Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Saiyan For All Seasons ❯ Where's Yamcha? ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Saiyan For All Seasons
 
Chapter Sixteen
 
Where's Yamcha?
 
Disclaimer: DBZ belongs to Akira Toriyama.
 
***********************************************
 
Trunks was five months old now, and Bulma couldn't imagine life without him. His arrival caused an upheaval, the like of which she was sure even Kami himself couldn't have foreseen. It was amazing how something so small could make waves so big. She had coped though and with minimal help from her parents. One of her main objectives was to make it as easy for them as possible. Trunks was her responsibility, as was Capsule Corporation. It was her duty to manage both.
 
Before Trunks's birth she had trained two of her most senior employees and given them each special privileges. Nikita was trained to help handle her office workload during the day, and Philip was trained to take her place at meetings. He was her business representative, and she had assigned him a whole team to take care of her international affairs. She was proud of her fore planning. Trunks's needs were more challenging than she had calculated they would be, and it would have been impossible to do both if it weren't for the delegation of her two most demanding business roles.
 
There was a room adjoining her office, fully equipped with everything any new mother could possibly need. She had a crib to leave Trunks in when he slept and a playpen next to her desk for when he was awake. She had capsules crammed to capacity with toys, and bizarre playthings of her father's invention. Even the temperature of the room was set by Trunks's body heat and would adapt automatically to his needs. There was a whole manner of gizmos and thingamajigs all ready and waiting to pamper to her and Trunks's every whim, and yet she hardly ever used them. No robot was tried and tested enough to look after her son, no fancy toy could rip a chuckle as delightfully from his young throat as she could, and no place felt more comfortable and right for him to sleep than laying in her arms.
 
As much as she wanted to sit on the sidelines where work was concerned, she couldn't hand over complete authority either. She wasn't happy unless she was overseeing every little hitch and blip, wasn't content until she had rechecked her assistants' work three times over, and couldn't even think about going home until she'd had a video conference with the same company Philip had been in talks with the entire day. There was no helping Bulma. For her it was like trying to walk past Y's when they had a new collection out - completely impossible!
 
Trying to continue her high pace lifestyle through early motherhood was by no means easy. Trunks was an extremely clingy baby. He loved to be held and would only fall asleep in her arms. Even when he was awake and playing, he wasn't happy unless Bulma was close by to be happy with him. His feeding times were erratic and so was his sleep. With only four hours sleep at night, and her ideas about napping during the day becoming completely impractical with the demands of work and Trunks's current routine - or lack thereof - she was finding it hard. Weekends were more than just time away from work. They were her salvation, and she revelled in the luxury of home during those times, not having the energy or inclination to go anywhere or do anything.
 
Despite this, however, Bulma thoroughly loved motherhood. It made her feel alive in a way no other adventure ever had. The only real sacrifice she'd had to make was in her social life. It was… non-existent. She hadn't been anywhere other than home and work since Trunks had arrived, and after the first week of motherhood - when it felt like every man and his dog had dropped by to see her - no one seemed to visit anymore, not even Yamcha. How long ago was it that she'd last seen her friend? Too long ago to remember that was for sure. He'd dropped by once to say that he and Kiko had made up and were living together again and then nothing. When she called Kiko she was told that he was either out or unable to come to the phone. She'd asked her if she could get Yamcha to call when he was free, and yet at no time had there been a return call. It was fairly obvious to Bulma that Kiko was making excuses for Yamcha, but why? It hurt deeply when she finally concluded that her friend was deliberately ignoring her. Even thinking about him could cause hot angry tears to spike in her eyes.
 
Today was a dark, miserable, October day. The clouds were thick, and it had been drizzling steadily since daybreak. She'd given Yamcha one last chance to redeem himself this morning and had phoned first thing. As she expected, it rang straight through to the answer phone. She left a message asking what had she done wrong, and that she missed him like crazy and then hung up, wondering if it was about time to go to his marina apartment and tackle the issue face to face.
 
It was ten o'clock in the morning now, and Bulma was feeding Trunks in the living room. Maybe she would go to see him after lunch. The journey wouldn't take any longer than it would for her to normally get to work. She should be able to manage it, no problem. It was about time she started going back out into the real world again. The clouds were so low and thick that the streetlights were still on. The TV was off, and her parents were in the other room. All that could be heard was the ticking of the large mantle clock, and the low hum of the housebot in front of her.
 
Breastfeeding was refined to an art now, and Bulma let Trunks suck happily away as she plucked the post from the waiting housebot.
 
“Thank you,” she said, and the machine floated off to wherever it was needed next.
 
She yawned as she riffled through her mail. “Let's see what we have here then,” she said, talking to Trunks. “Work, work, work, and more work. Oh look, junk mail, who'd have thought it! Work again - those can wait `til Monday.” Bulma raised her eyes at the next envelope. The address was handwritten and badly smudged. “Mummy doesn't see many handwritten letters. Not sure I recognise the handwriting either. Then again it's so badly written I'm surprised it got here at all.”
 
Bulma turned it over, and smiled a little. It had been misdirected. Capsule Corporation was the only legible word, and it had originally been sent to one of her offices near South City. Intrigued, she put the other letters down. “I think we'll open this one first, Trunks.”
 
She broke the envelope across the top and pulled out the small piece of paper inside. The contents were short and only slightly more legible than the address. It read as follows:
 
Bulma,
Where have you been? Oolong and I miss trying to see what colour panties you're wearing. We're having a gathering at Kame house, Sat, October 14th. Everyone will be there. Don't forget to wear something short and revealing,
Master Roshi.
 
Bulma laughed as she read. Short it might have been, but it said everything it need to, and was at least reassuringly perverted. Some things never changed. Of course she couldn't go - the letters misdirection had taken too long and the 14th was today - but it was nice to be reminded that the outside world was still thinking about her.
 
“Well, there's a sound I haven't heard for a while,” Mrs Briefs exclaimed, walking into the room with a vase of flowers from the sanctuary. “What are you laughing about?”
 
“A letter from Master Roshi,” she said handing it over so her mother could read it.
 
“Oh my!” Mrs Brief put the flowers on the table and took up the note instead. She tittered as she read. “Oh well, its a little short notice, but you should be fine if you start getting ready now. I'll see what we have in the fridge. You can't turn up empty handed. Dear Goku would never forgive me if I didn't send you with those cherry cakes he loves so much!”
 
“Don't worry,” Bulma interrupted before her mother got too involved in the idea. “I'm not going.”
 
“Not going?” she gasped. “Of course you're going. It would be rude not to go!”
 
Bulma sighed. “I know, but there are several reasons why I can't go. It will take me too long to get there for one.”
 
“Nonsense! It's only three hours by air car.”
 
“Precisely. By the time I get there I'd have to come straight back again.”
 
“Well then stay overnight. You know Master Roshi won't mind.”
 
“I'm sure he won't mind,” Bulma agreed,” but I might regret it.”
 
“For shame, Bulma! He might be a dirty old man, but at least he's an honest one.”
 
“Yeah, I know, but I have to get that presentation ready for Philip to take on Monday. I won't be able to finish it if I'm away all weekend.”
 
“Your father can do that for you, and if you take your laptop then you can easily check up on his progress, even help him out if you think it's necessary. Oh!” she said, “just think of the nice weather they are having on Kame Island right now, and then take a look outside. You would have to be mad to want to stay here when you're invited to a tropical beach party!”
 
Bulma looked outside. Rain was clinging to the windows and dripping in a maze down the pane. She had to admit that lapping up the sun on Kame Island was a tempting idea.
 
“What about Trunks?” she said. “Vegeta wants me to keep him a secret until the Android's arrive. I'm pretty sure they'll ask questions if I go waltzing over to Kame Island with a baby in tow.”
 
Mrs. Brief looked up from the note and then moved to sit down next to her daughter.
 
“Bulma,” she said picking up Bulma's hand and rubbing the back of it. “He's five months old now - plenty old enough for you to leave him for one day. I'm more than happy to look after him for you - especially now he's starting on solids. How often does he feed? Every four hours?”
 
“Yes - roughly. You know how inconsistent he is.”
 
“You already have four bottles in the fridge, right?”
 
Bulma nodded.
 
“Then if you express another three he should be okay until tomorrow afternoon, and that's not counting solid feeds. Besides, if the worst comes to the worst then I can always try him on a formula feed. It might make him a little colicky, but I'm sure I'll cope.”
 
“But what if he doesn't take it… what if you need me….”
 
“Then we'll call you. If it's anything urgent Goku can always teleport you back here. He doesn't have to know the real reason. You could just say that you're not feeling very well, which, considering your complexion at the moment, is pretty plausible. I really think you need a break. Fresh air and being with your friends might just help revitalise you a bit, give your cheeks a bit of colour and take those bags away from under your eyes.”
 
“But…”
 
“No `buts'! It is about time that Bulma Briefs thought about her needs first.”
 
Bulma had no other reason not to go, did she? She really did want to see her friends again, but she had to be pragmatic about it. Goku! Gohan! Master Roshi, Oolong, perhaps even Tien and Chaotzu - they would all be there. Yamcha too. Her stomach knotted. Did she hope Yamcha was there, or did she fear it?
 
She swallowed hard. “I know, Mum, and you're right.” She looked up from under bangs and rearranged her clothes now Trunks was asleep, “Yamcha will probably be there,” she said as calmly as possible.
 
Mrs Brief sighed. Bulma had spoken to her parents about his absence, and they had felt it just as keenly as she had. Capsule Corporation just wasn't the same without his regular visits. “You still think he's deliberately ignoring you?”
 
“I don't think anything!” she snapped. “I know he is.”
 
“And you're sure?” Mrs. Briefs asked, worry evident in her voice. “He's such a nice young man! I hate to think badly of him. It would be completely out of character for him to be so cold to you intentionally.”
 
“I know, but what else could it be? Maybe I've done something wrong? I mean… I know I got involved with his relationship with Kiko, which was probably a bad idea, but it was only because he made me involved. All I was trying to do was help him - they got back together didn't they? What could have possibly made him so angry that he won't return any of my calls?”
 
“I honestly don't know, Bulma.” Mrs Brief laid a comforting hand on her daughter's shoulder and squeezed it reassuringly. “But you won't find any answers moping about here all day, will you?”
 
She was right of course and her sound logic broke straight though the last good reason Bulma had to deny visiting her friends.
 
It was surprising how quickly everything fell into place once Bulma made up her mind to go to Kame Island. She gave her father a brief outline of the presentation Philip needed as she expressed more bottles for Trunks, and her mother packed her overnight bag for her at the same time. Less than an hour after first receiving the letter from Master Roshi she was kissing her son goodbye for the first time and giving her mum strict instructions as to nap time and feeding - as though she had never looked after a baby before.
 
Bulma's stomach clenched as she closed the door of her air car. How was she ever supposed to relax at Kame house? Surely she would spend the whole time worrying about her son. No! She couldn't afford to think like that. Her mum was right. She needed some time to herself, and if she couldn't spend the time relaxing then at least she would be able to see Yamcha and find out what she had done to upset him so badly. There would be no peace of mind for her until she had some answers.
 
With one last look at Trunks, she started the engine of her air car, put the car into gear, and left. To save time she changed the air pressure, and forgoing the roads, decided to take the air car above the clouds and to a level which meant she could gun the engines and get to Kame island as quickly as possible. At least once she got there she would have an instantaneous way back if she needed it. Until then she would waste as little time as she could.
 
Two hours and thirty-five minutes later, give or take a few, Bulma was circling over Kame Island. That had to be close to a new Bulma record. She made a few passes before landing, taking a good look at who was outside. Gohan, Krillin, and Goku were all in the sparkling, crystal clear water and waving madly at her in between dunking each other beneath the waves. Tien and Chaotzu were tending to the barbeque to the left of the steps and Master Roshi, Oolong and Puar were all relaxing on recliners. Even Piccolo was there, hovering in between the palm trees, arms and legs folded, and meditating with his eyes closed. There was no sign of Yamcha, but Puar was there. They were pretty inseparable. If one were there, the other would be close by… somewhere.
 
She swivelled the engines upright and slowly descended to the island. Goku was already out of the water by the time she landed and met her with his customary bear hug as she opened the door and climbed out.
 
“Bulma!” he said, squeezing her tight. “I was beginning to forget what you looked like. It's so good to see you.”
 
“You too!” she said, her voice clogging with emotion. It was so good to be around her friends. Nothing and everything had changed since they last all met for their camping adventure in the mountains. Oh man! She had missed them all so much, and as the hugs and welcomes went around, Bulma had to make a real effort to stop the tears that wanted to force themselves from her eyes and pour down her cheeks.
 
“I'm really glad you're here,” Krillin said. “We hadn't heard anything from you so we weren't sure if you would come or not.”
 
“Well, it was close,” she said, looking over Krillin's head to see if she could spot Yamcha inside Kame house. “The direction was so badly written that I only got the invite this morning!”
 
Chi Chi was there, but she couldn't see Yamcha at all.
 
“Tell me about it! I never got mine. If I hadn't gone to see Goku last week I wouldn't have known anything about it.”
 
The sun beat down on her. She hadn't had a chance to change. All she'd done was put a bikini on under her tracksuit trousers and hooded top. The dreary autumn morning she'd left behind at Capsule Corporation was a distant memory now. If only the son she'd left behind was the same. For five months she'd constantly been with him, and now the arm that continually ached from holding him, ached just as keenly to hold him once again.
 
Feeling the heat she decided to take her top off. She pulled on the sleeves and slipped the thick material over her head. Folding it neatly she left it on the driver's seat before she capsulated her air car.
 
As predicted, Master Roshi was in front of her in a flash and staring openly at her cleavage. A deep blush stained his cheeks as he blatantly ogled. “Why, Bulma!” he exclaimed. “I do believe you've grown since I saw you last.”
 
“Yeah,” Oolong added, raising an eyebrow. “Are those implants or what?”
 
“It's amazing how they cover the scars nowadays. What do you think Oolong? That's got to be at least a two size increase.”
 
Outwardly Bulma fumed, but inwardly she was kicking herself for having chosen something to wear that made her bust so obvious. All she wanted was to show off her body, and get a little tan. She was fortunate that pregnancy had left her stomach relatively flat and stretch-mark free, what she hadn't thought about was the dramatic size increase that breastfeeding had given her chest, especially evident now in nothing but a bikini top. Before Trunks, the thin material probably wouldn't have been considered revealing, but now she was almost falling out of it.
 
“Will you at least give me five minutes and a proper welcome to the island before you revert back to lechers!” she snapped and slapped them both hard across the face.
 
Oolong put a hand to his face and snickered. “Missed you too!”
 
“Well,” she huffed, hands on hips. “Now that's out of the way, where's Yamcha?”
 
“Yeah, where is Yamcha?” Krillin asked Puar. “I thought he would have been here by now.”
 
Bulma blinked in surprise and her heart sunk. “He's not here?” she asked, unable to keep the disappointment from her voice.
 
“Don't be silly, Bulma,” Puar trilled. “You know he's training in the desert. There's no way his invitation reached him.”
 
Training? In the desert? What on Kami's green earth? He was supposed to be in West Capitol City ignoring her, wasn't he? Bulma was instantly desperate to hear more.
 
“I don't have a clue where he is. Although, I was wondering why he wasn't returning my calls. I just thought he was being an arsehole, or that I'd done something to piss him off.”
 
“Oh Bulma! You know he wouldn't do that, but surely Kiko gave you the letter?”
 
Bulma was thoroughly confused now. “No, I've spoken to her a couple of times, but all she said was that Yamcha was out. She didn't say anything about a letter or him training.”
 
“Well that's strange! I saw her the other day, and she said everything was okay.”
 
Very strange, Bulma thought, Very strange indeed.
 
“Maybe she forgot.” Bulma said, trying to play the moment down. “After all she's a single working mum. It can't be easy to stay on top of things. Do you know why he went to train? He hasn't shown much interest in it since he started living with Kiko.”
 
“I wish I knew.” Puar admitted. “All he said to me was that he went to see you and that Vegeta was there. He said that something Vegeta said made him think about what was really important to him and that he realised he was being silly by not training. I don't know what it was Vegeta said. After all, I've been saying the same thing to him for the last year, and Kami knows he hasn't paid me any notice. It does seem strange that Kiko didn't pass on the letter to you though. I mean… I saw him write it and give it to her. He even said that, seeing as he was going to be gone for a long time, it might be a nice idea if you and Kiko spent more time together, especially because of your situation.”
 
“My situation?” she asked suddenly feeling very open. Yamcha wouldn't have told Puar about Trunks, would he? They were close. It was extremely plausible that he had. It was one thing keeping it from the rest of the Z Senshi, but to keep it from Puar? That would have to be hard for him.
 
“I'm not sure what he meant by that either; he probably meant because of you becoming CEO. I understand that you've been really busy since you took over.”
 
“Very,” Bulma agreed, breathing a little more easily. “And I apologise to everyone for not being as good a friend as I should have been this last year.”
 
“Hey!” Gohan said, “It's okay, Bulma. I know what it's like studying. If running Capsule Corporation is anything like it then I can understand that you wouldn't have time for anything else. Don't tell Mum, but I sneak out and train when I can, but I bet you can't do that.”
 
“Not nearly as much as I'd like to, kiddo.” She winked.
 
After that the conversation naturally shifted, and they all went inside to play a little poker and say hello to Chi Chi who was already making good progress, armed with marigolds and an industrial size bucket of disinfectant, at making the small home look presentable.
 
Tien came in not long after with the food piled high on huge serving plates. They ate hungrily, but none so hungrily as Goku. The afternoon passed pleasantly, but Bulma wasn't able to enjoy it as much as everyone else. For one, she had her phone next to her, expecting a call from home any minute, and secondly she was trying to think through everything she'd learned from Puar. There was a major chunk of this situation that didn't add up, and most of it seemed to end abruptly with Kiko. Bulma didn't want to think badly of someone Yamcha cared so much about, but she was angry, angry that Kiko had lied to her.
 
She cupped her chin as she tried to think the situation out. There was only one way to find out what was really going on. She had to confront Kiko with it openly. Phoning her obviously wasn't going to work. She needed to sort the situation out face to face, but she couldn't do that in good faith knowing that Yamcha was ignorant. That would be unfair. She had to speak to him first.
 
“You know,” she said, pushing her sunglasses into her hair and sitting up from the recliner. “It feels wrong without Yamcha here.”
 
“You're right, Bulma,” agreed Krillin, looking up from the giant sandcastle he was making with Gohan. “It's a pity he couldn't make it.”
 
“Yeah, but the day isn't over yet.”
 
“I don't know,” Goku chimed in, “There's probably only a couple hours of daylight left.”
 
“And the desert is even further than West Capitol, Bulma.” Puar added. “I miss him too, but there's no way he can get here now.”
 
“Well, of course there is. Son Kun can get him using IT.” She looked at Goku. “You can pick up on his life energy, can't you?”
 
“Sure I can!” Goku beamed, getting up and dusting himself down. “It'll take just a little while.” He put his fingers to his forehead and concentrated hard. “A little to the east, and bingo! I got him. Be right back guys!” He waved as he disappeared.
 
Bulma smiled smugly. “See, now it will feel like a real Kame island reunion!” And then she laid back down.