Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Truth ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Sue me. I just don't care anymore.
A/N: I fully intended chapter five to be the end of The Truth, but so many people requested I continue the story, that I felt compelled to include one last chapter. I hope you all enjoy.
Trunks stood still, and took a deep breath, looking up at the sky. Smiling, he thought of how much more comfortable these clothes were compared to the jumpsuit he was accustomed to donning, but as nice as the clothes were, the taste, sight, and smell of freedom were better. Even the sky seemed bluer from this side of the gate.
He had been offered transportation to his destination, by the correctional facility, but had declined. Who needs a car when you can fly? At least he hoped he could still. Besides, he had no idea where he wanted to go, only that he wanted to be with Garter, his wonderful little girl.
She had visited him numerous times after their initial encounter, each one reaffirming the conclusion he had drawn during her infancy. She was perfect. Now that he was free to be with her, he could not ask for more.
Lowering his gaze from the clouds, Trunks began walking toward a building, planning to use it to hide his ascent from prying eyes inside the compound he had just exited.
He could have left years ago. Trunks knew this. No prison on Earth, or anywhere else he knew of for that matter, could contain a Super Saiyan. Not that he was all that super, not anymore.
A car horn jarred Trunks from his reminisces, as he turned to see a black sedan some yards away with a young woman standing at the door, smiling and waving at him, with one had remaining in the car, on the horn.
Trunks smiled in recognition. It was his beautiful baby girl. Dang, he'd have to stop thinking of her like that. It was a grown woman, not a child, who now walked and hugged him.
"I told you I'd be here," Garter beamed.
Nodding, Trunks answered, "Yes, I know."
"So, what's it like to be free again? Where do you want to go? What do you want to do first?" She bombarded him with questions.
Trunks chuckled at the girl's enthusiasm. She came by it honestly, on both sides of the family. "I haven't been free long enough to tell you, and honestly, the only thing I want to do is go home, take a nap and then eat some real food."
"Sure thing, Dad." She had taken to calling him "Dad" so easily. It was almost effortless. Aside from the fact that they had yet to fight, there really weren't any tell tale signs of the separation.
Putting his arm around Garter's shoulders and turning toward the car, Trunks was surprised to find another person standing nervously to the side.
Squinting against the bright sunlight, Trunks called out, "Goten?"
Goten grinned weakly and took a few steps toward Trunks, who was now standing directly in front of him. "Uh, hi Trunks," he managed feebly.
Trunks's smile widened as he quickly embraced his childhood best friend. "Goten!" Trunks let go and peered at a hesitant grin. "I'm glad you're here, Goten. It's been a long time."
Nodding, Goten agreed. "Yes, it has. Too long."
"I agree." Trunks and Goten stood looking at one another awkwardly, both pondering if they should be the one to apologize first.
Noticing their discomfort, Garter piped up, "I don't know about you two, but I'm hot, hungry, and ready to go. I'm sure Dad's ready to get away from here, too. That leaves you Uncle Goten. Are you going to stand there all day, or get in the car?"
Goten grinned. "C'mon, Trunks. Let's go." He climbed into the backseat of the car as Garter climbed behind the wheel.
Trunks turned back toward his place of confinement. He had thought he would die in there. In a sense, he had, but he had then been revived by someone with much more power over him than Shenlong.
"Dad, are you ready?" Garter started the engine.
Trunks sat in the seat, closed the door, fastened his seatbelt, and leaned against the back of the seat. "Yes, I am."
The drive to Garter's house was eerily silent, and graciously short. Upon arrival, Garter had given Trunks the grand tour; having to beat Goten away from the "Welcome Home" cake she had baked for her father once they entered the kitchen. Even now, in his late forties, Goten still acted like a big kid, and nothing brought this to the surface more than sugar.
Trunks smiled as Garter defended the cake, playfully slapping Goten's hands with a wooden spoon as he tried to out maneuver her. Finally, Goten seemed to give up, at least for the moment, and Garter crossed her arms under her breasts, watching suspiciously, spoon still in hand. Trunks just shook his head at how much she reminded him of his father, and at how little things seemed to have changed while he was away. That saying must be true, "It seems the more things change, the more they stay the same."
"C'mon, Trunks. Tell her you're ready to eat the cake now," Goten called from across the room. "I'm starving!"
"Okay, Goten," Trunks laughed. "Why don't you cut the cake now, Garter? Otherwise you'll be fighting him off it for the rest of the day."
Garter glared at Goten, bringing memories of the many glares he had received over the years to the front of Trunks's mind. "Not if I kick him out," Garter countered Trunks as she turn to begin cutting the cake for her guests.
"You wouldn't kick your poor, old Uncle Goten out. Would you?" Goten couldn't help teasing.
"The heck I wouldn't." Garter turned around with a rather large slice of cake. "Here, Dad. This one's yours."
Smiling, Trunks accepted the cake graciously, and when Garter turned her back, he stuck his tongue out at Goten, playfully. Goten, of course, responded by acting extremely hurt.
"The stranger before your cool uncle? What's that all about?" Garter rolled her eyes in response and shoved a piece of cake on a plate into his hands before sitting at the table to eat. Trunks and Goten joined her.
Just then the phone rang and Garter jumped to answer it. After a few moments, it was clear the call was from work. As she hung up the phone, she sighed. "That was my editor. Seems there's something big going on across town and I should be there, five minutes ago." She grabbed her purse and keys from the counter. "Now you two behave while I'm gone," she chided, stepping from the kitchen. A moment later, a car door and engine were heard as she left.
"Does that happen often?" Trunks asked, breaking the uncomfortable silence.
Goten nodded. "She's been a lot busier since doing that article about you."
"Oh," Trunks responded as his cake crumbs became ever more interesting.
Goten also became suddenly aware of the allure crumbs have, as they sat in an uncomfortable since, once again. Finally, Goten looked at Trunks and sighed, gathering his courage.
"I'm sorry, Trunks."
Trunks's gaze shifted from his plate to his friend. "What for Goten? You haven't done anything to be sorry for."
Goten shook his head in disgrace. "Yes, I have. I should have been there, Trunks. We were best friends, and at the first sign of trouble, I abandoned you. It wouldn't have killed me to visit you every now an then, but I was afraid you wouldn't want to see me. I was hesitant about coming today, but Garter talked me into it."
Trunks just looked at Goten for a moment without uttering a word before shaking his head sadly. "This has been bothering you for years. Hasn't it?"
Looking down, Goten nodded his confirmation.
"There's nothing to forgive. It's all in the past, my old life. Now that I'm out, I just want to move on. Let bygones be bygones so to speak," Trunks explained.
Looking back at Trunks, Goten smiled hesitantly. "Really?"
"Yes."
"Thank you," Goten said. A smile spread across his face and he stood, taking the plates to the sink. "I'm sure when Garter gets back, you'll want some time alone. I think I'm going to head home."
Trunks stood. "Well, okay Goten, if that's what you want." Goten smiled and nodded before hugging Trunks good-bye and leaving.
Trunks sighed as the all too familiar feeling of loneliness overtook him. Shaking it off, he proceeded to the living room where he spied a recliner, which might be useful in his search for some rest and relaxation.
Laying back, propping his feet up, Trunks soon fell asleep. A while later, he awoke to a knocking at the door. After realizing he must still be alone, Trunks walked to the door and opened it.
The visitor stood there, looking at her feet, obviously nervous.
"Hi. Can I help you?" Trunks asked, causing her to gasp and look at him.
"Trunks?" she asked. He nodded and she quickly wrapped her arms around his neck in a needy embrace. "I figured you would be here, but I didn't expect you to answer the door." There were tears in her eyes.
Trunks returned the hug and as he let go, he asked, "Would you like to come in, Pan?"
Pan nodded, wiped her tears, and stepped past him into the house, taking a seat on the couch. Trunks closed the door and walked over to sit by her. They sat in silence.
Finally, Trunks broke the silence, his voice sounding odd in the quiet. "How have you been?"
Looking at him bashfully, Pan answered. "I've been okay, I guess. Just life."
"What about college? Did you ever go?"
She nodded. "Yeah, Mom and Dad saw to that."
"How are they?"
"Pretty good. Dad's looking forward to retiring soon. I think he plans to write a book about everything that happened with the group, an autobiography of sorts."
Trunks smiled. "That's good. Tell him I wish him luck."
"I'll do that." Once again, they grew silent, opting the silence over their frugal and futile attempts at a conversation, as they stared at their respective feet.
After a few minutes of foot gazing and thumb twiddling, Trunks placed his hand on Pan's knee, causing her to look at him, and spoke. "Pan, I'm sorry about everything that happened. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. At least that way I would have been there. I- I just don't now how much good it would have done."
"Trunks, it's not all your fault. We got ourselves into this mess, together. You aren't anymore at fault than I am. Besides, you did what you felt was right, and I forgave you a long time ago. It's over now." She smiled encouragingly at Trunks.
Trunks returned the smile. "Thank you. That means a lot."
"I know." Pan sat, looking at Trunks for another moment before standing. "I think I should probably head back home. Kin's waiting on me." She smiled as Trunks also rose to his feet. "I told him I was going to the store to pick up some flour, but I think he knows where I went."
Trunks nodded his understanding. "Is he your husband?"
Looking down, Pan answered. "Yes."
"Do you love him?"
Pan nodded her head, not daring to raise her head to look in his eyes, or trusting her voice to respond.
Trunks smiled warmly at her, placing his hand on her shoulder. "Well, that's what matters, as long as you're happy."
Pan looked up, a bit surprised. "Yeah, I guess it is." She lowered her gaze again and then walked around Trunks to the door with him following. As she opened it, she turned around to face him. "It really was nice to see you again. I know Garter's excited about everything. I sometimes wonder what other family members have told her about you, especially your family."
"How are they?" Trunks asked.
She sighed. "They're your family, insane as ever, but all right. I heard about the huge fight you had right before you left and about how they disowned you. I think you should go see them. Give them another chance. I know they regret it and love you dearly. I don't think either of your parents ever forgave themselves for the way they treated you."
Nodding his response, Trunks held the door open and took a step closer to Pan. "I know you've moved on, and as long as you're happy, I'm happy, but how about a quick good-bye kiss for old times sake?"
With a quivering chin, Pan looked into his eyes and nodded before wrapping her arms around his neck and pressing her lips to his. She broke their kiss and burying her face in his chest, hugged him tightly.
"You were my first," she spoke softly. "That means a lot to me. My first love." She looked in his eyes. "I'll always love you, but I have to go now."
Trunks nodded. "I love you too, and if you must leave, go ahead. I'll be okay." He smiled. "I'm a big boy."
Pan smiled, then quickly let go of Trunks and walked to her parked vehicle and left without looking back.
After watching her disappear from his sight, Trunks sighed, ran a hand through his hair, and closed the door before returning to his recliner, bringing his thoughts with him, keeping him company until Garter came home and they turned in for bed.
The clock read three forty-five, as Trunks lay in bed awake with his thoughts, wishing he could sleep. Finally giving up, he climbed out of bed and walked down the hall toward the kitchen in hopes of a glass of water helping his predicament. Passing Garter's door on his way back, he froze and watched her for a moment before entering.
The moon's light fell on her face and hair, giving them an ethereal glow as she slept, breathing slowly and deeply. Trunks just watched her, wondering how his child turned out so beautiful. The realization hit him that his was his first time to watch his child sleep. Everything was perfect.
A smile crept onto Trunks's face. This was what he had to look forward to now. This was what it was like to be a father. He certainly had missed a lot, had years of memories to catch up on. Trunks decided he might as well start on them as soon as possible, starting tomorrow morning of course.
He quickly knelt beside the bed, kissed her forehead, pulled the covers up a little to cover her, and went back to his room where he crawled into bed to dream more of the future. It certainly was nice to be free and have a future.
Trunks fell asleep smiling. Tomorrow is a new day with new opportunities, and new loves. And he couldn't wait...
A/N: Okay, now that is THE end. No more. My story is finished! It's over! There will be no more! Okay, there could be more if I had like thirty people ask for more, but since that's not going to happen, this is the end. Is it possible for me to overemphasis that point? Oh well. Since you've now read my story, I wish to say thank you and I now ask that you kindly leave a review. Thank you and have a nice day. Buh-bye!
A/N2: When I completed my most recent edit of this story, I decided to address the issue of Trunks going to jail. I know in Japan it ispermissible for older men to become sexually involvedwith teenaged girls. I went ahead and wrote this story according to Texas State laws because never in the entire series does it state any major city is in Japan or any other part of the world as we now know it. I used this loophole to construct my story. As long as it turned into a good read, that's all that matters to me. Peace and Out!