Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Royal Namekian Blues ❯ Flashpoint ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 16Flashpoint

"RRAGGGH!" Vegeta roared, his hands closing around the boy's throat. Trunks had a smile on his face that was halfway between pride and sadness. At that moment Vegeta realized his power signature had gone from royal blue to something else. Every inch of his skin was ablaze, and he saw a burning reflection in Trunk's eyes that were not from within. The entire gravity room had become molten hot whiteness more intense than the unfiltered light of the sun.
Trunks screamed even louder, shoving a burst of ki to explode in Vegeta's face. He slammed his foot up to kick Vegeta off, breaking his hold. Vegeta tumbled back; barely regaining his feet as Trunks staggered up and stood over him.
"Look at yourself… look… you've… you've…" Trunks panted, dropping to his knees near Vegeta. The Prince staggered up with raised hands when Trunks grabbed his sword and held it up before the Prince. Golden light flashed off its surface, gleaming right in the Prince's eyes.
"How… what the HELL?" Vegeta gasped, realizing that his own visage was reflected therein.
"It's you. Tell me WHAT you see, is that YOU?"
"I… I can't believe it," Vegeta gasped, holding his gloved hands before his face. He grabbed Trunk's wrist holding the sword, seeing the distorted gremlin whipping up and down the funhouse blade with an emerald stare.
"It was inside you all along. You just needed the right reason to reach for it, Father," Trunks said with a triumphant smile. He lowered his sword and regarded Vegeta with eyes that were slightly averted.
"What… what did I do… damn it how?" Vegeta panted, exhilarated at the feel of the ki surging through him that matched Trunks own right at that moment. Such blinding power that pushed his strength to the limit of what felt indestructible.
"You've got what you wanted. Are you ready to realize how?" Trunks asked. Vegeta levitated over to a reflective panel near the GR readout.
"After all this time," Vegeta gasped, blinking at the golden haired Saiyan gasping back up at him. His hair resembled much as it had before, except every inch seethed and crackled with the aura surrounding him. Green eyes pulsed with a hidden vibration, equal in intensity to the future boy standing over his shoulder. Except Trunk's violent hair had stood up on end like the points of a raging flame, obliterating any sign of 'ningen' genes. In that form he appeared just as the legendary had been described, a strange twin to his own self.
"Congratulations, Father you've done it," Trunks said, swallowing a lump in his throat.
"But how… I can't believe that… you… you pissed me off. I've ALWAYS been angry enough, why NOW?" Vegeta demanded, clenching his fists.
"Because you have a good reason to be. One that doesn't involve being the best or the strongest. I pushed you hard enough to hate and explode in rage for something more pure. Your choice to be with Bulma who's your mate…" Trunks said. "Your own existence, everything that pushed you back you wanted to push away so you could fight for what you believed in."
"It's hatred."
"Not hatred turned into destruction, but the passion to act, to be more than you are now, to push your limits. That's the trigger, Father.”
"There must be another level, because there seems no limit to what I can do," Vegeta panted. He dropped to his knees, and then felt hands clenching him to hold him up.
"You're angry. Angry and full of hatred. That's not enough. I know what I faced isn't what you have, but it doesn't' matter. You've got your own reasons to fight, Father.”
"You won't address me in that manner, boy," said Vegeta angrily.
"What?"
"Anyone who knows what buttons to press like that… to achieve this… can only be my son," the Prince said quietly as he turned to Trunks, pushing away the boy's hand so he could stand on his own.
"Are you serious?”
"Did I STUTTER, son?" Vegeta growled.
"No Father, you didn't," said Trunks with a smirk that transfigured into a look of absolute joy.
"Don't get mushy on me, because I HATE PDA's," Vegeta snapped, holding up his hand.
"Yes Father, of course," said Trunks. Awkwardly he rested a hand on Vegeta's shoulder, giving it a squeeze. Vegeta grasped Trunks' outstretched hand, shaking it with his other hand resting on top. For a time they shook one another's hands, and then awkwardly slapped one another on the back.
"Your mother is going to wonder what the hell we're doing out here… so I suggest we conclude for today, son," said Vegeta, choking on the last word.
"Yes of course," Trunks nodded. Power leeched out of both of them, returning the room to its former red state.
"Deactivate gravity," said Vegeta. He wiped sweat away from his forehead, and then saw Trunks holding two bottles of spring water.
"Though you'd like one, Dad."
"I'm not ready for that term. Father will do," Vegeta corrected him.
"Of course," he nodded; stunned that Vegeta was even acknowledging him as his kin.
Trunks heard Vegeta shout to him as he climbed out of the locker room shower. "Hey, boy, you call these appropriate clothes?"
"Sorry Father I only have the one set," Trunks said.
"These will suffice," Vegeta said, throwing something at him. Trunks caught the bundle of loose baggy jeans and a white T-shirt.
"Thanks," he said, holding them out as if they were made of gold. "It's been ages since I had a change. I was getting kinda ripe."
"No doubt. Your mother hates the smell of unwashed male," Vegeta snorted. "Now, unless you want to hear her screeching at you or myself, I suggest you make all haste."
"Right, but what do we tell her?"
"Let's just surprise her, shall we?" Vegeta said with a mischievous look. "I'm still getting used to this whole… parent thing."
"At least you don't have to change diapers, Father. I don't think you'd care for that," Trunks laughed.
"Shut up will you… don't give her any ideas! I'll have enough trouble when your 'little brother' comes along!"
"Whatever you say," Trunks began to laugh, thinking of Vegeta changing diapers. He quickly dressed and emerged from the locker room with his own clothes folded into a bundle. He tossed them into the hamper without even thinking, and then saw Vegeta carefully watching him.
"It goes without saying you knew that was there," Vegeta commented, arms folded across his chest.
"Uh yeah."
"Yoo-hoo! Anyone in there?" came a sickeningly sweet voice.
"Oh no, I was afraid of this!" Vegeta groaned. "It's the fairy godmother from HFIL!"
"Nana?" laughed Trunks. "I'm sure she'll flip."
"I don't want them to know just yet… it could be dangerous," said Vegeta quickly.
"What do you want to tell them, then, Father?"
“I don't know.”
Trunks chuckled. "Don't worry; it's up to you, Father. I'll do whatever you think's best… as long as they don't hurt Mom's feelings."
"You should call us sir and Ma'am when in mixed company, boy," said Vegeta. "That goes in line with your appallingly good manners…"
"Okay," Trunks said. "Now, where shall I say I'm from? I guess in Nana's mind outer space is as good as anything."
"Just tell them you're from the future. She won't care one way or the other," Vegeta relented, too tired to argue.
He opened the door to the yard, and strode across it. The light blue sweatshirt and jeans were a casual fit, interesting in contrast to Trunks wearing faded blue jeans and a white T-shirt. Vegeta threw him what appeared to be a leather jacket, and Trunks glanced at it with reverence.
"Thanks."
"Don't mention it, I can't stand it. It's yours if you want it," Vegeta shrugged as Trunks pulled it on.
"Cool," Trunks said, running his fingers over the leather. He picked up the sword belt and was about to put it on when Vegeta snatched it away.
"No weapons in the house, brat," said Vegeta with a huff. "I'll put that with the armor if you please. I have enough bitching from Bulma about using ki blasts."
"Just like Mom," Trunks shook his head with a grin.
"Oho there you are, and oh my goodness you have ANOTHER good looker with you? What is your name young man?" Bunny gasped as she eyed Trunks standing there.
"Um…"
"His name is Trunks, and he's a relative of mine," the Prince said quickly. "Trunks is the pronunciation in your language."
"OH what a coincidence, my father in law had the SAME name! Well, come on in! Bulma told me that you had company… but you look so handsome… are you unmarried?"
"Um… yeah… but…" Trunks blushed.
"Enough. Look can you find this brat a room while I go find Bulma?" Vegeta snorted frustrated.
"Oh YES, definitely!" Bunny squealed, running her hand over Trunk's shoulder. "Right this way, you handsome thing! I love your jacket! Bulma's young man has one EXACTLY like it!"
"I'm sure he does," Trunks began to snicker as Vegeta glared at him.
"Not a WORD, boy," Vegeta snapped. "Is dinner ready? I'm starving?"
He marched into the house followed by Bunny and Trunks in his new clothes. All the way there, Trunks awkwardly answered with a 'yes' or 'no' to the grandmother he'd only seen in pictures and remembered from when he was just a toddler. When they entered the main sitting room, Trunks glanced in disbelief at how pristine and whole everything appeared. He fought back tears with extreme difficulty through the whole trek to the dining room.
"I've got dinner ready. You sit right over here, you hunky young stud, and you sit over here, in your usual place next to our little princess."
"I know where to sit in my own house, woman," Vegeta grumbled to Mrs. Briefs.
She took his shoulder and gently pushed him to sit, but to Trunk's surprise Vegeta made no move to remove Nana's hand. He would always think of Bunny as Nana, he realized. Immediately Trunks removed his jacket and looked for a place to hang it. Bunny took it and indicated he should sit opposite Vegeta. Five plates were set out, one at the head, while the two in the middle across from his were for Vegeta and Bulma, while the one to his other side was for Bunny.
She squealed with delight at the sight of Trunks unfolding his napkin to place on his lap. "Such GOOD manners! My STARS this is delightful. Where did you say you were from?"
"The future?" Trunks teased, looking at Vegeta for a grudging nod.
"Where WERE you? Vegeta… Trunks?" Bulma called out before emerging to stand in the dining room entrance. Her eyes widened at the sight of Trunks and Vegeta calmly sitting at the table with neutral matching expressions. Bunny flitted about, dishing out food for both of them.
"If you're a Saiyan I know that you'll need plenty of fried chicken… I've got lots for both you handsome young men," Bunny said.
"Vegeta? Are you all right?"
"Everything's FINE, Bulma, what did you think?" Vegeta snorted at her indignantly.
"Hi ma'am," said Trunks, glancing at Bulma with a blush on his face. "Um, he got me some clothes. I hope it's not a problem."
"Not at all, man… it's just weird. I thought I'd see only ONE of you coming back from training," Bulma quipped, walking over and taking a seat by Vegeta. He smirked.
"What did you think? I'm not going to reduce a guest to ashes on the first day. I AM a Prince, and this brat does have manners, so I decided he could stay a little while. But it's not permanent!" Vegeta said quickly.
"Trunks?"
"Yep, it's true. I won't be staying forever. Just till Vegeta says it's time for me to go," Trunks said. Bulma raised a blue brow at Trunk's formal address. Vegeta reached for the plate as it passed around, loading up his dish with a mountain of mashed potatoes before passing it to Bulma.
"Honey, I smell dinner!" Called Dr. Briefs. Immediately Trunks' head snapped around to behold the older scientist shuffling in wearing a lab coat. Bunny rushed over to remove the coat and replace the black cat that was yawning and mewing on his shoulders.
"Sit down, you're just in time. We have a guest, and he's related to Bulma's young man!"
"Another one?" Dr. Briefs asked, sitting down at the head. "Well that's astonishing."
"Hello sir," said Trunks politely, standing up. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Dr. Briefs."
"He knows my name. Who are you, sonny?"
"His name is Trunks," said Vegeta quickly. "And he's Saiyan as I am. You need know nothing else."
"Hmm, I thought you said your planet was destroyed."
"Some of us survived," said Vegeta annoyed. "He arrived earlier today. And he's a member of my family."
“Your family? Are there more like you at home?” Mrs. Briefs asked.
Vegeta inhaled deeply. “Well, he's… he's my son.”
“Your SON?” gasped Dr. Briefs. “How is THAT possible?”
“Are you dim? It's the usual way!” Vegeta glared at him.
Bulma's mouth dropped open wide in shock. Trunks blushed, and Vegeta held up his finger for silence. Dr. Briefs glanced at Bulma with worry, causing Vegeta to scowl profusely.
“So, you're interested in a man who already has a son?” Dr. Briefs said quietly. “Bulma, sweetie, do you know about this?”
“I love him, dad,” she whispered.
“No you idiot, he's from the FUTURE! He's the child of me and your own daughter curse it! Not that it's any of your business!” Vegeta glared at everyone.
“Who cares where he came from?” Mrs. Briefs said. “He's one of the family if he's this handsome young man's son!”
"Well, if you ARE from the future, and you're a Briefs, welcome sonny," said Dr. Briefs, shaking Trunk's hand. "You have exceptionally good manners and that goes far.”
“Humph,” Vegeta snickered.
"Thank you, Gramps," Trunks said with a bow. "I would love to hear your latest research."
"And you well may. Are you a scientist?"
"My mother is very smart," said Trunks quickly. Bulma blushed, and Vegeta smirked with his arms folded over his chest.
"What's your line of work?" asked Dr. Briefs. "Are you one of those Z fighters that Bulma has over?"
"He's a secret agent," Vegeta said quickly. Bulma opened her mouth, but felt Vegeta's hand slipping over her thigh to give it a pinch.
"I'll put you in that spare room just down from theirs," Bunny smiled as she patted Trunk's shoulder. "If that's all right?"
"Whatever, just let's eat already! I'm starving!" Vegeta barked irritably. Bunny sat down next to a blushing Trunks and they inclined their heads for a moment while Dr. Briefs gave a reverent word to their ancestors. Then it was time to dig in. Trunks heard his mom and Bunny chattering over the latest styles while Dr. Briefs put in a word here or there. Vegeta was mostly silent while Trunks patiently endured Bunny's questions in the most evasive manner. Vegeta or Bulma quickly fielded some of them in their cryptic manner. Not once did Vegeta snap at Trunks, much to Bulma's amazement.

Thirty plates were piled on the sideboard an hour later. Everyone laughed and joked around the Briefs family table, sipping wine together in the warm chandelier light cast from overhead. Even Vegeta cracked a small smirk that suggested anything but smugness. Trunks smiled as he listened to Dr. Briefs story about a tracking system he'd just invented. Vegeta's left hand rested on Bulma's thigh, gently stroking it up and down out of view of everyone else. She rested her left hand on top, stroking the back of his hand thoughtfully. Both were lost in Trunk's peeling resonant laughter, and in their own thoughts.
"Wow I'm stuffed," Trunks said, rubbing his belly. "You're a terrific cook as always, grandma. I mean as I've always heard Vegeta boast.”
"Ohh you're too kind! You are definitely one of our kids," Bunny cooed, and leaned over to peck an embarrassed Trunks on the cheek. He glanced helplessly at his 'parents'.
"You're on your own there, brat," Vegeta smirked at Trunks. Bulma felt Vegeta's hand slide up her thigh and give it a suggestive squeeze. Soon her skin coloring matched her future son's.
"I'm going to be in my lab tonight, sweetie. So make sure I get some tea," said Dr. Briefs. He rose from the table and walked around to where Trunks still sat.
"Thank you sir, for letting me stay here," he said.
"You're welcome. I hope you have all you need. My daughter and new… grandson. Make sure… as well as the missus… so you just shout," said Dr. Briefs. "And if you want to see my latest invention, come along tomorrow morning."
"Thanks, Gramps," Trunks smiled. Dr. Briefs kissed his wife, then Bulma on the cheek. He patted Vegeta on the shoulder before exiting. Vegeta's left hand reappeared from where it had sat on Bulma's lap, and Trunks blinked at the gleam of gold on the third finger. He hadn't seen Vegeta's hands without the gloves, and it staggered him.
Bulma blinked as well, glancing at Vegeta's finger. She shot him a questioning glance as she touched it. Vegeta gave a small smirk, and whispered something into her ear. "Later, I'll explain Bulma," he promised.
"How much later?" she blinked.
"In bed," he whispered back.
"Um, is there anything else I need to do, father? Ma'am before I see where I'm staying?" trunks asked them awkwardly.
"Where did you park your time machine?" Vegeta asked quickly.
"I took care of that," Bulma said. "I had it encapsulated and it's in my laboratory now. I hope I'm charging it quickly…"
"I could go look and make sure," Trunks offered. "I'm sure you both have lots to talk about…"
"You do that, son, and then turn in. I will be commencing training at 0700 tomorrow," said Vegeta quickly. "Meet me at the gravity room. A training suite will be at the foot of your bed."
"Training?" Bulma blinked.
"His powers need work," Vegeta said casually, sipping the last of his milkshake.
"But what were you two doing?"
"Testing my powers," said Trunks with an elusive smile. "Right?"
"Right," Vegeta nodded. "The boy will be staying here till he's ready to leave."
"That's great. but I thought…" Bulma blinked, looking from Trunks to Vegeta in confusion.
"It's been taken care of," said Vegeta. "What, did you think I'd blow up the house?"
"You two weren't really getting along. what's going on here?"
"Let's just say we reached an understanding, right?" Trunks smiled, getting up from his chair and going around standing by Bulma.
"MEN!" she snorted. "Go on and have your joke."
"Good night, Mom," said Trunks as he leaned over and kissed her cheek. She gasped as he hugged her from where he crouched.
"Good night Trunks," she answered, feeling strange about this nearly grown man referring to her with such familiarity.
"Good night, boy," Vegeta grunted, holding up two fingers in a strange salute.
"Good night Father," said Trunks, repeating the gesture. He strode off, beaming with happiness. Bulma swallowed hard, blinking at Vegeta with her mouth wide open.
"He's not so annoying once you get accustomed to him," Vegeta reflected.
"You… you… son of a…"
"Don't sit there catching flies, woman," Vegeta snickered, leaning over to kiss her trembling lips. Bulma squealed with outrage and relief when Vegeta's tongue thrust hungrily into her mouth. For a time the two lovers shared the deep kiss, their passions inflaming till Bulma pulled away for breath.
"Vegeta you could have TOLD me."
"What, and spoil my surprise?" he winked, stroking her cheek. "You and I have much to discuss regarding the Prince of All Saiyan's misperceptions and what he can do to make amends to his life mate."
"It had better be good," Bulma glared at him, though her heart was flip-flopping with ecstasy in her chest.