Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Royal Namekian Blues ❯ Trunk's difficult decision ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 10 Future Trunk's Difficult Decision
"You shouldn't get too comfortable," the boy said. His purple eyebrows curved down in a serious frown that mimicked Vegeta's customary scowl. Bulma shivered at the sudden familiarity. At that moment his voice had deepened to a serious rasp that hearkened of the Prince beside her.
"Humph, what was that?" Vegeta said sarcastically, crushing his soda can. He flipped it into the air where it shot up with the velocity of a meteorite. He aimed two fingers skywards, generating a blue pencil thin beam that vaporized it in a shower of sparks high above.
"Showoff," Yamucha snorted, downing his fourth beer. He stacked the empty cans next to himself, along with the others from everyone else sitting on the bare rocks under the hot sun. Overhead the condors crossed between them and the empty sky.
"Why? Where is Goku? If you're so sure he's coming back in two hours, why hasn't he shown up yet?" asked Yamucha. He opened his mouth and let loose with an inelegant burp.
"Good question. How do you know my father?" said Gohan. "Can you tell us that at least?"
"I might have to. Frieza may be gone, but if Goku doesn't get here… I've little choice…"
"Oh so NOW you're going to talk? What changed your mind?" Vegeta asked.
"Please, your Majesty, it's serious," said the boy, getting to his feet. "If you think Frieza was bad… there's something far worse that you'll all have to face… and I have to tell you or else you're all doomed…"
"I knew it… you WERE hiding something. Tell me NOW how the hell you know so much about us!" Vegeta snarled.
"Shush and let him speak, will you?" Bulma hissed grabbing Vegeta's arm and squeezing it tightly.
"Yes, this should be very interesting," said Piccolo, striding over to hover near the youth.
Taking a deep sigh, he drew his knees close to his chest, and hugged them. He looked past them as he spoke, "In about three years, this will all be gone. I'm from… I'm from a parallel dimension… where the Z fighters were all killed… and only a few were left to stop one of the worst menaces this world has seen…"
"Are you serious?" asked Tien.
"A parallel dimension… now that would explain how you might have met my dad…" Gohan said with a look of interest. His scientific education drummed into him by his mother at a young age apparently had not gone to waste.
"That's quite a lot to swallow," said Vegeta. "But I'm so far entertained…"
"Yeah right," Yamucha laughed. "You're just looking for a chance to embarrass the shit out of him because he went…"
Immediately the youth leapt to his feet. He stormed up to Yamucha and aimed a ki blast that crashed noisily in the midst of the drunken fighter. Yamucha squealed as he backed away. Everyone tensed, and Vegeta smirked with a strange appreciation. "Rather dramatic, but you missed, kid…" he chuckled.
"Not funny!" Krillen glared at Vegeta. "What did you do THAT for?"
"To get your attention!" the youth said angrily. "Please LISTEN To me! If you value Goku's life or your future, you MUST!" he said quickly.
"Very well, we're listening. No more pyrotechnics if you please," said Piccolo sternly. "Spit it out already!"
"I'm not lying. Prince Vegeta, you know if someone's lying or not. Surely you can tell that I'm telling the truth…"
"Yes, and no," said Vegeta angrily. "You're still holding something back. You'd better come clean. How can you have such power and give off a Saiyan signature?"
"I'll tell you that later. But what's more important is that you're all going to have to be ready to face two menaces that make Frieza look like a walk in the park. My world is already in ashes because of them. I came here to stop you from suffering the same fate!"
"Why should you care when your own dimension is…" Vegeta asked.
"Because, you can succeed if the theory of parallel dimensions is true. You know what I'm talking about, Bulma-san. Each reality is different, because one event forever changes it. I'm risking a lot coming here. I shouldn't be telling any of you this. But Goku's not returned at the proper time, and I have to tell someone or else I've come here for nothing," he said, standing up to his full height.
"Go on," said Vegeta, standing up from his rock. He thrust his hands into the pockets of the yellow pants he wore, meeting the boy's azure gaze with his onyx one. Both sets of eyebrows lowered, to the same angle and they resembled odd bookends. For a second they stared one another down, the Prince with his upswept cone of spiky hair and strange alien grace a strange foil compared to the lavender haired teen. Bulma realized they were approximately the same height, give or take Vegeta's hair.
"You're actually buying this?" asked Piccolo. "I'm amazed you're letting him speak when you were ready to destroy him seconds ago."
"He's intrigued me. He won't tell me about how he's able to harness such power unless I hear him out. Then I'll act," Vegeta hissed back.
"Stop it you two! How do you know my dad?" Gohan demanded.
"Another good question," Krillen said.
"You said he was a legend. Does he exist in your reality as well? And if so, are we all there as well? You said they were all destroyed… did something come from that reality that you're chasing here?" Gohan continued, getting up from his rock and marching over. Lengthening black hair flapped briefly in the gust of wind that whistled by.
"I don't know for certain. But I do know in three years if you're not ready to face it, the world as you know it will be a living hell," said the boy. "And it's all because of the Red Ribbon army, and a man named Dr. Gero. He will invent a new form of cybernetic artificial life, which will kill him and anything that stands in its way…"
"But my dad killed them off!" Gohan said quickly.
"Yeah… you're telling us they're still out there?" Krillen asked.
"Yes. And this menace will be something that nobody can control. There are two artificial humans that will emerge and start killing. All of you will try and stop them, but you'll all be dead in a matter of years…."
"Dead? You're crazy! Not the Z fighters… not with the Dragon balls to wish us back!" Tien shouted.
"If I die, there ARE no dragon balls," Piccolo interrupted. "You of all people should know that. Is this true…"
"Yes, Piccolo-san," said the youth, folding his arms across his chest. "Even you cannot stand up to them… that's why there was little hope left…"
"Those tin cans will be dust, boy, make no mistakes!" Vegeta snapped. "Do you know whom you're speaking to?"
"I'm sorry Prince Vegeta, but not even YOUR powers can stop them. Not even the combined powers of all the Z fighters are enough…"
"You haven't mentioned my dad… or how you fit in," Gohan said.
"That's because the time I'm from is 20 years ahead of this. I've come back to this reality because the threat from my world, as you guessed has come back here, thinking it could take over this universe as well," he said firmly.
"You followed it here" said Bulma softly, rising and peering around Vegeta's shoulder. He pushed her behind him slightly as if to block her from the youth staring at her.
"Yes Bulma-san. It had a machine like the one I used to come here. A Trans sideric transport vessel, capable of crossing the dimensions of time as well as space. Something that you had theorized about, ne?"
"Yes… but how did you…"
"You're about to publish a paper on the very subject," said the youth with a smile that suggested pride. "But even so, Goku won't be around to stop them…because he'll be the first to fall…"
"Is that because he didn't come back… today?" Gohan asked.
"No. He'll get sick. And he'll die of a heart virus. The cure exists in my time, and I can easily give it to him. But if he doesn't return soon…" he said sadly.
"You still haven't told us your name," said Vegeta. "Or how you are Saiyan! You cannot be…"
"I'm endangering your history by even telling any of you this," said the boy. "You're a scientist Bulma… and so are you, Gohan… you know about temporal physics… and the space time continuum… just by being here I could cause changes you couldn't begin to imagine the implications of…"
"Forewarned is forearmed," Tien said. "And if by being here we know they exist, then we owe you a big favor none of us can repay…"
"So what? That gives us three years to defeat these tin cans, if they even exist!" Vegeta snapped.
"Bulma-san…" said the boy as he glanced down at her. "May I speak with you alone… privately?"
"No," Vegeta snapped. "Absolutely NOT!"
"Vegeta, back off!" she snapped. "I'm not afraid of a boy, are you?"
"Stupid woman," he growled.
"Gohan, you too," said the boy. "The others must wait here… what I'm about to say is something only they as scientists will comprehend…"
"I'm no fool myself, you impudent child," Vegeta snapped. "Please Vegeta… if anything goes wrong you can blast him later," she teased.
"I'll protect her, Vegeta, don't you worry," said Gohan.
Gohan boosted Bulma into his arms and took off after their visitor to land at a safe distance. Vegeta glared murderously at them from afar, as Piccolo stood. From the look in his eyes, Gohan knew he could hear every word, which would be said.
"Okay, what's this all about, mister," said Gohan. "You'd better have a good explanation…"
"I do. First of all, my name is Trunks. I know it's difficult for you to speak to me without knowing this.
I'll explain everything because you two alone I can trust. If you repeat any of this to the others my being here might not make any difference…"
"Okay, shoot," said Bulma. She lifted an eyebrow at the mention of his name.
"Bulma-san, first, I must ask you… a question," he said, facing her.
"What is it?" she asked.
"Trust me. Are you expecting a child?"
"WHAT?" she blurted out. Gohan blinked, staring hard at her.
"I don't' mean to be rude… but I know a little medicine from my time… and I've been taught to sense ki. And I'm sensing another presence," said the boy quietly.
"I…" she stammered.
"Bulma-san, he's right," said Gohan. "I can feel something too. In your belly… just like I did when Mom was on that one mid wifing trip…"
"There's no way," Bulma stammered. "Aren't you too young to…"
"Please, I knew where babies came from since I was three! How could I not know if I'm supposedly a genius?" Gohan snorted.
"I'm sorry to be springing this on you, but I'm sensing your unborn child," said the boy quietly.
"Who ARE you?" Gohan asked. "Are you Saiyan, or part Saiyan? Because you feel like my daddy, and Prince Vegeta… but at the same time just like me…"
"I'm… part Saiyan," said Trunks with a deep blush. "You must swear not to tell anyone about this. Please…"
"What's wrong? You… you look like you've seen a ghost…" Bulma whispered. "How could you possibly know I'm pregnant… only Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta can sense ki that small."
"The child you carry is 1/2 Saiyan, half human, Bulma-san," said Trunks shyly. "I know that you and Vegeta are mates, and that it is his… not Yamucha's."
"What the?" Gohan gasped. "Is that… true?"
"Yes," Bulma nodded. "It is… but nobody knew except…"
"You see how much I'm risking? Vegeta would kill me if he knew I knew that secret. All Saiyan bonds are private. The way he is protective of you I knew that you were possibly mates… but I…"
"Wait a minute," Bulma said, reaching out to touch his cheek. "Why are you so… let me look at you… you're so nervous that…"
She caught his face between her hands and he swallowed hard. Gohan blinked and stared up at Bulma who had forced the boy to stare her right in the face. He met her azure gaze with one that was identical, tears flowing in his eyes. "Don't' you see… if I tell you or him… it could ruin everything… please…"
"IS it possible?" she whispered. "You look like… no wonder you look familiar… oh you poor thing… no wonder… it's just… too incredible…"
"What's going on? You know him Bulma-san?" Gohan whispered, squinting hard. The mystery was right before him, and his young mind needed one last piece to prove the theory brewing there.
"Yes. We can trust him," she said, wiping away Trunk's tears. She threw her arms around him as he sobbed into her shoulder. Slowly she rocked him, shushing him in a way that baffled Gohan.
"But that would mean… you… you know what I mean?" Gohan stammered.
"I do," Bulma said. "But I can't tell you how or why. I just know. Call it woman's intuition Gohan. And I know why he can't tell. You just have to trust me on this, please…"
"But how do you know Goku? My daddy? Is it because you knew his family? You only look 18 years old…"
"I'm not born yet," he said. "But Goku and your family will know me soon. Gohan, you have to promise and swear not to tell anyone… only Goku and Bulma can know my secret…"
"Wait, is that cause… you and Bulma… I mean… Vegeta and she are… and that you're going to be…" Gohan pointed at Bulma's abdomen. She blushed profusely.
"You are as smart now as you are then, in my time. I can't say any more, but that your mother's education and your father's training are crucial. Goku won't be well enough to save us and you're the last hope… you and… me…my name is Trunks… and Bulma… as you've guessed…"
"I promise I won't tell. It's just so… unbelievable!" Gohan shook his head. "But why isn't my daddy back yet?"
"I can't say. But it's really disturbing. He should have been the one to stop Freeza, not me. I came back here to make sure that your world had a chance…"
"You're from the future, not a parallel world, that's why," said Gohan quietly. "I get it now. And I know why you're terrified that we know…"
"If you and Vegeta had not mated, I wouldn't have done this…" Trunks said softly, giving her a hug. He saw that Piccolo had blocked Vegeta's immediate view, so he pushed Bulma away.
"So what do we tell the others?" Bulma asked.
"If Goku doesn't' come… I don't' know what…" he said softly. "If you see him, give him this… Gohan. It's a medicine that will allow him to survive the heart virus he will get."
"Can't you wait with the rest of us?" asked Gohan, catching the vial that Trunks tossed him. He raised it up to the sun and peered at it thoughtfully.
"My mother in my time is worried sick about me. I have to get back and let her know I made it. The time machine I have is one that she designed…" said Trunks, glancing at Bulma with that same pride.
"And if that's the case it takes a long time to recharge," Bulma nodded. "Well don't' worry, your secret is safe with both of us…"
"But now that you know… my father will not be happy about this," said Trunks, glancing in Vegeta's direction.
"Will you come back?" she asked, squeezing his shoulder.
"I will come back to help you. If my father asks about me, just tell him that I mean no harm. And that in this reality his son will grow up to be as powerful as he. And that he will become a Super Saiyan in his own right. But he has to be careful that pride won't get in the way of saving himself and those he cares for," said Trunks, stepping away from both of them.
"What happens with me?" Gohan asked. "Or can't you tell me without jeopardizing time?"
"You have to keep training in the martial arts. Learn everything you can. Because if Goku does die, you and I are the only ones who can possibly remain to keep the fight going. Remember in May, three years from now… the androids will appear…"
"You got it," Gohan said with a firm nod. "And you'll be there…"
"To help if I can. I hope that Goku returns after I leave. I must do what I can to reassure my mother there in my time. And if you can find any trace of Dr. Gero's research, that may possibly save all your lives," said Trunks. "Stay safe, and stay well, young mother. Take care of Father. In my time he was killed before I ever got a chance to know him…"
"Must you leave?" Bulma pleaded.
"I must, Okasan," said Trunks. "You all have a lot of training to do. Make sure that my father uses his gravity chamber. And if he seems remote and distant to you, understand it's because there are parts of a Prince that must remain forever alone… but above all else, he chose you, and if you two never got together, I'd never be…"
He stroked his hand over her belly, and then slowly rose into the air. Bulma wiped away tears as Trunks waved to them one last time. He disappeared behind the mountains in a burst of blue light. Gohan gently picked up Bulma and carried her back to speak to the others.
***