Fake Fan Fiction ❯ I Forever Do ❯ Mother Knows Best ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

More than angry words i hate this silence
it's getting so loud
well i wanna scream
but bitterness has silenced these emotions
it's getting hard to breathe
so tell me isn't happiness
worth more than a gold diamond ring?
i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe
 
i might need you to hold me tonight
i might need you to say it's alright
i might need you to make the first stand
because tonight i'm finding it hard to be your man
~Darren Hayes
 
Ryo walked into his apartment just after 5pm. Bikky was playing a video game in the living room, but stopped when he saw the sad look on Ryo's face.
 
“Hey Ryo..you okay?” Bikky asked caringly.
 
“What don't I get a hello first?” Ryo said jokingly…but it came out sharp.
 
“Whoa sor-ry.” Bikky said.
 
“Sorry Bikky.” Ryo said quietly. As he put his stuff away and hung up his coat. “It's been a bad day.”
 
“Oh.” Bikky said. “You wanna talk `bout it?”
 
“Not right now kiddo.” He said sitting down at the table. “I think I am going to let you order a pizza tonight, I'm too beat to cook.”
 
“Sure, no prob.” Bikky said walking into the kitchen. “Where's Dee, working late?”
 
Ryo ran a hand through his hair not answering Bikky's question.
 
“Why does something tell me the perv had something to do with your bad day.”
 
“I already said not right now Bikky.” Ryo said standing up. “I'm going to go lie down for awhile. There's twenty bucks in my wallet, use that to order dinner.”
 
“Okay Ryo.” Bikky said worriedly. Ryo smiled as he saw the concerned look on his face and walked over to him and ruffled his hair.
 
“It's alright B.” He said. “Dee and me just had a little fight. It'll blow over. We just need a little time apart to cool off.”
 
`I hope.'
 
Dee walked through the cool autumn dusk. He had called the precinct and told him he wasn't feeling so good and that he was taking a half day. The chief of course was pissed, but Berkeley calmed him down. He understood that Dee needed the rest of the day to sort things out. He hoped his meeting with Dee had knocked some sense into his thick head. When Ryo came into the precinct two hours later, he told the detective that Dee had called in sick, but that it was probably nothing. Ryo, though tempted to go home and check on Dee, knew better. He sat at his computer and aimlessly worked on reports, hoping that when he got home Dee would be waiting for him.
 
Dee, at the moment, however was walking in another direction away from Ryo's apartment. As he entered a poorer part of the area he saw his destination.
 
SUDDENLY…
 
“OKAY SCUMBAG! HAND OVER ALL YOUR GOODS IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YA!”
 
Dee rolled his eyes.
 
“Oh puhleese, you're still pulling that shit you punk?” Dee said.
 
“Dee…OUCH…HEY LEGGO!”
 
“Yeah right Thomas.” Dee said as he tugged the child's ear leading him into the direction of the old church. “Normally I'd find your repeat offense funny, but I'm not in the mood tonight.”
 
“Awww…come on Dee…OW OW OW…NOT SO HARD!”
 
“Heh…you think I'm bad…just you wait.”
 
Dee reached the old church and rang the bell. A few moments later an elderly nun appeared. Her eyes lit up when she saw Dee, then turned fiery when she the ear he was tugging.
 
“THOMAS CAIN!” She yelled. “I HAVE BEEN LOOKING ALL OVER FOR YOU! IT'S DINNERTIME AND YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO COME IN WHEN I CALLED YOU!”
 
“But Penguin…OUCH!”
 
The nun grabbed his other ear as Dee released him from his grasp.
 
“He decided to play juvenile delinquent again.” Dee said crossing his arms. “Tried to rob me when I was coming over here.”
 
The boy laughed nervously, but the nun glared at him.
 
“Oh he was…was he?” She said. “Well just for that…tomorrow I want you to write me fifty Hail Mary's and fifty Our Father's and then you can help me clean the bathrooms right after school!”
 
“AW PENGUIN…OUCH!” She tugged again as she led the boy inside.
 
“AND THE NAME'S MOTHER YOU LITTLE BEAST!” She said angrily. “Now off to dinner and I'll be sure to tell Sister Anna to skip your dessert tonight!”
 
She gave the boy a gentle push towards the dining hall and the boy went off grumbling and rubbing his sore ear.
 
Dee laughed. “Still a hard ass, eh Penguin?”
 
Before he knew it the nun had grabbed his own ear.
 
“WATCH YOUR MOUTH AND WHAT'S MY NAME AGAIN!?”
 
“Sorry Mother.” Dee said annoyingly.
 
The nun smiled and released her fingers from his ear and then wrapped her arms around him in a warm hug.
 
“Oh so good to see you Dee!” She said sweetly. “How have you been?!”
 
Dee sighed. “I've been better. Besides it was only two weeks ago that you saw me last.”
 
“Oh you poor thing, you look tired.” She said. “How's Ryo, has he been taking care of you?”
 
Dee was silent.
 
“Oh dear.” Mother Maria Lane said when she saw the sad look on Dee's face. “Is everything alright with you and him?”
 
“I don't really wanna talk about it right now.” Dee said.
 
Mother Maria put her arm around his shoulder.
 
“Alright my child.” She said. “Well, since you're here you might as well stay for dinner. The children should all be seated now and there is always room for an extra guest. They'll be glad to see you.”
 
“I'd like that.” Dee said with a small smile and walked with her to the dining hall.
 
It was nearing 8pm and Dee still hadn't returned home. He tried calling Dee's apartment but got no answer. The same went with Dee's cell phone. Bikky watched as Ryo paced nervously around the apartment. Ryo had emerged from his room when the pizza arrived, but barely touched his slice. Mostly just stared at the clock or ran to the phone to try Dee.
 
“Come on Ryo.” Bikky said. “Dee is fine…he's tough…he knows the streets.”
 
Ryo sighed.
 
“It's not that I am worried so much about Bikky…I just wish he was here so he and I can talk. I don't like this silence between us.”
 
Bikky sighed. Truth be told he was pretty pissed that Dee wasn't man enough to come home and talk to Ryo. But, he wouldn't say that to Ryo. His foster dad was upset enough as it is.
 
“Well…it's Dee.” Was all Bikky could come up with.
 
“Yeah…I know.” Ryo said staring out the window.
 
Back at the orphanage Mother Maria finally had a chance for some private time with Dee. The children were now in their rooms for the night doing homework, or the younger ones asleep. The elder children were busy doing their nightly chores around the church/orphanage. Dee and Mother Maria were now sitting in her little room as Dee poured his heart out to her.
 
“Oh my child.” She said holding him once he had finished.
 
“I just don't want to be married to him if he is going to do that every time someone plays the pity card.” Dee said. “But I love him so much.”
 
“But you got your answer didn't you?” Mother Maria said. “The man he was with told you what had happened and Ryo is an honest person…that seems like the total truth.”
 
Dee didn't answer. Mother Maria chuckled.
 
“Do you remember?” She said. “When you were five and you suddenly wanted to be a police officer like Jess? You wore a little officer costume that Jess got you for Christmas? You would toddle around the orphanage trying to arrest criminals when really you just wanted an excuse to use your gear.”
 
“Heh…yeah.” Dee said. “And Jess said to me never to use my toy gun unless it's a dire situation. Of course being me, I didn't listen and pointed that thing at everyone.”
 
Mother Maria looked out at her window.
 
“I remember…you were so convinced you were a police officer that one time you got into a fight with one of the older boys because you thought they were stealing from the orphanage donation box we have in my office.”
 
Dee laughed.
 
“Yeah…turns out they were just adding some money INTO the box.”
 
Mother Maria laughed.
 
“You were so intent on hauling them to your jail without even giving them a chance to say their side of the story. That little stubborn streak you have. You were so proud of yourself, but when I explained to you that I had told them I just needed someone to help me clean my office, you got so mad.”
 
Dee smiled.
 
“I wanted so bad to catch a criminal in the act and thought I really had. I didn't believe him and I started to attack the guy telling him what a liar he was.”
 
“He smacked you good.” Maria said. “And I had to punish you both for two weeks.”
 
“Yeah that wasn't fun.” Dee said rubbing the spot on his head that the older boy had hit him so many years ago. Mother and son continued to laugh and a light bulb suddenly went off in Dee's head. He looked over at Maria.
 
“You're sneaky you know that?”
 
She smiled.
 
“I'm your mother…I am supposed to knock sense into that thick head of yours. You didn't want to listen to reason when it was staring you in the face, you wanted to believe you were right and that was it.”
 
“And you're telling me that I did that today with Ryo huh?” Dee said.
 
“Very much so.” Mother Maria said. The truth had been told to you…by both parties...yet still you needed proof that the man loves you. Ryo knows what he did was wrong, but he was afraid to explain the rest of the details. And I can see why, you walked away from the poor man before he could tell you the rest of the truth.”
 
Dee put his head in his hands. Mother Maria reached over and rubbed his back.
 
“You were hurt my child.” She said. “But Ryo didn't mean it…and this Rose person has told you what really happened. If he wanted to destroy you and Ryo's relationship, he would have lied and made up a whole other story. He had an opportune time to take Ryo away from you, but he didn't use it.”
 
“I know Mother.” He said. “I just…I just don't like other people touching him. I get so scared that if someone tries to make a move on him, he'll leave me for them.”
 
His thought was interrupted with a forceful tug on his ear.
 
“OW WHAT WAS THAT FOR!?” He yelled.
 
“To think my son could think of something so ridiculous!” Maria said. “Dee Laytner…Ryo Maclean loves you with his heart. He would never leave you…and if he even tried…he knows who he'd be messing with.”
 
Dee laughed.
 
“No one messes with my boy and gets away with it.” Mother Maria said. “I maybe old, but when it comes to my children no one escapes unscathed.”
 
“Aww Mother…”
 
“I mean Dee.” She said. “I saw the look at that boy's eyes the first time I met you. And you know I have a keen eye for good people…and he is one of them. I knew he was going to be extra special…and when you proposed to him that night…I said many prayers of thanksgiving to God. He brought my baby an angel to love and vice versa…and I'll be damned if I see that destroyed.”
Dee gazed at his mother and then reached over and gave her a warm hug.
 
“Thank you Mother.” He said quietly. “You always know how to make things right.”
 
“I told you…I'm your mother…it's what I do.”
 
Dee gave her one more hug and stood up. It was time for him to head out…he had one more thing he needed to do before it became too late.