Dual Fan Fiction ❯ Interstellar Dual! ❯ Lost and Found ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure and its characters are the property of Pioneer and whoever, not me. Interstellar Dual! originally created by Will Rogers (Xtor49).
Co-writer: Thorin Blauvelt

Italics: thoughts.
Bold: emphasized
Underlined: info from the author, such as definitions, clarifications, and the Author’s Note. Underlined text is not spoken by characters.
<>: a mecha is speaking


Interstellar Dual!, Part 12: Lost and Found
By Will Rogers(Xtor49)

“I’m starving, I’m exhausted, and I can’t feel Tatsuma. But I’m alive,” the naked Travis Ecks stood up, cloaked in shadow now that the blue liquid that had contained him was gone. “Who’re you?” he questioned the stranger in front of him.

“Eric Xtor. Now, what’s this about a Tatsuma?” the stranger was six feet tall, 150 pounds, and in better physical shape than Travis. His hair was dirt brown, and his eyes were a deep sapphire blue with a ring of platinum gray around the pupil. On the back of his right hand was a tattoo that reflected the light like chrome. It was a circle with a horizontal infinity symbol down the center, split in half by a thin vertical line.

He wore gray/blue running shoes, a gray t-shirt, classic blue jeans, and a metal bracer on his left arm. A pair of metal framed sunglasses with dark lenses hung from his pants pocket. The frame was thin in width, but would cover most of the area around his eyes. He looked to be in his early twenties, but something about him told Travis that he could be either younger, or a lot older.

“Tatsuma is the artificial Cha’anda my kind created for Travis. The Cha’anda are large sentient robots that form a mental bond with their pilots. They need the pilots to have full access to their abilities,” the floating eyeball-sized light near them spoke into their minds, “Although Travis’ bond is stronger than most, allowing him to feel the pain and emotions of Tatsuma.”

“But I can’t feel him! What’s going on?!” Travis shouted.

“Tatsuma was severely damaged. He is too weak to even activate the Light Hawk Wings. The bond is still there, but just barely,” the light stated.

“What about the Skylight?” Travis asked, What about Mitsuki?

“The ship, and its crew, are unharmed. Your desperate act saved them, and your planet,” the hovering glow answered.

“Good,” Travis fainted.

Eric bent down and looked him over, “He’s fine. Like I said, he’s weak and needs food. And clothes. Got a room for him?”

“Follow me,” the light led him back into the dark hallways.

Before leaving the room, Eric spotted something glittering on the floor. Bending down real quick, he picked it up and pocketed it.

Later

Travis awoke in a brightly lit room that closely resembled one you might find in a hospital, including the bed. He sat up, stomach feeling emptier than ever before. On a desk near the wall was a set of clothing, an emerald green pilot’s suit, and a pitcher of water with a glass. Travis got up and put on the clothes, “It feels light and comfortable, like silk, but it seems…synthetic, somehow. Where the hell am I?”

He poured and drank some of the water, easing the complaints of his gut. The door to the room opened, and in came the man he had met earlier. “Good to see you’re awake. Drink up; your stomach needs to get used to having contents again,” the young man with the strange tattoo on his right hand advised.

Travis chugged another glass down, “We haven’t been introduced very well. I’m Travis Ecks, Lt. Commander of the Skylight.” He held out his hand.

“Eric Xtor,” the other Caucasian accepted the handshake warmly.

“I don’t suppose you could answer a few questions?” Travis checked.

“You’re on a spaceship owned by your buddies, the Overseers. They’re the little floating lights. Most of the ship is unlit, since they provide their own light. If they even need it. You’ve been out for several hours. Your…Cha’anda, Tatsuma, is being repaired as we speak. Apparently, the light bulbs had a few upgrades to make on him, and had been about to bring you to them when you entered the battle. They held off until just as you were about to die,” Eric began, anticipating the other man’s queries.

“Actually, you should have been dead. All that was left of you was your chest up. They kept you alive and called me to regenerate your body, using some of my unique talents. It may have increased your physical capabilities a little, but nothing superhuman. Your friends think you are dead, most likely, since the Overseers can’t contact them, for some reason or another. I can deliver a message later, if you wish, but you’ll have to stay until Tatsuma’s completed. Any other questions?”

Travis absorbed all this information for a moment, sitting down on the bed, “Tell me about yourself.”

Eric smirked, and sat in a chair next to the desk, “You first. My tale’s a lot longer, and harder to believe.”

Travis reiterated his past exploits, starting from being struck by lightning over three years before. When he began telling of the Sanada household, though, Eric interrupted him.

“Wait, wait…this is a Dual! universe? Kazuki, Zinv, two Mitsuki’s, and all that shit?” Eric questioned.

“Yeah. You mean you’re from another universe too?” Travis asked.

“Yep. So, which of the girls are you married to?” Eric grinned.

“How’d you-?” Travis started.

Eric pulled out the object he had found on the floor earlier. He held it up, showing that it was Travis’ wedding ring, before tossing it to him. “No, wait, lemme guess…judging by the way you hold yourself, you’re a martial artist. So that means you probably wouldn’t put up with Sanada. I highly doubt you married Dee at her age, even after three years. Yayoi…I don’t think she’d go for a martial artist. I doubt it was any girl you didn’t meet at the house, so I’d put my money on Mitsuki Rara.”

“And you’d be right,” Travis returned the ring to his finger.

“She open up for you?” Eric wondered.

“Mostly. She’s still pretty reserved. Still blushes at a simple complement. I’ll never get tired of seeing her blush. It’s like falling in love all over again,” Travis admitted.

“I’m glad she found someone. Please, continue,” Eric urged.

Travis told him of the Marikesans, the trip to Jintaro, finding Josh, and the Devastators.

“Damn. Sounds like something that would’ve happened to me,” Eric laughed.

“Your turn,” Travis reminded.

“I’m just a guy trying to live his lives the way he wants,” Eric shrugged, leaning back.

Live his lives? I must’ve misheard him, Travis thought, “C’mon, gimme something more than that. How’d you heal me? What do you do? Are you as human as you look?”

“I used my energy to cause your body to regenerate itself. I’m a jack-of-all-trades, but I’m mostly into computers, auto mechanics, extreme sports, and martial arts. And no,” Eric answered his questions in order.
“If you’re not human, what are you?” Travis inquired.

“Xtor,” the tattooed man declared.

“…You’re trying to be as vague as possible, aren’t you?” the Lt. Commander realized.

“Just about. So, how about I take you to some breakfast, and I’ll go notify your wife and friends that you’re still alive?” Eric suggested.

“Now you’re just changing the subject,” Travis complained.

“Certainly. Let’s go,” Eric waved him to the door. Travis’ stomach grumbled, and he gave in with a chuckle.

Half an hour later

“How are the preparations going?” Captain/Doctor Ken Sanada asked halfheartedly, sitting in his office aboard the Skylight.

“Earth tells us the planet-wide broadcast is set for 19 hours from now. Funeral preparations will be complete in 13 hours,” Ms. Hayase told him.

“And Lt. Ecks?” he queried.

“Mitsuki agreed to be there, but other than that…” Kauro trailed off.

Suddenly, an alarm went off, and someone was calling Dr. Sanada’s desk terminal. He turned it on. It was his wife, Akane Yamano-Sanada, recently elected mayor of Jinlan, the name given to the underground town. “Ken, some sort of strange gray energy just appeared in the middle of the city! And a young man has stepped out of it!”

“I’m on my way!” Captain Sanada hung up, stood, and walked out the door, “Get a security detail to the center of town now!”

At the center of town, a few minutes later

Men and women in body armor that resembled that of a SWAT team, only a light gray, surrounded the strange Caucasian man, energy rifles like miniature versions of those the mechs used aimed at him. He acted as if they weren’t even there.

Kazuki and Josh joined Ken Sanada and Prof. Rara in meeting with this newcomer. The security detail stepped aside somewhat to let them through. “Good morning!” the young man greeted.

“I’m-” Dr. Sanada was about to introduce himself.

“I know who you are. Dr. S, Prof. R, Kazuki Yotsuga, and…you must be Josh,” the stranger looked at the four of them, “Well, I’m Eric Xtor. I’m just here to tell you that Mr. Ecks is alive, as is Tatsuma.”

“Travis…is alive?” Josh gaped, Could he be telling the truth?

“He’s with the Overseers right now. He can’t return just yet, as Tatsuma is in severe need of repairs. Plus, he’s still got a bit of recovery to go,” Eric stated.

“Perhaps you could take the time to explain how this is possible?” Commander Rara requested.

“Of course,” Eric said.

Later, in the conference room aboard the Skylight

Mitsuki Ecks felt like she was about to start crying again, but this time in relief, Travis… he’s alive.

All of the pilots were in the room, along with Captain Sanada, Commander Rara, and Mayor Akane Sanada, and had heard Eric Xtor’s story of what happened. He was currently holding a ball of platinum energy above his hand, to prove his ability. Dr. Sanada and Prof. Rara stared at it with that expression they get when they really want to study something. Josh and Mitsuki S. watched it suspiciously. Mitsuki E. didn’t even see it. The rest just looked at it in amazement.

Although Mina, Ryla, and Alice weren’t just looking at the orb. He was a very handsome and athletic young man, and they were currently unattached.

Eric noticed the faces of the two older men, “No, I won’t let you hook me up to any machines or anything.” Simultaneously, Ken and Hiroshi sighed dejectedly.

“Take me to him!” Mitsuki E. demanded.

Eric’s head moved to see her, and he dissipated the sphere. He frowned in sympathy, “If only I could. But it would run the risk that the Overseers might be found by those that would destroy them. I realize it is hard, but you must be patient. He will be back soon enough. For now, take comfort in the fact that you will see him again.”

For a moment, even down at the other end of the conference table, the light-brown haired newlywed thought she saw a great amount of loss in his face and eyes. She nodded in quiet acceptance.

“Anyway, I should be getting back, to help with the repairs. The sooner Tatsuma and Travis are back with you, the sooner I can go finish what I was doing before the Overseers called me,” Eric turned, and platinum energy flowed from his hands to form into a human-sized mass.

“Just for curiosity’s sake, what were you doing before they called you?” Prof. Rara questioned.

“Trying to save another universe,” Eric waved with a smile and stepped into the energy, which disappeared behind him.

“I think he was being serious,” Kazuki commented.

“Well…I guess this means Travis won’t be getting his awards posthumously after all,” Captain Sanada smirked.

Akane smacked the back of his head.

Later

Back on the Overseer’s ship, Travis was exploring the place, hoping to find either Tatsuma or the man who had saved his life. He found a couple of large double doors and opened them. Inside he found both of them.

“What the hell kind of designs are these?” Eric was leaning down at a terminal screen, his back to the door. The terminal was part of a small control room, sticking out of the side of a much larger construction room. Against the far wall was a set of arms and legs, shiny emerald green in color. Numerous machines toiled in-between the limbs and the control room. Travis could only assume that they were rebuilding Tatsuma’s body.

“Hey, Trav,” Eric greeted, not turning around.

“How’d you know it was me?” Travis walked over next to him.

“I have my ways. Damn. What were those fucking light bulbs thinking? I’m gonna have to scrap what they’ve done so far, make some major changes, and start over. This is just ridiculous. They can’t expect you to use the upgrades without more power. And this wiring…he’d have plenty if I just altered things a bit…” Eric muttered.

“Wait, wait…you’re handling Tatsuma’s reconstruction?” Travis questioned.

“I am now. The way they’ve got things going now, I’d probably end up coming back to save you’re ass again,” Eric stood up straight, crossing his arms.

“Do you know what you’re doing?” Travis said doubtingly.

“You’d be surprised by what all I know,” Eric started pressing buttons on a part of the terminal.

Why do I get the feeling he says that a lot? “This won’t alter Tatsuma as a person, will it?” Travis was a little concerned.

“Not at all. His core personality isn’t even installed yet. It’s over on the far right wall, if you want to see. He’s unconscious still, having no body,” Eric pointed in the direction.

Travis rode the elevator on the side of the control room down to the construction room floor, and walked over to the spot Eric had pointed at. Inside a glass case, about one cubic foot in size, was an emerald green seed about the size of a ping pong ball, “That…that’s Tatsuma’s core?!”

“Yep,” Eric called down over the room’s intercom system. “I heard it straight from one of the Overseers. The core is the hardest part of a Cha’anda to recreate. The light bulbs tried over and over to do it before getting that one, and couldn’t get it to work again. Otherwise, they would’ve. But they still knew that Shinigami was alive. So they searched for two people who fit the criteria to bond with Tatsuma and Shinigami that also were fairly close friends. You and Josh actually exceeded the criteria.”

“I always thought Tatsuma was made with me in mind…” Travis mumbled.

“Perhaps he was. In my experience, Trav, there are such things as destiny and fate. Not everyone has them, but they’re real. And I think it was your destiny to pilot Tatsuma,” Eric reassured.

“Thanks, Eric,” the mech pilot responded.

“No prob. Now, get you’re ass back up here so I can show you what these upgrades’re gonna do to the green guy,” the man in the control room ordered with a grin, “Or, rather, what they’re gonna do to his opponents.”

“You think you could do the same sort of thing for the others?” the Lt. Commander requested as he got back up to the control room.

“You want me to completely dismantle, rewire, and rebuild eight mechs, with cores that are used to ancient technology, and may not be able to handle such alterations as well as Tatsuma’s artificially, comparatively recently created core?” Eric’s voice hinted that this was a really bad idea.

“Ah...maybe not,” Travis retracted his request.

“Didn’t think so. Now, c’mere. Check out what they’ve done to his hands,” Eric gestured to one of the terminal screens.

One week later

“Wow…” Travis stared up at the fully rebuilt Tatsuma. Where his body had been black in the unarmored areas, like Zinv, it was now covered with a brilliant chrome finish. His single eye now pulsated with energy like one of those plasma balls.

“His power output is five times what it used to be. His chest beam can only fire at three times the power, though. His Boost speed is double what it used to be, and he’s at half that at his normal speed. But the best part is this. The Overseers designed his new limbs with plasma blade points. Show him, Tatsuma!” Eric called.

White energy formed at the green mech’s elbows, knees, the tops of his feet, and his fists. “With those things on, you’ll cut through practically anything. Great for a martial artist, eh?” Eric grinned.

“I don’t know what to say,” Travis stared in awe.

“You don’t have to say anything. Just get you’re ass back to your wife and friends, and take out those Devastators of yours,” Eric handed Travis his helmet.

“Thanks, Eric. It was great meeting you. Even if I still know practically nothing about you,” Travis offered his hand.

Eric shook it, “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you, anyway. Take care of yourself, Ecks.”

“Think you could come visit some time?” Travis put on the helmet.

“We’ll see,” Eric shrugged.

As Travis got inside Tatsuma’s cockpit, Eric made his way back to the control room. Once the pilot was ready, Eric opened the doors, and Tatsuma flew out into space.

spoke a voice in the tattooed man’s head.

“If you say so, Negari. We better get back now,” Eric held out his hands, platinum energy flowing from them to form a gateway to the other universe.

Negari reminded.

“I think Travis and Tatsuma can handle it, with help from their friends. Besides, you and I both know we can’t save them all,” Eric stepped through the gateway.

Back at Jintaro

“Why are we out here again?” Alice asked inside purple Tamaki. All of the mechs currently on Jintaro were active, traveling alongside a couple of large personnel and supply trucks along the ground.

“Because they found some kind of underground base in the southern hemisphere,” orange Hoshi’s pilot, Ryla, notified her.

“And, since we never know when another bombing run will come along, we’re needed to protect the trucks,” yellow Kagami’s pilot Mina added.

“Oh. Right. You told me that yesterday,” Alice giggled in embarrassment.

“And the day before that, and the day before that…” Josh mumbled.

“At least she stopped asking, ‘Are we there yet?’,” Dee was as optimistic as always.

“After two days of asking every fifteen minutes or so,” Mitsuki Y. groaned.

“So, what’s in the underground base?” Alice wondered.

“We don’t know. That’s why we’re going,” Mitsuki E. told her.

“Kazuki,” Kauro Hayase called from the Skylight, which was still back at the city, “Scans are detecting another bombing force headed for the planet. I recommend intercepting them in outer space before they make it through the atmosphere and spot the trucks. Until they’re gone, we’ll be shutting down, so no further contact will be possible.”

“Right,” Kazuki acknowledged, “Dee, Mitsuki, stay here and protect the trucks. Everyone else with me.”

“Which one?!” both Mitsuki’s queried.

“Oh. Uh…” Kazuki blushed at his mistake.

“Wait!” Kauro interrupted, “Something’s approaching the fleet at high speed. It’s firing on them! I’ll transmit the scans to you.”

On the screens inside the mechs appeared a window showing the Devastators at a distance. Large amounts of electricity seemed to be traveling from unit to unit, frying their systems. “Was that…” Mitsuki Y. started.

“A Chain Lightning,” Dr. Sanada finished, inside one of the trucks with Prof. Rara, “At nearly five times the normal power.”

“Lt. Commander Travis Ecks, returning from medical leave. Leave these assholes to Tatsuma and I. We’ve got some upgrades begging for a field test!” came the American’s familiar voice over the communication system.

Travis!”, <<b>Tatsuma!> Mitsuki E. and Yuriko exclaimed in unison.

That energy at certain points on his body…it’s not the same as when he turns on the Light Hawk Wings. It looks more like… Josh was thinking. Right then, Tatsuma began using hand-to-hand techniques to fight. Unlike when he would do this before, now his attacks went right through the enemy like a bullet through a paper target. “That’s plasma blade energy on his arms and legs!” Josh blurted out.

Moving at least as fast as when previously accelerated by Boost, Tatsuma simultaneously fired his chest beam as he fought. The beam was easily three times its former power, and could cut through multiple foes. The Devastators were still so surprised at the sudden attack from behind that they were unable to make any sort of counterattack.

Then Travis did the unthinkable, “Boost on!”

The emerald Het’s speed doubled instantly, meaning he was travelling at twice the speed he had ever achieved before. Tatsuma was leaving an afterimage on the scanners from shifting so quickly and suddenly. Yet his movements seemed to flow like some kind of dance, never jerky or hesitant or anything else one might expect from such velocity. Everyone on the planet watched in awe, too stunned to react in any way. Still, it was obvious that he needed no help whatsoever.

“Chain Lightning!” Travis yelled as he finished off the last of the bombing crafts with said electrical attack.

Tatsuma spoke excitedly.

“You got it, pal. But I doubt we’ll ever see him again. Too bad, he’s a pretty cool guy. A little strange in some ways, though. I really wish he’d told me more about himself,” Travis replied as the headed for Jintaro.

The green robot touched down near the other Cha’anda, his Boost and plasma blades shut off. Instantly, Yuriko latched onto Tatsuma with a tight, possessive hug.

Tatsuma returned the embrace gently.

ever get yourself killed again,> the white Lin chided him lightly.

“That goes for you, too, Travis,” Mitsuki E. stated.

“Huh?” Travis was confused, since he wasn’t able to hear Yuriko’s words. Tatsuma repeated them to him. “Oh…Well, it wasn’t exactly an experience I’d want to repeat.”

“Welcome back, bro,” Josh greeted.

“Good to be back,” Travis responded.

Shinigami stated.

Tatsuma explained.

“As happy as I am about Travis’ return, we do still have a job to do,” Mitsuki Y. said.

“Yeah, we’re investigating a…what was it again?” Alice asked.

Ryla groaned, “An underground base in the southern hemisphere.”

“Hmm, sounds interesting. I guess Tatsuma and I’ll join you,” Travis commented.

“Oh, no, you don’t!” Commander Rara called from his truck, “You and my daughter get back to Jinlan immediately! Separated from your wife for over a week, so soon after being married…”

“The blowhard has a point. You and Mitsuki go on home,” Captain Sanada agreed.

“Why, you overgrown-” the rest of Prof. Rara’s reply was cut off.

Thank you, Daddy,
Mitsuki E. thought to herself.

“Well, Captain’s orders. Not that I’m complaining,” Travis grinned.

Tatsuma remarked to Yuriko.

she protested.

Tatsuma picked up the white Lin and took off, enjoying the feel of her in his arms.

Zinv muttered.

“Come on, everyone. We’ve got a job to do yet,” Kazuki brought the others back on track.

Hours later, somewhere in Jintaro’s southern hemisphere

“Aha! I’ve done it!” Hiroshi Rara proclaimed as he worked the panel to the underground base’s entrance. Dirt surrounded the trucks and scientists, as the Cha’anda had had to dig to unearth the panel and doorway.

“I could have done it faster,” Ken Sanada declared under his breath as the entrance opened. However, the wider man still heard him.

“It would’ve taken you another hour to figure out how to open the door, you imbecile!” Prof. Rara shouted.

“Sirs! Sensors say the air inside the base is perfectly breathable,” one of the other scientists told them.

“Really?! We don’t have to wait for fresh air to circulate in?!” Dr. Sanada asked.

“Then let’s go in right now!” Commander Rara ran in with exuberance, and tripped on the stairs that went down about thirty feet before reaching a platform. The overweight man groaned, “Ow.”

The lights came on automatically, proving that there was still power in the complex. Ignoring his associate, Captain Sanada walked over to a map on the wall. “Hmm…this place seems to be some kind of repair center for mechs, fighter craft, and larger ships. The main control room is this way.” He pointed to the right.

“Don’t you know anything?!” Prof. Rara made a quick recovery, “They never mark the main control room as such! It only says ‘Main Control Room’ to fool any invasion forces that might show up. The real control room is here!” He pointed to a place on the map.

Dr. Sanada adjusted his glasses and translated the words, “It says that’s the Septic Tank.”

“Exactly! No one would suspect it!” Prof. Rara explained.

“Someone get a medic in here. I think the Commander might have a concussion from his fall,” Dr. Sanada called to the others coming down the steps.

“Fine! Don’t believe me! I’ll go there myself and prove I’m right!” Prof. Rara ran off before anyone could stop him.

Now I’m really glad his daughter isn’t around to see this, the spiky-haired man thought.

A few minutes later

Professor Hiroshi Rara opened the door to the room marked ‘Septic Tank’ and ran inside. Less than ten seconds after the door closed behind him, he came back out gagging and choking from the smell of millennia old bodily wastes. Finally, he fainted, the smell having permeated into his clothing in just that brief span of time. Fortunately, Dr. Sanada had sent a few of the other members of their team to retrieve the Commander and get him medical attention.

Meanwhile, Captain Sanada had made it to the control room, and was staring at one of the many screens. It was the computerized registry for the contents of the base. His eyes were wide, and a gleam appeared in them as he smiled lightly and spoke one single word.

“Carrier.”

For inside one of the base’s storage bays was a starship, larger and longer than the Skylight, orange-tinted white in color. There was a large hole in one of the sides, apparently from some kind of energy beam.

And, according to the data on the screen, it held three hundred fighter craft inside, all designed for combat in either space or in atmosphere.

“I think we’ll need to make another trip back to Earth soon,” Dr. Sanada grinned.

Author’s Note: Eric Xtor will most likely not make any further appearances in this story, but I make no guarantees. Part 13 will find Josh and Travis in a combat situation unlike any they have ever been in…and unable to use Shinigami or Tatsuma!