Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Vegeta Reborn, Nerima Style ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Vegeta Reborn, Nerima Style
Chapter 4
Crossover Ranma 1/2 and Dragonball Z/GT
http://ranko.homelinux.net
Afroplex - jwessels@ranko.homelinux.net

Disclaimer: I don't own the Dragonball series or Ranma 1/2 nor their respective characters. Please don't sue me, I'm but a poor citizen of the planet Earth.


Ranma stood out in the hall, holding the familiar buckets. Those two new students appeared interesting, and would be good to find someone different to spare with. But, he shouldn't get too friendly - afterall this was only a temporary stayover during the training journey with his pop. He learned that lesson with his pal Ukyo.

Fifteen minutes passed in peace, and the instructor peered out the door, "You can come back in Ranma. I hope you can be here on time, else I will need to send you to the vice-principal."

Ranma knodded, and vowed to do so to avoid a confrontation with the school's second in command. That vice-principal guy was huge, and had the creepiest eyes that seemed like black holes drilled into his head when someone looked up at him. He also was an assistant at some mental ward, and found ways to drive cold fear into anyone with his stories and how he would deal with troublemakers. On the other hand, if it was the principal, who was an ex-military sergent in the US army during the vietnam war, the punishment usually meant large amounts of physical activities. That Ranma could handle with ease.

Sitting back down, Ranma faced the front of the class, but stayed awake more to observe the two new students than to study the lesson. The Hibiki's also were more interested in learning about those around them than studying. The instructor was just glad they weren't falling asleep in the first place and continued on.

The lunch hour came three hours later, and the room cleared out instantly. Vegeta and Ryoga were confused to what was happening, and made their way out of the room. In the hallway a large crowd was around the cafeteria window.

"Last call for ham and cheese sandwiches!" A few packs of food flew up into the air and snatched up once they were in arms length.

Vegeta smirked, "Looks like a real free for all. Good thing I brought a lunch. What about you Ryoga?"

Ryoga snapped out it, "Huh? Lunch..." He faced the crowd, "Great! I forgot!" Rushing forward, he tried to rush to the front of the students.

"Last call for bread!" The cook threw the final item of the scramble up. Ryoga jumped up, bounded off someone's head and reached out for the piece. The individual that had been late closed in from the side, and they both grabbed the bread at the same time.

"Ranma! Let go! That's my bread!"
"No way dude! I've been go'n here longer, seniority wins!"

Gravity took over and they fell down into the crowd of hungry young men. The two martial artists were overwhelmed by numbers, and the bread was lost from their grasp. Vegeta laughed as the crowd dispersed, earning a glare from Ryoga.

Ranma stood up, "What are ya laughing at?"

Ryoga looked over to Ranma, "I wouldn't tick my brother off, he's stronger than you think. It was your fault though we lost the bread."

Ranma turned, "My fault! You are the one that wouldn't let go, I was there first."

Vegeta smile grew larger, "I still have my lunch, how about a little match amoung the three of us, winner gets to eat." Holding his hand out, "Deal?"

Ryoga and Ranma shook, "Deal." Both were chuckling to themselves, vowing internally not to lose.

//// Behind the school groundkeeper's shed ////

The three squared off in a triangle. Vegeta decided to try something new, and pulled out a new stance that combined some of his past life experience with the Hibiki school. Ryoga took his traditional power based stance, but did notice that his brother was using something new. Ranma had his hand raised in front, lightly standing on his toes to take advantage of his speed.

Ryoga charged toward Ranma first, "Ranma, prepare to lose!"

Ranma dodged to the right, and tripped up on a rock. Vegeta charged forward to take advantage of Ranma's situation, and Ryoga's off balance attack.

From Ranma's perspective, he heard Vegeta yell out and come at the pair. His eyes grew wide as he saw Vegeta charge at a speed he didn't think was possible and barely had a chance to block. Rolling to the side, a kick from Vegeta brushed up against his side. It mearly drove the air out of him, but all the while he was wondering how one got so fast.

Ryoga wasn't watching the exchange, and was just starting to turn around when he felt his legs being kicked out from under him. This happened to send him falling in the direction that Ranma had fallen - and the two ended up in a tangled heap.

Vegeta held out a hand, remembering his previous arrogance was what earned him so few allies - and so many for Goku. "Good match. I see we can learn a lot from each other."

Ranma took hold of the offered hand, "Uh, ya. How'd you get so fast?"

Ryoga got up on his own, "Ya. You had to have some serious speed to reach us from the other side of the clearing. You've never moved that fast."

Vegeta went over to the side where they had put their bags and pulled out his lunch, "Just a little something I learned. I can teach you some things. Ranma seems to know some good speed techniques - maybe we can help each other out."

He and his father had been on their training trip for the past 5 years. Any chance to learn something new was welcome - especially if from someone that could be a friend.

Opening the lunchbox, Vegeta held it forward, "No need though to go hungry entirely, let's share the lunch."

The three ate in silence for a bit, then Ranma thought of something, "Hey, I got an idea."

Ryoga paused munching on some bread, "Hmmm?"

"Lunch is always a battle there you know?" Ranma paused. Vegeta and Ryoga just stared at him. "Anyhow, I was thinking we could compete for the bread and such, but in case one of us doesn't make it in time, we share."

Vegeta took a bite, thinking about the idea, "Sounds ok to me. I suppose in return, the loser has to show a new technique."

Ryoga grumbled, "I don't like the idea of having to share food that I win at lunch, but in return that sounds fair." Chuckling, "I hope you have lots of new things to show me Vegeta and Ranma. I hope you know, they call me the Lunch Marauder."

Ranma cracked his knuckles, "I'll have you know, they call me the Noon Hour Flash."

Vegeta watched the two glare at each other, chuckling. He couldn't help but join in with a manical laugh of his own.

//// END OF THE SCHOOL DAY ////////

Vegeta and Ryoga stepped out of the school, large packs strapped to their backs. Ryoga sighed first, "Well, think we'll make it back in time for class tomorrow if we start running now?"

Shoulder's slumped, "Nope."

To the side on the brick wall, Ranma overheard them and jumped down. "Hey guys, what's up?"

Ryoga swung back with a punch at being surprised.

"Whoa!" Ranma missed being hit by ducking, causing Ryoga's fist to hit the wall. "It's me! Ranma!"

"Ow!" Ryoga held his throbbing hand, blowing on it as some swelling grew in the fingers. Beside him, a slight crack could be seen in the wall. "Ranma, what'd you do that for! I demand you apologize right now!"

Vegeta stepped between the two, "Hold it! Now isn't the time. Tomorrow - if we get back to the school - we can have another duel to settle this. Right now we need to get back home. Or at least try."

"Try?" Ranma relaxed seeing Ryoga's temper start to settle out. "You guys lost or something?"

"Err... ya. Something like that," Ryoga scratched the back of his head in embarrasement with his good hand.

"No problem, I can show you around. My pops and I right now are staying at a small apartment around here. He basically let's me run around as long as we train in the morning," Ranma turned around to start walking out toward the street. "So, where you guys live?"

Vegeta smacked his forehead, "I knew I forgot something! That guy that brought us here forgot to give us the map back!"

Ryoga smacked him on the back of the head, "Idiot!" He then paused, and held his hand in pain again. "Arg!"

"I suppose you guys could come to my place. We could then call your folks from there to pick you up."

"Sure about that?" Ryoga asked.

"No prob. Perhaps my pops could show you a thing or two. Lately he has been going on about something called the Catfist."

//////// TWO HOURS LATER //////

"Vegeta! This way!" Ranma waved his arms wildly. "NO! The other way!"

Ryoga was beside him, but started to turn. Ranma latched out on Ryoga's pack, "Oh no you don't! I can't believe you guys!"

Vegeta slowly turned around, his patience, and his pride starting to wear thin. He was almost to the point of calling it off. Ranma came back into view, and he went straight. "How much further?"

Ranma pointed at the shabby looking set of apartments. "We're there."

To the side, a balding man with a scarf on his head was digging a large hole. His gi was heavily soiled. The man then noticed the three and threw the shovel to the side, "Boy! Where have you been! You are late to practice."

"Now I'm gonna get it," Ranma groaned. Turning to the twin brothers, "This is my pops," then turning back to the man, "Hey pops! These are a few friends of mine from school. Vegeta and Ryoga Hibiki. They have a few techniques they can teach me."

"Hello there, my name is Genma Saotome." Genma then adjusted his glasses and bent down to get a better look at the two. "So, what sort of techniques? If I don't like them, I don't want you tainting the anything goes style with anything weak."

Vegeta flexed, "We are heir to the Hibiki style of martial arts. I defeated Ranma today, but we can probably learn from each other."

Just as Vegeta mentioned that Ranma was defeated, Genma towered over his son. "Boy! How could you let some upstart beat you! Trained you better than that." Pointing at the shovel, "You've obviously been slacking since you went to school. Now, let's pick up your training by finishing up this hole. Then we can start on the catfist training."

Shoulders slumped and a fallen face, Ranma went over to the hole and began his task. Genma turned back to the Hibiki's, "I'm afraid I can't let you teach Ranma. He is the heir to the Saotome line of Anything Goes Martial Arts - not the Hibiki style."

Vegeta frowned, "Then what does digging a hole have to do with Anything Goes?" Behind Genma, Ranma paused, curious as to the outcome.

Genma puffed up his chest, "Builds strength, and toughen's him up. Tomorrow, we start training in the catfist which will make Ranma unbeatable. He'll need that endurance - something you obviously don't see."

Ryoga was just confused, "Uh, ok. I suppose that makes sense."

Not convinced, Vegeta remembered his years spent in the gravity rooms. It helped, but no technique was learned. "What sort of training is the catfist?"

Genma smirked, "And tell you the secret to an unbeatable technique? I don't think so. Now, shouldn't you be going home?"

Ranma jumped out of the pit - glad to have an excuse not to dig, "I'll show them to the phone. They need to call home."

/////// LATE THAT NIGHT ////////

Vegeta laid out on the top bunk of the twin's bedroom. "Well, what do you think Ryoga about Ranma's pop?"

A snore answered.

"Hmph. If I was my old self, I would have kicked him out of bed. Ah well, we'll deal with it in the morning."

Through the night, Vegeta dreamt. Tossing, he remembered the past - his own son Trunks when he was just four or five years old.

--FLASH--
*But dad, I want to play with Goten!*
*If you want to play with that runt, go ahead, but when you come crawling back to me you'll have to train at my level. So don't slow me down!*
--FLASH--
*I want to go with Goku and Gohan to look for the dark star dragon balls. Want to come see me off?*
*Do what you want.*
--FLASH--
*Dad! Help! The gravity is too strong!*
*You can do better than that! You have the blood of a saiyjin prince in you! Now get up!*

Vegeta woke up with a start, sweat beading on his forehead. He was breathing heavily, "Damn, can't believe I was like that. I was so foolish." Laying back down, he looked up at the ceiling. "Ranma's dad was like me in a way - wanting his son to be the best but not knowing how to raise a kid the right way. Not this time. I may still be a kid, but I have to try."

Idea in mind, Vegeta went back to sleep.

He was pulled out of bed gruffly, "Wake up! We're going to be late! It's almost 6 in the morning!"

"What's the big idea? Can't you wake me up like a civilized person?" Vegeta rubbed the back of his head from the wood floor. Remembering last night, he bolted up. "Well, come on! We have to get to Ranma's house!"

Turnaround was played on Ryoga as he was dragged around by Vegeta getting ready - and trying not to get lost in the house. Thankfully before they made the wrong turn out the back door, their mother caught them.

"Vegeta, Ryoga dears - turn back this way."

Looking back, they realized their mistake. Going back into the kitchen, Ryoga grabbed the offered lunch, "Thanks mom. You wouldn't happen to have another map to the school, and the address to our house? Air for brains here lost them yesterday."

Vegeta jabbed Ryoga in the side, "Hey, you forgot the map too." Turning back to his mom, "Would you mind giving us a ride to a friend's place? We met him yesterday and he can help us know the town better."

"Of course!" Hugging her sons, Mrs.Hibiki smiled, "I'm so glad you found a friend already! Just don't be too rough on him, ok?"

Ryoga leaned over to Vegeta's ear, "What are you doing? Ranma didn't agree to show us around."

"Shutup, I need to see what his pop is up to with that special technique."

"Ah..."

On the trip there, the car was silent. Stepping out at Ranma's place, the brothers waved their mother off. Turning around till the apartment complexes were in sight, the two slowly made their way foward. Luckily, they heard some cat noises from the side, and followed it. Between the two of them, they made their way to the side lines behind some bushes.

Ryoga and Vegeta peered at the scene. Genma seemed to be sitting on a wooden lid over the hole that Ranma had finished digging the night before. From it were yelling cat sounds - then they heard it. A plea for help coming from the pit.

Vegeta's fist clenched, "The idiot! He threw his son to the cats! Ranma is in there with the cats!"

"What!? That's crazy!" Ryoga's eyes grew wide in amazement - wondering if Genma was that stupid or just hated his son.

"Come on! We have to save him!" Vegeta jumped out of the bushes, and made the dash at Genma. Ryoga was behind, but slower.

Genma saw the two coming from the open expanse. He suspected someone may have been watching, but wasn't sure. "I won't let you interfer with the boy's training!"

Vegeta didn't answer back, fury was evident in his face. Just as his fist reared back, Genma was shocked to see a blue outline around it, but he was still alert enough to block the punch. The ki stung his arms, and he kicked out at the Hibiki boy's feet. Vegeta tried to step back to avoid, but Genma's larger body and reach still hit. He went down, and knocked out when his head hit the ground.

Ryoga jumped over his brother with a fist reared back, "Genma! Prepare to die!"

Instead of making contact, Genma met the boy in midair, "I'll have you know, the Saotome School of Anything Goes Martial Arts specializes in midair combat!" Twisting his body, Genma grabbed Ryoga and launched him down at Vegeta - and also was put out of action.

Genma landed and dusted off his hands, "Well, the martial artists' life is frought with peril. I'm sorry I had to do that, but I couldn't let my son's training be interrupted."

Looking down at the boys, he remembered Vegeta's initial strike, "They certainly have potential, especially if the first one knew how to use that type of attack." Rubbing his chin, "Maybe they can teach Ranma afterall. A little peer competition on the road would be good for him to motivate him to train harder."

Smacking his fist in his palm, "Then it is decided, I'll talk to the boys' parents and they'll join me and Ranma on our training."

Going to the trap door, which was now silent Genma opened it. Inside, a figure was in the corner, shivering. Around, several cats were licking their wounds - others were smashed against the side of the walls and not moving - and still finally a few were fighting over the last few scraps of fish sausage.

"Well, boy, did you learn the catfist?"

Ranma didn't answer, and looked up at his father's face with one of fear. Finally, Genma had to crawl down and bring him up. "Well, I guess you didn't learn it. But I may have found someone that can teach you other techniques for the school. I'll make you a man among men yet!"

Dragging all three boys back to the apartment he was slumming in, Genma waited for them to wake up.

First Ranma came back first, but was first greeted with a world of pain. "Ow..."

"You're awake, good," his father's voice bellowed. "I see you didn't master the catfist. We'll try again later. I want to ask you though, would you like to have some friends join us for training?"

Ranma's eyes focused through the haze, he knodded weakly, "Ya, who?"

Turning to the side, he noticed the school uniforms and shoes. Moving to the facial features, he noticed the two guys from the day before. "Vegeta? Ryoga?"

Genma knodded, "Yes, I am going to ask their parents if they can come with us. It would be a good training opportunity for you, and anything they gain will give you competition and incentive to grow stronger."

Vegeta spoke out, "If that is the case, I agree old man."

"You are awake!" Genma was surprised.

"I'm full of surprises. If you agree to train me and Ryoga as well as you do Ranma - then I just might forget to tell my father you knocked out his own children in a fight." Vegeta started to sit up.

Ryoga started to stir, "Err.. what hit me?" Remembering, Ryoga jerked up with a start, "Where is that bastard!?"

Vegeta layed a hand on his brother's shoulder, "Don't worry, I have things under control." Ryoga visibly relaxed, but tensed and glared at Genma when he realized the man was in the room.

"So, we have a deal old man?" Vegeta growled.

Genma nodded vigorously, wanting to save his own skin. *If this kid can do that type of attack now, his father must have some serious skill!*

Later that night, the four met with the Hibiki parents. Luckily, Mr.Hibiki was there by chance and after much pleading by Vegeta and Ryoga (mostly Vegeta), they agreed to let them go. One stipulation made was that they try to find a cure for the eternally lost boys. Also, they had to visit at least once a year.