Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chances for Bardock's Sons ❯ Brothers farewell for now ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Second Chances for Bardock's Son's
 
 
By Trynia Merin
Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ so please don't' sue me. Tomic and the few other fan characters are my only claim in this. This isn't for money, it's for fan enjoyment.
 
 
Out of her reminiscence Chichi's voice echoed. Tomic almost dropped the pot she carried, clanging it down on the table. Waving her hand before her friend's face Chichi asked, “Are you all right?”
 
“I'm… fine, just hungry,” muttered Tomic, glancing anxiously around the small but neat house. A huge round table was set with many dishes, with a circular lazy susan in the middle waiting for the large dishes of food they carried on trays. Distant laugher and shouts came from the living room where red clad gi figures sat and chattered. Mugs filled with beer and goblets sloshing with wine were held in the hands of the Z warriors clustered on the new sofas and armchairs.
 
“I could use a little HELP here,” Chichi called, cupping her hands around her mouth. She strode out of the kitchen, marching through the dining room to the midst of the laughing fighters.
 
Yamcha elbowed Goku in the ribs, and laughed. “Hey, you'd better listen, or you'll be sleeping on that couch!”
 
Chichi strode up, and glanced at her husband. Putting on a sweet face she said in a firm voice, “I would listen to them, sweetheart. You know you HATE the sofa. It would REALLY put a cramp in your training.”
 
“Okay, okay, I'll help,” he laughed, getting up and setting the mug of beer to one side. “See what you have to look forward too, guys?”
 
“I wouldn't know,” Krillen grumbled, glaring over his glass of wine towards the young scar faced fighter.
 
“Where is Bulma?” asked Chichi, glancing at Yamcha. “Don't tell me you didn't get in touch with her!”
 
“I… I thought Piccolo was supposed to bring her here!” Yamcha stammered as he blinked.
 
“Are you serious? How can you forget your mate to be?” Raditz glared at him. “And you humans say Saiyans are savages!”
 
“How could you forget her, you clod,” Krillen glared at him.
 
“I didn't!” Yamcha snapped. “And I am worried now that you mention it!”
 
“Knowing Bulma, she might have already decided she wanted to leave without an escort,” said Krillen. “You know she hates to be kept waiting, bro!”
 
“Well I'm sure we'll hear from her. Why don't' you call Piccolo?” asked Chichi. “Or is he still a no good…”
 
“I'll call him,” said Yamcha, leaping up. “You guys go ahead and eat dinner.”
 
In a matter of minutes Tomic sat down next to Raditz, still shaking her head free of her first purging. Was it the smell of the food that brought the memories back or something else? She wasn't sure. But Goku and the others settled in quickly, unaware of the mental battle that she had faced. Dishes and platters passed back and forth between the group, quickly divested of their food.
 
Clinking chopsticks on china was interrupted by a cry of surprise from the other room. Setting down his bowl, Goku called out, “Yamcha, what's wrong?”
 
“Bring the phone in here! You know it's got a speaker attachment!” Chichi said.
 
“I didn't want to be rude!” Goku whispered.
 
“Well what is the meaning of that noise, or are you trying to…” Chichi demanded before Yamcha rushed in with the handset in his grip.
 
“Guys, you'd better hear this,” he said. Chichi set down the phone in the middle of the table, and everyone clustered around, still nibbling on their mouthfuls. Goku frowned, dropping his chopsticks at the sound of the erstwhile enemy's voice.
 
“Goku, are you there? This is Piccolo. It's annoying enough I have to use this primitive device,” Piccolo's voice thundered.
 
“What's going on?” asked Goku, speaking a bit more loudly then necessary. Everyone clapped their hands over their ears.
 
“Your friend is not here! My men have been looking everywhere for her. And it seems that one of them was a traitor!” Piccolo snorted.
 
“Where's Bulma?” asked Yamcha. “You said she wasn't there!”
 
“She had escaped without me being informed!” Piccolo's voice clarified. Gasps and murmurs of shock echoed around the dinner table.
 
"She was not there," said Piccolo's voice over the phone. "She must have escaped on her own."

"Damn it… I hope she's okay!" Yamcha gasped.
 
“I've got my men looking for her, but so far they've come up empty handed,” Piccolo announced over the phone.

"We'll help you go look for her," Goku said. "Don't worry!"
Raditz heard something bleeping at the height of his belt. Reaching down he grabbed the folded scouter that was clipped to his armor. Tomic glanced over at him, her eyes full of questions. “What's wrong?” she asked.
 
“You guys okay?” Goku tuned to them, seeing Yamcha standing there in surprise. His dark eyes narrowed suspiciously at the two Saiyans.
 
“Hello? Is that all you wanted to know?” Piccolo's voice echoed from the speakerphone still positioned in the center of the table.
 
“Piccolo, it's Tomic,” said the female saiyan as she leaned over Raditz armored shoulder. “Where was she last seen?”
 
“In the desert. With that bastard Captain Scarlet who I thought I could trust. But he was a traitor and a member of the Red Ribbon Army,” said Piccolo with a grunt. “But that's not…”
 
“Oh shit, you can't be serious…” stammered Yamcha.
 
“Are you sure?” Krillen stammered, spitting out a moutfhul of wine. It doused Raditz with a shower of red droplets.
 
“But that's not the end of the story…” Piccolo trailed off. “Now there's more…”
 
“Oh no,” Goku shuddered.
 
“But you said…” Chichi stammered, moving over and gripping Goku's shoulder tightly.
 
“Now LISTEN TO ME!” Piccolo shouted, interrupting the tense dinner gathering. “That wasn't the LAST place she was seen! Some of my observers saw her at the Tournament! And she seemed perfectly fine!”
 
“How is that possible… you're tellign us that the Red Ribbon army had some goons working for YOU one moment and then…” Yamcha blurted out.
 
“You didn't let me finish, damn it. You humans are so impatient!” Piccolo cursed.
 
“Piccolo, you're saying she's okay?” Goku blinked at the phone, leaning forwards in his chair to stare into the speaker as if he could see the Namekian on the other end.
 
“I'm not sure,” said Piccolo after a moment of silence. “But she's one stubborn woman. Her life force isn't exactly EASY for me to find! And my men confirmed that Captain Scarlet is dead.”
 
“We've got to find her then,” Goku whispered. “If she was okay wouldn't she have tried to call us?”
 
“She might be sulking,” Krillen said with a glare at Yamcha. “She's probably just ticked off and making us worry on purpose for forgetting to come after her! You know how women get…”
 
“What was that?” Chichi glared at him. “IF she had to put up with your insanity I wouldn't BLAME her for dissapearing. If she was at the tournament was she there alone?”
 
“That's just it. My men say that she was with someone else,” said Piccolo.
 
“Who?” Yamcha asked.
 
“They didn't get a good look at him. But he appeared to be a short dark haired human with typical earth garments. And the two of them seemed quite willing to be together. They were watching the matches from the rooftop,” said Piccolo.
 
“And you waited till NOW to tell us this because,” Krillen snapped, banging his fist on the table.
 
“You didn't ask till now,” Piccolo snorted. “Look, I'm not crazy about this alliance. It's making me sick just thinking about having to get along with you all. So are we finished for now? I'm still trying to round up the treasure for your Saiyan friends.”
 
“Piccolo, we can come get it soon. And we can help search for Bulma. If she's at the tournament,” said Tomic.
 
“Who was that guy she was with?” Yamcha demanded.
 
“Don't ask me! Look, I can't help it if you can't control your female, Yamcha! Now shut up and put Tomic on!” said Piccolo.
 
“Don't worry Piccolo, we'll help you look for her” said Goku. “Right Chichi?”
 
“Darn right,” she nodded. “And everyone ELSE is going to help before they get desert, right?”
 
“I think it's better if I went to find her. I know a few places she likes to sulk,” Yamcha said sheepishly.
 
“I'm not even going to ASK what you just went on about,” Krillen groaned. “I think Bulma's the LAST person I'd want to see now if she's ticked off at us.”
 
Raditz said quietly, “If you like Tomic and I could locate her with our scouters.”
 
“Don't worry, Puar and I can find her,” said Yamcha, raising his hand. He pushed himself away from the table, and slid the chair back in.
 
Another loud bleeping split the silence, and Raditz slipped the scouter over one ear. He appeared to be listening intently to something. Chichi glared at him, asking, “What's that? You speaking to someone without letting us know?”
 
“I'm sure it's no big deal,” Goku said. “Raditz… what's up.”
 
“Tomic and I… we've got to get moving. We're due to rendezvous with our team. And we've kept them waiting long enough,” Raditz said. Tomic blinked at him, and saw his look of confusion.
 
“Raditz, what's going on?” asked Yamcha, levelign his gaze at him.
 
“Can I hang up now?” Piccolo's irritated voice cut in. “I'm leaving the treasure for you to pick up only two minles from Mt. Pauzu. Like we agreed.”
 
“That will be fine,” said Tomic. “Raditz…”
 
“Tomic, we must go. The sooner the better,” Raditz said, sliding out from the table. He stood to his full height gleaming black and gold armor suddenly far more intimidating at that moment. Tomic felt his hand encircle her wrist and tug lightly. She stood up, glancing at him with annoyance.
 
“So soon?” asked Chichi. “But you haven't finished…”
 
“Goodbye!” Piccolo grunted. “I assume you two are leaving from what I'm hearing. Good riddance!”
 
“Yes we are,” said Tomic. “Thank you and good luck. I'll be in touch…”
 
“Guys, what are we going to do about Bulma…” Goku scratched his head.
 
“I'll go find her, if you guys have to leave,” said Yamcha. He rushed halfway across the room, grabbing a windbreaker that said Taitans across the back.
 
“You'd better get your armor, love,” said Raditz.
 
“Piccolo took it,” she said with a blush.
 
“Are you sure you two have to leave now?” asked Goku, anxiously glancing back and forth between Yamcha and his other guests.
 
“Yes, Brother,” said Raditz. “But before we leave, I've something for you.”

"Sorry to book, but goodbye you two. Take care of her," said Yamcha as he slapped Raditz on the back. He looked at the tall warrior in gleaming ebony armor. A shiver of dread crept down his spine at their fierceness.
 
“Good luck to you. I hope you find your mate to be,” Raditz said, shaking his hand. Yamcha nodded, exiting the door. Chichi rested her hands on her hips, glancing around the table. Everyone had vacated their chairs and were now pushing them in. Krillen was helping to stack bowls while Tomic walked off after Raditz.
 
“Wait, you can't go without some food!” Chichi said quickly. “Where are you leaving from?”
 
“Piccolo said he was leaving our transport nearby,” said Raditz.
 
“Let's go then. See you off,” said Goku. “Chichi, we'll meet you over there…”
 
“Hey, are these your ships?” came a shout from Yamcha outside.
 
***
 
The group exited the small house, seeing Yamcha pointing with shock towards the small clearing. Between the area cleared for Goku's new house, and the small cabin where he had grown up rested something that shocked them all. Krillen swallowed hard to see the spheres nestled against one another in the shade of the nearby trees. Chichi shook her head, grumbling as she stormed out and glanced at the things cluttering the grassy lawn she'd planted.
 
“That's it,” Tomic said. “When he said near, I didn't think he'd know the exact location!”
 
“You mean he knows where you live goku?” Krillen umbled. “Why am I not happy about that bro?”
 
“Wow, they're a lot smaller then I figured,” Goku scratched his head, walking a half circle around the pods. Raditz strode up and touched the side of one. It hissed open, causing the assemblage to jump back in shock. Something gleamed on one padded seat, dazzlign their eyes.
 
“It's gold… lots of it,” Chichi stammered.
 
“At least one hundred pounds of it, by the look,” said Yamcha with a low whistle. His eyes flickered with the judgement of an erstwhile thief. “Man… Piccolo doesn't mess around!”
 
“We must leave now,” said Raditz. He noticed Tomic had opened her pod, and was grabbing something neatly arranged on her seat. As she removed the breastplate, Chichi saw the expression on her friend's face.
 
“He was as good as his word,” Tomic said, turning it over back and forth.
 
"I hope you guys packed enough food. These two ships don't look very big," Krillen commented.

"Well we sleep on the way there," said Raditz. Suddenly his communicator bleeped. Everyone waited as he excused himself to wander over to a discreet distance. Chichi moved off to dissapear into the house while Goku and Krillen continued to stare at both pods in wonder. Narrowing his eyes he struggled to remember elusive whisps of something dancing just out of his reach. While they were all occupied, Yamcha shot off with Puar in the direction of where Bulma was last seen.
 
“I hope he finds her,” Krillen said, nudging Goku.
 
“What?” he asked.
 
“Yamcha finding Bulma. Though I'd hate to be in HIS shoes when they meet up,” Krillen whispered.
 

"Men," mumbled Chichi as she carried a large wrapped bundle. "Here, I don't know what they eat in outer space but at least take this for lunch!"

"Thank you," said Tomic. Chichi leaned up and kissed her on the cheek. She returned the greeting and stepped back.

"Keep the clothes. That armor's bound to be cold. I should know, I used to wear something like that as a little girl," Chichi grinned.

Raditz returned, with a grim look on his face. "Tomic, we must go now."

"Now?" Goku asked. "But you haven't finished…"

"Brother I must go now. I won't see you for another two years. I do want to leave you with this," said Raditz. He placed a scouter into his hand.

"Where'd this come from?" Goku asked.

"I assembled it from spare parts," Raditz said quietly. "It doesn't sense ki, but it does have a communicator. And you'll know that I'm coming when you hear it signal from time to time."

"All right," Goku nodded, taking the modified scouter carefully. "I guess its goodbye?"

"Yes," Raditz said, inclining his head. Goku held out his hand, and Raditz slowly took it for a firm handshake.

"Thanks. I know this isn't the last time we'll see each other. And when you come back, go ahead and wear this. That armor stuff is awfully hot to fight in," he said tossing a bundle of orange and blue at Raditz. "Chichi says it should fit better."

"I won't need this where I'm going," Raditz said as he looked at the gi. "And the markings are not right."

"That's the family name," Goku said, pointing out the characters for 'Son' on the back patch. "So you remember us back here on Earth."

"Very sentimental and foolish. But I accept your gift in exchange for the scouter," said Raditz. "Now come on precious one, we must leave NOW!"

"Pushy bastard," mumbled Tomic. Raditz moved over and bowed to Chichi. She leaned up and kissed his cheek, then gave him a hug. He blushed and backed away, grabbing Tomic's arm. Goku rushed over and seized Tomic in a bear hug.

"Take care of him, will you?" he whispered. Tomic felt hot tears forming in her eyes to her shame as Raditz dragged her off by her hand. Krillen and the others waved as Tomic and Raditz shouted to their space pods. Tomic climbed into the one half filled with gold, while Raditz bent nearly double to scramble into his. Hatches whirred and enclosed them into the small spaces.
 
***