Dual Fan Fiction ❯ Interstellar Dual! ❯ Recruitment Begins ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure and its characters are the property of Pioneer and whoever, not me. Interstellar Dual! originally created by Will Rogers (Xtor49).
Co-writer: Thorin Blauvelt
Italics: thoughts.
Bold: emphasized
Underlined: info from the author, such as definitions, clarifications, and the Author’s Note. Underlined text is not spoken by characters.
<>: a mecha is speaking

Interstellar Dual!, Part 13: Recruitment Begins
By Thorin Blauvelt

“I can’t believe our luck! An ancient carrier ship, complete with three hundred fighter craft!” Commander Rara exclaimed. He was currently in the medical facilities back at Jinlan, recovering from his fall at the underground repair center the day before. He had bandages wrapped around his head.

“Yes, well, since we don’t have enough willing people to crew both the Skylight and the carrier, we’ll be taking it to Earth to pick up some volunteers. It should take us a few weeks, so you should be completely recovered by the time we get back. Rest easy, Akane and the others can handle things while we’re gone,” Dr. Sanada assured him.

“Who all is going with you?” Hiroshi wondered.

“Of the pilots, Travis and your Mitsuki, along with Josh and Dee. The others will remain behind to protect Jinlan. I thought it best that the Lt. Commander be there, and his wife wasn’t about to get separated from him again so soon,” Ken smirked slightly, “Josh wants to see Earth again. And Dee wanted to come, too.”

“Well, do make sure my son-in-law spends a lot of quality time with his wife. That young man can be such a workaholic at times,” Prof. Rara requested.

“Certainly. You get plenty of rest, now. We’ll be back before you know it,” Dr. Sanada walked out. He’ll be fine. It isn’t anything serious, he thought, as if reassuring himself.

Meanwhile

“It’ll be good to set foot on Earth again,” Josh remarked as he and Travis carried a few suitcases of clothing down one of the corridors of the carrier.

“I guess,” Travis said half-heartedly.

“What’s up?” Josh asked.

“Agh, I got that award ceremony to go through,” Travis explained.

“Oh, right. The medals for saving the planet,” Josh nodded.

“Yeah. At least it’s only one ceremony. They were originally going to have a separate one for each country, but Captain Sanada talked them out of it. In exchange, I have to wear them all in front of the new recruits for the carrier and make a speech,” Travis grimaced with a groan of disgust.

“Such is the role of the third in command,” Josh stopped at an intersection, “Officers’ Rooms were…this way, I think.” Josh pointed right.

“Yeah, I think so. We really better learn how to get around in this thing. What are they naming it again?” Travis queried, moving down the right corridor.

“Amaterasu, after the goddess. The fighters are Novabeams,” Josh answered.

“Seems appropriate,” Travis replied.

Later

“Everyone present and accounted for, Captain,” a tech sergeant stated.

“Excellent!” Dr. Sanada sat in the captain’s chair aboard the carrier, “Take us out.”

Since the docking bay for the Amaterasu at Jinlan was just beginning construction, the carrier was kept at the underground base in the southern hemisphere of Jintaro. Now, the gigantic doors to the base opened up, and the orange-tinted white ship floated up into the air. Once a fair distance above the ground, the Amaterasu flew away from the planet.

“Take us back to Earth,” Captain Sanada ordered. The fold-space drive was activated, and the carrier was teleported just outside of Earth’s orbit.

“They’re hailing us, sir,” another tech sergeant reported.

“Well, answer it,” Ken commanded impatiently.

“Captain Sanada, welcome back!” the head of the Planetary Defense Program greeted. His image was skewed by lots of static, making it impossible to make out any features. “Please, proceed to the coordinates we’re sending you.”

“Thank you, Chairman. We’ll be right there. Sanada out. Let’s go, pilot,” Ken ended the transmission.

The Amaterasu entered Earth’s atmosphere and touched down at the coordinates, not too far from Tokyo.

“Excellent! Well, everyone, be sure to enjoy your stay on Earth. We’ll be here for a few weeks. Do try to keep out of trouble, though. Dismissed,” Captain Sanada said to the bridge crew. With a collective cry of excitement, everyone left the bridge.

Elsewhere on the ship

“Come on, Josh!” Dee ran out of the ship’s exit with exuberance.

“Wait up, Dee!” Josh ran after her, quickly catching up.

Travis laughed at their antics as he and Mitsuki Ecks got off the Amaterasu behind the young couple, his arm around his wife. Josh and Dee completely ignored the reporters at the end of the ramp as they ran past, and the reporters ignored them. All the cameras were focused on Tatsuma and Yuriko’s pilots, who soon got microphones thrust in their faces.

“Lt. Commander Ecks, how does it feel to have saved the planet?”

“Mr. Ecks, what happened to you after you disappeared?”

“Mrs. Ecks, what are your thoughts on this situation?”

And a slew of other questions were shouted out. Mitsuki clung a little tighter to Travis, unsure what to do. Travis just kept walking, making his way past them, “No comment.”

“Wow. Travis doesn’t look happy,” Dee noticed, having stopped and looked back.

“Those reporters shouldn’t have been let in here,” Josh remarked next to her, “This is a military installation. Which means some officer let them in, probably after being offered bribes.”

“Welcome, Lt. Commander Ecks, Lt. Ecks. I’m Lt. Mo-” a greasy looking little man in uniform came out to greet them.

“Are you the one who let the press in?” Travis interrupted with a deadly scowl.

“Uh…” the lieutenant adjusted his collar nervously, “Y-yes…”

Travis got right in his face, and quietly stated, “If I wasn’t on international television right now, I’d smash your face. As it is, expect me to be making a complaint to your superiors, Lieutenant. Take us wherever we’re supposed to go. If I see you again after that, all bets are off. Understand…” Travis read the man’s name off of his uniform, “Morita?”

“Yes, sir!” Lt. Morita nodded, sweating a little.

“Good. Carry on,” Travis stood up straight and let the short Japanese man lead them. Josh and Dee followed behind.

“You shouldn’t be so mean, Travis,” Mitsuki scolded quietly, so the man in front of them couldn’t hear, but only half meant it.

“I know. I’m sorry. I promise I won’t hit him if I see him again, okay? I was just angry at the reporters, and he’s the reason they’re in here…” Travis sighed, “If it was just me, I wouldn’t have cared so much, but they were making you uncomfortable.”

“That’s sweet, Travis, but you can’t protect me from everything. We’d have run into them sooner or later,” she commented.

“Yeah, you’re right. We could’ve been better prepared later, though,” he complained.

After watching what happened with his bro and his sister-in-law, Josh started getting pissed, but after watching Travis handle the situation he calmed down. “Well Travis I’m glad you handled him your way first,” Josh stated

“Why is that, Josh?” Dee asked.

“Because I was going to pull these on him,” as he speaks, Josh lifts the back of his duster and draws down a medium sword and a full katana. Mitsuki was startled by the sudden revealing of the blades and drew up close against Travis. Dee didn’t move but her eyes widened like milk saucers.

Travis sighed, used to his blood-brother’s weapons. “Put them away, Josh. You can’t go around threatening people, not with edged weapons, and especially not with millions of viewers around the world. Are you trying to get arrested or something?”

Josh grinned sheepishly, quickly and deftly sheathing both blades, “Sorry. I didn’t think of that.”

“I’d tell you to get rid of them, but you wouldn’t do it...” Travis then smirked, “Still, they might be useful later.”

Josh’s grin turned wicked, “Alright bro, sounds like fun.”

“Okay, that is just disturbing Josh,” Captain Sanada commented. “Were you trying to scare all those people?”

Josh grinned. “Now would I do that?” he asked innocently.

Everyone that knew him let out a firm, “Yes.”

* * *

Several hours later

Everyone gathered together for the ceremony. The lights of the cameras were lighting up the stage blinding most of the people up there until the lights were adjusted to suit everyone involved. Travis sat in the chair next to the center stage.

The commander of the Planetary Defense Program, General Roger Daniel James, began to give a speech about Travis's heroics in saving the world from the invasion of the Marikesans at the cost of his own life or so it had seemed at the time. “We all mourned his loss as we prepared for a funeral of epic proportions when, to our utter shock, word came that our hero and savior was still alive and well. And here he sits with us. Why don’t you all join me in saluting and cheering our hero, Lieutenant Commander Travis Ecks!"

With that the general turned and saluted Travis as everyone stood and either saluted him or cheered for him depending on whether they were civilian or military. Travis stood up slowly and rendered back a salute, then walked up to receive his medal.

Later that night

The banquet had just finished and the speech was about to begin. Josh had been chosen to lead with the opening for Travis. All the potential candidates were gathered. Josh stepped up first and looked over his notes. He looked up.

“Welcome all. My name is Lieutenant Josh Lands. I am one of the pilots for the Jinlan defensive army. We defend our new home, Jintaro, the first colony of Earth. The army that attacked Earth just weeks ago also plagues our homeland, though never in that large a force. I am here to welcome our primary speaker, Lieutenant Commander Travis Ecks, my good friend and the hero of the Earth.” Josh stepped back and began applauding to begin the wave which swept across the entire room.

Travis stepped up to the podium smiling nervously. He coughed once as the applause tapered off rather abruptly as the crowd got their first look at the “hero of Earth”.

Several began muttering about how young Travis was, but most told those to quiet down. Josh had stepped up, pushing his coat but not quite enough to reveal anything. Travis stared at him to back down and Josh slowly backed away. Travis looked back out at the assembled men and women.

“Thank you, everyone, for coming. I would like to particularly thank all of those who have volunteered to go with us to Jintaro. With your help, Jintaro will be colonized far sooner than if we had continued to fight alone.”

“I am Lieutenant Commander Travis Ecks of the Jinlan Defensive Army. I pilot the emerald Cha’anda Mech known as Tatsuma. As you all are well aware, Earth was attacked a few weeks ago by an extraterrestrial armada. As a last resort, I was willing to give up my life to protect this planet and those I care for. I never expected there to be anything left of me to identify, much less that I would actually survive. I didn’t care about being called a hero when I did it, and I don’t care about it now. I don’t fight to be a hero. I fight for my family, my friends, my subordinates, and the human race in general. I would give my life for them. If that makes me a hero, so be it.”

“Anyone here who wants to be a hero, I suggest you get up and leave right now. All you’re going to do is get someone killed. That is not what this job is about. It’s about protecting those one cares for, even if it costs one’s life. Anyone who isn’t willing to pay that price, you should leave as well. Don’t stay, worried about how others will think of you. It takes courage to admit something like this. And, chances are, you’ll be saving lives by leaving, which is something to be proud of. If anyone is to leave, please do so now,” Travis paused. No one stood up.

“Alright then. I’m glad to see that all of you share my devotion. Have a good evening,” Travis smiled and bowed slightly before stepping down from the podium. As he walked off, the crowd broke out in excited ovation.

Captain Sanada came up to the podium, waiting for the applause to die. He cleared his throat, “Thank you all for coming, we greatly appreciate your willingness to volunteer to join us. By volunteering you will enable our new home Jintaro to be colonized far sooner then if we had continued to fight alone. Unfortunately, as much as we would like to take all of you, we have far more volunteers than we can accommodate. We will select 1000 of you based upon your skills, strengths, and other factors. We thank you all for applying to join with us and aid. Please, all of you, stay and enjoy the refreshments.”

Meanwhile, Mitsuki was waiting for her husband behind the curtain, grappling him as he came over, “That was wonderful, Travis. I don’t think there was a single heart in that room that you didn’t reach.” On a sudden impulse, she leaned up and kissed Travis softly. He smiled at her, holding her close as he enjoyed the moment.

“I was just saying how I feel...” he muttered.

"Oh get a room you two, sheesh. Cant you two ever get enough," Josh said, laughing hard. Dee walked up beside him smiling as well at the young couple.

“I’ll never get enough of her,” Travis replied, gazing directly into Mitsuki’s brown orbs. The love in his tone reflected in his eyes and the small smile on his face. The smile deepened as she blushed.

The four of them then walked back to their vehicle so they could return to the Amaterasu and their quarters.

***

Travis, Mitsuki, Josh, and Dee were all visiting Japan for a week, viewing all the sights.

“Oh, wow!” Dee exclaimed. She was looking through the window of an exquisite jewelry store, marveling at the gems and gold. She turned towards Josh, executing an attack that is nearly unstoppable, particularly on males when used by a pretty young female. This attack has many names, but is commonly referred to as the Sad Puppy-Dog Eyes. “Can we go in? Please?”

Josh proved to be highly susceptible to this attack, but considering his strong feelings for the young lady and her inborn cuteness, this is understandable. “Sure,” he said.

“Yay!” Dee grabbed his hand and dragged him inside.

Mitsuki giggled. Travis chuckled, “After you, gorgeous.”

What a cute couple. They look kind of familiar... the shop owner thought. The elderly man’s eyes widened in recognition as Travis and Mitsuki entered. That’s who they are!

“Mitsuki, look at this one!” Dee pointed at an ornate diamond-studded bracelet on display. Mitsuki, however, was gazing longingly at an amber pendant.

“You like them?” the elderly owner asked the girls.

“Uh-huh!” Dee chirped. Mitsuki nodded, eyes not leaving the flawless orange of the amber.

“Then you can have them,” he told them.

“Really?!” both girls cried out excitedly.

“Huh?” Travis was surprised. Josh said nothing.

“It’s my way of thanking you, Mr. Ecks. You saved us all, and for that, I am grateful,” the owner explained.

“Well, er...thank you,” Travis responded, unsure what to say. I don’t like taking his stuff, but I don’t want to offend him...

The owner unlocked the jewelry cases behind the counter, removing the bracelet and pendant. Dee put on the thin chain-like bracelet, “I love it!”

“Could you help me, Travis?” Mitsuki requested. He did so, stepping behind her. The amber rested at the top of her breasts. “What do you think?” she asked.

“It looks perfect on you,” Travis answered truthfully.

They visited a few more jewelry stores later, with similar results. Although most of the stores just sold them their wares at cost. Still, that was quite a discount.
***

“Hey, let’s go here!” Josh pointed to a nearby restaurant that advertised having a karaoke machine, “I’ve always wanted to see a karaoke bar.”

“Yeah! Sounds great!” Dee agreed.

“Come on, Travis,” Mitsuki encouraged.

“I...fine,” Travis was obviously reluctant, but went anyway.

After a few other guests of the restaurant sang songs, most of them badly, Mitsuki suggested, “Why don’t you try, Travis?”

“I’d rather not,” he stated.

“It’ll be fun!” Dee encouraged.

“Please?” Mitsuki requested.

“Sorry, but no,” Travis replied.

“Come on, Travis. How about if the rest of us go too?” Josh offered.

“You know I’m tone deaf, Josh,” Travis said.

“The same goes for some of these people, but they try anyway. C’mon,” Josh urged.

“Please, Travis? I want to hear you sing,” Mitsuki pleaded.

“You’re not going to leave me alone until I agree, are you?”

“Nope,” the other three simultaneously confirmed.

Travis sighed, “Fine.” He got up and walked over to the now empty karaoke machine. He selected a classic rock song from America, took a deep breath as the music began, and started singing the lyrics as they appeared on the screen. He tuned out all noise but the music, so he wouldn’t have to listen to any complaints.

Less than four minutes later, Travis finally looked up at the audience, the song complete. There was a fair amount of applause from the audience, which astonished him as he returned to his seat.

“Travis, that was great!” Mitsuki complemented.

“Yeah!” Dee concurred.

“Since when could you carry a tune, bro?” Josh wondered.

“Um...I don’t know...” Travis blinked, “I haven’t tried since...since before the Devastators attacked Earth. Maybe...”

“Maybe what?” Mitsuki queried.

“Maybe it’s some kind of side effect of being healed,” he thought aloud, “Eric did say that it might cause an increase in my physical abilities.” (1)

“You mean that Xtor guy, right?” Josh checked.

“Yeah, Eric Xtor. That’s the only reason I can think of,” Travis said, “So, who’s next?”

“What do you mean?” Dee questioned.

“I seem to remember someone saying that the rest of you would get up and sing if I did,” the Lt. Commander smirked.

“Okay! Come on, Josh, sing with me!” Dee pulled her boyfriend up to the stage by the hand.

“She should get him a leash, as much as she pulls him around,” Travis mumbled. Mitsuki heard him and giggled.

Dee picked a Japanese pop duet for her and Josh to sing, and had the restaurateurs cheering.

“I...guess it’s my turn,” Mitsuki sounded timid, “I’ve never sung in front of so many people before.”

“Hey, gorgeous,” Travis gently pulled her chin so she looked at him. “You’ll do fine. If you get too nervous, just keep your eyes on me. Okay?”

She smiled and nodded, “Thanks, Travis.”

Up at the microphone, Mitsuki chose a quiet Japanese love song. Her gaze met Travis’ own, and it kept her calm. There were quite a few moist eyes in the room when she finished, created by the emotions her song brought up in people. One person called out, “Encore!” And that one became many.

Mitsuki just stood there as if unsure what to do. Travis went back up to the stage, “How about we sing together this time?”

His wife gave him a grateful smile, “I would love to.” And they sung an American duet, to the delight of the restaurant patrons.

The rest of the week passed quickly as they enjoyed themselves. On the last night, when Travis checked in on how things were going at the carrier, everything was going well. The final round of the selection would take place in the morning.

On the Amaterasu

The final rounds of the testing were completed and the 1000 volunteers were now sorted from the rest to begin their training, 900 with the Novabeams and the rest as crew for the Amaterasu. Quarters were being assigned and uniforms issued. Finally, at the time of the evening meal, everything was completed. Everyone was celebrating in the dining hall.

Captain Sanada had been promoted to Admiral, since he was to have command over the whole Jinlan military. He stood up at the head table, "Welcome crew of the Amaterasu and pilots of the Novabeams. I am Admiral Sanada, commanding officer of the Jinlan Defensive Army, the spacecrafts Amaterasu, Skylight, and the Novabeams. It is my honor to welcome you to our ranks.”

“Tomorrow our shining stars, the newly promoted Commander Travis Ecks and Lieutenant Commander Josh Lands, will be returning so we can begin our journey back to Jinlan, your new home. Now while it is a good distance away, ten light-years to be exact, the journey will take mere moments because of our artifact technology. But I'm sure you have had enough of my yapping. Eat up everyone." With this Ken Sanada sat down and began to follow his own order.

Outside

Three dozen black shadows crossed over the perimeter fence of the military compound, highly skilled in the arts of stealth. Sneaking across the open expanses, knocking out any guard they came across with ease. Sub-automatic rifles similar in design to the infamous AK-47 were slung under their shoulders, but left untouched in the interest of silence. They each wore faceless black masks, like those one might wear as a Halloween costume.

Gradually converging from all around, approaching the Amaterasu. Carefully they snuck onboard the defenseless ship taking it over corridor by corridor, until they reached the dining hall. The people inside were completely taken by surprise as the invaders quickly spread out through the room. The sub-automatic rifles were no longer slung over their shoulders, but in their hands and pointed at the crowd.

The apparent leader held a large 10mm Glock to Admiral Sanada's head as half his group of terrorists begin to bind each and every person in that dining hall, “Hello, Admiral.”

Sanada manages to touch his wrist com under the table to send Travis a quick message, tapping out the message as fast as he could. Before he could do too much, his captor noticed and knocked him out by smacking Ken’s head with the butt of his Glock.

At the hotel the four pilots were staying at

Josh was in Dee’s room, enjoying a late dinner with the green-haired girl, when they heard a high-pitched electronic screech.

“That came from next door,” Josh noted.

“That’s Travis and Mitsuki’s room!” Dee realized. Quickly, the two of them ran out and pounded on the Ecks’ room door.

Travis opened it up, “I just got an emergency message from our new Admiral.”

“So that was the noise we just heard?” Josh inquired.

“Yeah. I’ll have to change the volume on that later. Here, read it,” Travis held his comlink so that Josh and Dee could read the small screen.

"Help Amaterasu taken terrorists 30+ heavily armed all 1000 hostage send help" (2)

Travis and Josh looked at each other, knowing what they must do. Mitsuki and Dee trading similar looks, knowing what their boys were thinking. They nodded, agreeing without words that they would let them do what they felt was needed.

“Shall we?” Travis asked rhetorically, smirking in anticipation.

"Travis, we face incredible odds 30 something against the two of us. I'd ask if you were sure you knew what you were doing if I didn’t think that you would bite my head off for it. Now all we need is a plan," Josh states grinning at his brother.

"Already got one. It's bold, dangerous, and some might even call it stupid. But with your skills and mine we can pull it off. Several places around the Amaterasu have full diagrams of the ship, but none of these show the service entrance that was installed when the ship was repaired. Our best chance is to sneak in there." Travis looked at his watch for a second. "Based on the time of the message, the ship was taken at its most vulnerable moment, dinner time. So that means these terrorists will be heavily concentrated in the dining hall, but with guards posted at each of the five main entrances.

"I would guess two at each of the four air lock entrances and eight or so at the main hallway leading to the main cargo bay. They probably won't bother covering the hanger bays as they have no way to be opened from the outside." Travis picked up a suitcase that had been leaning against the room’s entertainment center. Opening it, he reached in and pulled out a map of the Amaterasu’s corridors.

"Alright Josh, we will enter here," Travis points to a spot on the map where the hole was repaired, "at the service entrance. I will first go around and take out the guards one group at a time at the airlocks. I know you have your weapons with you, and I'm guessing some form of armor."

Josh nodded with a grin. "Thought so. You will take on the group guarding the entrance to the main cargo bays. After that we will meet here, in the enlisted mess head then we will move out together and survey the situation at the main dining hall." (3)

Josh nodded as he looked at his brother. "Sounds good man. I think with your plan, and my skills and weaponry, we should be able to do this. Do you have a spare comlink or two by any chance?"

"Two actually, both earpiece style," Travis replied.

"Good. In that case, leave your large one with Mitsuki and Dee and we will each take one of the earpieces for tactical advantage. Mitsuki, Dee, neither of you are to call us on the comlinks. If we call to you then that’s one thing but you calling us could get us killed." Josh explained.

Mitsuki and Dee both nod hesitantly. Then, unhurriedly, they each moved to their respective love and hugged them tightly, knowing the risks they were about to partake in.

Josh got up and went to his room and then returned with a strange trunk. Travis remembered that Josh had brought to the hotel, but never saw what was in it.

Josh opened the trunk and pulled out a left arm bracer, two very light chest plates made of jintarian steel, and several small daggers. Josh handed Travis the larger of the two chest plates. "Here bro, try this on. I made it for you but I don’t know how well it will fit being as you haven't tried it on."

Travis pulled the chest plate on; it fit almost perfectly. "How much do you think it will block Josh?"

"I'd say anything short of a 50 cal sniper rifle but will probably leave a few bruises. Should be all that we need," Josh said confidently.

"Good, it's settled then. We head out as soon as you’re finished. You aren't going to wear that coat are you?" Travis asked.

"Are you kidding of course I am. One, it hides most of my weapons so my enemies don’t know what I have, two, it is laced with jintarian steel so it doubles as a light armor, and three, it just looks cool!" Josh proclaimed.

Travis closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose with a groan. Dee started laughing, and Mitsuki covered her mouth as a titter escaped.


(1): Back in Chapter 12

(2): What, you expected him to use good grammar?

(3):
In English, mess head means: The enlisted soldier’s chow hall bathroom.


Author's Note:
Hey! It's me Thor again. You have no idea just how sorry I am its taken me this long to get this finished, life has been hell but its done finally. I've already started on Chapter 14. I know that you were probably expecting a lot more action but with the way the story has been going recently I decided it was time to relax for a little while I mean life isn't always near death and fighting and "Oh my God, it’s the end of the world!" type stuff. Besides you need to know Josh better anyway.



Will’s Note:
I know it’s been almost a year since we’ve updated this story, and I apologize. My muse went on strike, and Thor’s had other responsibilities. It shouldn’t take quite so long for the next chapter (I hope). I had been going to write this chapter by myself, but after the first few pages my muse went on strike and left one huge writer’s block in her place.