Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ 28 Stars ❯ Illusion ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

28 Stars
 
Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ. That is why it isn't shown on the parentally blocked channels.
 
AN: Thanks to The Chichi Slaughter House for betaing, and to all the wonderful people who reviewed the first chapter. Hope you enjoy!
 
 
Chapter Two: Illusion
 
Vegeta blinked, gasping for air from a breath he never realised he'd held, panting somewhat as he surveyed his surroundings, mentally taking them in piece by piece as he cast his gaze around the new environment.
 
The first thing noticeable to Vegeta was everything was orange. Glowing almost offensively so. The air itself was orange it seemed, in all directions, disturbingly even downwards, giving the senses he was actually floating in midair in some infinite space. The only contents he could see were stars- also orange, although they hung as a darker colour on the bright space surrounding them
 
The second thing was the floor he sat on was breathing.
 
Vegeta blinked, eyes widening as he looked down to see a cheerful, grinning face, yelping in shock as he leapt away, falling off the broad surface, dignity forgotten as his limbs flailed in midair, only to find himself floating, the sensation eerie as he was held up without the use of his ki.
 
“Kakarot!!!”
 
Vegeta turned himself upright with an instinctive flare of ki, blinking as he relaxed into a standing position in what appeared to be nothingness, before crossing his arms over his chest defiantly, concentrating on glaring at the other Saiyan- who was now sitting up, hand around the back of his head, sheepish grin on his face- since it appeared he didn't have to worry about the possible risk of falling away into nothingness. This was a new sensation to the Prince- this place held him up itself somehow, as his feet rested on the non-existent floor; he relaxed his ki, although not moving in the slightest because of it. He shook his head, trying to clear the disquieting thoughts, and directed his angry gaze to stay locked on the taller Saiyan as he got up, dusting himself, despite the fact his clothes were pristine, the action more a nervous effect to keep his hands occupied. Goku seemed perfectly at home in the matterless space they stood in- he walked around as if it were nothing special, his bearings unaffected.
 
Vegeta frowned more, his suspicious mind nagging at him, as he looked Goku over. He tried to quiet the barrage of mental questions his brain kept generating, just glaring the cheerful one before him.
 
“Kakarot! What the fuck is this?” yelled Vegeta, ki sparking around him in repressed rage.
 
After all, when you have a multitude of questions to ask, you might as well be general.
 
Goku swallowed nervously, averting his gaze and poking his forefingers together, only irritating Vegeta further.
 
“Well…” He looked up, smiling, although the appearance made him look strained. “I brought you into this place…we are inside the dragonballs.” He waved he hands around him. “All of this is the inside of the dragonballs- it's sort of like Otherworld in that respect. Except…when you are inside this place, you kind of share the dragon's power.” Goku looked to Vegeta nervously.
 
Vegeta took a deep breath, trying to calm himself. “Kakarot…if we share the dragon's power, we are fused with it, aren't we? And we cannot undo that, can we?” He said, his speech slow as he tried to control himself.
 
Goku bit his lip, giving a quiet nod of affirmation.
 
Vegeta looked at him, astounded. “Why would you do such a thing? I am trapped here with you, you idiot! Do you realise what you've done? You ripped me away from everyone outside…just because you wanted some entertainment? A good spar?” He sneered, half turning away.
 
Goku's shoulders slumped, loose with regret, his voice quiet. “I have my reasons Vegeta. And trust me, they stretch far beyond just wanting to train with you for my own need.” His face furrowed into a small frown, the look unusual on him. “If you truly care about those that surrounded you, you will be thanking me later.”
 
Vegeta looked at him sceptically. “Reasons, Kakarot? Then I demand to hear them.” Vegeta's eyes narrowed further, the nag finally clicking into place. He was an adult again- wasn't he a child when he left with the dragon? “And I still have questions for you.”
 
Goku looked side-to-side, clearly nervous to the Prince's reaction. “I-I can't say… it could possibly alter something, and if they found out I told you, they'd have me put you back…it would be dangerous.”
 
“Maybe it'd be better if you told me…” Vegeta turned away with a huff. “I know I sure as hell don't want to be stuck in this place with only you for company.” He looked back over his shoulder, giving Goku a chilling look. “I'd rather go back to hell.”
 
Goku sighed. “I know you don't like this Vegeta. Don't think I was keen on the idea of ripping you away from your family like that- I know what it is like. But it was for their sake, trust me. That is all I can ask you. To trust.”
 
Vegeta snorted, letting out a harsh spiteful laugh. “What, trust you like we did in the fiasco with Cell? Or Buu? Those went really well Kakarot, only managing to destroy the west Kai's planet, and then the Earth. And I'm not even going to start on your driving.”
 
Goku flinched, sighing. “Well, I got the job done in the end Vegeta- not without your- and many others'- help. If you can't trust me, little will change in the grand scheme of things- you are still trapped here.”
 
Vegeta raised an eyebrow, turning back to him. “What if I don't want to be?”
 
Goku shrugged. “You have no choice, I'm afraid. I'm sorry Vegeta…” A shadow of regret flashed over his face.
 
Vegeta glowered at him, snarling. “I'll fly to the edge of this place and smash my out if I have too!”
 
“That won't work Vegeta.” Goku retorted. “This place…is special. It has no real edge. Anyway, it would be unpleasant to break out when the dragonballs are dispersed.” He looked momentarily sickened, his face tightening a bit.
 
“What on Earth does that mean? `Unpleasant'?” Vegeta shot back at him, lips curled in a sneer.
 
“There would be seven different entry points. Anyway, it is pointless speculating, since there is no way of breaking out of here.” Goku motioned around him. “You can see outside, but we're locked in. We can't communicate with anyone else or anything.”
 
Vegeta's eyes continued glaring at him, venom dripping from his gaze as he digested the information, before remembering his earlier question.
 
“Kakarot? Why are you an adult again?” Vegeta looked at him accusingly. “If you said this place was a bit like Otherworld, time shouldn't pass through it normally. You shouldn't age.”
 
Goku blinked at him, looking at his palms despite being well aware of his physical condition, internally thankful to the change in subject.
 
“Well, this place is a bit… unusual… I think we share the dragon's power or something, or maybe it isn't real.” He pointed to his head, poking the bangs with a grin. “Our age is up here Vegeta. When you think you are an age, your appearance here changes.”
 
Vegeta snorted, folding his arms. “That still doesn't answer my question Kakarot.” He smirked at him.
 
Goku looked at him for a few seconds, before realising the joke, his hand reaching behind his head, smiling. “Well, it seems to have a limit- I can't go back any further than being a teenager… probably seventeen or eighteen…”
 
Vegeta raised an eyebrow. “Why not?”
 
Goku looked at him, blush rising to his cheeks, shaking his head in silent refusal to answer, the embarrassed reaction making the Prince chuckle deeply in amusement. Goku glared at him, almost with little heart in the look, lacking any of the venom Vegeta's had.
 
“Well, look at yourself Vegeta.” He snapped at the Prince, who blinked at him in surprise.
 
“Hn. What is it Kakarot?” Vegeta growled, eyes narrowing.
 
`Not like I can anyway, what in this place could I use as a mirror?' Vegeta asked himself, gritting his teeth as his scowl deepened.
 
Goku watched him, a wide grin forming on his face as the space a few feet in front of Vegeta quivered, slowing changing from empty orange space into a reflective pane, making the Prince jump back in astonishment, staring at the surface in disbelief.
 
“Kakarot! What is this?” He stuttered, looking around the edge of the plane to Goku, who grinned at him supportively.
 
“We're in the dragonballs Vegeta. We can use the abilities of them to a level in here. Pretty much anything you want and can imagine, within the limits of your power of course.” He smirked. “I guess you wanted a mirror then.”
 
Relaxing, Vegeta stepped forward a few paces, eyeing himself in the mirror, tilting his head to the side, only to realise the hair that used to be trailing down his back was gone, his hand reaching back in confirmation, only to feel muscular neck as his finger tips. He looked up, smirking as he ran his fingers through the upsweep he'd always had, the small flecks of grey that had been gradually seeping in gone entirely, leaving him with his original black. Vegeta looked around the side of the mirror, letting out a soft growl and swish of his tail in annoyance at the obstruction, only to find it disappear at his whim.
 
Wait a second.
 
Vegeta span around, twisting his back as he raised his tail into his view, turning back as he held it in his hands, gloved fingers brushing against the fur, looking up at Goku in surprise.
 
“This…is another one of the tricks of this place, Kakarot?” He asked, looking back down at his tail, before dropping it, the furry appendage swaying behind him experimentally, although Vegeta was hasty to wrap it back around his waist in his defensive posture.
 
Goku smiled at him. “I guess it has been a long time since you had one Vegeta, since it got cut off and all…”
 
Vegeta's face stiffened somewhat, the change barely perceptible as he nodded, a slight motion of affirmative, before he spoke, his voice soft, but chilling nonetheless.
 
“It isn't real, is it?”
 
Goku blinked, before shrugging, unaffected by the tone. “Well, it is here Vegeta…to be honest, I am not sure if it is or not.” He scratched his head in contemplation, eyebrow knitting together. “Suppose it is… I mean, when I reached out to drag you in here, my arms didn't change age, so maybe we get to keep these bodies…”
 
“What if you left the dragonballs entirely, Kakarot? Did you think of that?” Vegeta shot back, the thought of losing his tail both aggravating and taunting him. “You'd be totally free of their power.”
 
Goku shrugged doubtfully. “I don't know Vegeta…” He slumped down on the ground, looking strange to Vegeta in such a pose, since in effect, he appeared to be floating in midair, but looked as though gravity was pulling him down, the dark spikes of hair mounted on his head drooping even.
 
He looked over to Vegeta with a grin. “The one thing I do know Vegeta is that our powers are real. We can train together here, grow stronger.”
 
Vegeta sneered at him, his lip curling in derision. “Me? Put up with you?” He let out a cruel braying laugh.
 
Goku, blinked, and then smirked. “I guess the Prince will leave himself to get left behind then…in my dust.” He stood up, handing on his hips, grinning at the fuming Prince. “I suppose I'll just have to continue advancing without your help then…pity, we could have had some good spars…”
 
Vegeta growled, walking over to Goku, looking up at him with a glare, as he grabbed his shirt. Failing to haul the taller man upwards, Vegeta settled for dragging him forwards, bringing their faces close together. Goku shivered as he felt the other man's warm breath run over his skin, swallowing cautiously, before smirking at him in challenge, leaning his face back enough to show his eyes without the obstruction of his bangs, as they flashed in contest. Vegeta grit his teeth, stubborn and furious that he'd been lured into such a position, for now he had to take up the offer- not only to hold his own pride, but also to keep up with the other. The last thing he wanted was for him to exceed him again without his knowing- the fiasco with the attainment of super Saiyan three was already a humiliating blow to him, when the other had kept it from them in their fight. Vegeta flinched at the memory, his eyes narrowing further to mere slits as he pushed Goku away.
 
“Fine Kakarot!” He spat, turning away with an irate snarl. “I will train with you then.”
 
“Great Vegeta!” Goku grinned, patting Vegeta on the back with enthusiasm, making the Prince edge from the touch, slapping the hand away.
 
“Don't touch me…” snapped Vegeta, superciliousness showing on his face as he shot a filthy look at the cheerful Saiyan responsible.
 
Goku gave a nervous chuckle, scratching the back of his head; his expression sheepish as Vegeta stared at him blankly, making him feel more uncomfortable in the growing silence. Vegeta rolled his eyes, walking away from him.
 
“Start tomorrow then, huh Vegeta?” Goku requested, raring to start. “Wow, I haven't had anyone to train with for -ages-, you know, it gets kind of dull in here. Watching the universe is all well and good but it gets kind of boring, you know Vege-”
 
“Whatever Kakarot…” Vegeta cut off the rambling with a wave of his hand. “I want a rest and some time alone, clown. How do you sleep in this pla-”
 
Vegeta blinked as an ornate black door appeared before him, yet again suspended in the empty orange space, slightly shorter than those in a normal house, as though it were designed specifically for him. The door was made of some kind of dry black wood, the edge being decorated with an abstract pattern that drew inwards to the centre of the wood panel, whilst there was a curved golden handle on the side. The Prince shrugged, grasping the handle, before looking back at Goku, who watched silently and shrugged.
 
“All they do is give you what you want Vegeta. There is nothing to mistrust,” reminded Goku as he motioned to the door. “If you wanted a rest and time alone, that would be your place.”
 
Vegeta turned back to the door, running his gloved fingers over the pattern thoughtfully, before gripping the handle firmly and pushing it open, the hinges creaking with a small whine as it swung open, the Prince stepping forwards into the dim entrance.
 
Goku watched silently as the door swung shut again, and faded out, taking Vegeta with it.
 
~~