Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Royal Namekian Blues ❯ Lavender with Envy ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Royal Namekian Blues II
By StarbearerTM
Another What if A/U
Rating PG13 for language and implied mature content. No lemon though, just a citrus twist.
Disclaimer: I don't' own Dragon Ball Z, Toriyama does, and Funimation. I don't get rich or make any money, and this means no harm to the anime or manga. It is fan fiction.

Chapter 9
"Oh crap, it's getting closer," Gohan whispered.
"Everyone mask your kis," Vegeta whispered. "It's approaching."
"Damn it the ship's HERE!" Piccolo bellowed. "EVERYONE ready yourselves!"
Yamcha grabbed Bulma's waist, and snagged Puar in his free arm. Vegeta snarled as he rushed over to where his woman huddled with the coward. Bulma squealed and grabbed onto Puar tightly as she glanced up at the rushing wind. Piccolo hollered and pointed, as Gohan and Krillin snapped their heads around to the dark shape crossing over the sun. Ominously the ground began to vibrate as wind whipped their hair ever more violently. Chioutzu and Tien stood their ground, moving closer as the Z fighters closed ranks and stood in a line to face the rapidly expanding shape.
Winds burst into hurricane intensity, violently blasting them in their faces. Gohan's lengthening hair whipped behind him like a banner, while Piccolo thrust a clawed hand down on his shoulder and Krillin's to hold them in place. "STAND YOUR GROUND!" Piccolo shouted.
"Damn it. The power, it's incredible… impossible!" Yamcha howled squeezing Bulma's waist. She gritted her teeth, shading her eyes with her hand. Gritting his teeth Vegeta glided over and flanked her on her other side. Tien and Chioutzu moved to stand to his left, while Krillin, Gohan and Piccolo rushed to the right. Beneath their feet the ground heaved and quivered as if in fear for the ship that plummeted straight towards them.
"This is the end, he's gonna crush us when he lands," Yamcha cried.
"STAY PUT!" Vegeta bellowed. "He's going to land well away from us! Stand your ground and take your last look at him before we attack him!"
"Oh man, this is BAD," Krillin shouted to Gohan.
"Mr. Piccolo it IS him," Gohan trembled.
"Focus bro, we NEED you!" Krillin yelled at him, before the wind whipped his words away. Vegeta clenched his fists, glaring angrily with bared teeth at the ship heading straight on towards them. Gohan and Krillin felt Piccolo releasing them, and watched the trembling forms of Yamcha and Bulma gawking there in terror.
For a moment Bulma saw the flashing of the sun on the window as the ship obscured the entire forward view of the sky. Even Vegeta's flame like spiked crest shook in the gale force torrent pushing Yamcha off his feet. Gasping he almost dragged Bulma over with him. Vegeta's hand caught Bulma's waist as she tipped backwards into his body. Krillin dug his toes into the ground, pushing against the wind while Gohan grabbed his arm and anchored himself with Piccolo's help. Tien grabbed Chiotzu, holding his friend with his own strength as the ship shot overhead.
For a split second Bulma saw a pale shape standing next to a more massive horned one. A malicious smirk wrote itself on the evil face, twisted purple lips and red eyes staring unblinking. From the pit of her stomach Bulma felt sheer hatred squirming. Although she had no ability to sense ki, she knew it was Freeza himself. Forever the image of that twisted cybernetic demon stamped itself in her mind. All she felt the next second was Vegeta's arm catching hold of her waist, and the sun blasting down from overhead. As suddenly as it had all started, the deafening roar faded.
All of the Z fighters turned, still anchoring the lighter team members with the pressures of Piccolo and Tien's hands on their shoulders. Behind him Piccolo's white cape flapped. He released Gohan and Krillin, rushing up to the bluff where he had the best look. Vegeta half dragged Bulma with him as he rushed to there, standing right next to the Namekian. Gohan and Krillin assembled themselves immediately behind, while Tien hauled a dazed Yamcha to his feet. He had his arms wrapped tightly around a quivering and squealing Puar.
"We're dead, we're dead," she whimpered.
"He's over there!" Vegeta pointed. Bulma grabbed onto Puar, hugging her tightly as she whimpered with fear at the rumbling ground. Everyone tensed and glared overhead as the ship strafed them. Bulma sobbed into Puar's fur, glad to have someone to hold onto, even if she'd rather it be Vegeta.
"No, we're still alive, Puar. That noise is enough to wake the dead," he gasped, staggering over with Tien's help.
"Come on, buddy, easy now. That was his ship, but he's landing over in the next ridge… Piccolo and the others are watching over here."
"Tien, I've never felt that much power in all my life," Chiotzu squeaked, hovering with his Ki power much as Puar did. They only dared to move within ten feet of the other Z fighters.
"He's over there. EVERYONE MASK YOUR KIS NOW!" Vegeta shouted.
"What?"
"NOW! BEFORE they see us on their scouters!" Vegeta bellowed in a voice nobody dared disobey.
"Crap," Yamcha gasped. "That power, it's more incredible than anything. this is CRAZY. there's nothing we can do!"
"WE have to try," Piccolo boomed. "There's nobody else. I won't let Freeza destroy our world."
"No way! I'm with you, MR. Piccolo! To the end! My Daddy wouldn't give up, and neither will I," Gohan said firmly.
"Spoken like a true Saiyan," Vegeta mumbled. "Might I speak plainly? We are the only things standing between this lizard and your world's destruction."
"Wait, you guys are actually gonna FIGHT him? Are you NUTS?" Yamcha cried, steadying his shaky knees as he leaned on Tien's arm.
"What choice do we have, man?" Krillin asked. "Sure I'm nut nuts about dying again… but we have to…"
"You know it," Gohan gasped. "I wish my dad was here… or at least Piccolo… because I suddenly feel really small."
"Why should we listen to HIM?" asked Tien.
"Because he's fought them, and he has a clue!" Bulma snapped at him. "Hello, he used to WORK for the lizard!"
"Humph, I don't need you to remind them," Vegeta mumbled.
"Uh huh… we'll show him what the Z fighters are made of. I'm not gonna stand here and get killed when I can do something," Gohan said clearly. "We might be able to hold him off till my daddy gets here!"
"IF he does! Are you all insane? That power I'm sensing is unreal!" Yamcha cried.
"But the woman is right. If you don't listen to me, get away now!"
"I'm in this to the end," said Krillin. "Right Gohan?"
"Hmm," nodded Goku's son, standing resolutely in his armor. He glanced up at Piccolo.
"Prepare yourself," Piccolo nodded, smiling with pride at his pupil.
"We'd better go on foot from here," Vegeta said, glancing at everyone. "You Namekian, Baldie, and you kid come with me… along with you two clowns. Dim Sum stay with the woman."
"You two are the only ones besides Vegeta who have a prayer against him. What can WE do?" Yamcha stammered.
"At least I fought this guy. If you can't be useful, leave now!" Vegeta snapped at him.
"Everyone listen to me… keep your voices DOWN," Vegeta hissed. "We'll go in on foot, so his troops won't detect our ki envelopes. Nobody move unless I say so, got it?"
"Who died and made you…"
"I'm the Prince of Saiyans dolt. I'm the most logical here to command this bunch of sorry losers!" Vegeta growled.
"He's right unfortunately. So shut up and heed him," Piccolo grunted. "Ready Gohan?"
"Ready," he nodded.
"What are you guys doing?" he asked.
"Vegeta, please be careful," Bulma whispered, clutching his waist.
"You stay here, with Dim Sum. He'll just get in the way. YOU, guard her with your LIFE."
"Whatever you say… your majesty," Yamcha said with relief. Vegeta released Bulma, and pushed her lightly towards her ex boyfriend.
"Hey don't I get a SAY in this?" she asked.
Piccolo nodded to Vegeta, standing next to him on the point that overlooked the ridge. Between the two mountains Freeza's ship drifted, and they could together sense the multiple kis. Even Piccolo's hearing had trouble discerning what was being said. Gohan and Krillin waited for the word, tensing, as they moved to positions just behind the Namekian and Saiyan prince.
"Move out now," Vegeta said. "This way."
"Right," Gohan and Krillin said. "Coming guys?"
"Right behind you," said Tien. Vegeta broke into a run, matched by the Namekian. After him ran the other four, leaving Yamcha behind with Bulma. He flicked his head around to see the remains of the air car, which had overturned and smashed.
"Crap,” he gritted.
"WAIT!" she squealed, pulling out of Yamcha's arms.
"Bulma, come back!" Yamcha called. He broke into a run after her, his boots kicking up dust on the rocky plane.
Immediately ahead about fifty feet she saw the craggy slope of one of the cliffs. Like great stairs the blocks of red rock stacked on top of the other in bands of alternating red and gold. Already Vegeta had taken stock of the height. He leapt up, grabbing the nearest seam with his fingers, and hauling himself up. Next to him Piccolo dug his claws into a nearby crevasse and began his own ascent.
Panting, Bulma felt the stitch creeping into her side. She stopped when she heard Yamcha's footsteps come to a rest behind hers. For a moment she leaned over, panting as she braced her hands against her bare legs. Yamcha wheezed in a similar position nearby.
"Bulma, you shouldn't be here," Yamcha gasped, catching his breath more quickly than she did.
"Shut up and help me climb up there," she said angrily, pointing at the Z fighters ascending the rock wall. Piccolo had overtaken Vegeta, climbing steadily with his long muscular arms. Tien scrambled just behind him, while Vegeta's fingers slipped on a loose bit of scree. He snorted, sliding down before he dug into the rock face with his fingers. Gohan and Krillin further down from him breathed a sigh of relief to see the Prince clinging with his fingers buried the stone like it was cheese.
Yamcha boosted Bulma up to grab the first finger holds the others had left. She was thankful they had as many dates to the arcade and national parks where he'd taught her rock climbing. Steadily she pushed with her toes while gripping with manicured fingernails. Right behind her Yamcha staggered his climb, while Puar drifted just to Bulma's left. Hand over hand he scooted along and then grew impatient with watching her struggle.
"I suppose there's no talking anyone out of this?" Yamcha asked.
"I'll teach him to leave Bulma Briefs behind," she snarled, knocking away the helping hand that he gave as he hauled himself onto the first ledge. A quick glance up showed that Piccolo had already disappeared over the top of the wall, while Vegeta was only a few feet from it. Krillin and Gohan were more than halfway up while Tien had found his own way along a more craggy area with multiple handholds.
"Vegeta you JERK! How DARE you leave me behind!" Bulma snapped.
"What the hell are you doing down there Bulma?" Vegeta bellowed, glancing down.
"Um Bulma, are you okay?" Krillin asked, peering down over his shoulder.
"We'd better help her," Gohan grunted. "You go on ahead I'll wait for them."
"Right," Krillin grunted, pushing up with his toes and catching hold of a seam overhead. Gohan stopped to catch his breath. This was simple, but he knew that Bulma would need every bit of assistance, and she wasn't making it easy for Yamcha. Gallantly he'd bent over to push her up again from the narrow ledge about a quarter of the way up so she could get a handhold.
"You, boy, help her!" Vegeta shouted down to Gohan.
"Okay, Vegeta," Gohan nodded. He scooted down to where Bulma was struggling to haul herself up, and grabbed her hand. Roughly he pulled her alongside of him, while keeping a tight grip with his fingers thrust into the rock.
"Thank you," she gasped.
"Take it easy, miss I've got you," he said. "Now there's a foothold there. You go on ahead Yamcha, get up there."
"Right," his nodded. Moving behind her, Gohan braced himself under and gently lifted her up so she could grab the closest crag.
"Why he doesn't help me himself," she mumbled.
"Maybe you should stay where it's safer," Gohan said. "If my daddy knew that you were in danger."
"Just push!" Bulma snapped. Puar grunted as she tugged Bulma's arm from above. A few minutes later, she yelped as she landed on the ledge three fourths up.
Beside Gohan Krillin scrabbled up the craggy surface, shaking his head. "Are you sure we can trust Vegeta?"
"I think it's a good sign. he's even sticking by us when he could have just left us behind," Gohan answered.
"Huh, you mean the fact he's bitching us out and telling us what to do?" Krillin chuckled. "You think he actually gives a hoot if we live or die?"
"Yes, I think he does. In his own selfish way," said Gohan. "Now keep quiet, you're making Mr. Piccolo angry!"
Vegeta glanced back to see that Gohan was taking moderately good care of the female at least. Worrying about her safety when the others needed him to save their sorry asses couldn't distract him. Why didn't she have the good sense to stay behind like he'd told her? Gasping she lay there and blinked up at a very irate Vegeta. Already the others had run far ahead to the edge of the valley. Just beyond they saw a glow sparkling into the atmosphere, and the rounded bulk of this ship a quarter mile distant. Only two hills stood between them and the most destructive being in the universe they'd yet experienced.
"There," Vegeta said, and hauled himself up on the bluff. "Everyone get your asses up here! No unnecessary talking. Stay together, or else you'll get KILLED!"
"By you or…" gasped Tien
"Freeza you moronic dolt!" Vegeta growled at him. "Where's the woman?"
"The woman is FINE, your royal Whyness, no thanks to you!" Bulma huffed as Gohan crawled over, carrying her piggyback. She felt mortified because she had to rely on a little boy to help her instead of her prince.
Gohan helped her to stand, thrusting his shoulder under her armpit. With his help she staggered over to where Vegeta stood tapping his foot. Yamcha exhaled and struggled over next to them. Vegeta marched away, angrily cursing to himself.
"Dammit why can't she stay out of the way? You'll only get yourself killed, Bulma!" he snarled over his shoulder.
She let go of Gohan, and staggered after him. "Go on, I'll be okay."
"Are you sure?" he asked. She nodded and he raced off past them to catch up with the other Z fighters assembling behind the two hills. They ducked behind a massive pile of boulders, stopped by Piccolo. Peering between the two hills they could just make out the shape of Freeza's ship and the flat planes stretching beyond for miles.
"What and let you have all the fun?" she asked.
"It's no place for a female. Puar stay with Bulma. I'm going with the other Z fighters," Yamcha said, grabbing her arm to stop her.
"You son of a bitch!" she yelled at him. "This is MY world Freeza's gonna destroy! I'm not scared of him any more than any of you! If you can take it so can I!"
"Stupid woman," Vegeta grouched, blocking Bulma's way. The three of them stood not twenty feet from the others, but Vegeta's hands crossed over his chest and his feet were planted wide apart.
"I agree. Girls are definitely not allowed," Yamcha mumbled, moving around to block Bulma from Vegeta's other side. He grabbed her waist, tugging her back.
"Who asked for you opinion, coward," Vegeta exploded at him. "Shut up and mask your ki!"
"Sorry I said anything," Yamcha mumbled.
"Get your hands off her," Vegeta snorted. "Bulma, if you're going to be stupid, come here."
Vegeta pointed with his finger, and motioned her to walk slightly behind him. With a triumphant smirk she strode after him, leaving Yamcha to shake his head. All the others glanced anxiously back when they saw the stragglers rush up. Bulma dropped to sit on a rock, heaving in and out. Piccolo peered overtop the largest bolder, while Tien and Chiotzu crouched at the ready to his left. Krillin sat on the ground beside Gohan, five feet back from where Piccolo kept watch.
"Here," said Bulma, pulling out a pair of binoculars she'd stashed in her vest. "Try these, Piccolo.”
"Thanks," he said, taking them from her. Although he didn't need them particularly, he wished to keep her silent somehow.
Yamcha muttered sullenly at Bulma, sitting cross-legged next to her, "Stupid dictator, I don't recall electing him. how can I protect you when… what am I saying? Why am I doing what VEGETA's saying? "
"He's a Prince, and we're all clueless. Of all of us he's the only one, who has a chance of leading us, till Goku arrives," said Bulma.
"What now?" Krillin asked, glancing up at Piccolo. Vegeta marched up and took his place next to the Namekian. He grabbed the binoculars away, and aimed them towards the distant figures. Anger curdled in his stomach to see his old enemy and his enemy's sire king Cold.
"Shit," Vegeta gritted. "They've got a whole army of crack troops. this is not going to be clean or fast, so you'll have to do EXACTLY as I say."
"Let's go get 'em already then. get it out of the way," said Tien.
"No, don't move a MUSCLE unless I tell you to," Vegeta snapped. Then his eyes widened discernibly. Like a relay, first Vegeta tensed, then everyone around him. Mouths dropped open with the collective grunting gasp of horror. Each Z fighter after the other in turn sensed the massive ki surging just less than a mile away. A cloud of dust rose as the ground shook. Bulma squealed, shivering as Puar zipped over towards her.
"Crap, he's not wasting any time is he?" asked Krillin. "Vegeta are you nuts?"
"Stop, right there. I'm sensing something ELSE," said Vegeta quickly. "He's focusing on something else. Another presence."
"HUH?" asked Gohan. "Wait."
"No it can't be," Vegeta swallowed hard. Bulma sobbed as she dropped to her knees, seeing the grim reality writing across Vegeta and everyone's faces. They looked helpless.
"What now?" asked Yamcha.
"We could sing a song," Bulma said, wiping tears.
"It's amazing every time lately you open your mouth you're proving you're an idiot!" Vegeta snapped at her.
"I'm not!" she cried back, wiping away her tears. Her pretty face crumpled with hurt at the public insult. How dare he embarrass her in front of everyone? Did he not care about her after what they'd shared?
"She's not stupid! Take it BACK!" Yamcha shouted.
"Oh, and what's it to you, Dim Sum?" Vegeta snorted.
"She's very smart for a girl," he said.
"You stupid asshole!" Bulma yelled, grabbing Yamcha's ear and yanking on it hard. Vegeta smirked and thrust his hands into his pocket.
Everyone nervously chuckled at the sight of the two ex lovers wrestling. Bulma let go of Yamcha's ear, feeling only a brief respite from the gloomy pall. Z fighters tensed with their fists at the ready, wanting to move but stopped only by Vegeta's harsh look.
"LOOK!" Gohan gasped. "Don't you feel it? Energy and it's more powerful than Freeza!"
"Great galaxy it can't be," Vegeta snapped, backing away in horror. Bulma crawled to her feet, moving towards him. Never had she felt so hopeless as now. Even among her friends she knew that if Vegeta and Piccolo saw no hope, and Goku was gone.