Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ True Love Never Dies ❯ Hello ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

True Love Never Dies
Chapter 5: Hello
Gohan paused momentarily in his pacing to glance at his watch for the thousandth time. According to the LCD board above the entrance to the terminals, the flight should be on the ground at any moment. Instead of continuing in his attempt to wear a hole in the floor, Gohan took a seat where he could watch the entrance and nervously ran a hand through his spiky hair.
As he sat, nervously waiting, Gohan's mind wandered away, only to be brought sharply back to the present by a familiar voice.
"Gohan? Is that you?" a thin, fragile woman about his age asked from the corner of Gohan's vision. Turning, he noticed she was dressed in a pale, purple pant suit that seemed much too big for her current size as she stood, holding the handle of a large bag on wheels.
"Videl?" Gohan questioned, rising to his feet. "Is that really you?"
The woman smiled and nodded. "In the flesh."
Gohan could not help smiling. "It's wonderful to see you. It has been far too long."
"I agree," Videl nodded. "Oh!" she quickly turned to indicate to a girl standing beside and slightly behind her. "Gohan, this is Pan. Pan, this is your father my dear friend, Gohan Son."
Shifting his gaze, Gohan gave a warm smile as he took in the sight of his beautiful little girl who had remained a mystery to him for all nine years of her life, "Hello, Pan. How are you?"
With an indifferent shrug, Pan replied, "Okay."
"That's good." Gohan spared her another look before turning back to Videl, noticing, not for the first time, the dark circles beneath her eyes. "What do you say, I take you ladies on home?"
"Sounds good," Videl answered, gratefully. "We'll have plenty of time to see the city tomorrow."
Gohan gave a nod. "Exactly. Here, let me have your bags." He picked up their luggage with ease. "Follow me to the car." He gave a huge grin and began leading them toward his vehicle which would take them to their new home, together.
**Scene Change**
"Well, here you go. Welcome home," Gohan smiled as he opened the front door and allowed Videl and Pan to enter before himself.
"It's a nice place," Videl commented as she stepped inside, taking in the Spartan home.
"Thanks. Please excuse the computer mess in the corner. I pulled it all out of my office and made Pan a room," Gohan explained as he carefully lowered the ladies' luggage to the floor.
"You didn't have to go to so much trouble," Videl fussed as she turned to face her high school sweetheart.
Gohan simply gave a shrug. "It wasn't any trouble. I had the extra room. Besides, these bedrooms are too small to share. So, I made sure you each had your own."
With a smile, Videl commented, "It's huge compared to the apartments in East City. Yet another reason I'm glad to be back in Orange City."
"Well, I'm glad that you're glad to be back." Gohan stood uncomfortably for a moment. "If you go down the hall, the first door is Pan's room and the one on the end is yours, Videl. Do you need anything else before I start supper?"
"No," Videl shook her head. "You've done too much all ready. But, supper does sound good. What do you think, Pan?"
A stomach growl was sufficient response from the girl as her parents chuckled before each headed their separate ways.
**Scene Change**
"And then, he turns bright red and tires to stammer through an explanation for being late to class while I'm ready to kill the next person who looks at me wrong after being lost by The Great Saiyaman," Videl laughed with her old friend and daughter. "You know, you should have just come clean to begin with. I was too determined to discover your identity to be fooled for long."
"Yeah, I know." Gohan took another drink of water. "But, I didn't know you, and after Cell and the other horrible events in my life, I just wanted to be normal for a change. I never wanted the fame and fortune or loss of privacy Hercule got after everyone gave him credit for killing Cell."
Videl nodded her head. "I understand that, now. But back then, all I knew was that costumed freak was always in my way and you just happened to be nearby for me to take it out on." With a sigh, she wiped her hands and leaned back from the table. "The food was wonderful." She smiled politely.
"You are certainly welcome," Gohan smiled in reply. "Live as a bachelor long enough and you eventually do learn to take care of yourself, especially with my mother."
A nod was sufficient to say Videl well remembered the woman who had called her a "hussy" early in Gohan's and her relationship. As she stretched, she caught sight of her watch. "Now that you've had your dinner, it's time for bed," she spoke to their daughter.
After sparing both her parents a questioning glance, Pan nodded. "Okay, Mom. Good night." She rose and gave her mother an affectionate hug before waving at her father. "Good night, Gohan," she spoke quickly before just as quickly scurrying off to her new bedroom.
"I'll understand if you want to go ahead to bed, too," Gohan commented after again noticing the dark bags under Videl's eyes and the ghastly pallor of her skin. "I can clean up. You've had a long day."
Videl gave Gohan a soft smile and shook her head. "No, that's all right. I'm not quite ready to sleep yet. I have a lot on my mind."
"Oh," Gohan frowned briefly in concern. "Well, you should at least go into the living room. It's a lot more comfortable in there."
With a gracious smile, Videl gave a nod. "That does sound like a good idea." She rose to her feet and with Gohan beside her, moved to the couch in the living room where she sat with a contented sigh.
"Can I get you anything? A soda? Coffee? Tea?" Gohan offered as his mother had taught him so many years prior.
"Tea sounds wonderful," she smiled at her gracious host's eagerness to put her at ease in what was a very awkward situation for them both.
"Coming right up!" Gohan smiled as he headed back to the kitchen and started a pot of green tea. As he dug through the cabinet for tea cups, the demi-Saiyan paused and shook his head. "What am doing?" He glanced toward the kitchen door. "After all these years. Ten years and not even a birthday card..." Gohan sighed heavily as he leaned his weight against the counter. "And now, not only is Videl in the other room, but our daughter is sleeping down the hall. How did it come to this?"
The whistling tea kettle brought Gohan from his musing. After turning off the oven, he quickly made two cups of tea and joined Videl in the living room, taking a seat at the opposite end of his couch and handing Videl her cup of tea, offering a simple, "You're welcome," to her "Thanks".
As the two sat sipping their respective cups of tea, an uncomfortable silence settled around them. Finally, Gohan took a deep breath and spoke, breaking some of the tension felt thickly in the air. "So, how are things going, other than getting back in touch, moving and Pan?"
"Honestly," Videl began, "things have been better."
"Oh?" Gohan questioned. "Well, that-...stinks." He frowned slightly, unsure how to approach some of the questions gnawing at the back of his mind. "So, what did you decide to study in college after you moved?"
"Well, I chose criminal justice," Videl answered. "And, I managed to graduate first in my class. It wasn't easy with Pan, but with Dad's help, I managed.
"Then, right out of college, I was hired as a peace officer in East City."
"Wow," Gohan smiled. "That sounds pretty exciting compared to my relying on scholarships to get my PhD in Education with an emphasis on history. Then, I got a job teaching at Satan City University, formerly known as Satan City Community College."
Videl chuckled lightly. "I'll bet you have your own office."
Gohan nodded, unable to hold back a chuckle of his own. "Yeah, it's small, but at least it has a window.
"What about you? Do you have your own office?" Gohan asked as he pushed his thickly rimmed glasses up the bridge of his nose.
A shake of her head was Videl's first reaction. "No. I climbed the ranks quickly, but I refused to let them promote me past Lieutenant." She gave an idle shrug. "Another rank would have meant more money, but my heart is in the field. So, I turned the promotion down every time it came up."
"I think I know what you mean." Gohan finished the last of his tea and set the cup aside. "I know it probably doesn't mean much, being two years late and all, but I was really sorry to hear about your dad. I remember what it was like all those years when Father was dead, or missing." Gohan recalled how his father had somehow seemed to miss more of his boys' childhoods than not with no one ever knowing when Goku might return or even if he would. Somehow, Chi-Chi always maintained hope.
Videl nodded sympathetically and gently rested her hand on Gohan's, looking deeply into his eyes. "I know what you mean and thank you. But then again, we're all dying. It's simply a matter of time. Just some of us, especially the human among us, will die a lot sooner, Gohan."
Somehow, no matter how hard he tried, Gohan could not keep a frown from his face. "Please, don't talk like that. Remaining optimistic is always half the fight." He forced that famous Son-smile for emphasis.
Gohan received reply in the form of a brave-looking smile on Videl's face, which he had to admit looked more than a little awkward below her sallow cheeks, dark, sunken and languid eyes and dull, thin hair. "I have a little more to tell you, Gohan," she started. "When I told you I was coming for treatment, it was mostly for Pan's sake." She smiled as she thought of her daughter - their daughter. "I know all about a Saiyan's hearing through their apartment walls. And, I know I should have told you before coming here and burdening you, but I just couldn't seem to tell you over the phone either. It didn't seem right."
With Videl's discomfort obvious, Gohan shook his head. "No, Videl. It's no problem. I'm happy you're here. But, I would like to know what else is bothering you." His protective nature began to show through his normally calm visage.
"I came here so you could meet Pan. She needs to know that even without Dad or me, she isn't alone. I don't want her to worry about her future. She's just a child," Videl began to elucidate.
"Videl, why are you talking like this?" Gohan questioned earnestly.
With the same brave smile from before, Videl took both Gohan's hand in her own and gazed deeply, solemnly into his eyes. "Gohan, when I went to the specialist, he had some bad news for me." Videl paused to gauge her old friend's reaction and took a deep breath before continuing. "I have pancreatic cancer. It's too far along for effective treatment now, so I'm trying to make arrangements and tie up loose ends."
Simply too stunned to speak, Gohan sat frozen as he stared at Videl in disbelief. "That can't be right! Have you gotten a second opinion? I'm sure there's something they can do!"
The shaking of Videl's head stopped Gohan's out pouring of questions. "I have seen other doctors and they all agree there is nothing that can be done. This came on suddenly and unfortunately, by the time the pain starts, it's almost always too late. Even if caught early, it's usually too late with pancreatic cancer. Apparently, most brain tumors would have been easier to treat and have a better chance for survival."
At the mention of pain, Gohan's rage had quickly turned to concern. "It-...hurts?" he questioned uncomfortably.
"Yes," Videl answered with a nod and a sigh, not wanting to neither worry nor lie to Gohan. "Sometimes it's not so bad. Others-..." her sentence trailed, having never been one to complain, always preferring action to self-pity.
"So, did they give you any idea what to expect-...how long?" Gohan tentatively asked.
"I have less than six months, but they are never sure with cancers this aggressive. It could be sooner or later. Only time will tell," Videl revealed, still forcing the same brave smile she had worn almost since the moment she had hear the news of her illness from her doctor. "You're not angry at me for keeping this from you; are you?" she questioned hesitantly.
With a comforting smile, Gohan shook his head. "No. I'm just glad I can help. Though I am still really shocked."
Videl nodded and squeezed Gohan's hands affectionately. "I know what you mean. Believe me, I know. It's been over a month now for me and I'm still reeling from the shock of it all."
A somber nod was reply enough from Gohan to express his empathy much more thoroughly than any words as he let his mind digest everything he had heard. After the passing of almost a full minute, he turned his loving, obsidian-eyes to meet Videl's crystalline-blue ones. "Are you-...frightened?"
Her brave smile faltered as Videl's gaze shifted to her lap. "Yes and no." She raised her eyes back to Gohan's, that courageous smile of hers again firmly asserting itself over her demeanor. "I'm not afraid of dying. After all, I've been to the other realm. It's not so bad. But-..." her eyes dropped to their clasped hands. "I am afraid for Pan and her future. I hate knowing how much it hurts for a girl to lose her mother, just as I lost mine in a car accident at her age." Videl took a deep breath before returning her eyes to Gohan's strong, caring face. If anyone could help her, she knew it had always been and always would be Gohan. Just being with him had already begun giving her the strength she knew she would need over the months to come.
"Well, Pan's welfare is one less thing you have to worry about," Gohan smiled softly as he entwined his fingers with Videl's. "I will make certain she is well-cared for. I'm not rich by any means, but I get by just fine. And you know I will love her with all my heart. She is our daughter, after all."
"I know," Videl nodded, returning Gohan's smile and optimism. "You're going to be a great father. I've known that since the first time I met Goten."
Gohan chuckled at the memories of his brother as a young child. "The boy always was a mess."
"Yet, somehow, you could always handle him perfectly," Videl commented. "Your sense of duty and love of family have always been strong. I always admired that about you. They were a few of the reasons I fell in love with you to begin with, so many years ago."
Feeling his face growing warm, Gohan turned away. During the seconds of uncomfortable silence, his smile darkened to a concerned frown. "Earlier, you mentioned the pain. I don't know how bad it is now, but I know-...well, I would be at least a little afraid." He turned concerned eyes in her direction.
Videl sighed softly. "Like I mentioned, I have good days and not so good days. I know it's going to get worse, and I certainly don't look forward to it." Her eyes searched Gohan's for a moment before she seemed content. "So, yeah. In some ways, I guess I am."
"I'm really sorry," seemed more than slightly insufficient, but was all Gohan could think to say.
While giving an acknowledging nod, Videl's eyes fell on the wall clock. "It's getting late. I should probably head to bed." She stood to take her leave.
Gohan followed suit. "Okay. I understand. I hope you sleep well," he offered.
"You, too," Videl replied and turned toward the bedrooms only to be halted by Gohan not relinquishing her finger from amid his own. When she turned to question him, she found herself within the strong, comforting embrace of the demi-Saiyan.
"Videl, I don't know what to say or do, but you don't have to do this all on your own. I'm here for you in any way I can. Okay?" The professor held his first love close deeply inhaling her scent and doing the only thing he thought might take at least part of the pain from her eyes.
Exhaling a weary sigh, Videl fought back her tears at Gohan's outpouring of support and embraced him with a nod. "I know. And-...thank you."
Pulling back and looking into Videl's weary eyes, Gohan smiled, shaking his head. "You don't have to thank me. It's what I do best." He begrudgingly released her from his arms. "You've had a long day. I won't keep you from your rest." He smiled before remembering something important. "Oh! I figured we should probably visit Mom tomorrow before Pan starts school on Monday. You know Mom would kill me if she knew I was harboring a granddaughter from her." Gohan chuckled lightly.
"Okay," Videl returned Gohan's amusement as she stepped away. "And you are right. She'd skin you alive."
"Don't I know it." The son of Chi-Chi shook his head and chuckled his amusement. "Now, get some rest. I've kept you awake too late as it is."
"Good night," Videl called as she made her way from the room.
"Good night," Gohan replied as he turned for the kitchen, collecting their tea cups on his way.
As Videl reached her new bedroom, she closed the door and leaned her back against it with a heavy sigh, closing her eyes while Gohan turned on the water in the kitchen sink, held a cup under its stream and paused to have the same sigh. "I love you," they whispered in unison to themselves before shaking their heads and continuing with their prior intentions.