Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Royal Namekian Blues ❯ Ascention and Tension ( Chapter 71 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Ascensionand Tension
A/N: Thanks to everyone for their support. I know this is a bit late in coming, and it's a bit short. But more will be on the way I hope!

While Bardock and Kinoha both 'reunited' in Korin's, two figures rocketed at a fast pace from the saucer shaped tower. Cradled in her mate's arms, she hardly wished to tell him of what had transpired: Vegeta and Trunks had gone after Nappa in search of Android 17. Nothing had been heard from them except the order for the Saiyans to protect the humans of West City. Gohan and Goku had returned home and strange broadcasts had continued across West City.
"Love, what has happened on the outside?" Raditz whispered, his voice interlaced with crackling power. "The prince has not communicated with me. My scouter has gone silent… as has my father's."
Stellari snuggled closer to Raditz gi covered chest. Feeling his wife settling against him more comfortably created a small glow of pride. "Much, Raditz. While you've been inside, things have moved forwards. Vegeta's said we're to go back to the 'hunting lodge' and wait his further orders. And that he wants to see you and Bardock's progress. We've got five days till his 'signal'."
"What of the other Saiyans? What has changed?"
"He's directed the Saiyans to protect the citizens in case androids attack, but everything's eerily quiet. Krillin's managed to get somewhere with the one called 18. The fighting has stopped but only for a small time. Vegeta's ordered everyone to stay out of his way. And there have been strange broadcasts…"
Slightly impatient, Raditz grunted, "Back up a bit, Stellari. I do not normally question the Prince's commands, but I wish to know the events that led up to them… and what do they have to do with TV?"
Stellari took a deep breath to overcome her own frustration. She hated being interrupted once she provided any explanation. It was a trait common among her and her fellow scientists at Capsule. "I'm getting to that. Android 13's been on many television channels. He says that if the fighting stops, he and his androids will challenge the Saiyans in a week's time. Vegeta and Trunks couldn't defeat the androids by themselves, so Goku suggested everyone take the warnings seriously. Krillin's talk with 18 confirmed it was genuine. So we've all been waiting."
Unimpressed Raditz snorted, "The Prince condones this? How can we trust the word of a machine?"
"Android 13 might be considered a monster, Raditz. But he seems rational enough. He didn't kill our children… remember."
To this statement Raditz frowned, "And what have the authority figures on the world said to this?"
"Android 13 has actually… negotiated with this world's King. He wants to show his 'benevolence'. He said he knows how humans like games, so he's holding open challenges for any fighter, Saiyan or Human to face his androids in single combat in a week's time."
Sarcasm tinged Raditz voice, "So he hopes to endear himself to the humans by holding ritual combats. Win your affections by a display of power. And don't tell me, he asks the Saiyans to fight as well? You realize Stellari that he's using SAIYAN customs?"
"How so?"
Memories from Raditz own past fueled his explanation. It seemed so easy to put all the pieces together from the rationality he had gained through their bond. While she had taken on his fighter's instinct he had inherited her reasoning scientific brain. Putting it to use he explained, "Think Stellari… Bliss was captured for a time. She could have divulged enough Saiyan culture that he learned about the rite of satisfaction. It was how the Royal Family dealt with meeting outsiders. It kept us under control, by having Saiyans fight his soldiers in a sort of 'combative games'. If the challenger refused our offer then we would declare war. But if they were to prove at least worthy adversaries then we'd fight them one to one. But Freeza abolished the games. Instead he used them as a means to control us. His father defeated the King's champion and thus controlled our world."
In response to this quick history lesson Stellari blinked, "Then… that explains it. He did say if any hostilities happen against him he'll not stop the androids from attacking the Saiyans."
"It is the very custom. I wouldn't be surprised if the ultimate aim was to fight the one enemy he hates most as a grand finale. None other than my brother…" Raditz said grimly.
"A week's time. By now only five more days. He says he's acting to protect the humans, but 18 says otherwise. And Vegeta's given orders that we wait for his signal," related she.
"And when will that be?"
"On the day of the first bout, Vegeta has agreed to meet Android 13 at this… arena he's building.”
"Hmm, that makes sense. Doubtless he's already fought with the androids… has he used the ki enhancers?"
Stellari nodded, "Yes. He and Trunks fought 17 and 16 with Bulma's ki enhancers just before the broadcasts began. The readings they got are going into developing ones that all the Saiyans can use, but only when the time is right."
"If I know the 'games', he will fight the 'weaker' warriors of Earth, and the games will progressively entertain. And the humans will be so entertained they'll not notice if the Androids make any other moves," Raditz growled.
"So you think as much as the Prince does. That this is a ruse?" asked Stellari.
"Indeed. I'm sure Goku and the Prince knew this all along. It's the same ploy used by the Changelings. And that proves the Androids have gotten much. Remember Nappa's console was stolen… they could have drained every drop of information about Freeza's culture…"
"Damn I didn't even think of that…" muttered Stellari. In Raditz arms she shivered, haunted by the menace of ulterior motives veiled within even the Prince's plans. Controlling information proved who was in charge. Was she foolish in trusting the Saiyan Prince would save the world, or would they put their trust in Goku?"
"So, my time with Father was not wasted," said Raditz. "We have a week, eh?"
"What did you and Goku know that I didn't? Did the Prince give you different orders?" Stellari asked.
Raditz fixed teal eyes, devoid of pupils into hers. It was unnerving to look into the depths as fathomless as the ocean, and she quaked at his next words. "My brother guessed the true intent all along. And so did the Prince, but by accident. Vegeta and my brother are working together, but the Prince is too proud to admit it. I fear he might wrest the chance himself to fight 13… that's why Goku suggested my father and I train. In case this is all a trap, we need every available Saiyan to face these tin cans," said Raditz.
"So you fear treachery."
"Indeed. Killing the champion of the world would frighten the humans into submission. The Prince might well seize the chance if Goku should fail, and prove his own supremacy. And he wants every Saiyan warrior capable of ascending to stand at his side," Raditz whispered.
"But you… you look different… and your power levels are…" she shivered.

Two tanned bodies wrestled in the throes of passion. Lips fused together in an endless kiss, their tails twisted and writhed, as inseparable as Bardock was from his mate. When at last they cried one another's names they collapsed in a sweaty bundle of muscle. Around Bardock and Kinoha the sheets of the bed Korin had loaned them lay scattered. Bits of armor were stacked against the wall, along with plates of food. Through the windows of the tower they could see the beams of the rising sun, which paled in comparison to Bardock's.
"You are so different…" Kinoha whispered, fingering the locks of her husband's hair. Bardock lay across from her, his whole glorious body revealed to his mate.
"Indeed. I will show you now." Bardock said, stroking Kinoha's cheek.
"See the power I now wield," Bardock laughed, standing up. Crossing over to the rectangular window he turned so he faced her lying across the bed. Head thrown back he let out a loud cry, energy flickering to life around his body.
Wind whipped Kinoha's long hair before her face, while the floor rattled with waves of invisible force. Cups and plates rattled, and began to levitate. Sparks crackled ever upwards from the floor itself, blowing his spiked hair upwards. Working himself up into that level Bardock suddenly blazed into blinding gold brilliance. Through the flames of sheer energy she saw turquoise eyes staring from under his stern brow. Around his waist his tail too had taken on the same inner glow as his hair spiked upwards.
Shielding her own countenance with one arm Kinoha gasped, "My love… you've done it… like our sons."
"I can see so much," Bardock laughed, his voice tinged with energy. The radiance dropped, only leaving his hair and face glowing, and his skin bathed in the same inner aura. It was as if his body itself radiated light. She could see why Raditz clothes had a shimmery golden hue, for every inch of Bardock's skin seemed lit from within.
"If you can do this, can every Saiyan? Even the women?" asked Kinoha.
"I don't know," Bardock said as she shied back from him. Extending his hand downwards he turned his palm up. She gingerly accepted it, and then felt the energy buzzing through her own body.
"There is a state beyond Super Saiyan. The Prince and his son discovered it. But what was most terrifying was there was yet another my son has found that he's told only his friends. He's holding back from his true potential," Bardock whispered.
"Like he did in the hospital?" she shivered.
Bardock eagerly nodded, "Yes. There is Super Saiyan, and a level beyond that which increases our bulk. You can't move too well. I reached it myself… but what goes beyond it is the form my brother reached. He even suspected there was an ultimate form but he's told no one."
"And you know this how?"
"I have seen the possibilities," Bardock whispered. "In my visions I saw Kakkarot fighting 13, and falling. And he saw Gohan reach this level beyond the Super Saiyan, and although he defeated 13, the menace returned and destroyed us all."
"Do Kakkarot and Raditz know this?" Kinoha queried.
"I only had the visions in the HTC. Both of us thought it best not to tell anyone. That being called Mr. Popo… he said seeing the future is a two edged sword. Even if you know what might happen… it may not help unless the right person sees it in time."
"So even though you follow the Prince's orders, you won't tell him?"
"There are some things that we must judge for ourselves, Kinoha. A year alone with my son has shown us much. Thinking for yourself instead of blindly following orders… you didn't grow up along with the Prince. He's had a lifetime of corruption by Freeza as have I and Nappa. I was the first to realize by not questioning we are all slaves. And Goku knew this because he grew up on this small world…"
"But this is treason against the Prince!" Kinoha gasped.
Bardock shook his head and sat down next to her. "No love. Blind obedience does make no sense. Even as we served Freeza I could still think for myself, but I thought I could never escape because no one around me felt the same way," Bardock said.
"But to keep such knowledge to yourself…" Kinoha stammered.
"The power is incredible, love. I feel as if I can do almost anything. It is like a drug… if I'm not careful I'll lose all reason in my arrogance," Bardock admitted. "I see now why Goku is so unique… he doesn't have any desire to dominate. To him, fighting is a sport. But to a full blooded Saiyan it's tempting to use this power to conquer and avenge."
"What would the Prince do if he defeated 13? Would he use this power to help Earth, or would he build an empire?"
"I don't know. I am more concerned with protecting my family. You and our children. And Kakkarot… and his. Now that I've tasted life outside the circle of serving as a soldier… and seeing what our Sons have here," he murmured.
"You've ascended," she observed. "You told me it took much to bring it out but you did it!"
"And it proved that my bloodline is capable of amazing power that could rival that of the Royal house… is disturbing," Bardock said with a frown.
"You think the Prince would somehow… be afraid of you?"
"That is why Kakkarot hid his discovery from everyone except Gohan. He knew the boy could reach that level beyond even what the Prince and his son discovered. And Bardock saw it for a second when Goku's passions erupted. Pure rage brings out the Saiyan ascension, not merely a 'pure heart'. The primal urge to protect and go beyond your own limitations. That is the key," Bardock laughed, shaking his head.
"And YOU can do this too?" protested Kinoha. "Surely you don't want your son to beat you! You never wished that to be so!"
"Kinoha, I've been a foolish old sod. Even though I know my Son will always be the stronger, perhaps in a way that's best. I have no need to surpass him, because I know my own family will always have that privilege through him. It seems that reaching Super Saiyan is easier for hybrids, but the other forms are only achievable through those of full Saiyan blood."
"Like Gohan?"
"Even Gohan. I knew why Kakkarot wanted him to fight. But I won't allow my grandson to fight when I am capable. He is the hope of the next generation. To snuff that out is pointless. Kakkarot doesn't expect to win. I could see it in his eyes."
Kinoha pressed her hand to her mouth, chewing on her knuckles. "He means to die?"
"If necessary. That's why he's taken Gohan into the chamber this day. Despite all of our objections he's there now, pushing his boy to his limits," said Bardock. "He's as stubborn as I."
"But you said…"
"I didn't expect him to listen to me," Bardock interrupted her harshly. "And it's better if he didn't. Gohan might be our last and best hope. There's power in that boy which could surpass even Kakkarot's. But he's no warrior. He's a scholar."
"He has no desire to fight. I've seen it," Kinoha snorted.
"Exactly. This is why I must do what my grandson can't. It will be up to me and Raditz, and the Prince's son. Should Gohan loose his nerve to fight, then we'll need everyone's help," related he.