Fake Fan Fiction ❯ I Forever Do ❯ Self-Less Personalities ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Dee and Ryo traveled to the hospital in silence, still stunned at how, calmly, Commissioner Rose had taken their engagement announcement. Ryo gazed down at his engagement ring and smiled, he was glad that everyone seemed to have been embracing their upcoming marriage rather than shunning it as the news broadcasted night after night. But, it was the millennium and Manhattan of all places, the city that was basically a whole other world, things like gay marriage as much as people were against it, were also opened with welcome arms by groups of other people that saw no problem with it.
 
Dee was also happy like Ryo, but also pensive. He basically proved to Berkeley Rose that Ryo and he were meant to be, but he was also concerned that the commissioner was so accepting. He couldn't help worrying that the commissioner might have been up to something. But when he looked over at Ryo whose sweet smile was gracing his face he let it drop. No sense in ruining a good moment with worry.
 
“Whatcha thinking about?” Dee asked when he stopped at a traffic light.
 
Ryo looked up.
 
“Oh just about how well everything is going for us.” He answered. “I mean we're getting married and everyone is happy for us. I was kind of scared that you and I would be…I dunno…ousted.”
 
“Pfft.” Dee said as he shot the car forward when the light turned green. “People are not as narrow minded as you may think. Not the people we hang with anyway.”
 
“Mm.” Ryo responded. “That makes me glad. I don't want anymore chaos about our wedding then we will already be facing.”
 
Dee lit a cigarette as he drove with one hand.
 
“Speaking of said wedding and people.” He said. “Did you tell you're aunt yet?”
 
Ryo shook his head.
 
“Elena and Rick have been out of the country. Elena's been working with a charity to get pictures of the tragedy of AIDS in Africa and Uncle Rick went with her for some business conference. He's gonna see if at the conference he can nudge people to help out with the cause. They are going to be back next week, so I'll see if we can all get together.”
 
A thought occurred to Ryo suddenly and his eyes dropped. Dee saw.
 
“Baby, you okay?” He asked as he pulled into the hospital parking lot.
 
Ryo nodded.
 
“I was just remembering how my parents would do things like that when they went overseas. Back in the eighties when the first Live Aid Concert was going on my parents happened to be in England at the time for an art program. They wanted to help the Live Aid organization with its goal so they got an idea. They made a deal with local artists that for anyone who can paint the best the depiction of the devastation of poverty and AIDS in Africa, they would buy it for a thousand dollars and donate it to the charity. In turn the charity would auction it off and the proceeds would go to help children in Africa.”
 
Dee reached over and stroked Ryo's hair.
 
“My parents were always good like that.” He continued. “Even though dad came from some rich family, money wasn't a main concern to him. When they heard he had blown a thousand bucks on some “scribble” by a deadbeat artist, he ignored them because mom and dad knew that they were doing a good thing. In fact, they took all the art that was submitted and donated them all to the charity and auctioned those as well. They raised over five thousand dollars. When they came home, they showed me pictures they had taken of all the paintings and how the money helped the kids. I was only eight at the time, but I dunno, it really struck. My parents said we would all go to Africa when I was older and we would all do what we can to help.”
 
Ryo sighed.
 
“Did you ever get a chance to go?” Dee asked as he caressed Ryo's face.
 
Ryo sniffled a little.
 
“It was supposed to be my high school graduation present.” He said. “A big trip to Africa just the three of us where we would also do some charity work. I was really looking forward to it, but then…”
 
He couldn't finish as a tear ran down his nose. Dee reached over and embraced Ryo.
 
“Now I know where you get such a selfless personality.” Dee whispered.
 
“I just miss them so much Dee.” Ryo responded tearfully. “Especially now, it hurts even more. I want them to be here when we get married. To see how happy I am with you and celebrate our joy. To see what a wonderful man you are.”
 
Dee held Ryo as he sobbed. Dee could understand that as happy as a time this was for them, it was also a sad time. Jess, Dee's best friend Arnon, and Ryo's parents were dead. Even though Ryo and Dee both believed in an afterlife it was nothing compared to having the people they loved physically with them, a part of one of the most beautiful moments the two of them would share.
 
Finally Ryo let up and shook his head.
 
“I'm sorry Dee.” He said. “I am being a big baby. I don't know what I get so damn sensitive.”
 
Dee smiled and held Ryo's face in his hands.
 
“Shut up.” He said. “You have every right to be sad and you're not a baby. Just proving to me why I love you so much and why I can't wait till the day I marry you.”
 
Ryo smiled.
 
“I can't wait either.”
 
He reached over and kissed Dee lovingly.
 
“Good.” Dee said happily. “Now let's get this interview done, so you and I can go home and I can show you the other reasons why I love you so much!”
 
Dee grinned mischievously and bounced out of the car. Ryo giggled, rubbed his face clean of the remaining tears, and got out. He walked beside Dee and gave his hand a quick squeeze before walking into the hospital.
 
The victim was very helpful even though she was unable to identify the attacker's face. She had just gotten off the subway after a long day at work and had just reached her apartment when she had been jumped. It had been dark and it was evident he was wearing a mask. Patricia Gardner was very distraught, but Ryo and Dee made sure they kept the questions as discreet as possible. Dee's cell phone went off in the middle of the interview, so he excused himself and Ryo continued the interview.
 
“Is there anything else you can recall Ms. Gardner?” Ryo asked the young woman sweetly. She had been crying and Ryo had handed her a tissue.
 
The woman shook her head as she blew her nose.
 
“I'm sorry.” She said shakily. “I wish I did, dammit I wish I did. But it was too dark and his face was covered. He just kept calling me names as he….she choked…his breath was disgusting. I could smell it through the mask.”
 
Ryo looked over at her.
 
“This may sound gross, so please bear with me.” He said. “But was the smell familiar to you at all…like a smoker might have?”
 
The girl thought for a moment and nodded.
 
“Yeah he had smoker's breath alright and I think he had been drinking that night too, I thought he had taken a Budweiser bath.”
 
Ryo smiled and jotted the notes down.
 
“Anything else you can remember?”
 
“No.” She said. “I wish I did. But between the mask and his gloved hand, I couldn't see a thing. And god his…”
 
She began to cry and Ryo put his arm around her. She had tried to describe the initial rape and the thought was too much.
 
“It's alright Patricia.” He said soothingly. “You have been very helpful and brave. He threatened you and you didn't let it stop you from getting help. You rest now and leave the rest to the police. I promise you we'll find him.”
 
Ryo held her until she had finished crying. Once he knew she was calm he left the room where Dee was waiting having just shut off his cell phone.
 
“That was forensics.” He said. “The results from the rape kit just came in. The bastard used a condom so there was no semen left on the victim. Not even a damn pubic hair.”
 
“Sounds like he isn't an amateur.” Ryo said. “Patricia did really well though, even though we don't have much to go on, she gave as much as he could. He used a mask and leather gloves so identification is going to be hard.”
 
Ryo's cell went off just then and he excused himself to answer it. Dee took the opportunity to have a cigarette. People like Patricia's attacker made his blood boil. Preying on innocent people and brutally hurting them. Ryo came out a few minutes later.
 
“That was the chief.” Ryo said. “He's going to have police officers posted at every subway station near Patricia's apartment speaking to riders if they know anything about the attack. Most likely the news is going to leak the story anyway, so might as well use it our advantage.”
 
“He wants us posted at the subway too right?” Dee asked
 
“Yeah.” Ryo answered. “But he said we can call it a day since there is not much we can go on at the moment.”
 
Dee blew out the last of his cigarette and squashed it under his shoe.
 
“Good.” He said. “It's too damn hot to investigate anyway.”
 
He wiped the sweat off of his face.
 
Ryo checked his watch.
 
“Bikky should be home, anyway, so how about I just make dinner and we can relax tonight?”
 
Dee smiled.
 
“Sounds good.” He threw his arm around Ryo's shoulders and the two left the hospital just as the sun began to set.