Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Fall of the Mighty ❯ Infantile Distractions ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~Superior Is My Middle Name~

Don't you get any hentai ideas!! That does not come till later. This chapter is purely cursing, violence, and a tiny bit of sweetness. Yes, I just pulled these names out of my @$$ but DBZ tends to follow certain parent's names so I had them follow the Daughter-in-law's name. Just accept it! This was kinda forced and sorta morphed into an unexpected direction…but I needed a filler chapter for character expansion. There are other things in Vegeta's life besides the gravity room and Kaky, whether you/he like/s it or not!

~Too Bad My Last Name Isn't Fawker~

*Infantile Distractions*

The next morning he felt much improved, Saiyajin healing abilities finally kicking in. Before managing to get out to train he was accosted by two screaming brats, Naga and her ten year old brother Nalen. "GRANDPA!! GRANDPA!! Hurry up! We gotta go!"

"What! Go where?" He winced at the noise.

"Were all going to the mall and the park." Explained the boy.

"We? I don't think so."

Naga turned tearful. "But you promised!!"

"I did not!" Indignant and even a tiny bit intimidated, Vegeta stood strait and haughty.

The little girl took on an "enraged Vegeta" expression. "You promised you'd go out for my birthday!!"

"Your what? When did I promise?"

"A long time ago!!" The girl stomped her foot and smirked, crossing her arms.

"You did." The boy said smugly. "About three weeks ago."

Vegeta growled then returned to his room to change his training clothes for slacks and a dark shirt. He entered the kitchen where breakfast was being made and his daughter-in-law, Nalia, smiled at him. "Do you know what day it is?"

"I have already gotten that lecture, just give me some food."

The woman arched an eyebrow at his tone but smiled knowingly. Her father-in-law might be sour but it was easy enough to see he loved his grandkids whole-heartedly whether he admitted it or not.

Soon Vegeta was dragged out of the house and into Nalia's car along with Goku. Goku, being the biggest, sat up front while the two Briefs men squeezed in back with the kids between them. "I don't see why we don't just fly, it would be faster." Vegeta complained.

His daughter-in-law glared at him through the rearview mirror. "First of all, Naga and I can't fly. Second, you can't just fly through town someone could see! End of discussion!"

"Hn."

Vegeta loathed malls. He hated stores. He despised public places. They merely served to remind him how ignorant and annoying the universe was, or at least this corner of it. He remembered the last time he'd been to the mall. He did not want to experience that again. He'd nearly killed a number of imbeciles and only restrained himself because he couldn't afford to have his presence at that establishment trumpeted across the news. He followed the others silently, eyes darting everywhere. Too many people. Anything could happen here, he disliked the chaos. Goku, on the other hand, loved it. He didn't get to come here much and was just as excited as the children. Anything that kept the big lug so occupied was counted as a blessing by the cranky ouji. Despite his paranoia for his family, Vegeta enjoyed watching the *three* children so happy, even Kakarott. There was just something about witnessing such light-hearted play. The prince had so little understanding of it. The really embarrassing part was when Kakarott insisted on riding the merry-go-round along with the kids. Even then it was just sickeningly sweet watching them. After three hours wandering the sprawling edifice the group approached a shop filled with shiny glassware and figurines. Naga and Goku were immediately suction-cupped to the windows. Vegeta turned away muttering about "incessant wastes of time" and headed for the food court to claim an empty bench. It seemed like forever before they left the mall to head for the park. Along the way Vegeta was forced to carry his depressed granddaughter and was relatively pleased that the strain was not at all as bad as before. "They didn't have it grandpa!" She sobbed mournfully.

"Have what?"

"They had a crystal dragon that I wanted sooooo much. It's gone!!"

"And what was so special about it?" Vegeta was obviously disinterested.

"It was pretty and shiny and it matched my hair and I really really liked it a lot."

"It matched your hair? Now that *is* quite a feat. One could hardly guess there is any Saiyajin in you at all." Her grandfather flicked one of her spiky locks with his finger. The bright orange hair shimmered in the sun with scarlet highlights. Clearly her mother's influence.

"Grandpa, what if I never see it again? I want it so much!"

"There is more to life than baubles, girl, you will live." He responded dryly.

"Grandpa! I want you to find the mean person who took my dragon and beat him up!"

Vegeta chuckled. "If I happen to run into him I'll do just that. Now go play and leave me alone."

The park was filled with families and rambunctious children. The Briefs found an open area and laid out their expansive picnic lunch. They spent the day there eating and talking and playing. That is everyone except Vegeta, who sat against the large oak they camped under. He merely watched and waited, unable to leave for fear of the wrath of a newly turned five-year-old. Soon the light began to dim and the park grew empty. It had been a long day, the children were still zipping around but the adults were beginning to run down, even Kakarott. Vegeta's back was also starting to pain him again though not too much. As the sun began to go down Goku and Trunks set about loading the car up from the picnic while Vegeta and Nalia watched the brats. The siblings were taunting and chasing each other and suddenly raced off into the trees. Their mother yelled for them to come back but they ignored her. "Vegeta, could you get them please? You're a lot faster than I am." Grandpa made a point of striding very slowly into the wooded area, grumbling all the way. After a few minutes a shriek pierced the still park and Vegeta put on a burst of speed, flying and dodging between the trees. At the far end of the wooded park were a gang of grungy teenage boys and the two children. "Leave my sister alone!"

"Oh yeah? What ya gonna do, ya pipsqueak?"

"I'm gonna do this!" Shouts rang out ahead. Vegeta arrived just in time to see Nalen hit from behind by one of the boys with a tree limb. Two gangmembers were passed out on the ground but seven remained standing. One of them had little Naga by her hair and was laughing. Fury filled the ouji. 'How dare they attack my children!' Vegeta stepped into the clearing. "Why don't you pick on someone your own size?"

One kid grinned. "I would but I still haven't seen anyone yet."

Vegeta carelessly strolled into the middle of them. "Then I guess you're shit out of luck." The ouji attacked. Four boys went down almost at once but a scream drew Vegeta's attention to Naga. The boy holding her now brandished a knife. Vegeta roared and was struck from behind. Pain exploded through him but he ignored it. Powering up, Vegeta knocked away his attacker before appearing in front of the knife-wielding boy and crushing his arm. The last boy was flung into a tree. Before the delinquent hit the ground Vegeta was sitting with his frightened granddaughter already cuddled into his lap. The encounter had taken less than one minute. Goku burst into the clearing and dove to check on Nalen who was raising himself up off the ground. He had a large bump on his head but was otherwise fine. Trunks was right behind him.

"Hush, little one, you're alright." Vegeta soothed. "They won't hurt you again." The other three approached him.

"I'm sorry, grandfather. I should have been able to protect her." Nalen was shamefaced and Vegeta showed no expression. "You have been lax in your training, you will remedy that. This will NEVER happen again. Do you understand?" He directed the question to both his son and grandson.

"Yes, grandfather." Trunks nodded solemnly.

"Without another word Vegeta flew off with his granddaughter. Her mother leapt for joy when the prince handed Naga over and hugged her fiercely, when she turned around the he was gone. For the remainder of the evening Vegeta was nowhere to be seen until it came time for the five-year-old's bedtime. Appearing at the top of the stairs, he took Naga from Trunks. "Take your son and begin training. If either of you manage to crawl out of bed tomorrow I will consider it my turn with both of you." Vegeta carried the little girl into her room and tucked her in. "Grandpa?"

"Hn."

"Please check the closet."

"Why?"

The child hesitated as if afraid to tell her reason. Finally she took a deep breath and answered. "The monster."

"What?!"

"There is a monster that lives in the closet and sometimes under the bed."

"There is no monster." Vegeta stated flatly. The little girl crossed her arms and frowned regally. "Check anyway."

Grrrrr…. Vegeta made a show of opening the closet and tossing about stray clothing then he knelt down and flung odd stuffed animals from under the bed. "There! No monster, just a mess!" Naga snuggled into bed looking satisfied. She held up one tiny finger and cricked it motioning for Vegeta to come close. Sitting on the bed he bent to her and she beamed at him. "I love you, grandpa." Vegeta hesitated before giving a small genuine smile, he was at a loss for words. Suddenly his hand appeared before her eyes holding a plain white box and distracting her perfectly. Her face lit up and she took it. Opening it carefully she lifted out the crystal dragon she'd wanted so badly earlier. Its' red and orange scales glinted beautifully against it's bed of jagged crystals. :Gasp!: "Yay!! Thank you, Grandpa!! It's just the one I wanted! Thank you! It's just the most bestest thing ever!" As she yelled enthusiastically Vegeta found his throat crushed in her grip.

"Fine, brat! Lay down!" He took the figurine from her and set it on the nightstand. Taking the here-to-fore overlooked cord he plugged it into the wall, lighting up the sparkly glass. "I don't know how you'll be able to sleep with something so bright in your face, but there!" He grouched. His face softened as she looked up at him sleepily. "You are a Saiyajin princess, you need never fear anything, I will see to that, little one." The prince watch his granddaughter fall asleep. 'Perhaps that baka is right. Perhaps love is not quite so alien as I thought.' Exiting the room he ran strait into said baka. Goku grinned down at him almost as happily as Naga had.

'Great.'

Vegeta turned away expressionlessly and headed for his deserted wing. Goku, having witnessed most of the grandfather/granddaughter moment, followed. "Hey Vegeta, when did you get that dragon?"

"None of your business, it should be enough that I lowered myself to get it."

"Is that why half the store is being remodeled?"

Vegeta chose not to dignify that remark.

"Wow, you're a great granddad. I can never figure out what my kids want."

The prince's eyes rolled toward the ceiling. "If you really want to do something you should train that child of Goten's."

"Flick?"

"No."

"Flea?" Goku was completely surprised. She was only seven.

"The boy is a bully, hard as that is to believe coming from your blood. I believe he has a bit of Raditz in him. The girl wishes to be a great warrior like you and I so she may stand up for herself." Goku thought about it. "I never noticed, thanks Vegeta."

"Hn."

They neared Vegeta's room. "By the way, how do you feel?" Goku's hand automatically reached out to touch Vegeta's back and the prince caught his wrist in an iron grip. "You become too familiar, Kakarott. I do not need you looking over my shoulder, go home." Ignoring the hurt look on Goku's face the prince entered his room and shut the door. The big Saiyan stood there staring sadly at the door before transporting to his lonely cabin in the mountains. For a little while he had begun to hope but he realized he was being foolish.

Vegeta shut out the other Saiyan, walked to the bed and flopped onto it with a grunt of pain. :hmph: 'Why do I always end up in these situations? Does fate really find my life so entertaining?' He sighed and shifted uncomfortably. 'He's so easy to read, why didn't I see it before? Now I see it in everything he does. It practically glows from him. Damn it!' Sitting up he looked into the mirror across the room. He still was pretty beaten up. 'At least I can do something about this but they will find out. He'll come looking for me, I'm sure. I suppose it has been long enough.' He glared at nothing, he didn't like to share and didn't want to have to give up his privacy but this had gotten ridiculous. The lucky hit that kid had somehow managed to land on him had tweaked his back again. He had just been back to training standards and found himself felled by a weakling earth brat. The straw that broke the camel's back. He had always seen that as a figurative expression but found it quite ironic now. What a failure, what a fiasco he was. But he was shackled, no escape for him, no easy way out. He was not willing to pay the cost. It wasn't really like him to take the easy way but he'd tried once already and had few things to loose anymore.

Easy way? What is he thinking of? Hmmmmm…..

I've noticed that MM.org readers seem to be rather chinsy with reviews. Either that or my story sucks so bad that nobody is even willing to tell me about it. Thanks to all my reviewers so far, you guys are great and I appreciate you telling me what you think. I hope you continue.