Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chances for Bardock's Sons ❯ Raditz a Z fighter? ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Second Chances For Bardock's Son's
Raditz, a Z Fighter?
By Trynia Merin aka StarbearerTM
Disclaimer: I don't own Dragon Ball Z or Dragon Ball. I only own Tomic, Cabernet, and a few other fancharacters. Toriyama and Funimation Toei Bird Studios Shuesha own DBZ. I don't get rich off this! This is Fan fiction! Don't sue me!
-------------------------
 
Having shucked his armor, Raditz mumbled as he struggled not to bump into the trees around him. In front of a small pagoda Goku had taken his brother, to train him how to sense ki. Which proved to be more difficult then he imagined. It was only an hour after they had first met, and Goku was healed almost completely. He had led Raditz to his Grandpa Gohan's house as a good remote place to train him.
 
"I feel ridiculous!" Raditz snorted, as Goku tied a blindfold around his eyes.
 
"Ah, it's the only way. That's how Mr. Popo trained me, so that's what you gotta put up with!" Goku laughed. Raditz flailed his hands before him, his spiky hair spilling around the blindfold. Goku couldn't resist poking fun at the ruthless Saiyan warrior struggling to sense where he is.
 
"I can still SMELL you, brother," he snorted.
 
"That's cheating! You gotta find me. It's hide and seek," Goku laughed, his high pitched voice driving Raditz up the wall.
 
"Foolish games. I can track anything with my eyes closed!" Raditz laughed.
 
"Prove it then," Goku taunted, levitating out of the way. He stood cautiously still, focusing his own mind to damp down his own life force. Years of training had prepared him to be a good fighter, but trying to teach those skills to another was a challenge that he had never faced.
 
Raditz grumbled. He had always been the butt of jokes, since he was a whelp. They called him wimp and weakling, and thus he was relegated to disastrous ruin. Not till he had kicked serious butt in training fight did someone namely Napa take notice of him. Taking the elder son of Bardock and shaping him into a warrior had been the task of Napa, the Prince's guardian. Although not the brightest bulb, Napa had good warrior reflexes and abilities to teach his skills. Eventually he shaped Raditz into a worthy third class warrior.
 
Now his own brother was struggling to teach him something new. Narrowing his focus he sought the life force of his brother. "Hear with your WHOLE body," Goku urged. "Not just your smell, hearing and all that stuff. Use your senses together. Just see the light from my body."
 
"Ridiculous, but I accept your challenge," Raditz chuckled.
 
As the Saiyan pursued his brother, four figures slowly descended to watch. Tien had sensed the energies of two powerful forces. Chiaotzu had sensed a mind filled with hostility and determination of purpose. Burning hatred masked a concerned spirit tortured by years of domination. To prove himself greater than the role nature had placed him in.
 
"Who is THAT?" Krillen shivered, sitting on the top of a nearby rock. Yamcha snorted, glancing at Goku's games.
 
"He's just like Goku's life force," Tien commented, sitting in a lotus position. He hovered in midair, while Chiaotzu did the same. Like unlikely brothers the two focused their own perceptions to discern the alien's intent.
 
"Man he looks far tougher then most fighters I've seen. He's a monster," whispered Yamcha. Something inside him felt sick and excited simultaneously.
 
"He feels like Goku, but his mind is clouded by rage," Chiaotzu shivered.
 
"I hear voices!" Raditz grunted.
 
"Don't let yourself be distracted by outside noises!" Goku taunted. Every word of instruction Mr. Popo had given him echoed through his mouth now when dealing with his brother.
 
Four students settled down to watch Goku instruct his brother on ki sensing. Chiaotzu used the time to quietly listen to the alien's thoughts while Yamcha and the others analyzed his fluid movements. They were predatory like a great cat. Of all four, Yamcha's style seemed the most similar. Raditz moved with a grace that belied his bulk yet he stumbled much like astronauts trying to walk on the moon.
 
"He's not from this world. Or at least from a world like ours. Look at how clumsy he moves sometimes like he's used to stomping," Krillen mumbled.
 
"Why does he keep that tail wrapped around his waist?" wondered Tien.
 
"If he's like Goku its better not to let someone grab it," said Yamcha knowingly. "Man, I would hate to see him change during a full moon."
 
"You never did tell Goku did you?" Krillen asked.
 
"It would break his heart, Bulma said,” Yamcha shushed him, clapping a hand over his mouth. "Cause he'd start asking all sorts of questions, and then you know..."
 
"Sorry, me and my big mouth," Krillen apologized. "Sheesh!"
 
"I have you NOW!" Raditz laughed, pouncing on top of Goku. Suddenly Goku felt himself pinned by the bulk of his brother. He flipped over, rolling Raditz under him so he could pin him, then throw the Saiyan over his head. Yelling Raditz went flying straight into the cliff where the four Z warriors sat. All he heard was the sound of four voices yelling 'gangway' or 'watch out'. For a split second he'd sensed four sparks of energy far less then Goku's.
 
Goku moved silently using bukujutsu. He'd taken off his weighted boots and vest to reduce the noise. Raditz twisted around to land on booted feet, his hands held out. On one foot with the other pointed towards the ground he took up his stance, remaining still as a statue. Goku saw the great muscles tense in anticipation. Raditz moved painstakingly slow then suddenly vanished from view. Goku forced his perceptions to the limit, struggling to track where his ki was. It dawned on him it was much like the afterimage technique, so he barely managed to slam his fist into Raditz' punch just in time. Dropping, he kicked Raditz feet from under him, knocking him off balance. However Raditz rolled back, landing in a squat before sweeping his own leg out at blinding speed.
 
"You're pushing your luck, brother," Raditz laughed, swiping out his tail and latching it around Goku's leg. Yelping, Goku landed headlong on his face. He felt Raditz' knee pin him down, and groaned.
 
"Goku!" gasped Yamcha.
 
"No, wait," Tien cautioned him. "Goku's got it under control. Look!"
 
Unfortunately Goku struggled against his brother's knee. Face flaring red with effort, Goku thrust up with his arms, knocking Raditz off him. Again the alien had underestimated the effects of minimal gravity. He flew towards the rock wall, crashing into it, and sending the other four z warriors flying. Tien and Chiaotzu simply levitated up while Krillen and Yamcha tumbled harmlessly to the side.
 
"HYAAAH!" Raditz snarled, raising his hand. "Saturday CRUSH!"
 
Goku barely dodged the purple sphere that hurtled towards him. It was far less intensity then the other attack had been. But he deflected it all the same. Yamcha yelped, suddenly dodging as it hurled his way. Krillen raised his hand, shouting, "Destructo Disc!" to hurl his own energy attack to dissipate it. Fortunately it was enough to cancel the sphere, generating a blinding flash like a solar flair.
 
"Who, what was that?" Raditz gasped, sitting upright. He had sensed the flair in battle power. "Four other warriors of no mean energy!"
 
"You did it!" Goku laughed, jumping up and down. He rushed to Raditz' side and tugged the blindfold off, slugging his brother on the back.
 
"I... did?" he asked, glancing around at the four warriors arranged in a semicircle around him. Two were the ones that Tomic's scouter had picked up; a tall muscled figure with scarred visage like his father, and a bald short one, as bald as Napa. He had generated the destructo disc. Levitating nearby a pale faced youth vibrated with mental energies, pushing back with a TK field that was palpable. Fist glowing, a three eyed warrior his height trained his full might on Raditz.
 
"Who is this Goku?" asked Tien.
 
"My brother, Raditz," said Goku. "Say hi to my friends. These are Earth's Special Forces. That's Tien, the little guy is Chiaotzu, and then those two are my best friends Krillen and Yamcha."
 
"You... I saw you on my mate's scouter! She saved you two," Raditz exclaimed.
 
"YIKES you know us? How?" asked Krillen, generating another destructo disc. He hurled it before anyone could stop him. Raditz caught the disc, looking at it appreciatively.
 
"This is amazing for such primitive beings! Never have I seen an attack quite like this one, small one. You're quite adept even if your power level is low," Raditz commented, tossing it back. "Can you control it?"
 
"Yeah but who are you calling weak? I'm small but I pack a punch!" Krillen snapped.
 
"Easy, I mean you no harm," Raditz said quietly. "If you are my brother's friends I will not attack you. Besides, it seems I may have underestimated your strength."
 
"You got that right, pal!" Yamcha said angrily. "You'd better not try any funny stuff cause we'll all take you out!"
 
"OF that I have no doubt," Raditz blinked, feeling the flaring of four energies far greater than he'd anticipated.
 
"How did you know who we were?" Yamcha asked again, his fists held up in defense.
 
"This," Raditz said, tapping something at his hip. "It's a transgalactic communicator. It also senses what you earthlings call 'ki'."
 
"Really? Just like Bulma's toy!" said Krillen.
 
"You have seen one like this? Where?" Raditz asked, jumping up.
 
"Whoa, easy there now!" said Goku, grabbing his brother's arm. Tien and the others generated spheres of energy or respective attacks. Suddenly Raditz felt force fields smash him backwards as the small white skinned being threw his hands forward.
 
"Don't make any hasty moves," Tien said. "My buddy Chiaotzu can push back whatever you can throw."
 
"A telekinetic? I hadn't realized the earthlings had advanced mental capacities," said Raditz quietly. He placed the scouter on, and pressed buttons to take their readings. His eyes flared wide with shock.
 
"You can't rely on that thing," said Goku quietly. "Our true powers are hidden. You'd best throw it away."
 
"My scouter?" asked Raditz, pulling it off.
 
"Can I um... look at that?" Krillen asked. "I mean Bulma has hers, and well..."
 
"Catch, small one," said Raditz, throwing it. Krillen easily flashed out his hand and plucked it out of the air. Still Raditz felt Chiaotzu's TK field pushing him back as if he were experiencing full gravity. While he knew it was for defense, he still wondered what the little guys' capabilities were.
 
"Thanks. Wow, it's just like Bulma's. You say it's a radio that tunes in outer space stuff, huh?" Krillen said, glancing at the flickering readings. "How do I get it to sense ki?"
 
"Be very careful with that. It's highly delicate. And you don't want to hit transmit. Unless you want every word heard by someone else," said Raditz.
 
"I thought you were recording everything," Goku blinked.
 
"Only when I chose to, brother," said Raditz. Krillen pulled off the scouter and tossed it back to Raditz. The Saiyan folded it carefully and adhered it to his waist. HE reached down and picked up the armor, hefting it over his head to place it on. Wearing the gold shoulder flashes he looked far more terrifying. Yet he was only a bit taller then Tienshinhan.
 
"Um no offense, but while Chiaotzu's holding him, why should we trust him?" asked Tien.
 
"Good question. What's to stop this space monkey from taking us tot he cleaners?" asked Krillen.
 
"Space monkey? How highly amusing," Raditz threw back his head and laughed a bit harshly.
 
"Well you have a tail like one!" Krillen said, resting his hands on his hips. "And you are pretty powerful. You gotta admit you're threatening as it is!"
 
"You did blow up those soldiers," Goku said.
 
"WAIT! He did THAT?" asked Yamcha. "Wait, this guy is bad news!"
 
"So is Piccolo," said Tien. "Are you going to try and conquer Earth?"
 
"No," Raditz said. "I only want one thing. To get my mate back, and teach my brother here what it means to be Saiyan."
 
"What's a Saiyan?" asked Krillen.
 
"Space monkey?" Yamcha shrugged.
 
"Correct, though rather crude," Raditz said. "Now if you don't mind, I would prefer that TK field to be removed."
 
"Sorry, but we don't trust you," said Tien.
 
"You are wise," said Raditz quietly. "So, brother, I see your friends are not as foolish as you."
 
"What does THAT mean?" Krillen grunted, furrowing his dark brows at Raditz.
 
"Means he's being realistic," said Tien. "Chiaotzu?"
 
"He cannot hurt us if we all strike together," his friend's voice echoed in his mind. "I will release him, but be wary. I can sense if he's going to strike or not."
 
"Okay, let him go, Chiaotzu. But all three of my eyes are on you, pal," Tien said, glaring at Raditz.
 
"Man, you should get some different threads. That armor creeps me out," said Yamcha. "No offense."
 
"Threads?" Raditz asked.
 
"Clothes, man," said Krillen. "Oh boy have you got a lot to learn. Why ARE you here anyway?"
 
"To find my brother and mate," said Raditz.
 
"Your mate? You mean that other space monkey is your girlfriend?" Yamcha laughed. "Oh no wonder! And seriously Goku's your brother?"
 
"I thought something was weird, but you're from outer space, Goku?" Krillen blinked. "No wonder."
 
"Yeah, it explains a lot," said Tien.
 
"But are you going to help us fight piccolo or what?" asked Yamcha. "He has BOTH our girls."
 
"You are the mate of the blue haired one?" asked Raditz.
 
"Um, well we're not... like THAT," said Yamcha, blushing profusely as everyone laughed.
 
"So you're Cavorting. Not yet bonded. I see," Raditz said.
 
"Um I'm not even gonna ask!" Krillen groaned.
 
"I guess we're going steady, if that's what 'cavorting' is," said Yamcha. "But you say mate, as in marriage?"
 
"If it's like Kakkarot and his mate, yes," said Raditz.
 
"Um, he does mean that," Goku said.
 
"Ah. She is a lovely female. You are fortunate," said Raditz.
 
"How did you know..."
 
Raditz tapped the scouter. "Everything Tomic recorded was broadcast to me. I know where she is, till I was interrupted. And my scouter cannot locate her or the Namekian."
 
"Namekia... who?" Krillen asked. "That's what Tomic called Piccolo."
 
"He's an alien from the planet Namek. Apparently he was just as shocked to hear that as you," said Raditz.
 
"Wow, that explains a lot too," said Goku. "So piccolo and I are from outer space! Wow."
 
"Your powers are so out of this world, it explains a whole lot," said Tien. "If I had known..."
 
"Would it have mattered?" asked Chiaotzu.
 
"Can you sense my mate's thoughts, esper?" asked Raditz.
 
"What's an esper?"
 
"A term for those with TK and psychic abilities. That being is quite advanced, but lacks the full power of a Saiyan esper. But his TK abilities are worth that of a third class," said Raditz. "In fact all of you have appreciable levels. It would be interesting to train you."
 
"You train US to fight like space monkeys, come on!" Yamcha laughed.
 
"Don't laugh, Tomic did move awfully fast. And she blew up that red ribbon army with one blast," said Krillen.
 
"Can you show my friends how you move so fast?" Goku asked. "Since I showed you ki sensing?"
 
"How long till the tournament?" asked Raditz.
 
"Two days," said Krillen.
 
"There is much to learn in that time, but if you're seasoned warriors perhaps I can show you the principles. If you show me that flying disc," said Raditz.
 
"Okay, you got a deal," said Krillen. "If you show me how to move quickly."
 
"I could show you my Wolf's fang fist," Yamcha said.
 
"Give me a break!" groaned Tien.
 
"Hey, it's not so bad!" Yamcha glared at him.
 
"I'm intrigued," said Raditz. "Show me this 'wolf's fang fist', and this destructo disc."
 
"How about your dodompa?"
 
"Sorry, that's a trade secret," Tien said. "But you already can throw ki. Why do you need us?"
 
"I can throw ki, but not to the extent that you can finely manipulate it. Your powers are low but your manipulation is far superior to my own. There is much we can learn from each other," Raditz said.
 
"That Saturday Crush was like a spirit ball," Yamcha said.
 
"And that Double sundae was a kamehameha," said Goku.
 
"Fine then, let the exchange begin," Raditz said.
 
"If you're going to fight with us, you have to look the part," Goku said, pulling something out of his bag. He threw a red fighting outfit at Raditz. "So you can blend in with the natives."
 
"Fine, I'll wear the flimsy clothes. If it will help find Tomic. But I wear my own armor in the competition," he said.
 
"That might not be wise. Piccolo will suspect you," said Yamcha.
 
"Fine then, idiots," Raditz mumbled. He shed his armor and grabbed the fighting gi Goku threw him. Minutes later he returned wearing Goku's spare gi, which stretched a bit tightly over him. Everyone was rather impressed with the change.
 
"You look almost normal," said Yamcha. "But the hair you might wanna throw it back."
 
"Fine, the things I do for my mate," Raditz mumbled. Yamcha moved behind him and tied his huge mane back into a long ponytail that cascaded down his back. Without the armor and scouter, Raditz did look almost human. A lot less threatening at least. On the back the round Kame sennen mark was half hidden by his hair. He forwent the china flats and kept his boots though, and the gauntlets from his armor.
 
"Now, let's begin," Raditz said. "If you would tell me what the best way to do this is..."
 
"Hyper speed first," Yamcha said. "Wolf's fang fist and destructo disc later."
 
"Fair enough. Let's see what you're made of," Raditz said, circling as Yamcha moved up. The others moved back to watch. Goku and Krillen paired off to spar, trying to mimic the movements of the others. Soon it became apparent to Raditz how fragile the humans were, and he knew he had to hold back lest he broke their bones.
 
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------
Three hours later for dinner, all of them had headed to Goku's house, which was part capsule, part traditional Chinese to eat. Goku's wife Chichi had said little except for them to wash their hands and sit at the table outside to eat. Since all of them save Tien and his friend Chiaotzu wore the same gi, some people less familiar with the Kame Sennen mark would mistake it for a large letter Zed, hence the other name of the Earth's Special forces. Yajirobe had come up with that moniker which stuck.
 
"Some people call us 'Z Warriors'," said Goku.
 
"Go figure," Krillen laughed.
 
"It's those people who can't read Japanese or Chinese," said Yamcha with a laugh.
 
"He eats as much as Goku, so they MUST be related," said Tien, watching Goku trying to teach Raditz how to use chopsticks.
 
All that remained of his Saiyan outfit were his boots, gauntlets and the scouter hooked over the blue tie of his uniform. Instead of the blue undershirt he had just the top like Krillen and Yamcha. Chichi flitted about asking Raditz all sorts of questions he wasn't sure how to answer. He gave as evasive answers as possible, wondering how such a female had such power over his brother. Sure her ki was a modest 50, but she seemed frail in comparison to a Saiyan female. Nevertheless her spirit and fire were identical, not to mention her dark eyes and hair were very Saiyan. For the first time in his long tortured life Raditz felt something like peace, and it frightened him. He wondered when it would be taken away like the short childhood he remembered with his doting mother. Saiyan females were protective of their offspring, and his mother had been no different. Till Kakkarot was born, and his attention was shifted to his warrior career. His father was very hard on him for not becoming a scientist like himself, and that started the rift. In addition Kakkarot's low power soured him even more. Raditz didn't have the desire to tell him that one of the times he went to check on his younger brother's progress; he saw a far greater level.
 
He kept it secret to spite his father. Now he wished he had told Bardock. His son had friends, a mate, and soon a son. Something Raditz had been denied. Desperately he wished he had been the one resigned to this fate. For a moment he forgot his savageness and just wanted to bask in this gilded cage. Part of him knew it was just transitional, but the rest drank it in. How had he gone so soft? The answer was clear. Tomic and he had exchanged thoughts and memories in their bonding. Now that the bond was forged, dreams and memories spilled from one to the other. All of Raditz' harsh training moved to her, while her memories of a time before her Saiyan life had spilled into his mind. That life was far better than killing and maiming.
 
"Who is this new friend of yours, huh?" asked Chichi, looking at Raditz. He appeared as just another strong warrior in Goku's get up, which was a good thing.
 
"He's… well Chichi, he's my long lost brother, Raditz."
 
"Your BROTHER? Why didn't you TELL me you had a family Goku! You could have invited him to the wedding!" Chichi scolded him. Everyone hid their various laughs.
 
"What's so funny?" Chichi glared at them.
 
"Um, he's from a long way away, and I didn't know he was alive. He's been searching for me for years, Chi," said Goku. He glanced at the others, who shook their heads no.
 
"I'm from… a faraway country," Raditz said, coming to his brother's rescue. "I'm looking for my mate… wife… she's been kidnapped by Piccolo Jr."
 
"Well why didn't you SAY so! Goku, you gotta go save her!" said Chichi angrily. "To think I had a sister and brother in law! So where's your parents?"
 
"They're dead," Raditz said quickly. "Our enemies attacked and destroyed our homeland. There is nothing left but ashes."
 
"Was it that Red Ribbon army, my Kami Goku they're terrible!" Chichi wailed. "You have to get rid of them once and for all. We can't have our firstborn growing up in such horrible times!"
 
"Our first what?" asked Goku.
 
"Hey, does this mean she's got a bun in the oven?" Yamcha asked. Krillen whacked him hard.
 
"I just found out today," said Chichi. "You and I are going to have a baby!"
 
Goku swung backwards, landing in the dirt next to the others. Raditz blinked at her, and shook his head. "Is it customary to celebrate such news in your land with falling backwards?" he asked her.
 
"Get up you idiots," Chichi groaned.
 
"Congratulations on such wonderful news," said Tien, recovering first.
 
"My hopes your whelp… er offspring will grow strong and brave," Raditz said with a small smile as he rose up and kissed Chichi's hand. He had seen this custom over Tomic's scouter when she interrupted a TV feed.
 
"Thank you! You sure you're Goku's brother. You've got much better manners!" she said blushing.
 
"My brother's injury erased his memory of his true heritage," Raditz said. "I'm here to teach him…"
 
"Oh my KAMI you've got a TAIL! Then you MUST be related to him!" Chichi gasped, as his tail unfurled and swished about.
 
Everyone enjoyed the egg drop soup, but when it came to eating with chopsticks it was funny to watch Goku trying to teach Raditz. Most of the food landed in his mane of dark hair, and he grumbled to himself in his native tongue trying to wrap his fingers around the small chopsticks. Finally chichi gave him the pair she used for cooking, more scaled to his size. He finally resorted to shoveling the food into his mouth like his brother did, and letting as much fly from the bowl held up to his face.
 
"Forgive me Sire, but I do see a better way," Raditz thought to himself. They had accepted him like Goku, not asking about his past. Was it too good to be true? If they knew what he was capable of, they'd run screaming in fear.
 
"Hey Radz, you okay?" Krillen asked.
 
"Excuse me?"
 
"It's a nickname. We all have 'em," said Krillen. "Goku's Son-kun, Tienshinhan's Tien, and Yamcha, well we sometimes call him Hyena. Cause he's a scavenger and a fighter."
 
"Very funny. You guys just call me bro," said Yamcha glaring at his friend.
 
"Son-kun?" Raditz glared at him. "Strange."
 
"My grandpa's name," said Goku. "You don't have a family name, do you?"
 
"Raditz, son of Bardock," he said quietly. "We have no need for secondary names. At least where we come from."
 
"You're joking," Chichi laughed. "If you're his' brother you simply would use his name. It's good enough for Goku and me, it's good enough for you."
 
"Oh terrific," Raditz mumbled, knowing he was in too deep. Something attracted him to this small world like gravity to a black hole, and he was sliding over the event horizon. It was so tempting to smash his scouter and make Vegita think he and Tomic were killed. But duty would bring Napa and the Prince to this small world and they'd sell it or worse. Despite their oath not to purge.
 
"You mentioned a Prince," said Goku.
 
"The Saiyan Prince," said Raditz. "He is the last royal, and our last hope. Only he can defeat the usurper and legendary Broly."
 
"And he's 100 times as powerful as you?" asked Goku.
 
"Yes. But there is something that we have overlooked. Something that might give you an edge in battle over Piccolo."
 
"Being?"
 
"I'll show you later. Perhaps the techniques I have shown you will weigh in your favor," said Raditz.
 
"And if not, you'll kick Piccolo's butt, right Radz-kun?" asked Chichi, socking his arm.
 
"Right," Raditz said quietly, feeling his stomach falling to his toes. Something that felt unfamiliar. It was regret, and guilt. A weak emotion that he had all but purged from his system. Now because of Tomic he had learned to feel something else other than arrogant pride. He both hated and loved her for it. All at once his world was gone. Now he'd been given another. Did he dare claim it, or destroy it? Chiaotzu shivered, feeling the conflict in Goku's brother radiating in waves.
 
"There you go, Chi. He's my brother, my older brother," said Goku.
 
"I'm Raditz," said the Saiyan.
 
"What kind of name is THAT?" Chichi asked.
 
"It's a Saiyan name," Raditz blinked. "Your husband was named Kakkarot when he was born."
 
"Sheesh, and Bulma always said Goku's name was funny," chuckled Yamcha, who had recovered from his faint.
 
"Huh, well you two, get up and eat. Can't have you starving now," said Chichi. "And you'd better go and rescue that wife of yours. I'm sure she'd LOVE to trade recipes with me when you have her over for dinner when you get back from wherever it is you're going Goku."
 
Krillen and Yamcha glanced at Goku with a glance that said, "Is she for real?"
 
"She's taking this awfully well, don't you think?" Tien whispered to Chiaotzu.
 
"Goku's softening the blow, Tien," his friend nodded.
 
"I think it's better she didn't know the whole story, don't you?" Krillen whispered to Yamcha.
 
"Uh huh, got that right," Yamcha nodded. "Now, let's dig in!"