Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Royal Namekian Blues ❯ Bulma's unlikely bodyguard ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 8
Special thanks to Veggie's Mate for suggestions and Christine for suggestions Beta-ing. I don't own Dragon Ball Z. Toryiama and Toei Animation do. I don't make any money because this is fan fiction! Also thanks to all the new reviewers and my faithful ones! You all make this possible!

After the first half hour, the group lapsed into silence. Right in front of everyone Vegeta ate no less than ten plates loaded with potato salad, spare ribs and shish kabobs. Yamcha who sat on Bulma's other side opposite Krillin knocked back his third Budweiser. Krillin and Oolong had attempted to lighten the mood with amusing anecdotes about Krillin's dates with Marron.
"So you two think you're pretty serious?" Oolong asked him.
"Well she's great fun and all."
"Not to mention she looks a lot like another pretty girl you know?" Yamcha joked.
"Who the hell cares?" Vegeta grunted.
"Vegeta, be NICE," Bulma hissed, jabbing him in the ribs with her elbow.
"I don't DO nice," Vegeta mumbled back, waiting to swallow his food before continuing to speak. Bulma hiked a brow, glad that her Prince showed etiquette in SOME regards. Plates were neatly stacked on the edge of the grill and immediately before Vegeta, unlike the haphazard towers that would have born witness to Goku's presence.
"Wow, you'd do kick ass in a pie eating contest," Oolong said. "You really put me to shame there."
"Whatever," Vegeta snorted, accepting a refill on his banana daiquiri milkshake. Bulma poured directly from the pitcher of the blender sitting on the top of the cooler. The electrical cord ran behind Vegeta's chair to the outlet just beside the sliding doors.
"He's got a point, Vegeta," said Krillin.
"The day I engage in such a puerile exercise is the day I link arms with Kakkarot and go skipping and laughing like a sissy down Snake way," Vegeta returned.
"Oooh, so the time HFIL freezes over then?" Krillin grinned.
"Hnh," Vegeta nodded, picking up his glass for another swig of spiked milkshake. He tensed up a few minutes later, setting his glass down on the folding table with a light clink. Yamcha crumpled up his beer can and tossed it accurately across the table. It landed with a clink in the trash can right to Krillin's left, startling oolong. Vegeta and Krillin however didn't flinch in the slightest.
"Two points," Yamcha grinned.
"Who cares," Vegeta mumbled. Puar squeaked impatiently, flitting back and forth from sitting on Yamcha's shoulder to Krillin's.
"What's gotten into you?"
"What do you think? I'm just NERVOUS because you know," Puar squealed.
"Someone crazy glue that floating stuffed animal before I get ticked off," Vegeta mumbled, leaning over towards Bulma. Oolong grabbed the barbecue sauce, winking suspiciously at Yamcha. While Vegeta wasn't looking he tipped the entire bottle of horseradish onto Vegeta's next helping of shish kabobs. Krillin rolled his eyes, shaking his head when he realized Puar had been a distraction so Yamcha and Oolong could have a little fun at Vegeta's expense. Didn't those idiots know they were risking their own existence for a bit of fun?
"Get him another milk shake, and maybe he'll settle down," Yamcha whispered, leaning over towards her.
"I heard that, you idiot," Vegeta smirked. He grabbed the shish kabobs remaining on his eleventh plate of food, and bit into one of them.
“So, what did you guys think about earlier?” asked Oolong.
“What?” choked Vegeta, erupting into a coughing fit. Bulma slugged him repeatedly on the back while Krillin handed him a glass of water.
“I'm FINE, I don't need help, Baldie,” he gasped, squeezing his dark brows together in a grimace. His tongue stung bitterly with the hot needles of pain.
“Jeez Vegeta who put a bug up your butt I was just trying to be friendly,” Krillin mumbled.
“Don't take it personally, its okay,” Bulma whispered, taking the glass from Krillin and handing it to the red-faced prince. Turning away he inhaled deeply.
“What the hell was IN that?” he growled. “My tongue is on FIRE!”
“Um it was the nuclear-fire-hot sauce I think or else a little horse radish and cayenne. It's a delicacy on Earth?” Oolong said, glancing at the bottle. “Right?”
“I'm guessing they don't have barbecue spare ribs with cayenne pepper in space?” Yamcha joked.
"You guys play nice," Bulma growled at all of them. "This is NOT kindergarten, okay? So knock it off or everyone's out on their asses."
"You're a real party pooper, Bulma," Krillin shook his head.
"Who's responsible for this? Because they'd better be able to dodge…" Vegeta snarled.
"Settle down. Relax, we're all friends here," said Puar. "Right?"'
"Right," Yamcha said, putting on an innocent face. He leaned back in his folding chair and propped his feet up on the table next to his emptied plate. Bulma shoved a bottle of water into Vegeta's hand.
“Grrr,” Vegeta mumbled, swigging the entire bottle in one gulp.
“Um, Bulma, can I talk to you privately?” asked Yamcha.
“No,” Vegeta snorted, accepting another plate of spare ribs.
“Excuse me?” Yamcha asked.
“Guys,” Krillin said, getting up. “This isn't the time or place for this. Goku will be here soon, and if he doesn't get here before YOU know who does.”
“Sit down Krillin, and you behave Yamcha. No fighting in my house, got it?” Bulma snapped, pushing him down into his seat by his shoulder.
“What is your problem dude?” Yamcha scowled at Vegeta.
“You are, weakling,” said Vegeta angrily. “And I suppose you think you can just come in to MY home any time that.”
“YOUR home?” Yamcha spluttered. Yamcha leapt to his feet, leaning across the table and glaring at Vegeta. The Saiyan Prince pushed away from the table, sliding his chair out. He stood up, glaring back at Yamcha.
“Did I STUTTER?” he said in a low rasping voice. His onyx eyes fixed Yamcha in a death ray stare, paralyzing everyone else where they stood. The muscles in Yamcha's neck twitched under the scars.
“Now wait a damn minute,” Yamcha answered. “What right do you have to say anything?”
“Um hello! Guys, now's not the time or place. Doesn't it bother you in the least that…” Krillin urged.
“Krillin stay out of this,” Yamcha barked at him.
“Um, I think I'd like more shish kabobs,” Oolong mumbled, scooting his chair back from the table. He shrank down into his chair to make himself as unobtrusive as possible. Krillin swallowed hard, glancing back from Vegeta to Yamcha, then to Bulma urgently.
“Boys, settle down NOW!” Bulma yelled, clapping her hands. “I won't have any of you acting like children here, or I'm throwing you ALL OUT! Yamcha, sit DOWN right now, and Vegeta, simmer down and cool off. This is NOT worth arguing about, and I'm going to…”
Sulkily Vegeta flopped down into his folding chair, wrapping his arms before his chest. “He has no business being here, woman,” he answered. “You know it as well as I do.”
“Bulma, what's going on here?” Yamcha asked.
“Sit DOWN!” Bulma yelled. “NOW!”
“All right, I'm sitting, but you care to explain what this guy thinks he's doing saying I can't come here? Excuse me, but I live here too!”
“Correction, Yamcha. my father wants you to take your stuff and move out ASAP. He's sick of you freeloading off of us, and so am I.”
“Excuse the hell me?” Yamcha stammered. “Last time I checked I was welcome here, unlike SOME people.”
Here he glared directly at Vegeta, who smirked. “I suppose the woman forgot to tell you.”
“Bulma, what's he saying?” Yamcha asked, flopping down in his chair. Puar exchanged glances with Oolong while Krillin tensed in his chair, powers at the ready to step in between the two men.
“When you barged in here, I told you I needed to talk to you, but you just dismissed me like you ALWAYS do,” said Bulma angrily. “Things have CHANGED.”
“You invited HIM to live here and now I'm getting kicked out. Bulma, are you insane?” Yamcha choked.
“No, I'm quite sane. You're growing apart from me. You've made it abundantly clear that you're bored with just me, and I'm letting you go, so we can BOTH see other people,” said Bulma firmly. “Got it?”
“Honey, when the hell did this happen?” he whined. “Bulma, you know me.”
“Save it, I don't want to hear it. You and I are just not working out. And besides, I've met someone else. It's time to move on, Yamcha,” said Bulma quietly. “I think we should just be friends.”
“Ouch. Wow, I didn't realize Bulma,” Yamcha whispered. “Are you sure?”
“Seems pretty clear to me, idiot,” said Vegeta. “She doesn't' want you here, and I don't either. So get lost.”
“Um guys, this is REALLY not the time to be talking about this? Don't any of you care in the least that…?”
“Krillin shut up!” Yamcha exploded. “Can't you see my love life is a shambles?”
“You won't have any kind of life if you guys don't knock it off!” Bulma snapped. Vegeta lifted his hand overhead, pointing two fingers upward. They glittered menacingly with bluish white ki.

“That's QUITE ENOUGH! Shut up everyone, or the next one will actually do some DAMAGE!” Vegeta exploded. A blinding white flash punctuated his exclamation, popping with the sound of a loud firecracker. Fortunately for them he had restrained his temper to just a fraction of his strength, or he would have smashed it to matchsticks. However everyone had frozen in place, afraid to move an inch.
“That does it. you just stepped over the line!” Yamcha yelled back.
“He's right, bro. We need to focus on FRIEZA who's about to KILL us?” Krillin said, grabbing his friend's arm.
“Baldie and I are the only two here who've fought Freeza, so zip it you clown,” Vegeta barked at Yamcha. “Unless you WANT to be killed!”
“I'm not gonna stand for this,” Yamcha retorted, almost knocking the table over. Plates and cups rattled with the shock of his fist landing on it.
“Uh guys, I don't wanna complain, but I'm allergic to dying!” Oolong yelled.
“He's right, all of you,” Bulma said. “Sit down Yamcha and I MEAN it! I won't have you two throwing ki blasts in my home! Understand? Vegeta, you can make your point without killing him, so do so!”
“Fine, I was just GOING to, woman!” Vegeta barked at her. “Now I strongly suggest that we take the battle to wherever Freeza's headed, because when he gets here he's going to blow this miserable planet of yours sky high. And I for one want to go down fighting…”
“Freeza? Are you sure?” Yamcha gasped.
“You mean you can't feel it?” asked Krillin.
“Exactly my point, Cue ball,” Vegeta snapped. “All of us can't just sit here stuffing our faces while we wait for Kakkarot! We must face Freeza now before he gets the upper hand!”
“Now you're not the boss of me!” Yamcha yelled.
“I'm the Prince, and this is MY home, coward. Be glad that I don't destroy you where you stand,” Vegeta snarled.
“There you go again! Bulma what's he talking about?” Yamcha protested.
“Yamcha SHUT up! He's serious! Vegeta's right, we have to face Freeza… Goku or no Goku. He knows what we're up against. And we need to respect his knowledge, Yamcha.”
“This isn't over, Vegeta,” Yamcha said, glaring at Bulma.
“Later, Yamcha. There are more important things right now,” said Krillin angrily. “Like that KI heading towards us. Freeza's way more powerful than anything you've faced buddy. So let's just forget this and try and get along?”
“That's why I don't need to put up with this clown's presence a moment longer!” Vegeta snarled at Yamcha. “I don't need him getting in my way when I face Freeza again!”
“Fine,” Yamcha snorted. “You win for now. But you and I are gonna settle this.”
“Yamcha, when this is over you get your stuff or I'll dump it on the front lawn,” Bulma said quietly, grabbing his arm. “Got it? You're gonna have to find some other place to live.”
“You… wait a minute. you mean that you and Vegeta…" Yamcha shook his head. He sank down in his chair dejectedly.
“I'm living here now, loser,” said Vegeta with a mischievous smile. “You're not. End of story. She doesn't' want you here. So leave or else I disintegrate you.”
“This isn't happening,” Yamcha moaned.
“It is, and there's not much you can do about it,” Puar said sadly. “Right now we have to worry about Freeza, or else there won't be a love life for you to cry over.”
“Great, just great,” Yamcha murmured. He clapped a hand over his face, shaking his head. Angrily he leapt up from his chair, and stormed out of the room. Glancing over his shoulder he glared at Vegeta who had gotten up to sit in the chair right next to Bulma's. Krillin and Oolong wisely kept their mouths shut, whistling and looking at invisible spots to their left and right over the city.
“You'd better not hurt her, Vegeta, or you'll answer to me,” Yamcha said quietly, turning around to face them once more.
“Enough of this, I'm leaving NOW. The rest of you fools can stay here or else try and keep up with me,” said Vegeta, glancing at Bulma. He leapt up on the balcony, and took off. Krillin sighed deeply, and leapt off as well. Yamcha cast Bulma an agonizing look before he took off as well.
“I hope you're happy Bulma,” he said softly before he left. “Cause I really loved you babe… and if he ever leaves you, you know where to find me.”
“I know,” she said, and glanced at Puar and Oolong. “Dammit, they left me behind! What am I doing?”
`Uh, you're not gonna go AFTER them are you?” asked Oolong.
“I am, you're going to clean this up, if you like?” Bulma said sweetly.
“Bulma wait its too dangerous!” Puar squeaked, floating quickly after her. Bulma raced out, leaving Oolong to sit there shivering in terror.
Angrily Bulma climbed into the air car, with Puar right after her. She punched buttons and lifted off into the air, streaking off in the direction of the glimmering shapes. Vegeta's sonic boom rumbled seconds before, followed by the other males. As she put more speed into her flight, she heard the sizzling hiss of several other ki trails whooshing right by.
Two approached from the east, while one was from the proximity of West Province 439. It wasn't too difficult to deduce who they were. Tien, Chioutzu, and Gohan. Another contrail that burst through with green energies must be Piccolo. He zipped in a direction that was a different angle from the others.
Following them at a discrete distance, Bulma ignored Puar's protests. Her air car streaked out over a vast open plane, littered with deserts and craggy rocks. Already she caught a glimpse of several energy readings on her scopes. Because she had incorporated the technology of Raditz' old scouter into the sensor system, she could easily lock in on everyone's various ki, especially Vegeta's. For a moment they all flared, then stopped while she came in to land.
"Vegeta! Yamcha, HEY!" she called, hovering just overhead. Scattered about were the Z fighters, including a short figure wearing a shirt that had BAD ASS scrawled across the back in black stitching.
"Bulma, what are YOU doing here?" Vegeta shouted up at her. "Don't you have ANY sense woman?"
"Bulma? Puar? You shouldn't be here. For once I agree with him," Yamcha exclaimed. Jumping down she rushed over to stand beside them.
"You shouldn't have come, Bulma," Vegeta mumbled at her.
"What, and miss this? C'mon, I need to know. Besides, I want to get a look at this guy you say can blow up planets. and anyway, does it matter WHERE we are if he can just point his finger and go poof?"
"Fine. Just stay out of the way," said Vegeta gruffly. "Don't say I didn't warn you, and keep CLOSE."
"I won't get in the way!"
"You will so! I gotta agree with the Prince on this one… you'd better go home now, Bulma," said Yamcha.
"You weakling, stay with her then, if you're so inclined," said Vegeta gruffly. "You're responsible for her safety. Keep her out of the way, and keep her safe."
"Huh, well I think I can handle that," Yamcha said, blinking at Vegeta in wonder. Had he actually been appointed as an unofficial bodyguard?
"Great, thanks a LOT, Vegeta," Bulma rolled her eyes, hands on her hips.

The three of them stood in a triangle formation, with Bulma and Yamcha standing just before her air car while Vegeta turned to face the distant mountains. They were on the surface of a flat-topped bluff, overlooking the desert stretching for miles. Yamcha relaxed for a moment, and smiled at Bulma. "Guess who's coming," he said.
"Who?" asked Bulma, blinking at him. Vegeta whirled around, curling his upper lip in distaste.
"Who do you think? Kakkarot's brat and Cue ball," said Vegeta. "I'd wondered what took them so long. I suppose they went to go change into appropriate clothes… unlike SOME of us."
"Heh, you can always zip back and change into your armor… and I'll stay here with Bulma?" Yamcha teased.
"Shut up, you weakling. Don't make me regret putting you in charge of the…"
"HEY nobody's in charge of ME! Got it?" Bulma yelled, resting her hands on her hips and marching up to Vegeta. "Except maybe YOU and you'd BETTER not abuse that power because I can tell you RIGHT where to go!"
"Humph, don't push me, woman," Vegeta snapped back.
"HEY! You guys, down here!" Yamcha yelled, waving his arms wildly. Bulma and Vegeta glared up at the two distant figures blowing up into the shapes of Krillin and Gohan streaking overhead. Rapidly they descended, and landed only a few feet from where the trio stood in a triangle. Gohan sported the blue and white armor Vegeta had given him on Namek while Krillin had changed into his orange gi. The symbols on the left breast and on his back indicated Master Roshi. Both of them marched over and stood facing the three. Gohan to the left of Bulma and Vegeta while Krillin stood opposite to complete a five sided circle.
"We're here. any sign of…" Krillin panted.
"What does it LOOK like? Stopped to CHANGE did we?" Vegeta snorted. "In YOUR case brat, it made sense, but you Baldie look even MORE ridiculous… you should have donned the armor I gave you!"
"Sorry your Highness but I prefer being able to MOVE," Krillin griped back.
"Vegeta, you feel it too, Krillin said," Gohan shivered, glancing up at the Saiyan Prince. Vegeta met his gaze with the small warrior, who moved over to stand on Vegeta's other side.
"Hnh, yes. And it's approaching far faster than I would like. you'd better ready yourself, kid. And you too, Cue ball. any other of your Z fighter loser friends on the way?" Vegeta asked.
"Can't YOU tell, I mean you're the ki sensing expert?" Yamcha taunted.
"Yamcha, don't piss him off," Krillin hissed at him.
"It's Tien and Chiaotzu!" Gohan exclaimed, whirling around and running away from the small circle. He shaded his eyes with one gloved hand, pointing excitedly to two more ki trails blazing into view from the distant horizon.
"A regular convention of losers, great, just what I need now," Vegeta shook his head.
"Vegeta," Bulma hissed, stepping on his toe. Vegeta thrust his hands into his pockets, not even wincing in pain.
"Oh ouch, that hurt SO much, woman," he smirked. He turned his head to look over his shoulder at the two newcomers landing twenty feet away. Gohan and Krillin rushed up towards them, leaving Yamcha to stand only five feet from where Vegeta and Bulma were.
"Hey! Great to see you two! You're just in time," Gohan cried.
"Gang's almost all here, except for Goku," Krillin said, reaching up to shake Tien's hand. Chiaotzu bowed to Gohan, and the four of them started exchanging rapid-fire greetings. Yamcha walked over from where he stood, plastering a big fake smile on his face.
"Guys, am I glad to see you here!" Yamcha said, darting in Tien's suspicious glance. Already Tien had tensed with both hands at his sides at the sight of Bulma and Vegeta standing twenty feet away.
"VEGETA!" Tien snorted, peeling off his robes and dropping them at his feet. He moved past the others, striding over to Vegeta. Yamcha darted in front of him.
"Now before you say anything, it wasn't MY idea… and," Yamcha said hastily, stepping between Tien and Vegeta.
"You have something to say to me, Three eyes?" Vegeta asked with a smirk on his face.
"As a matter of fact I have much to say, to you. First, what are you doing here, and secondly WHY are you tolerating his presence in your house, Bulma-san… why are you standing so close to this… murderer?"
"It's not your business to question the woman, or my reasons, weakling," Vegeta laughed. "What's the matter is it OKAY to be here with you twerps, or do I need a fucking permission slip?"
"Bulma?" Chiaotzu asked.
"I don't know how you can stomach living in the same place with this… this monster," Tien shook his head, advancing one step towards where Vegeta stood. The Prince turned casually around, standing slightly in front of Bulma peering around him nervously biting her lip.
"Um… guys… now's not the time," Yamcha breathed, crossing his wrists before his face. "Vegeta's actually looking like he's gonna help us. if he were gonna kill us he'd have done it now."
"I don't need you to speak on MY behalf, weakling," Vegeta barked at Yamcha. "Step aside."
"Who are you to be ordering US around?" Tien demanded, trying to dodge around Yamcha. The baseball player was dancing back and forth to match Tien's movements, blocking him at every turn.
"Come ON!" Yamcha snapped. “Don't annoy him!”
"Everyone, can we just SETTLE down?" Gohan shouted, rushing over to stand next to Yamcha. Krillin took his place on Yamcha's left while Gohan stood to his right. They all rested their hands at their sides.
"What is this?" Tien blinked.
"We need all the help we can get, guys," Krillin said. "And we've gotta put our differences behind us."
"Good grief," Bulma mumbled.
"This is pathetically endearing. You three fools actually facing off against these two. I should have brought popcorn," Vegeta chuckled, folding his arms over his chest.
"Cut it out ALL of you!" Bulma screeched. "You MEN are HOPELESS!"
A collective 'huh' and gasp emanated from all of the men except Vegeta. Quickly they looked in her direction, all shamefaced like guilty schoolboys caught putting toads in the teacher's pants. "That's better," Bulma said. "Now let me get some things straight. Vegeta's a guest in my home, and I won't have you all saying rude things. In case you forgot, something really BAD's on its way, and we all have a feeling Goku's going to be racing it to GET here, so if you don't mind?"
"Sorry teacher," Krillin mumbled.
"Bulma-san, I'm sorry, but they don't trust him," said Yamcha.
"Hello, I'm standing right HERE," Vegeta taunted. "As entertaining as this drivel is, you should all just SHUT up and think! If you're going to fight amongst yourselves do it now, or get out of my way!"
"No kidding," Krillin muttered. "This is bad, bro…"
"You know it," Gohan gasped. "I wish my dad was here, or at least Piccolo, because I suddenly feel really small."
"You two are the only ones besides Vegeta who have a prayer against him. What can WE do?" Yamcha stammered, tearing at his hair. Again the group unconsciously assembled themselves into two clusters of three. Yamcha, Bulma and Vegeta stood to the right of the others, Krillin, Gohan, Tien and Chioatzu.
"At least I fought this guy. If you can't be useful, leave now!" Vegeta shouted, pointing two fingers at the Z fighters. They glowed blue with his ki, yet Gohan sensed he wasn't going to release a blast unless he had to. Vegeta used terror more than any weapon in Gohan's experience to prove a point along with his Royal attitude.
“Vegeta… please… relax!” Bulma urged, grabbing his wrist. She squeezed tightly with her small fingers, trying to get his attention.
“Woman, mind your place,” Vegeta snorted at her. She still gripped his wrist tightly, pressing her lips into a firm line.
“They're my friends, Vegeta. Don't make me do this. You're better than just pushing so hard. You won't be around to challenge Goku if you blow them away, and Goku should show up any minute, so for your own sake… on your word…”
“Fine, whatever,” Vegeta snarled. She removed her hand, and he jerked his wrist away. He returned his hands to the pockets of his pants sullenly.
“If Bulma-san wasn't standing NEXT to you I'd…” Tien growled.
“Knock it OFF!” Krillin whispered, grabbing Tien's fist.
"And in case you haven't noticed, that ENERGY is only a few minutes away from this miserable planet!" Vegeta added.
"Yikes, we're dead," Yamcha shivered, as Puar leapt onto his shoulder nervously. Krillin and Gohan moved to flank Bulma and Yamcha, while Tien and Chiotzu maneuvered around to stand behind Bulma with a close eye on Vegeta to her immediate left.
"Mask your ki, you scum! I don't' want 15000 scouters picking us up!" Vegeta snarled at them all. "Take an example from the Namekian. He's actually doing it adequately."
"Mr. Piccolo," Gohan said with a relieved smile. On the very edge of the bluff to the extreme left stood the tall figure with his turban. His long white cape flapped in the gusts of wind. With his back to them, Piccolo grunted in frustration.
"How long have you been there, Piccolo?" asked Krillin.
"Long enough to hear your senseless bickering," Piccolo snapped. He whipped around, striding on long legs to stand before the cluster of Z fighters. Gohan and Krillin moved to stand just before him, glancing up at him expectantly.
"You know Vegeta's here?" Tien snorted.
"It won't make much difference, will it without Goku?" asked Piccolo angrily. "He's right, rot him. Pipe down or we're dead."
"Why should we listen to HIM?" asked Tien, jerking his head in the direction of Vegeta.
"Because he's fought them, and he has a clue!" Bulma snapped at him. "Hello, he used to WORK for the lizard!"
"Humph, I don't need you to remind them," Vegeta mumbled, thrusting his hands in his pockets. Bulma stepped closer to Vegeta, hugging herself and shivering. Puar flitted from Yamcha's shoulder to hover right next to her.
"Uh huh. we'll show him what the Z fighters are made of. I'm not gonna stand here and get killed when I can do something," Gohan said clearly. "We might be able to hold him off till my daddy gets here!"