Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ True Love Never Dies ❯ Discovery ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I had that reoccurring dream again where I somehow bought the rights to Dragonball Z. Then, I awoke. Such is life.
A/N: I am so happy to see this story getting great feedback from my reviewers. You guys are totally awesome. I am so sorry about how long this chapter took to post. I was running late because of a major inconsistency between this one and the next. I did however, reconcile the differences and the story should continue beyond this point without a hitch. So, I hope you enjoy!
True Love Never Dies
Chapter 4: Discovery
Several minutes passed in complete silence as Gohan tried his best to digest the information he had just been given. Videl? After all these years? If she was going to call, what took so long? After all the time which had passed, he had given up hope completely on ever finding her again. Could this really be happening? Surely, he must be dreaming again.
“Gohan? Are you still there?” Videl finally broke the silence, a deep concern in her voice.
“Yes, I'm still here,” Gohan finally managed through all the memories flooding to the front of his mind as if over the years it had built a dam to keep just such an event from happening, and now simply hearing her voice had destroyed that dam, which had taken so long to complete, allowing every memory and emotion to flood back to him without even the slightest warning.
“Are you okay? I mean, you're awfully quiet,” Videl pressed.
“I'm fine,” Gohan sighed, breaking the tension within himself. “I figure it is safe to assume you didn't wait all these years to give me a call out of the blue without a reason. Is everything okay? Are you okay?”
“Everything is under control,” Videl assured him. “In fact, the reason I called is: I am moving back to Satan City, and I decided to call my best friend to see how he's doing. So, how are you doing?”
“Well. Though, honestly, I'm not sure exactly what to say.” Gohan nervously ran a hand through his unruly hair. “This call was more than a little unexpected.”
“Yeah, I know. Sorry about surprising you like this.”
“It's okay,” Gohan could not help the smile which came to his face before another question came to his mind. “So, after all these years, why are you moving back to Satan City?”
“I guess you wouldn't believe me if I told you it was simply because I missed the slower pace of Satan City and of course, the friends.”
“As flattering as it is, no. I can't believe that is all there is to it.” Gohan shook his head instinctively.
“You are the first person I've called, the first person I have told anything. But I suppose you deserve to know what's going on.” Videl took a deep breath to calm her nerves. “The reason I'm moving back is medical. I simply can't keep up with work or much of anything at the moment. I need somewhere that I can settle back and take care of myself without having to worry about the rat race.”
“Medical?” Gohan mused aloud. “What kind of medical are you talking about? What's going on Videl?”
“Gohan,” Videl took a deep breath before continuing, “I have cancer. I am coming back to Satan City to relieve some of the stress while I receive treatments.”
“I see,” was all Gohan was able to manage between all his racing thoughts. “Are you going to be okay? I mean, what have the doctors said?”
“Honestly, no one is sure right now. I'm just playing it by ear.”
“I see,” Gohan repeated his phrase, taking another moment to compose himself.
“Gohan?” Videl attempted to break the ice. “There is one more thing I should probably let you know.”
“What else? Did you marry Sharpener?” Gohan could not keep the sarcasm from his voice even while his curiosity was piqued.
Videl gave a chuckle at Gohan's attempt at lightening the mood. “No, but Gohan, I want you to know I never forgot about you or our graduation day. Those memories have always filled me with happiness and reminded me of a time when I knew I belonged. They have always helped when things were difficult.” Videl paused, after having ignored Gohan's venting, and took a deep breath. “My reasons for going on back then were helping others and you. Now, things are a little different. I have one priority above either helping others or my own happiness. The reason I was never able to bring myself to return.”
After giving Videl a moment to continue her explanation, Gohan finally asked, ”And what was that reason?” not entirely sure he was ready to know the answer.
“My daughter,” Videl finally answered as Gohan felt his heart shatter. Against all hope, all sanity, some part of him had always hoped their old high school romance would one day be rekindled into a more mature, profound love for which he had always longed.
“Your-…daughter?” Gohan finally managed to stutter as his mind raced to process everything he had learned since answering this strange, surprise call.
“Our daughter, actually,” Videl explained simply. “Your daughter's name is Pan,” were the last words Gohan heard before he awoke on the floor with a splitting headache, wondering if the call had simply been a dream until his eyes fell on the telephone receiver, hanging by its cord and making its “off the hook” sound.
Dragging himself from the blue carpet of his office floor, Gohan replaced the headset into its cradle before heading to take a hot shower and process everything that had happened, the yard work not even a distant memory.
A/N: Yes, another short chapter. At least this one did not have an evil cliffhanger at the end. Lol. I hope you guys and gals still love me! Anyway, please review and let me know your thoughts thus far! Peace and Out!