Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Saiyan For All Seasons ❯ Camping Confessions ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Saiyan For All Seasons

Chapter Eight

Camping Confessions

Disclaimer: DBZ is my obsession but Akira Toriyama's genius.

*******************************************

Bulma felt it all morning---in the bath as she dipped her head into the warm suds, selfishly enjoying the last real bath before her trip to the back of beyond--- as she ate her breakfast, layering her toast with more marmalade than normal in preparation for days of eating barely recognizable cuts of unknown animal, roasted over a campfire. She felt it as she packed her small rucksack and carried it out to the waiting air car. Then when she was saying goodbye to her parents, there was the secret desire swimming through her chest -- the hope she would get to see the phenomenon rather than just sense it.

She was disappointed of course, but she wondered why he had made the effort to let her know he was leaving if he really were dead set on refusing to say goodbye. She never really expected Vegeta would come outside to see her off with her parents, but there had been ample time before that. The day she skipped work to rendezvous with him in the shower had proven to be the last, and she felt a little cheated. Her libido demanded more than just one bout of goodbye sex, no matter how amazing that contest was.

Bulma took one last long look at the gravity room, stifled a sigh and opened the door to her air car. Her mother was on one side running on in her usual cheery banter and her father was on the other, a lot more sanguine and laidback than his wife. He rested against the hood, smoking a bent and decidedly sorry looking cigarette as Bulma rolled down the window.

"You sure you'll be okay, Dad?"

"I'm not sure, Bulma, I've only run Capsule Corporation for the last twenty years. Do you think I'll be able to cope for a whole week on my own?"

"Okay, okay," she said holding her hands up. "Enough with the sarcasm. I get that it was a stupid question, but what I really mean is, thank you." She smiled. "It means a lot."

"No problem, Pumpkin. I'll never understand why you feel compelled to keep going off on these adventures of yours, but if it makes you happy then who am I to stand in your way?"

"It makes me very happy," she replied. "You're missing out."

He laughed. "Some things are best left to those young and insane enough to enjoy it, but are you sure you want to leave your capsule case behind? I'd feel better if you took it. I know the kind of scrapes those friends of yours get themselves into. I'm not comfortable knowing you don't have a way out if you get in any trouble."

"Really Dad, I'll be with the strongest fighters earth has to offer. There's nothing out there Goku can't handle. I'll be okay, so quit worrying."

"So long as you're my daughter, I'll continue to worry. When you have a family of your own, you'll understand."

Bulma groaned. "Not you too! It's bad enough that Mum keeps hassling me, but you should know better than anyone that I'm not ready to settle down yet."

"I know." He grinned. "But the truth is that no one is ever ready. Things happen and you cope with them. That's the way life goes."

"I'm not listening anymore; can I go now?"

He laughed and throwing his cigarette away, reached through the window to place something in her hand. It was small, barely visible to the naked eye and felt cold on her palm. "What is it?"

"Just a small communication device. I have one in at the moment." He pointed to his ear. "Humour this old man and wear it, just in case. Your friends won't even know it's there."

"Will you stop acting like an old mother hen if I say 'yes'?"

"Scout's honour." He added a salute as well.

"Fine," she said, looking at the small machine. "How do I work it?"

"The frequency is all set, but if you need to change it for any reason then there's a small dial on the left. Pop it in like a normal earpiece and then press it if you want me."

"I can't see why I would need to change frequency, but thanks."

"I gave one to Vegeta as well."

"Vegeta? Why?"

"Well, he's starting to feel like a member of the family to your mother, and I thought, seeing as he will be gone for quite a while, that he might need some help or advice while he's away --- star charts, mechanics, you know the stuff. This way he can contact us and we can help, no matter where we are."

"And if he gets lonely, then he can call for a nice long chat," Mrs Briefs added.

Bulma almost choked. "Vegeta - get lonely?" She laughed out loud. "Mum, he's lived his entire life alone; the last thing he'll want on his trip is you checking up on him every five minutes."

"Well, your father said that, but I told him the same as I'm going to tell you --- that's complete nonsense. Why would he take it if he didn't want us to use it?" she said matter-of-factly.

That was a good point. Bulma shrugged her shoulders. "Fair enough. I have no idea why Vegeta would possibly want it, but if he has no objections then I guess it's silly for me to have any. Isn't it?"

"Very. Now you'd better get going. You don't want to keep everyone waiting now, do you?"

"I guess not."

She felt a little nervous about giving too much away, but she couldn't leave without saying one more thing. After kissing her parents goodbye, she spoke to them both.

"Could you do one more favour for me?"

They agreed of course; Bulma was never denied anything.

"Could you look out for Vegeta for me? I know I don't really have to ask, but I'd just feel better knowing his last two days here are comfortable. Mum, please don't call him unless you absolutely have to. He's going to be training so he's strong enough to help save our planet. He won't be able to concentrate if you call him all the time. And Dad, make sure you've triple checked everything on his ship before he leaves and that there are plenty of spares, just in case. He's really important---" She was about to say "to me," but caught herself just in time. "To the planet. If he can't get back, then the androids might just be too much for us. We need him on this one."

Both assured her that they were more than willing to do everything she asked, and after a little more fuss and final farewells, Bulma started up her air car and began her journey.

The drive through West Capitol rush hour traffic was passed in a strange mix of excitement and regret. Excitement about what adventure was awaiting her at the Son home, but regret that she would miss the last two days Vegeta was on planet. It was probably unwarranted considering how little definition there was in her weird relationship with the temperamental alien prince, but she really was sorry he was leaving. He would be back, but that was scant consolation. There had been some comfort in knowing he was around and ready to satisfy her if she wished it, and she would miss not having him to fall back on should her sanity need the escape.

It was amazing how in tune with Vegeta's energy she had become. Even though she was now over twenty miles away from the house she could still feel the same fluttery telltale pull of his power. It was getting beyond a joke. What did the little monkey do to make her so aware of him the entire time? She wasn't in love with him, her friendship was one sided, and they were barely even civil to each other when they were together. How did he manage to affect her in such an encompassing way?

Something had to be done about it, but she wasn't sure what. She almost missed her last turning she was so preoccupied with it. What she needed was clarity on the situation, but without knowing Vegeta's views that was incredibly hard to find. So long as he remained elusive and detached, there was little she could do other than define boundaries in her own mind. What did she really want from him? Fun and games were one thing, but they had been sleeping together for four months. Under normal circumstances, it would be the stage of a relationship where choices were made. The thought of gaining more ground with Vegeta was laughable, but for her own peace of mind she had to address the situation now. It was the only way she could feel confident with continuing.

"Well," she argued out loud. "What do I know for fact?" She turned off the road onto a dirt track that would take her on a winding course through the mountains.

"I know that Vegeta likes me. He admitted that, albeit grudgingly. I know he is sexually attracted to me, and I know he's coming back. That's good."

She turned the radio off. She couldn't think through the noise.

"Unfortunately, I also know that he has no loyalties to my planet, my race or my feelings. That's bad, right?"

"Man!" she exclaimed. "Was I ever wrong when I said that this situation wasn't complicated? However, he doesn't mind Yamcha knowing, and that's just plain weird. Perhaps," she reasoned, "perhaps it would be good to let someone else know. To get an outsider's opinion on it all, but is Yamcha the right person? I can't really see him being unbiased about it. Ugh! This is all so damn confusing, but what have I got to lose? I can't keep this all bottled up inside. I need to tell someone. Next to Goku, Yamcha's my best friend, and seeing as I can't tell Goku, then Yamcha's the only one who can help me."

That settled it. She would consult with Yamcha. Perhaps he wasn't the ideal choice, but she was sure between the both of them they could thrash this situation out and give her mind the reassurance and direction it needed. They would both be biased and she just hoped that through the conflicting arguments, the answer she was craving would present itself.

Three hours after setting off, Bulma found herself flying between the familiar rows of trees that lead to Goku's home. A little while longer and the woodland parted to boast a view that few could look on without feeling an amazing sense of awe and contentment. Mountains towered all around the flat plateau with its shrine to Son-Gohan next to the river that defined the boundary of the Son land. Then there was the family house, small and humble, but with more love inside than anyone could possibly desire. It was so different from the vast expanse and bustle of her grounds, but just as familiar and revered.

In keeping with tradition, she made a dramatic entrance, revving the engine into the red, and performing an impossibly tight turn to miss the house and spew dust over her waiting friends, as though she had driven like an idiot the whole way there. She smiled. No one would know any different -- no one would know that she had been so deep in thought the whole way there that she hadn't even considered being her usual reckless self.

"Bulma!" Goku greeted as the rest fussed over the dirt on their clothes. "You made it!"

She didn't even have the chance to clamber out. Her friend was already on her, his arms locking around her body in a bear hug and lifting her from the car. "We were beginning to think you weren't coming!"

"Yeah," said a voice behind them. "What time do you call this?"

Goku released his hold, setting her down on the grass. She stepped around his side to see the speaker. Yamcha! It felt like too long since she'd last seen her friend, but that wouldn't help him right now.

"It's called being fashionably late!" she shouted. "Besides, I like keeping you all guessing."

"Guessing?" he laughed. "Yeah, next time we'll just go without you. See how you like guessing where all the flesh-eating dino's in the forest are."

"Stop being an arse, Yamcha!" Puar trilled, floating beside her lifelong friend. "Or we'll give those dino's a taste of it."

"Hey, why not? They're the only ones who haven't had a taste yet," Bulma teased. "He's such a man slut now."

"And damn proud," Yamcha laughed. "When they're queuing up for a chance, how can I possibly refuse?"

He chanced a look to Bulma, just to make sure he was on safe ground and she smiled warmly back before sighing, "The testosterone's too much for me already. Why did we agree to this again, Puar?"

"Because we're insane," she laughed, hovering over Bulma's shoulder. "Come on inside. Oolong is making tea."

"Oolong? Do I dare drink it? He's probably put some date rape drug in it."

"That's why we're making him drink it first," she laughed, and the whole party joined in as they entered the house.

Tea wasn't the only thing on offer when they sat down at the country kitchen table and met up with Krillin who looked as though he was stationed on guard duty. There was a veritable banquet set out on the wooden table, more than enough for the Saiyan and his guests.

"Bulma!" Krillin greeted. "Thank god you're here! We couldn't have kept him away much longer." He looked nervously behind her and mouthed, "Is he here?" in huge pantomime words.

"Who?" she mimed back.

"Vegeta."

"Oh Kami, no!" she said out loud. "Don't be ridiculous. It would take something more powerful than the entire universe to drag him away from his training. Besides, he's leaving planet in a few days and probably won't return until the androids get here."

Krillin sighed in relief, and he wasn't alone. Goku seemed to be the only one that looked less than ecstatic about the news. "Ah, what a bummer," he sighed. "I was hoping to get the chance to spar with him, seeing as Chi's not around and all."

"Well I'm glad," Krillin said. "It's not that I'm not relieved he's batting for the good guys this time around, but I doubt I'd sleep much knowing he was in the next tent over."

It wasn't said maliciously and Bulma let the statement slide. It was a natural reaction. Vegeta was, after all, an efficient and decidedly unbalanced mass-murderer. It was perfectly rational for Krillin or anyone else to be wary of him. Just because he showed a less menacing side to her didn't change the man. She was never going to get Vegeta or the other members of the Z senshi to make quick leaps forward in understanding. She was the one who felt comfortable around Vegeta -- she was the one going insane, not her friends. It was realistic that, Goku - being the only one with any realistic chance of controlling Vegeta should he get out of hand - would be the most casual in acceptance of him. Bulma just wished she had a similar excuse.

Gohan came bounding into the room a moment later, and there was no more room left for conversation as the mass feasting began. Course after course was laid in front of them. Chi Chi had been up all morning making sure there was enough for everyone before her father came to pick her up. The food itself was basic but deliciously and expertly prepared. Three courses of fish never suited the palette so well, and Bulma ate hungrily. It was unlike her. Perhaps her survival senses were kicking in - not knowing who might be cooking their next meal. She hoped they weren't thinking she would! She was lost without a microwave, and without her capsules, it was highly unlikely she would have access to one.

It was halfway through dessert when she first heard it - a noise that was unfamiliar. She looked up from her plate to see if anyone else had noticed, but they were all munching away as though nothing had happened. She shrugged her shoulders, and carried on eating. A few moments later and she heard it again. It sounded like static. Then she remembered - the earpiece - of course!

Dad, you know I can't answer you here, she mentally scolded, trying desperately hard not to make anyone suspicious. The static erupted again. This time, however, there was something else - and it almost killed her composure.

"Fuck! Is this thing working? I should have listened to the fool when he was telling me how to operate it. Blasted thing."

Bulma gasped, earning the attention of the entire room. "Are you okay, B?" Yamcha asked.

"Uh, what? Oh yeah, I'm fine," she lied. "The ice-cream was a little colder than I expected, that's all. I have sensitive teeth."

"Maybe you should see a dentist when you get back," he offered.

"Yeah, maybe."

Then Vegeta's voice was there again, crystal clear as though he were the one sitting next to her and not Yamcha. "It's the right frequency. Shit! How the hell am I supposed to know if it's working or not?"

Bulma managed to stifle a giggle. Hearing Vegeta sound so lost with her father's technology was both priceless, and endearing. She looked around the table, silently gathering her courage. When it was as high as it was ever likely to get, she casually rested her elbow on the table, and then her head on her palm. Surreptitiously switching the frequency she pushed the device - activating it immediately.

"Well," she said, her voice a little shaky. "I'm stuffed." She pushed her bowl away. "I don't know about you guys, but I think Vegeta's missing out. That was one hell of a good meal."

It was Vegeta's turn to gasp now. It was as clear as day, and Bulma found it incredibly hard to keep a straight face. "Woman?"

"Yeah!" Goku replied. "Chi's cooking is the best; no Saiyan should have to miss out."

"All the more for us," Yamcha chimed in. "Can you imagine competing against two appetites like that? The rest of us would starve."

"No need to worry there; Mum can cook for an army."

"That she can, Kiddo," Bulma agreed. "But if you'll excuse me I need to take a trip to the little girl's room."

"Make the most of having a toilet roll while you still can!" Krillin laughed, and the others joined in.

She laughed along with them and grudgingly let go of the communicator to leave the table. It took all her control not to run out of the room, but as soon as the others couldn't see her she did run, all the way to the bathroom, and making sure to lock the door behind her, put the seat down and sat on the toilet. Her ruse worked perfectly; she just hoped Vegeta would be willing to talk.

Her heart pounding, she once more pressed the device in her ear. "Vegeta? Vegeta, are you still there?"

There was silence. "Fuck!" she swore.

"Not now, Woman. I'm training."

She did a voiceless celebration dance around the bathroom. Not just because of Vegeta listening in, but because even with the sanctuary of a locked door, she had to be careful. The Son house was too small to take any chances.

"Liar," she whispered, when she recovered. "Do you like Dad's new toy?"

No answer. Her elation quickly snapped into anger.

"Fine, don't talk to me then, and thanks for saying goodbye, arsehole."

"Why should I say goodbye?" he replied. "With this device I can piss you off any time I want."

She smiled. "That you can, but it goes both ways, Bud."

"I don't doubt that for a second, Woman. Have you spoken to your human trash yet?"

"Will you quit calling him that?"

"No. Answer the damn question."

She sighed. It was useless to argue with him. "I only just got here. We said hi and then we ate. No, I haven't told him. Why do you want him to know so badly?"

"I already told you that."

"No you didn't."

"Then you weren't listening properly."

"God, Vegeta. Would you please stop talking in circles?" she spat.

"No. When are you going to tell him?"

"I don't know. When and if I get the chance to."

He chuckled. "So you are going to tell him."

"Yes, happy now?"

"Perfectly." The word was full of sarcasm.

"Ugh! You're insufferable."

"Good. Can I get back to my training now?"

"No, don't go," she said, not knowing quite why.

"What else is there to say?" he asked.

"Nothing, I guess. I just…." She sighed. "I just like talking to you that's all."

"Foolish woman. This wouldn't have anything to do with the "friends" shit again, would it? If we can't fuck then what's the point of talking? It's all just a prelude to foreplay anyway."

Bulma's cheeks burned red - a mixture of embarrassment and indignation. "And you have the gall to call me vulgar!"

"No gall, I was just putting it in words you would understand."

"Right! That's it," she snapped. "I'm hanging up right now."

"That's what I want."

"Then why are you still talking? Drop the attitude already. You know you like talking to me - and who wouldn't? I am peculiarly exotic." She fluffed her hair in victory.

"Stop twisting my words, Woman, and you forgot 'odd' and 'a problem.' But I rescind the last. You're not a problem, you're the god damn mother of all problems. Now leave me the hell alone."

"Okay, I get the hint," she ceded. "But on one condition."

"And that would be?"

"That you call me before you go."

There was silence. Had he hung up already?

"Hey Bulma! Do you have the shits or what? Other people have to go you know!" Krillin shouted, banging on the door.

"Alright! Can't a girl have a dump in peace? Sheeeeesh. If you keep that up I'll just leave it in the bowl for you to flush!"

"Eeeeeeeeew that's gross!"

It was, but it worked like a charm, in two ways. The silence was broken. Vegeta was chuckling at the exchange. "Vulgar you are, Woman. Very well, I will do as you ask," and then he was gone for real. With a smile plastered wide across her face, she let the device go, and quickly relieved herself for real, before letting Krillin have his turn.

"At last. I thought you'd died in there," he said before rushing in.

Bulma didn't hear. All she could do was think about her weird conversation with Vegeta. He would indeed say goodbye before he went, and who knew what else he would have to say after that. Her father hadn't outright said that they could communicate from space, but it was logical they could. If he could contact her mother then he could sure as hell contact her. It was a win, win situation. Maybe she wouldn't have to miss him after all. The only trouble was Yamcha. Just how in the hell was she going to tell him?

Half an hour had been and gone before everyone was ready to leave.

"Are you sure we have everything?" Oolong asked. "These piggy feet aren't made for needless walking."

"We've checked everything three times already, Oolong," Gohan sighed. "Come on, it's time to go. Besides if we need anything, one of us can always fly back and get it."

"Yeah, we've wasted enough time as it is, let's go!" Yamcha shouted, already a full hundred yards ahead of anyone else. "If we don't leave now we won't get to Blue River Gorge before it gets dark."

There were no more protests and the whole party set out for the long hike along the foot of the mountains and the beginning of their seven-day adventure. Spirits were high. Puar sang as they went, setting the pace as she always did with the tunes from her and Yamcha's time in the desert. It was a wonderful mix of haunting melodies and bold-brash battle cries and both seemed to compliment the vibrancy and life the party held. They walked all morning, and Bulma was grateful when Oolong broke the fast pace and declared it was time for a rest. He was sweating profusely, and the others knew they had to humour him otherwise he would never stop complaining.

"Are you okay, B?" Yamcha asked as they all sat on a rock under the shade of one of the many tall Momiji that were indigenous to the area.

"Yeah, just about," she said, thankful for the bottle of water he gave her as he sat down next to her. "Just remember that I'm not as fit as you guys. If you walk too fast one of you will be giving me a piggyback for the rest of the day."

He laughed. "You heard her Oolong. Bulma gets to sit on you if we go too fast. Hey Goku, Krillin, let's run the rest of the way!"

"Why make excuses?" Oolong snickered. "Bulma can sit on my face anytime she wants."

"Ugh!" she screamed, slapping him hard across the head, "Keep your hentai snout away from me!"

When the laughter died down, Bulma decided to prepare Yamcha for what was to come. Taking a deep breath she began. "I need to speak to you later." She looked cautiously around to make sure they weren't being overheard. "You know, without the others around."

"Oh?"

She smiled to hide her nervousness. "It's a secret. No one knows, but I want you to be the first and only one I tell for now. Once dinners over come on a walk with me down the river and I'll tell you everything. Okay?"

He winked. "It's a date."

The rest was soon over. They were still full from Chi Chi's more than ample banquet and so rest and water was all that was needed before they set off again. The second part of the trek wasn't as hard as the first, as it was mostly downhill. Bulma hadn't been on the route they were taking before, and Goku happily informed them that it was one of the more vigorous and beautiful ways through the forest.

She was slightly worried to hear that the following day required an almost vertical climb up the side of the gorge, but her fears were allayed a moment later. Krillin patted his backpack. "Don't worry, Bulma. Oolong and Puar will transform and fly up. Goku, Yamcha and I will climb unaided, but we brought all the climbing gear you need back here."

"Besides," Goku added. "If you can't make it then I'll fly you up myself."

"How high is it?" she asked.

"A hundred and thirty feet, give or take a few," Yamcha said. "Think you can do it?"

"It's been a while since I last went climbing," she admitted. "But I'm not a quitter. I'll climb the damn thing or die trying."

"That's my girl!"

They carried on. It always surprised Bulma how the first few miles of these treks hurt so much and then, relatively speaking her body got used to the continuous movement and allowed her to actually enjoy the views.

It was dusk before they met up with the river again and made their way along the bottom of the gorge. The conversation had all but dried up at this point. Only Goku was his usual bold self and continued the banter, blissfully unaware that no one else was joining in. Even Yamcha looked a little more sedate than usual.

"Wow," Goku called out, well ahead of the rest of the pack. "I'd forgotten how tiring it is walking everywhere. It's so easy to just fly instead."

There was no reply. Everyone was just glad to be at the part of the gorge where it naturally widened enough for them to be able to set up camp.

The tents were quickly assembled, and Bulma was soon lighting firewood in preparation for the night's meal. It was too far back to the forest to hunt game and the guys wouldn't fly, due to some previously concocted bet, so fish turned out to be the food of the day.

Surprisingly, seeing as Krillin cooked, dinner passed pleasantly enough for Bulma. It was the thought of what was to come afterwards that was truly turning her stomach. Yamcha wasn't making a secret of his curiosity either. He was fidgeting beside her as they sat around the campfire, and throwing the odd enquiring look. She did her best to avoid his gaze. God! How would he take it? She hadn't felt this nervous for a long time. What if he took it badly? It was hard enough, not seeing him as much as she used to, what if by telling him, she would only succeed in pushing him further away?

The fire was burning out now, and Puar, Oolong, and Krillin had already retired to their respective tents. Goku was laying back, content with his full belly and looking contemplatively up at the stars.

"You want to take that walk now?" asked Yamcha.

Not really, Bulma thought, but she nodded nonetheless.

"Hey, Goku."

He glanced lazily over to them.

"Bulma and I are just going to take a short stroll down the river."

"Okay!" He smiled. "Have fun."

They turned away and Yamcha threw an arm over her shoulder, having already picked up a flashlight to stop them from accidentally falling into the river. Only once he was sure they were far enough away did Yamcha take his top off, and lay it on the ground next to the steep gorge sides. They both sat down on it, knowing it wouldn't keep the damp away for long.

"Okay, we're alone now. What's this big secret you have to tell me?"

"Well," she began, feeling slightly sick. "It's kind of hard for me to speak to you about it, but the others, well, I just don't think they'd understand. I… I'm not even sure you will, or even if I do, I just . . . I have to tell someone, but I'm scared. Scared you'll take it badly."

"Bulma," he coaxed, taking her hand and running his thumb up and down the back of it for encouragement. "You know you can tell me anything. I'm your friend. It's not my job to judge you. It's my job to be there for you, no matter what. Now, just take a deep breath and tell me whatever you want. You'll feel better for it in the long run. I promise."

She felt indescribably better for his words, but wasn't completely reassured. "Okay then," she said, "I want to talk to you about Vegeta."

"Vegeta?" he said, curiosity and confusion evident in his voice.

"Yes. Do you remember our conversations about him when he first came? About me trying to get to know him better?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, I think I finally have, only recently…" Her voice hitched. Why was this so damn hard to say? "Recently I've gotten to know him perhaps a little better than I initially intended to."

She didn't dare look at his face. His thumb had stopped its caress and even the lack of that small gesture was painful. She could hear his breathing, deep and heavy beside her.

"I don't understand, B?" he admitted. "What are you trying to say?"

"What I'm trying to tell you is that, four months ago, after the party at Capsule Corporation, I… I slept with Vegeta."

He didn't speak but she hadn't expected him to, not at first. He needed time to get used to the idea.

"It wasn't just the once either. I'm not in love with him or anything. It's just, well, it's something new and fun and… I… I like it, and I think he does too."

Her face felt so damn hot, and her stomach was doing cartwheels. He hadn't said a word, nothing to tell her how he felt about it. She understood that it was a bolt from the blue, and probably a cruel one at that, but she needed him so badly to do something now. She'd given him enough time to form at least an initial opinion. She needed something more now, something other than silence.

"Say something," she pleaded. "I don't care if you call me an idiot, if you think I'm insane, or if you think I've made the biggest mistake ever, I just need to hear your voice right now."

"Bulma," he stuttered, but her name caught somewhere in his throat and he either couldn't or wouldn't say more.

"Please!"

"I just can't believe," he tried again. "I don't know what to say."

"If you can't say anything else just please tell me that you're still my friend. At least give me that much."

"Of course!" It almost sounded like a sob. Two large arms circled her shoulders in a deathly tight hold. "My god, Bulma. You'll always be my friend; don't ever doubt that."

There was moisture on her cheek and she was surprised to find it was her own tears. She was crying.

"You know," he said at length, "I know this is going to sound silly, but now I think about it, it kind of makes sense. The way he acts around you. It's always so different to how he treats everyone else. I just never believed that he would take it so far, or that you… you would be happy for him to."

"I know," she sniffled. "If you'd have told me a year ago that this would happen I would have laughed in your face. I don't fully understand what's going on myself. That's why I wanted to talk to you about it."

He pulled her closer - if that were possible - resting his chin on the top of her head as they both looked across the gorge, as though the sheer rock the other side were the most fascinating view in the world.

"I'm so confused. I don't know what I want from him. Before he told me he was leaving I was perfectly happy just using him for sex. It was nothing serious and something different in my life - something to get my mind away from work for a few hours. You know, kind of like stress relief."

"And now?" he asked, squeezing her a little tighter for reassurance.

"And now . . . I don't know. I feel bad that he's leaving. For some reason I don't want him to go. I think… I think I'll actually miss him, not just the sex, but him as well, and you know what? It scares the crap out of me."

"Do you know how long he'll be gone for?"

"He said until he reaches Super Saiyan, but I think it all depends. I know he won't miss the fight with the androids, whether he'll be able to transform into a Super Saiyan before then, I don't know, but I know him. He'll fight the androids even if he isn't. Even if, deep down, he knows he won't win, he'll still be there. He's too stubborn and proud to not show up."

"And what has he said to you, about, you know, your situation? Does he love you, B, or is he just using you as well?"

She sighed. "Knowing Vegeta, the latter, and to be honest I'm glad he's not in love with me. That would be too weird. Besides, I don't think he has the capacity to love. He told me he would be back, but he didn't say anything about what would happen when he did get back. I think he's too preoccupied with gaining Super Saiyan to think seriously on anything else right now."

"If you ask me," Yamcha said, "it sounds like you don't have anything to worry about."

"Really?"

"Well, yeah. You're not in love with Vegeta and he's not in love with you, right?"

"Right."

"Then don't let it be serious. Of course you're going to miss him. The guy's been living with you for the last two years, or however long it is now. It's going to be weird not having someone you've grown accustomed to around anymore. But that's the way things go sometimes." He shifted, so Bulma could see his face. "You want my advice?"

"Yes, more than anything."

"Don't let it get you down. You're young, beautiful and intelligent. You need to just kick back and enjoy life for a little while. Go out, party, have some fun. Take your mind off it. I have a hunch that you'll do very well without him about, and I believe that you'll realize that after all is said and done, it was nothing more than a bit of fun. A few rolls in the hay, and then chapter closed. I can't imagine how hard it is for you now, having to run Capsule Corp. Maybe this fascination with Vegeta is a result of having no time for anything more than the distractions at home. Play the field a bit, have some fun!"

"You know I can't do that now."

"Why not? Your dad's still about, and obviously doesn't mind taking the pressure of running Capsule Corporation now and then, otherwise you wouldn't be here now. You don't have to run yourself into the ground. You did the same for him before you took over. Don't be afraid to ask him. I'm sure he won't mind."

"Maybe."

"There's no maybe about it. Doctor Yamcha prescribes at least one day off a week for fun and mayhem, and then we'll take it from there - okay?"

She smiled. "Okay. Maybe you're right. Maybe I have been taking this too seriously."

"Exactly, and we'll start tomorrow. We'll have so much fun on this trip that you'll wonder why you were even worried."

Bulma sighed. Yamcha was right. She had been putting too much importance on the situation. She had months before she would see Vegeta again. Maybe she did just need to have some fun on her own and remember what it was like to have a normal and Saiyan no Ouji-free life. From now on she would only worry about Vegeta, when or if she had cause to.

Yamcha stood, offering her hand and pulling her up as well. "Let's go back," he said. "We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow, and we could use the rest."

She nodded.

"And Bulma?" he said.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"For feeling comfortable enough with me to be able to tell me this. I know it must have been hard for you, but it would have hurt a lot more if you'd kept it a secret and I'd found out another way."

Oh god! What had she done to deserve such a wonderful and understanding friend? She gave him a long tight hug. It was the only way she could convey how much his friendship meant to her. "I'm glad I told you too." She smiled. "Let's go back."

Arm in arm they walked back to the campsite. She would do as he suggested. She was with her friends now, and they were going to have an adventure to remember. For the moment at least, everything else was irrelevant. Tired and extremely relieved for having shared her problems, she retired to her tent. "Thank you, Yamcha," she whispered, snuggling deep into her sleeping bag. "Thank you."

Cocooned in the fabric, she almost instantly fell asleep.

*********************************

A/N - Just in case you were wondering, Momiji is the Japanese for Maple tree.

I hope this chapter works. It took a bit of progressive storytelling to get it where I wanted. I edited out a page of fluff, but fear I still left a lot of fluff in there. I just couldn't figure out a way of making the chapter shorter without losing information that might be important later. I really hope I didn't mess up the pacing too badly as a result.

*hugs*

Ember

Thank you LisaB. Your advice was invaluable as ever.