Fake Fan Fiction ❯ I Forever Do ❯ After Hours ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Ryo approached Commissioner Rose nervously while Dee walked in hunched over with his hands in his pockets. The blonde haired glassed adorned commissioner motioned for the two to sit as he finished signing some paper work. Ryo was edgy as he sat straight up in his chair while Dee just slouched with a scowl on his face. Finally, the commissioner put his pen down and looked at the two detectives.
 
“So what'dya want?” Dee asked before the commissioner could even open his mouth. Not one for waiting, Dee wanted to get in and get out of there as soon as humanly possible. Ryo just gave him a look of caution while Rose just hmmphed.
 
“Such a good natured detective.” Rose said sarcastically. “Nice to see you too Laytner.”
 
Dee just grimaced as Rose continued.
 
“I called you in here because I have a case for you two.”
 
“Not a crappy one I hope.” Dee responded. “That last case where we were on a stakeout for three nights straight just to find out it wasn't actually the perp we were looking for was a pain in the ass.”
 
“Dee…” Ryo scolded.
 
“No worries Maclean.” Rose said looking over at the fair haired detective with a smile. “I understand Laytner's frustration. After all, far be it for me to interrupt his much needed rest. Those naps he takes constantly at his desk when he should be working on reports can't possibly be enough.”
 
Ryo rolled his eyes as Dee growled under his breath. Dee and Berkeley were like two cats fighting over a female. Except this female was a tomcat named Ryo Maclean. Commissioner Rose had made it clear he had feelings for Ryo. Especially when he planted a big wet one on Randy when he “accidentally” slipped and Rose had caught him. In reality Rose had deliberately tripped the detective, caught him, and SMOOCH right on the kisser. Though the moment was tender for Rose, it ended painfully. Ryo socked him one right in the chin right after he pulled away. Ryo was certainly stunned that he had done that and thought his career was over right, but Rose only smiled, recovered, and walked on. After all, why fire a good detective and an overall good man because feelings were not shared? Besides, there was always hope.
 
“Maclean?” Rose said. “You with us?”
 
Ryo shook his head.
 
“Yes sir.” He said.
 
“Good.” Rose responded. “As I was saying, I'm assigning you two to a new case that was just opened today. A serial rapist has been stalking women on the subway late at night. He follows them off the train, goes as far as their place, grabs them, puts a gun to their head and threatens to kill them if they fight him off. When he's done, he threatens if they say something to anyone; he'll kill them since they now know where they live.”
 
Rose paused to make sure they were listening.
 
“It's been going on for a few days now; the victims have been too scared to speak to anyone, not even their family or friends have known about it, but last night one victim came forward just after she was attacked. Her name is Patricia Gardner and she is right now at New York University Hospital. I want you two to interview her and see if you can find any clues about who this attacker is before he strikes again.”
 
Ryo nodded more then ready to get on the case. Rose turned back to his paperwork.
 
“Unless you two have any questions, you're free to go and get started.” He said
 
Just then Ryo's engagement ring hit the sunlight and sparkled, catching Rose's eye. The Commissioner raised an eyebrow.
 
“I never knew you were one for wearing jewelry Maclean.” He said before Ryo and Dee could open the door. Ryo looked down at his engagement ring while Dee had a big grin on his face. The night Dee had proposed to Ryo, Rose was on third shift working on a drug case. The case had been solved that night and he decided to take his paid two week vacation. He had only returned that morning.
 
“Well, sir, uh…” Ryo stammered with a slight blush.
 
Rose stared at Ryo and then at the smiling Dee and immediately his stomach fell to his knees. The same feeling he had when he was booking the suspect he had just nabbed in the drug case that night. He had brushed it off as not eating before going off on the case.
 
“You're not…” Rose stammered trying to maintain his calm, cold demeanor.
 
“WE IS!” Dee yelled. “Me and Ryo are engaged! I proposed to him on his birthday and he said yes!”
 
Rose's glasses slipped off his nose.
 
“Oh really…”
 
“Yup!” Dee said as he grabbed a hold of Ryo and planted a big kiss right in front of Rose. Ryo was stunned himself that Dee had burst out the news to the commissioner.
Rose stood up. While Dee was smirking and holding Ryo, Ryo was pensive. Gay marriage was not exactly a welcome thing to some people, but that wasn't his concern when it came to Rose. His concern was whether or not the NYPD would embrace their marriage. After all, Rose was still the commissioner and had to stand by the rules of the NYPD regardless whether or not he agreed. Ryo gulped as the Commissioner approached him. Ice blue eyes stared deeply into midnight. He saw Ryo's answer in those beautiful eyes.
 
“Allow me to give you my congratulations then.” Rose said with a small smile and extended his hand to Ryo. Ryo stared at him and then the hand and gently placed his hand inside Rose's.
 
“Thank you sir.” He said as they shook hands. Rose could barely breath as he felt that soft skin against his own. He wanted to pull that hand towards him so Ryo's face was close to his and kiss him, but he controlled himself as he realized it wasn't just he and Ryo in the room. He turned his head to Dee.
 
“You too Laytner.” He said reluctantly releasing his hand from Ryo and extending it to Dee. “Take care of Maclean.”
 
Dee looked up at Rose seriously and shook the hand. He was still wary of Rose, but for Ryo's sake, he kept his mouth shut from spouting any suspicions.
 
“You know I will.” He said as he quickly shook Rose's hand, released it and put his arm around Ryo. “Come on partner.”
 
Ryo nodded and the two walked out of the room closing the door quietly behind them. Rose stood there for a long time, then turned his back and slowly slid down the door heavy with emotion. He wouldn't cry, but he was pretty damn close. He genuinely cared about Ryo and for him to be marrying that deadbeat Laytner was a mistake. But that look in those eyes told everything. That he truly loved Dee. Suddenly, Berkeley really needed a friend to talk to.
 
Rose got up, walked back to his desk and picked up the phone. After dialing the number and a few short rings later, someone picked up.
 
“Agent Diana Spacey please.” He said kindly. A pause. “This is Commissioner Berkeley Rose of the 27th Precinct in Manhattan, New York.” Another pause. “Oh out on assignment? When will she be back? Oh. No it's alright, you don't have leave a message, just let her know I called if you can. Thanks.”
 
In that moment, Commissioner Berkeley Rose felt truly alone.