Fake Fan Fiction ❯ I Forever Do ❯ Frank and Aiko Maclean ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Ryo and Dee stood on the front steps of the upstate New York house. It was a day before their stakeout and Ryo's Aunt Elena had invited the two to lunch at their home. Ryo had previously requested they take a half day since they did a little overtime. The night before after the two had stayed at the precinct four hours past their clock out time to scour the databases some more. Though the evidence Drake and JJ had found had trace amounts of DNA that didn't belong to the victim and Ted and Marty's stake out the night before didn't produce any arrests, moral was lifted and the 27 believed they were close to catching their culprit. But right now, as Ryo and Dee stood waiting for his aunt to answer the door, the detective couldn't help but be nervous.
 
“Ryo for Christ Sake!” Dee yelled as Ryo adjusted Dee's tie for the umpteenth time. “Everything is fine, you look fine, I look fine! Nothing bad is gonna happen.”
 
“Sorry Dee!” Ryo said stammering. He was about to say more when the door opened and the kind hearted fashionable Elena appeared.
 
“Ryo sweetie!” She said happily embracing her nephew. “I'm so happy to see you!” She looked over at Dee and gave him the same sweet smile.
 
“Hey Aunt Elena!” Ryo said looking at his aunt. “You look wonderful! How are you!?”
 
The middle aged woman smiled.
 
“Can't complain!” She said.
 
“Oh Dee!” She said giving the detective the same bear hug. “You look great! Looks like our Ryo has been taking care of you!”
 
Dee smiled.
 
“He has Elena, good to see you too again.”
 
“Well, don't just stand there you two, come on in!” She said ushering the two detectives into her house. “Rick is in the den watching another football game. Jeez, we leave America for a few weeks and he comes back here acting like he has never seen a television before! RICK GET YOUR BUTT OUT HERE! RYO AND DEE ARE HERE!”
 
The two detectives cringed at the shriek, but smiled. Smart, witty, outgoing, and beautiful, that was Elena, Ryo's father's baby sister. Both she and Frank (Ryo's father) had always beaten to a different drum growing up. Though Frank was the next Maclean male, he didn't really care about it or the amount of money he was born into that he was supposed to carry on. A child of the fifties and a teen into the sixties he cared more about solving the world's problems…much to his parents chagrin. Both he and Elena had taken an interest in the arts and Frank focused on studying it while Elena focused on doing it when she reached teenagerhood.
 
When Frank traveled to Japan for a semester he met Aiko Tsubara, a young woman the same age as Robert, from Tokyo also studying art. Frank and Aiko were often in the same classes together as Aiko was fluent in English…as she had studied English at a young age through a teacher who actually taught English at her school. Though her family was poor they had saved up enough for her to go to school as they wanted a bright future for all their children. The youngest of three children Aiko, like Frank and Elena, had a different outlook on life. While her brother Taro worked with his father in a nearby factory and her sister Kohana worked as a seamstress in Tokyo, Aiko had other plans. An amateur painter, she could spend hours glowering over a blank canvas trying to decide what she should paint. Since it was the sixties life had taken on new colors, with peace and love flowing freely in the United States, the hatred and horror of the Vietnam War taking place just south of where she lived. Using all those changes, she expressed them in her paintings. She won a few awards here and there and though she did strive to be a good artist, she wanted to learn every aspect of art there was...and that's how she ended up in the same classes as Frank Maclean.
 
Now, Frank like, most men, had hormones. He was captivated by Aiko from her long flowing jet black hair to her deep onyx eyes. The clothes she wore were plain compared to the women in America who wore everything from couture Twiggy had advertised to the jeans, sandals, and shirts without a bra underneath of the flower power girls. Aiko, was different as he could easily see. Often outspoken in class she could point out every aspect of a painting the professor shown, even things he had never come to realize before. Sometimes Frank would notice something as well and the two would have a debate which wouldn't end even after class was dismissed. Both intrigued by each other's intelligence the two would often meet after school where they would both discuss art or Aiko would show him one of her paintings. With each meeting the two would find themselves more and more attracted to one another until one day Frank couldn't help himself.
 
“See I think what the artist is trying to portray here is a sense of loathing, a sort of hatred, almost to the point of death…what do you think Frank-san?”
 
Frank however had been staring at her dreamily.
 
“Frank-san!” Aiko yelled.
 
“Huh, wha!?” He said shaking his head.
 
“I asked you what you think the artist is trying to portray in this painting.” Aiko said pointing to the picture in the book.
 
“Oh…oh yeah…loathing…right.” He said.
 
Aiko laughed as the two sat on the grassy hill near the university.
 
“What's with you today?” She asked. “You've been acting strange.”
Frank sighed.
 
“Just thinking.” He said.
 
“About?”
 
“I have to go back to America in a week.” He said quietly.
 
Aiko darted her eyes away from him. She had forgotten he was just there for a semester abroad and then come the summer he would have to go back to the USA.
 
“Oh.” She said closing the book.
 
“I don't want to go back.” He responded laying down on his back looking up that the sky. Aiko knew why as Frank had told her that he was none too fond of his family's greed and snobbish attitude.
 
“They are your family Frank.” She said. “And it's America. You don't have to stay with them if you don't want to. You should have the means to get out on your own.”
 
“Pfft…like they would help.” He said. “They have already shipped my little sister off to boarding school and she's not even ten yet. What's the purpose of going somewhere when you have no one to be there with you?”
 
“Isn't that the point?” Aiko asked. “To seek adventures on your own? To discover things about yourself without the aid of others?”
 
Frank sat up and looked at Aiko.
 
“Why do you think I came here?” He said. “I came here not just to study, but to get away and learn new things and…I found what I was trying to look for.”
 
“Which was?” Aiko asked looking deep into his blue eyes. A subtle wind suddenly blew brushing some of the long hair away from Aiko's face revealing her beauty. Never before had she looked so lovely. He couldn't resist. He leaned in and placed a soft kiss on her mouth. He pulled away to see a tinge of pink coloring her pale cheeks.
 
“Frank-san…” She whispered.
 
“You…” He said. “I found you. And I don't want to let go.”
 
He took her hand in both of his and stared deeply into her eyes.
 
“I love you Aiko Tsubara. Let me stay in Tokyo with you.” He said. “I don't need America or my family and their money. All I want is you.”
 
Aiko stared at their joined hands sadly.
 
“You know you can't Frank-san.” She said. “You have plans in America. You have to finish your schooling there. You can't give that all up for me.”
 
She sighed.
 
“And I have dreams too. I don't want to be tied down here with a husband and children.” She said.
 
“You don't have to be!” Frank said. “Then if I can't stay here. Come to America with me! You can paint there, you can work at a museum, you can still travel! I won't tie you down! I'll give you everything you need that my heart can give. I love you. I just can't be without you.”
 
He kissed her hand.
 
“I do want to be with you Frank-san.” She said. “And I do want to see America.”
“Then say yes!” He said.
 
“But.” She interrupted. “I have my family here. My own schooling to finish. I don't want to give them up either.”
 
Frank stared in silence. He knew she was right. Aiko couldn't leave her family, she loved them too much to run away with an American to a life of uncertainty.
 
“Aiko…” Frank said, but she had quickly gotten up.
 
“I'm sorry Frank-san.” She said with tears in her eyes as she ran off. He tried to chase after her but she got lost in the crowds. Crestfallen, Frank spent the next week getting ready to go home, arguing with his father that he did not want his damn company to throw him a graduation party after college or that he wanted to go on to get an MBA. Aiko dove herself into her studies and tried to forget all about the American man who had captivated her heart. She walked around like a zombie, painting furiously when she could. Her mother, Nozomi, noticed her daughter's odd behavior and sat her down the night before Frank's departure.
 
“Aiko, what's troubling you?” She said not beating around the bush.
 
Aiko shook her head.
 
“Nothing Mama.” She said.
 
“Don't lie to me daughter.” Nozomi said. She sighed. “It's about that American boy isn't it?”
 
Aiko shot up head up. She didn't tell her parents about Frank for fear on how they would react knowing she had loved an American.
 
“Taro saw you and he in town when he was doing a pick up for the factory.” She said. “He said you both looked very close. He was infuriated as was your father, but you were lucky I calmed them down enough not to say anything to you.”
 
“Gomen nasai mama.” Aiko said sadly. “You and father don't have to worry about him. He's going back to the U.S. tomorrow.”
 
“I'm not worried about him.” Nozomi said. “I'm worried about you. Are you in love with this boy?”
 
Aiko nodded as she tried to fight the tears in her eyes.
 
“You aren't….in trouble are you?” Nozomi asked nervously. She knew that these days carefree girls like Aiko were prone to getting themselves pregnant just because a boy whispered some sweet nothings in their ears.
 
“No Mama.” She said. “Frank-san and I haven't shamed you.”
 
Nozomi secretly prayed thanks to Buddha that her daughter and this Frank-san had been smart.
 
“Daughter.” She said. “Does this man truly love you?”
 
Aiko nodded. “He wanted to stay in Tokyo and give up everything that his family wants him to have because they are rich. I told him that he has to go back to America, that there is nothing here for him. But…”
 
“But?” Nozomi asked.
 
Aiko's eyes filled with tears.
 
“But he said that now that he has found me, he has everything.” She said. “He said he loves me. He doesn't want to tie me down. If he can't stay in Tokyo then he wanted me to go to America with him. But I can't do that. I can't leave you and papa and oni-chan and oni-san. I can't be without you all…but I love him mama.”
 
Nozomi frowned as her daughter put her head in hands and cried. Nozomi turned her head and saw her reflection in a nearby mirror. The wrinkles on her face were becoming prominent. Her eyes were tired and her skin was dull. She wasn't the carefree woman…like Aiko…anymore. She was now nearing sixty. She was already a grandmother to Taro and Kohana's children. Her husband was also showing signs of age as his hair and turned greyer and his hands began aching more and more. Her children were grown and as much as she wanted to keep them with her forever…she knew she couldn't anymore.
 
Nozomi sighed and lifted Aiko's chin up from her arms and turned to face her. With a smile she wiped the tears from her daughter's face and kissed her cheek.
 
“Go to him Aiko.” She whispered.
 
Aiko sat stunned as her lip quivered.
 
“Mama…”
 
“My daughter…my youngest child.” Nozomi said. “I have dreaded this day, but also welcomed it. You think so much of others that you forget about yourself. Your father and I held you so close while trying to give you the freedom you deserved. You have grown into such a beautiful woman. No longer the little girl whose hand I would hold. I can no longer keep you from the world.”
 
She stood up and went over to a jar. There she extracted some yen.
 
“Take this.” She said placing the money in her daughter's hands. “I have been saving it for you.”
“Mama I can't take this.” Again Aiko was stunned.
 
“My daughter.” She said. “If this man truly loves you and you want to be with him, if America is what you want, then you have my blessings. But with the condition you continue your schooling. If this Frank-san loves you as much as it seems, he will let you be who you want to be.”
 
Aiko couldn't stop her tears. Had her mother really given her permission to go to America with Robert? To be with this man they hardly knew? To take a chance on an uncertain future?
 
“But what about you and father!?” Aiko asked worriedly. “Taro and Kohana…don't you need me? You have given me so much and now this?”
 
Nozomi laughed.
 
“We aren't going anywhere my child.” She said. “And we will always be there when you need us. But now it is time for you to go out and see what the world has to offer. Taro and Kohana have taken their paths as your father and I did. Now you must choose yours.”
 
Aiko sobbed, but a large smile spread across her face as she grabbed her mother into a large embrace.
 
“Oh Mama…thank you…I love you.” She said through tears. Nozomi also feeling a little weepy held her daughter tight.
 
“Don't forget who you are Aiko.” She said. “Know that you're father and I and your brother and sister love you dearly. May this Frank take good care of you.”
 
She pulled away and held her daughter's face in her hands.
 
“Now…go to him.”
 
Frank sat in the Narita airport terminal watching the planes take off and land. He felt so unhappy. Aiko hadn't come to wish him farewell. It was going to be a long flight with a layover in London, England then from London to Syracuse. It was also nearing Christmas which meant that the flights were going to be packed. He really didn't want to go.
 
“Aiko…” He murmured.
 
“Boarding Call for Flight 1290 with nonstop service to London now boarding at gate 34. All passengers please have their tickets ready.”
 
Frank sighed, picked up his carry on and headed towards the gate. He handed his ticket to the staff member. He turned back to give Tokyo one last look.
 
“Sayonara Japan.” He said quietly. “I love you Aiko.”
 
“FRANK!” A voice called out. He turned, but didn't see anything and took another step.
 
“FRANK-SAN!” This time the voice was louder and recognizable. He turned and saw a figure heading his way. His jaw dropped when he saw who was coming.
 
“FRANK WAIT!” The running figure of Aiko Tsubara came into view.
 
“AIKO!” He yelled and ran to her and grabbed her in his arms and practically swung her around.
 
“Oh Frank-san.” She said burying her face in the collar of his shirt.
 
“Aiko.” He grabbed her face gently. “What are you doing here!?”
 
“You weren't at your apartment.” She said breahtlessly. “I figured you already left for the airport. I was scared I might have been too late.”
 
“I'm glad I got to see you one last time.” He said sadly.
 
She laughed and kissed his lips surprising him.
 
“It isn't the last time.” She held up a small envelope. Frank's eyes widen when he saw it was a one-way plane ticket with a layover in London with a nonstop flight to Syracuse, New York.
 
“Aiko…does this mean!?” He asked.
 
“I love you.” She said. “And I'm going to America with you. And my family is fine with it. Well, my mother is. If you are true to your word that you love me then I know everything is going to be alright. That is if you still want me to go with you?”
 
Frank smiled so wide his face looked like it was about to split in two.
 
“YES YES YES!” He yelled. “A MILLION TIMES YES!!” He picked her up and spun her around happily. “I love you Aiko!”
 
“ASHITERU FRANK-SAN!” She yelled laughing.
 
“Final boarding call for flight 1290 with nonstop service to London!”
 
Frank grabbed Aiko's hand and she gave her ticket to the crew member who smiled at the young couple. In fact the whole plane was beaming as the two lovers took their seats.
 
“You ready?” He asked as the plane began jetting down the runway.
 
“As I'll ever be.” She said as Frank took her hand. With fate completely up to them. They were ready.
 
And that's how the story of Ryo's parents came to be. Aiko and Frank returned to America where Ryo's grandparents basically gave them the boot after he was clear that he loved Aiko and refused to be a part of the nouve riche lifestyle. Ryo's grandfather was so angry that he never wanted to see Frank again even giving him money just to stay out of sight for being such a disgrace. Frank and Aiko both got part time jobs and continued their final semester at Syracuse University where they both graduated with a B.A. in Art while Frank backed his degree up by earning some certifications in business. He was determined to give Aiko the life she deserved and he did. Aiko got her green card and continued to paint as a hobby, but when she and Frank both found jobs as art dealers it dwindled. Aiko had a keen sense for picking out the best pieces of art to deal while Frank was able to handle the business side of the deal (the Maclean power of negotiation was an inherited trait). They had become a power couple in the art world at a very young age. Three years into their relationship, the couple finally saved up enough to marry. They traveled back to Japan where Aiko's family held a small Buddhist ceremony for them. Of course, Elena was the only one who had shown up, even though her parents forbade her to go. But being fifteen and a rebel in her own right, she knew how to sneak without getting caught, telling her parents she was spending the week at a friend's ranch in The Hamptons. Back in America Aiko and Frank got a marriage license making their marriage official. Two years later came little Randall...known as “Ryo” by his mother and “Randy” by his aunt. Aiko and Frank Maclean had a strong loving marriage. Destiny had brought them together and as sick and twisted as fate might have been…they died together. And even though death had claimed them horribly and way too early, they still stayed together forever watching their boy grow up into the man they prayed he would be since the moment he had entered this world.