Doctor Who Fan Fiction ❯ Doctor Who and Start Of It All ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Returning to the present. Ian said, 'She meant it, These simple experiments are child's play to her. It's so maddening.' I know how you feel. Its to the point where I want to trip her up'
'Something else happened in math the other day,' said Ian. 'I'd set the class a problem, an question using A,B, and c as three dimensions...'
Ian look of to the side and though back to the scene in the classroom. Susan had been standing at the blackboard, studying the equation. 'It's impossible to do it using just A, B and C,' she protested. 'You have to use D and E as well.' 'D and E? What for? Please do the problem that I set, Susan'
There had been desperation in Susan's voice. "I can't. You can't work using only three of the dimensions'
'Three dimensions? Oh, the fourth being Time, I guess. But what do you need E for? What do you make the fifth dimension'
'Space,' said Susan.

When Ian finished telling Barbara about the incident, he looked despairingly at Barbara. 'Somehow I got the impression that she thinks Time and Space being much the same thing - as if you could travel in one just as well you could the other'
'So many questions, and not enough answers'
'So, said Ian summing up. 'We have a fifteen-year old girl who's brilliant at some things and very bad at others.

Barbara reach over and touched Ian on the arm. 'There she is!' Outside the junk yard, Susan was hurrying along the street . She paused for a moment, looked around as she pushed the entry-gate doors open enough for her to fit through, the disappeared inside.
'Shouldn't we be following her in there to? I'd hate to think of her alone in there'
'That is if she is alone'
'Look, she's fifteen. She might be meeting up with her boyfriend. Didn't that occur to you?
Barbara just laughed. 'I would hope so, that would be normal'
She looked uneasily at the junk yard. 'I know it's silly, but I feel frightened. As if we are about to interfere with something that should be left alone.'

Ian fished out his touch from the glove compartment and opened his car door. 'Come on lets get this over with!' Once Barbara was out of the car they crossed the street to the junk yard. Barbara hesitated. 'Do you feel something' 'I take things as they come,' said Ian happily as he pushed the gates open 'Come on.' Even in the semi-darkness, they could make out the tiny yard it was so cluttered there wasn't any room to move about. Ian had jumped when his torch flashed across an old broken shop dummy.
At first the though it was a human from the shape and shadow but once he finally realized what it was he muttered 'What a Mess. I not searching through this lot to find her!'He took a few steps forward and stepped on a piece of loose rubble, twisting his foot right out from under him, he staggered for a second to try and keep his balance, as the torch flew from his hand. As it hit the ground rolling as it flicked off.
'Blast! said Ian savagely.
'Can't you use a match'
'No, I don't have anymore. Oh well.'

Slowly as there eyes got adjusted to the darkness they began to movie cautiously around the yard 'Susan?' Barbara called out . 'Susan, are you there'
No answer 'Susan, it's Miss Wright and Mr Chesterton' shouted Ian. 'Susan!' but there wasn't a reply as Ian peered around in the gloom. 'She couldn't have gone far with us knowing, this place is to small.

Barbara walked forward and saw something loom out of the darkness in front of her. She called over her shoulder as she pointed to it. 'Look at this, a police box. I wonder why it's here? Usually they stand on street corners.'

Ian reached out and patted it . 'It seems solid enough.' He as reach forward to try to open he snatched his hand back.
'Whats the matter'
'Feel it .'

Barbara hesitantly reach out and place her hand on to the police box only to remove it again. 'there's some kind of faint vibration.'Ian nodded, 'It feels-alive...' He walked around the police box, reappearing a the front. 'Well, it's not connected to anything-unless it's through the floor.'

Barbara backed away. The police box had made her feel uneasy. 'Look, I've had enough of this. Let's just go and find a policeman, tell him we think Susan is missing. They might be able to search for her properly.

'All right.' Ian paused turning he around as he heard the gate creak open. There was the sound of coughing, and a couple of faint voices. 'Some-ones there.'

Ian could make out two cloaked figures advancing through the gloom. 'No, it isn't. Quick behind here' he pulled Barbara behind a pile of old broken furniture pieces and they ducked down out of site.

As the dark shapes drew nearer, it reveal an old man and a young looking blonde girl. The man was pale he looked like he was a tall man before his age took a turn on his body as his body bent at the waist, dress in an old suit gray with his fur hat and cape which was wrapped around him to keep him warm. The young looking woman was tall be not to much with long blonde hair that was up in a beautiful French Braid with the long rope hanging over her shoulder and down the front of her white long flowing dress, her cap was covering some of her hair but not much as it hung down her back limply.
At first Ian couldn't take his eyes off the girl as the man was muttering something to her as he went up to the police box, fishing out a key from his pocket and opening the door he let the woman in first after he kissed her on the cheek.

To the astonishment of the watchers, a young voice came from inside. 'there you Grandfather, grandmother!'

'Did you hear that. That sounded like that first voice sounded like Susan's 'Shh!' said Ian warning, but it was too late. The old man seemed to hear them he pushed the woman in slamming the door in her face as he whirled around.

Deciding he might as well the best of it, Ian rose to his feet from where he was, 'Excuse me?
The old looked at him in surprise,
'What are you doing here'
'We are looking for a girl'
'We?' questioned the old man.
Barbara then too emerged from hiding place to stand next to Ian. 'Good evening.' The old man began to study them for a moment. His face was lined with wrinkles from old age but form some one old he looked somehow alert and vital at the same time. His eyes blazed with fierce intelligence, and a commanding beak nose which gave his features an arrogant,aristocratic air.
'What do you wont'
'We are looking for one of our students that goes by the name Susan Foreman. She came in to this yard a few moments ago.

'Really? In here? Are you sure' There was condescending skepticism in his voice, like he was talking to an imaginative child.
Barbara seemed to be stunned before she firmly replied 'Yes, we are. We saw her from across the street.'

'One of there students,' the man muttered to himself be giving a slit chuckle 'Not the police man, then'
Ian was shocked and alarmed by the half-heard words. Why was the man worried about the police? 'I beg your pardon'
'Why were you spying on her? who are you? Ian realized he was being put on the defensive. Somehow it was as if he was the one who had to explain his actions.

Barbara stepping up closer as she pointed to the police box. 'We heard a young girl's voice call out to you from it before you pushed the woman you were with into it'
'Your hearing must be very good. I didn't hear anything and what makes you think it wasn't the woman I was talking to? hmmm? you must of imagined it.'

By now Barbara could feel herself getting angry. 'I most certainly did not imagine it and it wasn't the woman you pushed. It was a girls voice!' Deciding Barbara was beyond reason , the old man turned to Ian. 'Now I ask you, young man,' he said smoothly, 'is it reasonable to suppose that anyone would be inside a cupboard like that?

Half thinking the man was made Ian couldn't believe the old man. Ian and Barbara both heard Susan's voice come from inside calling out to her grandfather, but why to her grandmother which neither saw come with the man only the young woman which he pushed inside when he heard them.

Not wonting to say anything about the woman Ian try-ed again once he calmed out his voice, 'Would it therefore be unreasonable to ask you to let us have a look inside? Ian wonted to see if Susan was inside along with the woman who he wonted to have a closer look at.

The old man seemed astonished at the suggestion. He spied a painting, picking it up he began to study it. 'I wonder why I have seen this before. Now, isn't that strange? It's wet and dirty.
'Won't you help us?' Pleaded Barbara. 'We're two of her teachers from Coal Hill School. We saw her come in and we haven't seen he leave. So we got worried'
The old man look up from the painting to Barbara. 'Oh, that's not my business. So I suggest you to leave'
'Not until we know Susan isn't here,' said Ian angrily, 'I don't understand you attitude'
'Well, your won leaves are lot to be desired, young man'
'Will you just open the door?'

The old man turned away and dismiss them. 'There's nothing in there'
'Then why are you afraid to show us?

Turning with his eyes flashing like storm clouds the old man scornfully shouted, 'Afraid!' after he took a breath. 'oh - go away!' he spoke to them as if he was dismissing a child who's arbutuses have finally became tiresome.

By now Ian had enough turning to Barbara, 'Come on, I thing we should go and fetch a police man.' Barbara half turned to see it the old man was effected by the threat.All he did was shrug 'Very well. Do as you please'
'You're coming with us too,' said Ian in exasperation.

The old man just smilies as he sat down in a chair with a broken back with the painting still in his hands. 'Oh? I don't think so. Sorry.' it was a stalemate between the three of them all Barbara could do was look helpless at Ian. 'Its not like we can force him to do anything he dosn't wont to do, he is a grown man.' Ian sighed, 'Well we cant leave him here, he could get away while we are gone. You also forgot he has Susan locked in there.' It was Barbara's turn to sigh, 'We could try the door. Maybe we can force it open.

Looking at the lock Ian noticed it was a slid look. 'Well we can't force it, it has a slid lock and it dosn't have a handle. Maybe it has another lock some where else.
'But that was Susan's voice wasn't it and what about the other woman she's in there too there mustn't be much room for them to breath let alone sit down.

Ian banged on the door but that just seemed to make the old man mad. Not wonting to make the man madder then he was Ian used his knuckles to knock, 'Susan! Susan, we come to help you, Susan!' by now the old man rose up from the chair and walked towards Ian. 'You're being rash. You thought you saw the young girl come her, you imagined she went in there after you so called heard her voice come from in there? Its not very substantial, is it?'

Ian seemed to lose his confidence, making him wonder maybe the man was right. She could of left through a different way behind some of the junk piles. Maybe he did imagine it all looking towards Barbara he noticed she didn't seemed to be put off with the whole thing 'Then why don't you help us? She questioned. 'I'm not Stopping you, go on ahead make fools of yourselves, go on make use with your threat, go find the police man I wont to see your faces when you explain your behavior to him. You can even leave on you behind to watch the gate doors since thats the only way out.

'Fine,' said Ian as he turned to Barbara 'You stay and watch it wont take me long. You can stay in the car to keep warm. They where about to move away when the door police box's door was open and the blonde haired woman stuck her head out.'Doctor are you coming.' She notice the people standing be hind him and waved to them 'hello, I'm...' She never got to finish when the Doctor sprang towards her and the box. 'Close the door!' Barbara thought he was fast with his tigerish speed as he made his way to the box intending to slam it shut. but Ian was quicker as he garb a hold of his arm trying to pull him away, for some one old the man was quite strong, amazingly strong, he almost succeeded in throwing Ian off if Barbara hadn't helped. Somehow all three of them in to the police box - and into the sheer impossibility.