idea.'


------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------


(In the early 1960, Britain was sticking with a complicated monetary system. Four farthings, or two halfpennies to the penny, twelve pence to the shilling and twenty shilling to the pound. So I don't know what it is in American money)