Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chances for Bardock's Sons ❯ Flashback to Bardock ( Chapter 28 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ. Funimation owns Dragon Ball Z and Toriyama created it. I own any fanfiction characters mentioned otherwise like Chablis, Tomic, Zucchini, and others. This is for entertainment only, not to make money.
 
Vegeta's Celestial Gambit
Flashback: Only a Brief Reunion
A/N: This chapter takes place before Vegeta and Bulma's first time. I only backtrack to explain another plot point in the chapter after this one, what happened with Bardock and his mate and what Bulma did working for them. Bulma and Vegeta will return with more action then.

It was only a few weeks or so after they had escaped Alvegasei with their lives. He supposed he should thank Turles for saving their skins and those of most of his team. What haunted him was the aching silence he felt through nothing of a bond. Then the visions had hit him. A few hours before arriving at Idsarsei 7, Bardock had been reunited with Raditz and Tomic. Before they were actually allowed to discuss what Raditz had discovered, the Prince had to instruct Raditz in what he could reveal to his father. Because the Prince trusted few but a handful of loyal Saiyans, he had insisted Raditz and Tomic not divulge the nature of their mission till they knew what to say.
Till then, Raditz and Tomic had greeted their father with the curtness that most Saiyan warriors allowed in public. They were kept apart from the Science division, although Tomic was allowed to take the earth woman Bulma with her to work on the latest technology.
A week after she started work, Bulma nervously kept to herself in the small lab devoted to Bardock. Split between duty for her prince and her lab assignment she spent the middle parts of the day working with the other scientists. Tomic worked alongside her feverishly to try and continue the frenetic pace demanded by them. Capsule technology had been adapted to Saiyan usage quickly. However Bardock had claimed the credit because nobody would take it seriously if a mere Prince's slave girl was revealed to be the true inventor. Although this irked Bulma, the credit was attributed to Tomic for discovering and making the alien technology available for Saiyan exploitation.
As the ship approached Idsarsei 7, some of the lost surviving Saiyan teams had rendezvoused with Turles space cruiser. It had broken its formation with the Zelbranian lord Zarbon's cruiser and Queen Frosta's space yacht to continue to Idsarsei 7. More and more ragtag Saiyan purging units had flown in their damaged pods with spoils from their last contracts. All spoils had to be catalogued by Turles team of archeologists and scientists to see if they could be sold or used for the Prince's benefit.
"Where's your mate?" Bulma whispered to Tomic, handing her a tool as she fiddled with the newest capsule.
"He accompanied the Prince and Nappa to see Lord Zarbon's ship off. They should be coming back to join the rest of the Saiyan fleet now," said Tomic.
"It must stink being away from him," Bulma whispered.
"Yes," nodded Tomic. "And I know the Prince will be glad that you're in one piece."
"Thanks to you. It's nice to be in a lab and not making a bed," Bulma nodded. She spread the schematics for her storage capsules more completely so Tomic could use the array of tools to finish the demo module.
"I know you hate not being able to make them yourself. It must be killing you to have me do your work while you just hand me tools and specs," Tomic whispered.
"It's not your fault you Saiyans have this paranoia about aliens putting together Saiyan technology. God forbid a slave build a scouter or a Capsule. Never mind I invented the things," Bulma huffed.
"I'm sorry," Tomic nodded.
Just then the door chime dinged, and Bharbera left the lab bench where she was assisting Bardock with another set of Bulma's adapted capsules. They were struggling to increase the dimensional compression following Bulma's cryptic notes. Although she had learned Saiyanese, her writing had a lot to be desired.
"Get that, dear! I still need to figure this mess out before our illustrious Commander brings us more STUFF to decipher."
"It's Mandrake," Bharbera said as she opened the door.
"Sorry to interrupt you, Science Minister Bardock, but a team has just arrived from Cyrina 5 with a whole bunch of unknown devices. Commander Turles wants you to take a look at them."
"As if I had nothing ELSE to do," Bardock muttered.
"Father I'll take the capsules."
"Can't you have Cellulose's' bunch do this?" asked Bardock.
"And pull them from the Regeneration tanks? No sorry sir!" Mandrake quailed.
"Stupid piece of drek," Bardock growled. He marched over and glared at the pieces of machinery in the tray that Mandrake had.
"Utterly ridiculous," muttered Bardock as he glared at the contraption Mandrake had retrieved.
"But Sir, he wants it catalogued before we reach Idsarsei 7!" Mandrake began, but soon stopped when he saw the scowl developing on Bardock's angular face.
"I'm not some damn magician! I'm an energy expert not an inventor!" Bardock cursed. "First the Prince wants these Capsules perfected and the Commander wants his TOYS deciphered."
"Love, don't let him get to you," Bharbera whispered as she moved over to his side and peered over his shoulder.
"You'll have help, I'll speak to Cellulose's team and see if I can get you some backup," Mandrake stammered, stepping back. He rushed to the door as Bardock threw him a nasty look.
"He's not the only one who thinks something's stupid," Bulma muttered in English to Tomic.
Next to her the Saiyan female scientist nodded. "I know, Bulma. But things are different here then on Earth."
"Don't you think I know that?" Bulma whispered fiercely. "And besides, when are we going to Idsarsei anyhow?"
"You two there! Is that latest demon Capsule done?" asked Bardock from his comfortable chair.
"Yes Father," said Tomic.
"Good. Have Bulma finish up. You may leave," Bardock said.
"All right," nodded Tomic. She glanced at Bulma with an unspoken question.
"I'll be okay," she nodded.
"Don't worry girl. You'll see your Prince again soon," Bharbera commented loudly enough for Mandrake to give the earth girl a goofy grin.
"Lucky bastard," Mandrake mouthed to Tomic who glared at him.
"Help, with help that they've given me who needs setbacks!" Bardock grumbled, burying his forehead in his hand. He let himself flop into the nearest chair. Bharbera lowered herself to sit across his lap, sliding her arm around his thickly muscled neck.
"I'm sorry," Bulma started.
"He's not talking about you, Bulma," said Tomic quietly. "Of course he knows you're worth it."
"Listen to your mistress. I didn't mean you, Earth girl," said Bardock. Bulma exhaled her air in one long puff. Seeing the tension rising, Bharbera moved between her mate and his new fourth class slave.
"Want me to help you in a DIFFERENT way?" she purred. Bardock sighed and buried his face in her bosom, and she showered his forehead with kisses. Slowly his tail snaked out from around his waist, wrapping around that of his concubine and mate's. Bharbera moved to straddle his lap, and he held her hips, glad for the distraction. Reaching up he unfastened her armor straps to lift off her breastplate so he could bury his face between the furry mounds of flesh. She let him, moaning softly while he distracted himself.
He would have gone further if the bleeping at the door of his small lab hadn't interrupted them. "Drek," he cursed.
"I'll get it," she offered, quickly retrieving her armor and slipping it on. A green eye winked lasciviously at him indicating they would pick up where they left off later.
Behind the door stood two figures they never thought they would again see. Bardock leapt up and rushed over as Raditz stood t here with a haggard look. "Father," he started.
"You son of a bitch, what the FUCK took you so long!" Bardock cursed, grabbing his son's shoulders and shaking them. He yanked Raditz into the lab. Right behind him was his mate Tomic, who rushed inside after him.
"Father, I apologize the Prince hadn't permitted me to see you directly, but secrecy is the utmost need," Raditz said.
"Raditz!" Tomic breathed, wiping tears from her eyes. "You're all right!"
"But didn't he just leave?" Bulma asked. Bharbera drew Bulma aside as the three Saiyans greeted one another.
"Surely you know the Prince's team still has its own missions to run," Bharbera whispered to her. "You had best be on your best behavior for him."
"Great," Bulma mumbled.
"Damn it boy, you gave us all trouble! Why didn't you take your mate with you to keep your ass out of trouble?" Bardock said as Raditz grabbed his daughter in law and tugged her to him. She felt his crushing hug, and returned it. Raditz lifted Bharbera's hand and kissed it gently as he had seen Turles do. Graciously she inclined her head and realized he had learned some manners. She shut the door and the four of them moved into the living area of the quarters Bardock had been assigned.
Forgotten Bulma blinked and shook her head. Seeing her Tomic turned to her earth friend and charge. "I think we're done here, Bulma. If you like I can have Mandrake escort you back to the Prince's chambers."
"Yes ma'am," Mandrake bowed. Bulma sighed and let Tomic grasp her leash and hand it to the officer.
"I'll be along soon," said Tomic. Bulma swallowed hard and let the young Saiyan male take her to the Prince's quarters.
"I'm sure Mandrake will keep his hands to himself if he knows what's best for him," Tomic glared at Mandrake. Seeing her glare he nodded.
"Sure, I'll protect her. After all the Prince will have me with a Gallyck ho if I damage one of his concubines," muttered Mandrake. Bulma fingered the armband absently.
"How does he know…" she whispered to Tomic.
"The Prince's marked you. I didn't notice that before," Tomic whispered as she fingered the slight scar on Bulma's ear. It was notched with the fine bite of Vegeta's canine teeth, something that most Saiyans would know was a claiming bite. Unlike mates, servants and concubines were marked for Royal usage by the ear bite. On the left it was a sexual nature, on the right a mere servile mark like Tomic, Nappa, and Raditz all had as members of the Prince's elite unit.
"So you saw him?" Bardock asked.
"Commander Turles says we're in proximity to Idsarsei 7. We need to wrap up a few things before we descend," said Raditz quietly.
"Sit down, and I'll get us some food and drink," said Bharbera.
"I'll help," Tomic said. She moved off with her mother in law to the small isolette food preparation alcove. Wearily Raditz looked at his father's haggard features, realizing that he saw Goku there now. It made him swallow hard.
"Yes father. He is your image," whispered Raditz. "And a very powerful warrior despite the adopting of earthling culture."
"Commander Turles says you brokered a deal to save that world. How did you pull THAT off?"
"There was a namekian there who offered plenty of precious metals," said Raditz with a grin.
"Spoken like a true economist. I don't know if I should hit you or thank you. So what did the Prince think of your little enterprise?" Bardock laughed. Bharbera and Tomic brought out trays of fresh meadburry juice and skinned game. They sat on their mate's laps and fed father and son who eagerly devoured the food set before them. Bardock rested in a large comfy armchair while Raditz sat across from him with Tomic on one knee. Bharbera sat crosswise on Bardock's muscular thighs and massaged his brow. Of course she untied the bandanna first.
"Now that I can tell all, he was surprised I was capable of such a thought," Raditz barked, his version of a laugh. He sipped his juice and offered the rest of the goblet to Tomic.
"Hmm I would love to see the look on his face then," Bardock laughed. "A Third Class Purger turned economist!"
"The Prince took his own spoils," said Raditz. "So he's less then unhappy."
"Slaves?" asked Bharbera.
"One slave. An earth girl named Bulma. She is a Princess of Capsule," said Raditz. "And a spitfire."
"Oh no," Bardock groaned. "You mean SHE was the problem that almost blew up the ship?"
"It's all right. Turles has managed to get me to calm her down," Tomic nodded.
A knock sounded at the door, and Tomic rose. She opened it up to see Zuchini standing there nervously. "Commander Turles requests Tomic's presence at a briefing," said she.
"And not me?" she asked.
"He respects that Chief scientist Bardock is being briefed by his son, Sgt. Raditz since the Royal Permission has been obtained," said Zucchini.
"Fine, you can go with him, love. I'll speak later," Raditz said as he nodded that Tomic should go. Bardock nodded and Tomic left.

She nervously strode after the guard. Down the corridors to the ship's command bridge they strode. The large cavernous space had large observation windows. Standing before it a white caped figure whirled around to face the newcomers. Others bustled about, including his crewmen who were Non Saiyan interstellar freebooters.
"Ah, Tomic, you came. Leave us, Private," said Turles smoothly. Tomic inclined her head and strode up to him. Kneeling before him she extended her hand. Turles waited till his guard was dismissed then reached down to pull her up to face him.
"Sir?" Tomic asked.
"No need for such formalities. You know that we are all friends here," Turles said softly, grasping her arm and pulling her to his side. He turned her around to see the huge planet gliding into view.
"Where's this? Another place to plant a Tree?" she asked.
"No, small one," he laughed. "That is Idsarsei 7, the home of our allies. The homeworld of your father's slave now mate Bharbera."
"Why bring me here?"
"To have the privilege of looking upon it first, naturally," Turles said with a note of pride. He slid his arm around her shoulders holding her in place to look. This display of territory showed his men that she had risen in favor and status.
"It's beautiful," she whispered.
"Are you feeling well, today, small one?" Turles asked her.
"I still feel dizzy," she murmured. "But more powerful."
"We should test your newfound strength in a battle drill when we make planetfall," said Turles. "Your Prince of course will land on the planet first. But he's ordered that you remain here with me."
"But what of his concubine… er slave Bulma! I was charged with protecting her," said she.
"She will continue in Bardock's training. The Prince has ordered me to stop in a parking orbit. He'll be using his pods to descend with his bodyguard and chief scientific advisories. But he's asked me to delay joining him for a few days," Turles said.
"What of Raditz?" she asked.
"He will go to escort the Prince to Idsarsei. But the Idsarjin high command has received a few new signals from surviving Saiyan units. We need to continue to round up these last surviving Saiyans and bring them here," said he.
"How did they find them? I thought the Prince had used his abilities?" Tomic asked.
"Simple. Those Saiyans that he could not hear had their brains severely altered by the planets they were supposed to purge. But the inhabitants proved to be far too much. So they are being returned to our 'tender care' " Turles said.
"Why do you need me?" she asked.
"I need someone I can trust," he said.
"Raditz though…"
"I can trust him. But the Prince needs his mind and guidance in Saiyan customs. Bardock however will benefit much from the prince's new acquisition. No, I requested you to accompany on this last scavenging mission. He does not yet know the increase or the reason for your powers to grow," Turles said.
"Are you going to grow more… trees?" she asked.
"Yes. Those planets that think they are doing us a favor will soon know the mistake of defying the Prince of Saiyans. Those that thought they could overpower our teams and mutilate our warriors will pay," Turles laughed.
"Commander, we're in parking orbit," said Corporal Raisin.
"Good. Maintain here," Turles nodded. He then turned to face Private Zucchini standing to the left of the large access hatch to the bridge.
"Sir?" asked Zucchini.
"Inform the Prince we've arrived, and he may disembark when the pods are ready," Turles ordered as he waved his hand.
"It shall be as you command," said Zucchini, dropped to her knee. Turles rested a blue toed boot on her shoulder and she rose to deliver her message. Recently she and Mandrake were message couriers because the Prince wanted absolute secrecy. Electronic communication of specific orders was kept in word of mouth form.
"Sit here," Turles said, reaching for Tomic's hand and leading her to one of the large chairs that sat further up in the observation bridge. Two of Turles mercenary crew that were not Saiyan steered the cruiser as it dropped out of space hyper to 0.5 light. Other stations gleamed with flickering lights, monitored by a Private such as Zucchini or Turles himself. In the middle of the observation deck were two comfortable recliner style commander's chairs for surveying by eyesight alone.
"The first mate sits here," Tomic whispered as Turles gently pushed her down by her shoulder. He pressed a control on his bracelet that emitted a musical chime. A second later the hatch hissed open to admit his slave girl Dextra who carried a small bundle in her arms. Only the flickering lights of the instrument panels and the planetglow from the forward hatch lit the darkness. Eerily it cast Turles in a blue glow safe the blood red of his scouter.
"You are right, Tomic. Only my most trusted crew are allowed on the bridge," said Turles. Flipping his cape over his shoulders he then sat down next to her and folded his hands on his lap to look at the green sphere marked with red continents under orange swirling clouds.
"You mean…" Tomic trailed off.
"Tomic stand up," Turles instructed. Nervously Tomic did so, and Dextra unfastened her armored top.
"What's going on?" she asked.
"Mistress, silence," hushed Dextra. "The commander is promoted you."
"Kneel before me, Tomic," Turles said as he stood up. She swallowed hard as he grasped a set of epaulettes and wristguards and ordered them to be attached to Tomic's black third class armor. Overtop her shoulder was draped a white cape, and she looked up at the Commander's face.
He held a red lensed scouter in his hand, and pulled the green one Raditz had given her off her face to her shock. Fastening the other in its place he said, "Rise First Mate Tomic. Swear that you will serve me well on this mission and you'll be well rewarded."
"As… you wish," Tomic said, and Turles pulled her up to stand.
The hatch hissed open, admitting slave girls Malta and Dextra. The former carried a jug of ylavorian and two goblets along with platters of food. Both of them dropped to their knees before the Commander and he nodded. "Your lunch sir. You requested it be brought as we watch the Prince's departure," Malta said.
"Good. Do give my first mate Tomic a portion. You will obey her orders as you would mine," Turles said. Tomic blushed as Dextra placed the tray on a small levitating platform. Bowing, Dextra backed away and Malta moved to sit on Turles knee and proceed to feed him.
"Sit down First Mate," Turles said. "That's my first order. Dextra will serve you."
"Sir," she muttered. The female slave sat on Tomic's thigh to her surprise, and gently lifted a goblet of wine to her. Blushing, Tomic felt the slight weight of the female slave shift as she broke off pieces of food.
"Enjoy. Only the best food and the sweetest wine for my trusted crew," Turles laughed as he sipped from his goblet.
"And who else is on this crew?" Tomic asked with a shaky voice.
"Yourself, my non Saiyan mercenaries, of which there are five, Tangelo, Mandrake and Zucchini make up the core. Others are support personnel. You will meet them later," he said.
His microcomputer bleeped, and he punched a code on it. Then he touched his scouter. "Yes, over voice?"
"Commander this is a general announcement," said the voice on the other end. "The Prince wishes to express his complements and inform you he is to leave."
"good," said Turles.
In their scouter earpieces Tomic heard the Prince's gruff voice. Speaking of several sentences indicating his royal gratitude and curt inform that they were all in their pods. Then the voice clicked off and Turles motioned to Dextra.
"You are at leave to depart," he said loudly, as he stood. Tomic did as well, watching the forward viewport. Three metallic shapes shot into view, trailing a long white streak behind them. They rounded the terminator of Idsarsei, then vanished to tiny specks. For a moment she heard Raditz reassurance in her mind.
"I'll be waiting, Tomic. Trust Turles as you would me. You will not be separate from me for long," came his voice. Tears formed in Tomic's eyes. She had not realized they would be separated again after having found one another. Once he was satisfied the Prince's pod flotilla had landed, Turles sat down again.
"You wished to know more about our mission?" he said, realizing Tomic was fighting desperately not to cry. With a bit of softness for one who bore his sister's genes Turles changed the subject.
"But who WERE these aliens stronger then Saiyans?" she asked. "I know we already took care of the Mantissans."
"These are the Jhuwelylians," said Turles. "They have a few planets that Queen Frosta wanted purged because they contain vast deposits of Rhinidium. As you know that's a rare mineral that the Changelings use for their primary star cruiser fuel."
"So those teams were sent to purge the planets just to get the minerals?" asked Tomic.
"Indeed. Queen Frosta could care less if they were habitable or not. The Rhinidium poisons the biosphere and makes it most difficult to terraform unless ALL life forms are removed. The cost of that would be far greater then simply extracting the minerals," said Turles.
"So you drain the life, and then…" she asked.
"As you guessed I WILL use my trees as a purging technique for several Mantissan planets not slated for mining," said Turles.
"Terraforming?"
"Yes small one. Years ago, my scientist Minister Khaulif pioneered a way to use the lifeless husk to create whatever environment a customer wishes upon it. Only a few worlds fail to make the specifications. The planet of Argelis was converted to a slave trading planet for Queen Frosta. Although you have consumed some of its fruit there remain a few more."
"I thought that planet was left lifeless," she mumbled.
"It's real estate. And even the worlds I render lifeless which aren't terraformed are raw material for the Empire of the Changelings," said Turles. "So it benefits us both. Though he knows little of the patented process nor does he CARE how it is done."
"Is that why you're so successful?" she asked, waving her arm to indicate the vast bridge.
"I can purge a planet in days that takes even an elite squad months," said Turles. "And all I have to do is wait for the fruit to ripen. Then the artifacts I sell to the museum on Archalis. How do you think I got promoted so fast!"
"So I am no longer on the Prince's squad?" Tomic asked.
"Only for a time. Think of this as a promotion," Turles said with a smile. "But you'll be reunited with the Prince's squad soon, not to worry. In one astral week's time."
"It will seem like forever," Tomic murmured, wiping tears from her eyes and staring ahead. Slowly the ship's engines fired up, moving the craft backward. Then Turles star cruiser blasted out of orbit with a loud rumbling rattle. Tomic grasped the arm of her chair and squeezed her eyes shut to feel the acceleration.