Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Morning After ❯ Gohan Gets His ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
THE MORNING AFTER
By animegrrrl

Ch. 4 - Gohan Gets His

Two years later: Night time.

Yamucha closed the door to his apartment. Puar greeted him enthusiastically. Yamucha laughed a little as the floating cat went to make dinner for him. "Aw Puar, what a girl." His expression soon turned into a frown though, as memories of his latest disastrous date came back to him. Yamucha sighed. "Will I always be alone?" The tired man automatically switched on the answering machine as he plopped down on a sofa seat. He didn't listen to the messages.

BANG! BANG! BANG! Yamucha jerked out of his stupor. He opened the door to find an eighteen year old Gohan. The demi-Saiyan stood there with his head down, face flushed. You could tell he had been crying. "You said I could come to you for anything," he said in a low voice, "that I could talk about it."

"Talk about what?" Gohan gave a choked sob, like he was about to start up again. Yamucha guided the distraught teen in before he could and closed the door quietly, as Puar floated outside. "I'm going to go visit Oolong." the blue cat whispered.

"Thank you." he mouthed over Gohan's shoulder. The older man drew back. "Gohan?" he asked gently. Gohan just stood there in silence, looking for all the world like a broken puppet. "Um..." thought Yamucha, trying to think of a way to make this situation less awkward. He fell back on politeness. "Would you like to sit down?" Gohan glanced at the couch blankly before turning his eyes back down to the floor again. Yamucha blew out air and paced a few steps away, forehead creased in frustration.

"I kissed him."

The older man stilled instantly. Afraid to scare the teen back into silence, he turned around carefully. "What?"

"I kissed him. I had finally worked up the nerve to tell-" Gohan closed his eyes. "To tell Piccolo how I felt. He just stood there staring at me while I spilled my guts! I was desperate. I couldn't take it, I reached out to him and he-" Gohan's face twisted in pain. "He slapped me." Before he knew it Yamucha was holding the sobbing teen in his arms. He managed to drag Gohan over to the couch. Yet the teen, being the depressed and limp lump that he was, slid right off the cushions so that Gohan ended up kneeling on the floor, in between Yamucha's legs. The older man gave up all thoughts of getting Gohan to sit on the couch as the demi-Saiyan buried his face into Yamucha's stomach. The fingers digging into his thighs would've left deep bruises on a normal human. Yamucha was very aware of Gohan's heat with each muffled sob, felt the hot tears coursing down, soaking the already wet shirt. The only thing he could do was hold him close and watch, as Gohan relived the most painful of memories.

*****
"What's wrong with you, I'm a Namek! You're confused, go spend your weak emotions and hormones on your 'female'. Isn't that what you're made for?" Seeing how devastated his former student was, the Namek relented, just a little. "Gohan," he said softly, "I've always thought of you as a son. I can't see you as anything else." Piccolo started to walk away from him into the night. "Go back to your female. It's where you belong."

The back of Piccolo's white cape was the last thing Gohan saw.
*****

"Piccolo, of all people..." Yamucha thought, as he held onto the brokenhearted teen. "Hmph, he should be jumping for joy. Who wouldn't, if Gohan loved them. After all, Gohan is so nice and intelligent," here he stroked Gohan's thick black hair, and noted how he had filled out in the last two years "and strong and loyal, and good, and good looking..." Yamucha took a closer inspection. Even in this state of tear-stained wreckage the teen looked, well, pettable. "Damned good looking." Yamucha shook his head clear of the temptation and forced himself to speak. "I'm so sorry Gohan. Are you ever going to see him again?"

Gohan looked up sharply in surprise, as if the thought had never occurred to him. "Of course! I mean- oh." The full import of Yamucha's question fell upon him, realizing that this might have pushed their friendship too far, ruining it forever. The demi-Saiyan spoke quietly. "I don't know."

"Do you have any plans? What are you going to do?"

"Ha!" barked Gohan, startling Yamucha with his strange reaction. "What am I going to do?" he said with a bitter twist to his lips, "I'm going to propose to Videl tomorrow night."

"What!" gasped Yamucha. "Are you sure? Why?"

"Because I love her."

Yamucha gave him a look that said "Ok, and you're full of bulllshit."

Gohan ducked his head and flushed. "No, I really do care about her. It's just that- Oh, if I could've just had him..."

"Shh."

Gohan cried for a long time, and eventually tired himself out. Yamucha watched awhile as Gohan's fitful sobs calmed into the slower, regular rhythm of sleep. Cradling Gohan protectively in his arms, he then picked up the exhausted teen and deposited him on his own bed. He looked like a wounded angel lying there, with that pale skin contrasting against his dark hair, and a look of sorrow expressed even in sleep. You could still follow the path of Gohan's tears, as they had left a salt trail that squeezed out of the corner of thick lashes, down flushed cheeks, and past his slightly open lips. Those tear-swollen, soft and kissable lips...

"Damn it, Yamucha!" Gohan started to stir, and the chagrined man realized he had scolded himself out loud. Gohan's lids fluttered open and dark pools looked up questionly. "You're in my bed." Yamucha couldn't resist, he put a tender hand on the teen's forehead and smiled. "Get a good night's sleep, ok?" Gohan Gohan watched as Yamucha took off his shoes, first the left then the right, much like an adult putting a tired child to bed. Gohan was moved, though it made him feel a bit like a little kid.

The demi-Saiyan grabbed the older man's hands in his own. "Yamucha, thank you." Slowly Gohan brought their hands up to press against the side of his cheek. Staring directly into Yamucha's eyes, he lowered his head and reverently kissed the scarred man's palm. Yamucha gasped and pulled out of his grasp.

"No problem." muttered a flustered Yamucha while quickly exiting the room.

"Wait! Don't go." The former desert bandit turned around. A pale hand slid down a pale chest, and idly played with the top button Of Gohan's uniform. It was coyly undone. "Yamucha." the demi-Saiyan breathed, "Make love to me."

"Gohan! I can't do that."

Gohan's face shut down. "I've made a terrible mistake." The humiliated teenager stood up. Yamucha caught his hand. "Gohan, it's not that you're not unattractive. It just wouldn't be right."

"Why not! I'm 18!"

"Ok," Yamucha said jokingly, "I wouldn't get arrested. Still..."

Gohan ducked his head. "You don't want me."

"It's not that. Gohan, why would want to do this, with me."

The demi-Saiyan came closer, so that they were standing, face to face. "I would like to know what it would be like just this once to make love to a man, before I- I-" Gohan swallowed and slid his hand into Yamucha's. "I trust you."

Yamucha's heart swelled. He became determined to make sweet and tender love to this boy- No, man. Yamucha embraced the vulnerable youth and murmured his name gently. "Gohan."

"Um, just to let you know." the embarrassed youth said against Yamucha's neck, "You're gonna have to tell me what to do, um, cuz I'm a, fsvmumble..."

Yamucha leaned back to look Gohan in the face. "What?"

Gohan blushed and quietly whispered. "I'm a virgin."

The older man felt instant regret and responsibility. "Oh great." he muttered to himself. He gripped the demi-Saiyan's shoulders and looked directly into those earnest black eyes. "Are you sure you want this?" For his response Gohan leaned into Yamucha for a kiss.

It was only natural for Yamucha to respond in kind.

*****
The first thing that he noticed was that he was sore- in several places. The second was that he had wakened alone. Yamucha groaned with the effort of rolling out of bed. "So that's what it's like to be with a Saiyan." he thought, rubbing his sore rump. The rumpled white sheets clung to him and made him stumble. He kicked off the last of the material clinging to his leg and switched the radio by his bedside on. "Hit and run." he thought as he blearily staggered into the bathroom. "Used yet again." Yet somehow, this time, Yamucha didn't mind. You couldn't hold a grudge against Gohan anymore than you could the father. "And he was so sensitive, downright edible... Kami, the noises he would make..." Yamucha leaned his feverish self against the cool bathroom mirror. "I thought I was going to have to lead him by the hand... Haha, guess not." One, two, the fog of Yamucha's breath formed and reformed against the mirror. Leaning up like this, in the stillness of his apartment, he almost fell asleep again when the melodic strains of the radio caught his attention. The smooth lyrics slowly
registered upon his awakening brain.

Yamucha smiled. They were talking about Gohan.

"to know you, is to love you..."

"to love you, is to be loved by you..."

FINI

A/N: Thank goodness, I'm finally finished. Started in 2002, finished in 2006, looks like I managed to put out one chapter per year. Sad, huh? I thought w/me not being deployed anymore I'd finally get around to putting out more stuff. But now I work two jobs and also go to college full-time. All my energy and creativity is being sucked away. :( Please review this story and let me know how you felt about the end. What it comforting? Did it end lightly for you? Do you still love Gohan? Do you feel bad for Yamucha? I meant to end this story lightly, but my thoughts have turned dark. Personally, I think I've grown to hate Gohan a little bit. It's ironic, but after I've already written this story, a similar situation happened to me, where I was Yamucha. Like Gohan, this person has so much potential, and like Gohan, it's buried by low self confidence, crippled by not knowing what the hell he wants, and making bad decisions b/c he does shit just to please people instead of doing what is best for himself. No one's really made happy by that type of behavior. And I've come to admire Piccolo even more. Because he wouldn't compromise like that. He has the strength of character to be by himself, to withstand the loneliness, rather than just get into a relationship b/c you're being pressured... He's honest and wouldn't pretend. He doesn't use anybody to satisfy his own selfish emotions, unlike Gohan.

You still love Gohan, don't you? Me too. But I think I respect him a little less.

Second Author's Note: If I ever get around to it, I have another story in this universe titled, "Living With Death". Yamucha is the main character. He develops a bad case of AIDS from, well, living the life he did. Come watch a dying man confront his former lovers, hear a dying man contemplate how he should've lived his life, see a dying man finally realize that the love of his life was in front of him the entire time. Bulma, Vegeta, and Puar play very large parts. Which one does he end up with?